Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
this should be about coach icing the best possible roster right now during the cup window, not vesa's development.

plus vesalainen is not the same level of prospect that laine/ehlers were. the team's depth wasn't the same during those times too.

i also don't believe connor failed at all. same goes for petan but i won't open up that can of worms right now..
yes, i'm familiar with the Petan can of worms. his linesmates weren't the best, but i think that he showed enough bad habits to warrant his reduced icetime. more risks vs benefits when he was on the ice. but we digress

i'm honestly not sure as to what kind of prospect Vesalainen really is. to be honest, he looks a hell of a lot better on his skates than Laine did (or does). He's not as dynamic and we'll see how his shot translates, but i'm quite optimistic about him and what he'll bring.

this coach needs to be icing the best roster possible to ensure our ongoing success. that includes bringing a 19 year old along and seeing if they can increase their level of game so that, come the last 1/3 of the season, you have a scary scoring threat on your third line and you have a defensively-responsible forward. Vesalainen will give you more than Dano. i'm tempted to think that, by the end of the year, this will be fact. perhaps this season, he and Petan will be at the same level (even with the age difference).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
yes, i'm familiar with the Petan can of worms. his linesmates weren't the best, but i think that he showed enough bad habits to warrant his reduced icetime. more risks vs benefits when he was on the ice. but we digress

i'm honestly not sure as to what kind of prospect Vesalainen really is. to be honest, he looks a hell of a lot better on his skates than Laine did (or does). He's not as dynamic and we'll see how his shot translates, but i'm quite optimistic about him and what he'll bring.

this coach needs to be icing the best roster possible to ensure our ongoing success. that includes bringing a 19 year old along and seeing if they can increase their level of game so that, come the last 1/3 of the season, you have a scary scoring threat on your third line and you have a defensively-responsible forward. Vesalainen will give you more than Dano. i'm tempted to think that, by the end of the year, this will be fact. perhaps this season, he and Petan will be at the same level (even with the age difference).
Discussing Petan is always a bit of a can of worms, but in all honesty I think VK will move quickly past him on the depth chart. Vesalainen looks to already have the necessary elements to be an effective NHLer. Give him some experience over the course of the season and he may help give us some nice mismatches in the bottom 6.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Dano and Lemeuix have nothing on Vesalainens game apart from fighting skills..

So far we've seen Veselainen play against rookies, and mostly non NHLers. If he can succeed against the likes of Suter, Dumba, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Subban and Ellis, etc then I will believe he is ready. What you see is what you get with Dano, Petan and Lemieux. They have all played against NHL competition. It's a good battle, that's for sure. Wonder if anyone else will get their names drawn in the hat as well.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
So far we've seen Veselainen play against rookies, and mostly non NHLers. If he can succeed against the likes of Suter, Dumba, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Subban and Ellis, etc then I will believe he is ready. What you see is what you get with Dano, Petan and Lemieux. They have all played against NHL competition. It's a good battle, that's for sure. Wonder if anyone else will get their names drawn in the hat as well.

Veselainen starts on the Moose its the Winnipeg way we are not Edmonton...

After that.... well as long as we win the Stanley Cup who cares....

Go :jets Go

Reactions: ocdaddy

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I like KV but if I ran the zoo he'd get the KC treatment, and spend some time in the AHL to get help with adapting to the NA rink, the extra coaching and development provided by the Moose team, and have the chance to learn the Jets' systems and get used to the speed and aggression of the game here and the stamina required for an 82-game season.

Given the Jets' embarrassment of riches at forward, I just don't see the point of forcing it -- especially when we have examples like Roslo and KC who earned their time, and of Petan who should have been left on the farm to develop when he was waiver-exempt. Niku has a better case to stay up over Chairot, IMO. I get that KV may head home if he doesn't make the Jets but I don't see that as a big deal -- plenty of opportunities to learn there too while getting stronger and sharper, and the chance to rejoin the team in the playoffs IIRC,

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I like KV but if I ran the zoo he'd get the KC treatment, and spend some time in the AHL to get help with adapting to the NA rink, the extra coaching and development provided by the Moose team, and have the chance to learn the Jets' systems and get used to the speed and aggression of the game here and the stamina required for an 82-game season.

Given the Jets' embarrassment of riches at forward, I just don't see the point of forcing it -- especially when we have examples like Roslo and KC who earned their time, and of Petan who should have been left on the farm to develop when he was waiver-exempt. Niku has a better case to stay up over Chairot, IMO. I get that KV may head home if he doesn't make the Jets but I don't see that as a big deal -- plenty of opportunities to learn there too while getting stronger and sharper, and the chance to rejoin the team in the playoffs IIRC,
Kc and roslovic spent time on the moose because they had players that were better then them to play ahead of them. Vesalainen is already a better player then the people he is up against. If he was not believed to be better already petan and Dano would have started on the line with Perreault and roslovic. He will get the 9 games and I can't see him looking back at all. Honestly I think lemieux might have past the other 2 players but seems best fitted for only a role on a line with Lowry.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It seems like KV in his pro training camp is making more of a positive impression in PM's eyes than Petan has done has done after a number of pro training camp. If Petan was on the trading block this past summer(his lawyer suggesting they look for another team for Petan to be on) and there were no takers, aren't we over valuing Petan's value and his ability to be a player in the NHL. I doubt if Petan isn't anything more than a life AHLer.

I know of teams that want Petan.
Trade means having the right price for both teams willing to get.
Also, I think Chevy wants to keep the young cheap players as Armia isn’t going to be the only Cap fatality.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Kc and roslovic spent time on the moose because they had players that were better then them to play ahead of them. Vesalainen is already a better player then the people he is up against. If he was not believed to be better already petan and Dano would have started on the line with Perreault and roslovic. He will get the 9 games and I can't see him looking back at all. Honestly I think lemieux might have past the other 2 players but seems best fitted for only a role on a line with Lowry.
lmao you are so full of shit man

who was better than connor the last 1-2 years? certainly not thorburn, hendricks and tanev that's for damn sure.

are you not in agreement that connor was a better prospect than vesalainen? our depth is better this year than ever so how exactly does that work

Reactions: KB1971

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
lmao you are so full of **** man

who was better than connor the last 1-2 years? certainly not thorburn, hendricks and tanev that's for damn sure.

are you not in agreement that connor was a better prospect than vesalainen? our depth is better this year than ever so how exactly does that work
I don't want to argue. Vesalainen is fighting for a spot with 2 players that sat in press box or were in the ahl the last 2 year connor and roslovic were fighting for spots against players that had 100's of games of nhl experience and have made starting teams before.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I don't want to argue. Vesalainen is fighting for a spot with 2 players that sat in press box or were in the ahl the last 2 year connor and roslovic were fighting for spots against players that had 100's of games of nhl experience and have made starting teams before.
that's fine but why does everything you say have to revolve around maurice and other coaches similar flawed decision making? just because a player played a lot of games in the league does not make said player any good.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
the only absolutely shocking thing is how the majority of people here are already fully onboard with ves making the jets full time as a 19 year old and clearly inferior prospect to connor for example who supposedly wasn't ready at the same age. the same posters were so set on believing he needed time in the AHL.

"but ves is bigger and played against men already!!!"

please. vesalainen may or may not be ready this year but he is not better than petan and dano who people are penciling him in for in their place. i could see if tanev was the one they think should be replaced but that's not the case.
Connor has more skill, but KV is no slouch in that area.

But KV also appears to have three things going for him that Connor lacked at the beginning of last season. First is size and strength. Second is an ability to hang onto the puck down low and win board battles. Third is a willingness to charge into the corner and take punishment. Connor had to show some of those traits before cementing a roster spot.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Connor has more skill, but KV is no slouch in that area.

But KV also appears to have three things going for him that Connor lacked at the beginning of last season. First is size and strength. Second is an ability to hang onto the puck down low and win board battles. Third is a willingness to charge into the corner and take punishment. Connor had to show some of those traits before cementing a roster spot.

Ves really took some punishment that last game. Good quality to have but tough to carve out a long career doing it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He was decent to quite good in a game that bore very little resemblance to an NHL game. I'll wait to see what his ability to do things down low are when the pace and playmaking pick up.

He's in tough but he flashed some ability. Still starts in a Moose jersey imo.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
this should be about coach icing the best possible roster right now during the cup window, not vesa's development.

plus vesalainen is not the same level of prospect that laine/ehlers were. the team's depth wasn't the same during those times too.

i also don't believe connor failed at all. same goes for petan but i won't open up that can of worms right now..

Part of icing a team capable of contending for the cup is depth.

If one player has a slight edge over another, but is waiver exempt while the other is waiver eligible, that small edge shouldn't translate in him making the team, even if he's better. Injuries always happen.

Enstrom missed 39 games, Lowry 37, Trouba 27, Scheifele 22, Kulikov 20, Byfuglien 13, Perreault 12, Armia 3.

When disaster happens we'll need Petan, Dano, Morrow & Chiarot.

I don't give a rats ass if Vesalinen, Lemieux, Appleton, Niku or Poolman are "slightly" or "arguably" better than a current roster player. Unless they are "significantly" or "undoubtably" better their role is on the Moose.

Otherwise when disaster strikes the call-ups become Kerdiles, Griffith, Nogier & Stanley. The Jets can't be losing Petan, Dano, Morrow or Chiarot to waivers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sounds to me that the roster is close to finalized already.

The defense seems set and there is likely one forward spot up grabs.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Connor had a poor camp last year, got cut, was recalled, and scored 30 goals.

No telling what could happen with KV, but I suspect Jets would rather see if he can stick on the roster than have him in Europe where he won't be first call up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Part of icing a team capable of contending for the cup is depth.

If one player has a slight edge over another, but is waiver exempt while the other is waiver eligible, that small edge shouldn't translate in him making the team, even if he's better. Injuries always happen.

Enstrom missed 39 games, Lowry 37, Trouba 27, Scheifele 22, Kulikov 20, Byfuglien 13, Perreault 12, Armia 3.

When disaster happens we'll need Petan, Dano, Morrow & Chiarot.

I don't give a rats ass if Vesalinen, Lemieux, Appleton, Niku or Poolman are "slightly" or "arguably" better than a current roster player. Unless they are "significantly" or "undoubtably" better their role is on the Moose.

Otherwise when disaster strikes the call-ups become Kerdiles, Griffith, Nogier & Stanley. The Jets can't be losing Petan, Dano, Morrow or Chiarot to waivers.
Griffith didn't look bad in the first pre-season game, to be honest.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Do you think Ves stays up this year? If so, do you think he'll get any PP time? Who do you think his normal linemates would be?
Don't see him making the team out of camp personally. Even if he did, I doubt even more he would see PP time. I think we see him with the Jets at some point this year, still doubt the PP though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Don't see him making the team out of camp personally. Even if he did, I doubt even more he would see PP time. I think we see him with the Jets at some point this year, still doubt the PP though.
He's not enough of an improvement over Dano with Dano playing great. I'd rather push his ELC down the line unless we need him for the playoffs. That way when we are squeezed for money, Ves is still cheap.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

I wouldn't be particularly upset of he didn't make the team, but if he does I feel like he should get a chance on PP2.

I didn't get a chance to see either pre-season game so far but from the highlights I've seen he has a pretty good shot already and that seemed to be the second units biggest weakness last year.

But with the sometimes questionable deployment of our power play in the past I wouldn't be surprised if he was left off at first.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I wouldn't be particularly upset of he didn't make the team, but if he does I feel like he should get a chance on PP2.

I didn't get a chance to see either pre-season game so far but from the highlights I've seen he has a pretty good shot already and that seemed to be the second units biggest weakness last year.

But with the sometimes questionable deployment of our power play in the past I wouldn't be surprised if he was left off at first.
Will play and should play are two different things.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ves really took some punishment that last game. Good quality to have but tough to carve out a long career doing it.

Loved his willingness and the fact that after he got really pasted he remained undeterred. In saying that he will need to improve his technique around absorbing contact in those board battles. I love that he is big, physical, fast, and goes into the dirty areas. Lots of scoring happens in that zone if you have the nutsack and KV seems willing to pay the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->