Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

"I don't like to look at the things that I'm not good at" Uff, the guy does come off a bit overconfident, which i already kinda knew.

I liked the interview. He's confident. He knows he has weaknesses to work on, so not cocky. He isn't thinking too far ahead. Go into TC and see what happens.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I hope he sticks around and doesn't rely too much on his "options".
I really like his game and his potential - hope he starts working the NA game / rink at the earliest.

Last edited:

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
I liked his performance in the game yesterday. Showed good puck handling skills holding the puck through traffic coming out from the corners and moving into the high scoring areas. Looks to be capable of winning board battles on a consistent basis.

I especially like how he likes to drive the net no matter where he gains possession in the offensive zone. Seems pretty smart at making quick give and go plays and slides into high scoring areas.

For those who like to state too much weight is put into a meaningless tournament against subpar opponents, I am not putting much weight to this tournament. It is just an opportunity to observe one of our best prospects in a Jets setting. I love watching development camp, young star tournaments and yes, even pre-season games for the sole purpose of focusing strongly on specific prospects without worrying about the final results.

I spend a lot more time watching my favourite prospects away from the puck. Focusing fully on individual players for their full shifts can be very revealing.

He finished with 2 assists (though in the broadcast they announced his second assist as going to Logan Stanley on the 4 on 3 powerplay)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I liked his performance in the game yesterday. Showed good puck handling skills holding the puck through traffic coming out from the corners and moving into the high scoring areas. Looks to be capable of winning board battles on a consistent basis.

I especially like how he likes to drive the net no matter where he gains possession in the offensive zone. Seems pretty smart at making quick give and go plays and slides into high scoring areas.

For those who like to state too much weight is put into a meaningless tournament against subpar opponents, I am not putting much weight to this tournament. It is just an opportunity to observe one of our best prospects in a Jets setting. I love watching development camp, young star tournaments and yes, even pre-season games for the sole purpose of focusing strongly on specific prospects without worrying about the final results.

I spend a lot more time watching my favourite prospects away from the puck. Focusing fully on individual players for their full shifts can be very revealing.

He finished with 2 assists (though in the broadcast they announced his second assist as going to Logan Stanley on the 4 on 3 powerplay)
Good assessment. What I liked was how effective he was along the boards, and how he processed the game at a high pace. He reads and reacts well. You could also see his very good physical tools. He's big, strong and fast and has good puck protection. In the offensive end he looks like he could be Armia with a great shot and better vision.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The biggest roadblock is our freaking abundance of talent on the wings! If Roslovic can be successful at C, that makes some room and also solves some other problems. Here's hoping!

Biggest road block might be salary cap

Might want bus elc to kick in next season instead of this season

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Vesalainen was top end at the u-18, and in some ways better than Tolvanen at the u-20, in my eyes. He played more of a pro style game in the u-20.

We definitely mean other tournaments as on those three pre-draft U-18, U-20 and U-17 tournaments where both Vesalainen and Tolvanen played, I don't think anybody would have chosen Vesalainen instead of Tolvanen.

Just for fun, combined stats for those:

18. 18+7=25, +5
vs.
18. 7+9=16, -3

There was also an additional pre-draft U18 tournament, but as Tolvanen was already a star at that level, he didn't attend that, but Vesalainen did. I guess you mean that by him being top end at the u-18?

On those pre-draft U18 & U20 they both attended, it was really night and day for the smaller guy.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
How much would he make if he decided not to play for the Moose and played in Europe?

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Probably something like 350 000-500 000 euro’s for the season.

That'd make him the best paid player in FEL and I don't believe that. Finnish teams don't have that much money, and Swiss teams rather pay for proven NHL players (even at their decline).

Maybe in KHL that would be possible, but I don't know if he has any motivation to go there. SKA has his rights. Jokerit was rumoured to be interested in him, but I don't think even they would pay him that much - especially since they would have to acquire his rights first.

My guess would be 150-200k in some FEL team.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That'd make him the best paid player in FEL and I don't believe that. Finnish teams don't have that much money, and Swiss teams rather pay for proven NHL players (even at their decline).

Maybe in KHL that would be possible, but I don't know if he has any motivation to go there. SKA has his rights. Jokerit was rumoured to be interested in him, but I don't think even they would pay him that much - especially since they would have to acquire his rights first.

I was talking about KHL all the way. I doubt he will go to play in Liiga. Practically Jokerit or AHL are the realistic options. I dont see any others really.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Play him 9 games in the NHL and the rest with the Moose and he'll earn around 150k in Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad