Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
10 -12 minutes for Vesalainen is more then fine. Problem for lemieux is he is not suited to play with roslovic and Perreault and is suited best to play with Lowry. More then likely he will be there by next year at the latest. It's between Ves petan and Dano for that spot and Ves is more likely to get that spot.

10-12 minutes is not enough. Imagine Connor or Roslovic starting off there and never having time to play more, and mature. And I think that is a good fit for Lemieux. Tanev-Lowry-Copp are defensive zone players trying to get the puck to the o-zone. Lemieux can score. Makes the line greasy. Good battle looming. Dano included. Petan is going to play centre mostly though, I think, and that puts him in spare part territory.

Reactions: libertarian

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The ice time is big for me. On the Jets he will get the least amount of ice time. Not a penalty killer. PP1 is likely set. Don't see which of Ehlers, Perreault, Litttle or Roslovic he knocks off of PP2. Maybe Roslo, but I think Jack is a better option.

That's why I favour Lemieux for the 10-12 minutes per game. He adds that toughness element too. I think our division is split between physical teams (Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas) and skilled teams (Nashville, Colorado, Chicago). I think we get more cheap shots against this year, as favourites. So I like a little sandpaper, and grit for the grind.

My wish would be Little, but I know that wouldn't happen.

Reactions: Ippenator

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
To me it's most likely they send him back to Finland for one more year. Even if hes good enough for NHL mins, hes probably better served playing big mins every game on a top line. Plus we can always bring him over when his Finnish season is done. Give him 9 games experience before sending him back home with a few things to work on.

Man he really has a pro style game though. He wasnt kidding when he said he considers himself more of an all around player than Laine lol

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Would be nice if they could bring him back 9 games before playoffs and let him play the playoffs so we have the best team possible. That would ruin the whole point of trying to get his ELC to slide but if the window is now, and the Jets have shown that they believe it is now with that Wheeler deal than they should put the best team possible. That said, I think he benefits from playing most of the season getting top line minutes and getting pp and pk time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
KV specifically said verbatim last season he planned to play in NA this season.

I'm sure its possible he goes back across the pond, but I would think a direct quote should be taken at face value.

What is interesting however is his 2018-2019 contract has no bonus' built in.

View attachment 140747
Without seeing the quote I'm thinking when KV was asked this last season he was talking NHL not AHL. Either way he signed his ELC in late summer with a Euro clause for year 1, and some of the Finnish indicated the local rumour was that the signing was being held up because KV's camp was pushing for a Euro clause. I think the ELC only having performance bonuses in year 2 and 3 is a little bit of financial protection for future earnings if he plays in Europe this season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Without seeing the quote I'm thinking when KV was asked this last season he was talking NHL not AHL. Either way he signed his ELC in late summer with a Euro clause for year 1, and some of the Finnish indicated the local rumour was that the signing was being held up because KV's camp was pushing for a Euro clause. I think the ELC only having performance bonuses in year 2 and 3 is a little bit of financial protection for future earnings if he plays in Europe this season.

There being no Performance Bonus for year 1 is strong indication that he expects to play (and burn) the year one now (mostly) in AHL where he can't meet the criteria anyway. If he went to Europe and slided this year, then he would play his Year 1 in 2019-20 and would surely have demanded the bonuses for that year too.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It makes way more sense for KV to play in the A this season if he's not going to be a regular Jet. Having a year to acclimatize to NA rinks and style of play, not to mention learning the Jets system of play with the Moose, is way more beneficial.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
It makes way more sense for KV to play in the A this season if he's not going to be a regular Jet. Having a year to acclimatize to NA rinks and style of play, not to mention learning the Jets system of play with the Moose, is way more beneficial.
I agree. Not only that, but there's a decent chance he could get called up during the year - multiple injuries at once are not uncommon. He will get top minutes with the Moose playing the Jets' system, and it will make a future transition much quicker.

It's not 'harmful' to play in Europe at all - he'll still develop well as a hockey player, but perhaps more of an opportunity cost, if that makes sense.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

You could also interpret this as financial protection for the Jets should he make the NHL out of camp, or perhaps play a good portion of the season in the show.

No performance bonus' this year of any kind could save the team $500,000+

Reactions: Mony Vibescu
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Here's the interview. It's back in this thread at post 259.

Kristian Vesalainen: I Hope To Play In North America Next Season

April 28th,2018

Depending on his team's play, a potential entry-level contract signing with the Winnipeg Jets could be a possibility for the Finnish star winger.

Although probably not yet ready to play with the Jets in the NHL, Vesalainen could see action with Winnipeg's farm club, the Manitoba Moose. After playing the majority of his career on an Olympic-sized ice surface, an adjustment period would most likely be needed for the forward. The Moose conclude their regular season on the 15th of April. The Stanley Cup Playoffs begin on April 10th.

Sticking to his word that he wants to play in North America next season, Vesalainen did not shy away from the possibility of seeing regular NHL minutes in 2018-19 in a recent interview with local Finnish media.

"I decided last year that after this season I will try the North American game," Vesalainen said (through translation). "It would be cool if I get to see some NHL minutes next season."

Although very set in his ways, the 6-foot-3, 210-pound forward is ready to help Karpat as best he can in his current playoff run.
"I want to play a big role, but I do not set expectations for myself," he said (through translation). "I do not listen to external pressure, but I just try to take it easy."

As a keen student of the game, Vesalainen already sends his hand-written reports to the Winnipeg Jets following each of his games, as a way to keep the parent club on top of not only how he is playing, but how he thinks and feels about his game as a whole, and his individual games of the season/playoffs.

Something else Vesalainen has been working on since his prepubescent days has been his shot. Whether it was from growing up aiming at paint cans in the garage after school, or shooting pucks out at the cottage in the summers, Vesalainen's next target is a net minder's water bottle sitting alone top shelf in North America.

Once again, the Finnish teenage 'Laine' connections have brought themselves into the spotlight. And according to the 18-year-old, it shouldn't be long until Manitobans get to see their most recent Finnish draftee play some good old Canadian puck.
By Carter Brooks

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll be absolutely shocked if Vesa isn't with the Jets all season long.

I'm beginning to be swayed in that directions as well.

Maurice's recent comments about the new Roslovic line needed strong wingers capable of playing strong on the boards doesn't bode well for Dano or Petan & I don't see either replacing Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers & Connor in the top 6.

It would force the team to go 14-7-2 so as not to expose Petan or Dano & strongly indicate Poolman & Niku begin this season on the Moose.

I'm really not a fan however of Myers playing LD & then having the 3rd pairing have one of Chiarot, Morrow, Kulikov play RD.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I'll be absolutely shocked if Vesa isn't with the Jets all season long.
the only absolutely shocking thing is how the majority of people here are already fully onboard with ves making the jets full time as a 19 year old and clearly inferior prospect to connor for example who supposedly wasn't ready at the same age. the same posters were so set on believing he needed time in the AHL.

"but ves is bigger and played against men already!!!"

please. vesalainen may or may not be ready this year but he is not better than petan and dano who people are penciling him in for in their place. i could see if tanev was the one they think should be replaced but that's not the case.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
the only absolutely shocking thing is how the majority of people here are already fully onboard with ves making the jets full time as a 19 year old and clearly inferior prospect to connor for example who supposedly wasn't ready at the same age. the same posters were so set on believing he needed time in the AHL.

please. vesalainen may or may not be ready this year but he is not better than petan and dano who people are penciling him in for in their place. i could see if tanev was the one they think should be replaced but that's not the case.

I certainly don't think he is "better" than either Petan or Dano at this point, but V-Ves does possess attributes these two are lacking that are also the ones Maurice values.

K-Ves' game is well suited for the Jets style, whereas Dano & Petan less so.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I certainly don't think he is "better" than either Petan or Dano at this point, but V-Ves does possess attributes these two are lacking that are also the ones Maurice values.

K-Ves' game is well suited for the Jets style, whereas Dano & Petan less so.
absolutely, and that's the problem for me. maurice does not do what's best for the roster in many instances. he is so hung up on things that for the most part do not matter, or matter so little that they should not be overshadowing things that actually do matter, like the things petan and dano are very good at thus making them effective hockey players. top 6 players, by my belief.

maurice always uses words like "heavy" and "big body" ...phrases like "he plays a heavy game". he also overvalues the aspect of speed by itself. guy was raving about how good ves was on the boards in that first game, which is fine, it's good to be effective along the boards, but it's such a small part of what makes a player effective and he is lacking in many other more important areas, at least currently, that petan and dano are much better at which makes them more effective players.

Reactions: Halberdier

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
absolutely, and that's the problem for me. maurice does not do what's best for the roster in many instances. he is so hung up on things that for the most part do not matter, or matter so little that they should not be overshadowing things that actually do matter, like the things petan and dano are very good at thus making them effective hockey players. top 6 players, by my belief.

maurice always uses words like "heavy" and "big body" ...phrases like "he plays a heavy game". he also overvalues the aspect of speed by itself. guy was raving about how good ves was on the boards in that first game, which is fine, it's good to be effective along the boards, but it's such a small part of what makes a player effective and he is lacking in many other more important areas, at least currently, that petan and dano are much better at which makes them more effective players.
Petan and Dano may or may not be top 6 players, but they are not top 6 players on this team. Hopefully other people see them as top 6 players and get a lot of value in a trade. I think what it comes down to is who has the best chemistry with Perrault and Roslovic and work from there.

Reactions: Ippenator and Ares

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
It seems like KV in his pro training camp is making more of a positive impression in PM's eyes than Petan has done has done after a number of pro training camp. If Petan was on the trading block this past summer(his lawyer suggesting they look for another team for Petan to be on) and there were no takers, aren't we over valuing Petan's value and his ability to be a player in the NHL. I doubt if Petan isn't anything more than a life AHLer.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

it's more of "what would be the best thing to do for Vesa's growth? the AHL or 3rd line minutes?"
we saw Connor, Petan, Ehlers and Laine get the same treatment. Connor and Petan failed.
if giving Vesa 3rd line minutes was best for his short and long-term development, then you do it because his ceiling's higher than Dano's and, possibly, Petan's

Reactions: Ippenator

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
it's more of "what would be the best thing to do for Vesa's growth? the AHL or 3rd line minutes?"
we saw Connor, Petan, Ehlers and Laine get the same treatment. Connor and Petan failed.
if giving Vesa 3rd line minutes was best for his short and long-term development, then you do it because his ceiling's higher than Dano's and, possibly, Petan's
When it comes to comparing Ves and Petan its almost guaranteed that his ceiling is higher it's not just a possibility.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
When it comes to comparing Ves and Petan its almost guaranteed that his ceiling is higher it's not just a possibility.
while i mostly agree with you, i would not guarantee it.
still have no clue how he'll look in a 80+ game schedule, more contact and smaller ice surface

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
this should be about coach icing the best possible roster right now during the cup window, not vesa's development.

plus vesalainen is not the same level of prospect that laine/ehlers were. the team's depth wasn't the same during those times too.

i also don't believe connor failed at all. same goes for petan but i won't open up that can of worms right now..

Reactions: Spock

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
its not about his development per say but the fact is he is better then the other options for that last spot and he is only 19. by Christmas playing with Perreault and roslovic and probably the odd shift on pp2 and practicing with the jets he will be miles ahead of were he would be playing on the moose while giving the jets the best possible lineup to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad