Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If that happens, could the Jets not throw money at the problem and buy him out of his KHL agreement?
I can't see Chipman wanting to be forced to do that. You don't become a millionaire by wasting money. Can't Ves buy himself out of his KHL agreement with his future NHL money?

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well, you have 13.12 which deals with in-season transfers from and to Minor Leagues, and 13.10 defines Minor League:

13.10 Recognition of Minor League. For purposes of this Agreement, except as expressly set
forth in Article 9, Minor League club shall only include any club in the American Hockey
League.

(that exception from Article 9 being the ECHL for players on ELCs)

In-season transfers to and from other leagues simply aren't a thing, the one exception being the European Assignment clause.

Very good points there you got. The recalls seem to happen only from AHL.

But at the same time, CBA 11.19 explicitly talks of the duration of the Loan to AHL. Seems to be an iffy situation: either a) the Club can recall the EA clause player as if he was in AHL, or b) the Club get a little bit screwed over if a player uses the EA clause because strictly speaking he can't be recalled according to CBA 13.10 and 13.12.

Technically Club does initially Loan the player to minor league, only after which the player can make himself be Loaned to league outside NA.

As per the definitions in CBA 1:

"Loan" means the transfer of a Player from a Club's Active Roster, Non-Roster, Injured Non-Roster or Injured Reserve List to the roster of a club outside the NHL.

Upin reconsideration I have to say that it is possible that NHL goes by the option b) and the Club can't recall a player who uses the EA clause.

KHL may be especially tricky because there is no transfer agreement between NHL and KHL. At the same time, EA clauses are used especially by Russians who don't feel like bussing around for 70k in AHL when they have the KHL option.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If that happens, could the Jets not throw money at the problem and buy him out of his KHL agreement?

I'm not sure. But it seems like a massive risk just to send him to a league that really isn't going to be a much better developer than the AHL IMO.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jets already have him on contract. He's theirs already. If he was to be Loaned to KHL on the EA clause, I'm not sure he will actually sign a contract at all with the KHL team but there may a loan contract between the teams instead. In any case any KHL contract signed at this point can't contradict or override his existing NHL SPC.

The only thing preventing Jets from bringing him to NHL from KHL may be that there is a NHL rule preventing such midseason recall, and we don't know if there is. If Jets would put him in AHL, then it is KVes' option to stay in Europe as per the EA clause which the Jets gave him and are bound by. And they can't renegotiate the SPC, it is now what it is.

Last edited:

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
#24 pick in the first round isn’t always a sure thing!
I'm not saying that I don't think he will amount to anything. I am merely saying that I think he isn't ready to play on a North American ice surface in the NHL right now. A little work in the AHL would pay some real dividends. Maybe he pulls a Connor, but I think he needs a season's worth of seasoning.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Is it possible that they are making him think that he is closer to NHL than he actually is, just to make sure he stays with the Moose? I have not seen anything too impressive from him and i think that would be kinda genious.

Exactly what I was thinking. But I didn’t want to be the one that started the conspiracy theory. :popcorn:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Exactly what I was thinking. But I didn’t want to be the one that started the conspiracy theory. :popcorn:
I don't think of it as a conspiracy. Its just being a tactical. I see no reason why they'd waste Kristian's contract when he's no better than the other options at this moment. And it's not like he's that far from the NHL. He'll play 82 games next year, I'm pretty sure.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Not a great way to start a relationship with the team that drafted you.
He needs to develop and that should be done in the AHL.
The Jets likely know he’s not bluffing about going back to Europe.
Bit of tail wagging the dog here.

Reactions: GNP

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Is it possible that they are making him think that he is closer to NHL than he actually is, just to make sure he stays with the Moose? I have not seen anything too impressive from him and i think that would be kinda genious.
He has looked great at times as he is adjusting to the small ice. His compete level and his skating is clearly NHL level. Even his board work is pretty good already. Plus he has some good energy to his game.

I think it would be in his best interests to stay here. I have no doubt he would be one of the first call ups.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He has looked great at times as he is adjusting to the small ice. His compete level and his skating is clearly NHL level. Even his board work is pretty good already. Plus he has some good energy to his game.

I think it would be in his best interests to stay here. I have no doubt he would be one of the first call ups.
Oh, it absolutely would be best if he stayed, but this is a kid who's always chosen his own path, regardless of what he was told he "should" do.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Tolvanen went to the ahl this year Niku had the same out cause last year and went to the moose instead of going back to Finland . Clause was likely added to try and scare the jets into not demoting him. He said himself he wants to play in North America this year. He is not stupid he knows that means the ahl too or he would have just said he wants to play in the nhl this year.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Tolvanen went to the ahl this year Niku had the same out cause last year and went to the moose instead of going back to Finland . Clause was likely added to try and scare the jets into not demoting him. He said himself he wants to play in North America this year. He is not stupid he knows that means the ahl too or he would have just said he wants to play in the nhl this year.
Tolvanen has a 10 games in the AHL clause and after that he is free to play in Europe if he wants to. It’s not yet clear what he wants to do after those 10 AHL games.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Gotta save that for Stanley - Myers.

Anyway, you can't make a nickname for 2/3 of a line. Someone's gonna feel left out.
Good point. Call them The Twins and Little is the bridge between them.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Good point. Call them The Twins and Little is the bridge between them.

Now you're talking!

Pet peeve of mine with the fan art, though. The Twins are meant to have a guard tower at the center of the bridge
At least, that's how it's described in the books.

Reactions: Plural

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Now you're talking!

Pet peeve of mine with the fan art, though. The Twins are meant to have a guard tower at the center of the bridge
At least, that's how it's described in the books.

Pet peeve of mine is fantasy writers that come up with "really neat looking things" without giving any thought as to why they would be built that way in the first place. Why would you put a guard tower in the middle of a bridge that is already guarded at each end by towers? That would just needlessly complicate the structural engineering requirements to support a large stone structure in the center of the span.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Pet peeve of mine is fantasy writers that come up with "really neat looking things" without giving any thought as to why they would be built that way in the first place. Why would you put a guard tower in the middle of a bridge that is already guarded at each end by towers? That would just needlessly complicate the structural engineering requirements to support a large stone structure in the center of the span.
The Freys could drop 3 sets of portcullises and cut a passing army into 4 manageable chunks to murder at their leisure.
I understand it to be quite a bit smaller than the outer towers and situated directly over the central support. Honestly, I'm more worried what the bathroom is gonna cost.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Pretty good indication he’s starting the season with the Jets on a line with Roslovic and Ehlers.

But what number will he pick when we trade for RNH, Sam Bennett, Mika Zibanejad or Jacob Voracek?

:naughty: :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->