Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thought he looked pretty decent as the game went on. Early on he looked lost. Wasn't reacting very well but him and Roslovic seemed very discombobulated early on. Perreault held down the fort while they found their senses. As the game went on he showed that he can battle really well. There was at least two sequences where he took a shit kicking from some of the wilds stronger guys and he just didn't give up on the play and actually made the play and got the puck out. Kid shows a lot of guts because he kept going back into the corners and taking that shit kicking but making plays. He didn't get a tonne of touches in the offensive zone but showed he has a dedication to two-way hockey. Roslo almost set him up for a nice shot on net but it got intercepted and likely went in anyways. He showed some good speed on that play. Moved the puck pretty good on the PP on the halfwall. Jets might be looking for their future Wheeler replacement. I think he tried to make a seam pass to Laine but Griffith intercepted it for a shot on net.

All in all I'm not sure he should play on the Jets this season but if he did he wouldn't look out of place at least defensively. The AHL might be a good place for him to find some offence though. Which I find weird to say about a young player. He'll get alot more PP time there until he's ready to take over PP2 time on the Jets.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Still real early with K-Ves but it looks like we got another solid prospect, does he make the jump this year, well maybe not right off the bat.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Would also note that when he goes into the corners he has a plan for the play he’s going to make, a la Perrault (unlike, say, MAtthias), which speaks to his smarts.

Also has good hands in tight, not yet Armia- or Farmhand-level but nice to see on a big fella.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
KV needs a year playing on the Moose to learn a more North/south N. American game.

That's not a knock to KV's game but just as Rozlo and Kyle Connor needed to play on the Moose during their 19 th year old year .... so does KV.

The Added benefit is that his ELC will slide a year just as Rozlo s did last year. K CONNOR did not slide due to his late Birthday.

I saw glimpses of good play from KV in last night's game. I think he will bang down the door next traning camp.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
KV needs a year playing on the Moose to learn a more North/south N. American game.

That's not a knock to KV's game but just as Rozlo and Kyle Connor needed to play on the Moose during their 19 th year old year .... so does KV.

The Added benefit is that his ELC will slide a year just as Rozlo s did last year. K CONNOR did not slide due to his late Birthday.

I saw glimpses of good play from KV in last night's game. I think he will bang down the door next traning camp.
the difference with ves is connor and roslovic had much better players to beat out to get spot. ves doesn't he is better already then the players he is up against for that last spot. he already looks better then who he is fighting for a spot with and this was just his first game.

Reactions: Ippenator

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't think KV goes to the Moose if he doesn't make the Jets. It seems to me that it would be more likely he activates his Euro clause and goes play with Jokerit in the KHL if he doesn't make the Jets roster. The Euro clause seemed like something his agent negotiated hard for. It seems unlikely for him not to use it to play next season back home at 10X's the money.

Reactions: Ippenator

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
the difference with ves is connor and roslovic had much better players to beat out to get spot. ves doesn't he is better already then the players he is up against for that last spot. he already looks better then who he is fighting for a spot with and this was just his first game.
It does seem like there is 1 roster spot and 1 or 2 PB spots up for grabs at forward depending if the keep up 7 or 8 defensemen. I would bet based on usage in game one and Maurice's comments afterwards is that KV is the front runner for the roster spot.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think KV goes to the Moose if he doesn't make the Jets. It seems to me that it would be more likely he activates his Euro clause and goes play with Jokerit in the KHL if he doesn't make the Jets roster. The Euro clause seemed like something his agent negotiated hard for. It seems unlikely for him not to use it to play next season back home at 10X's the money.

It's a bit unfortunate if that is the case. He fits in really well with Perreault and Roslovic. He's got a really good stride and uses his frame well. If I want to see him on the Moose, it's so that he can play top PP and PK time, PK especially, because I think he would excel at it. In short learn our systems. He could profit from it. Maybe not so much in the wallet but in his development. I think if you promised him a trip to Finland (easy to conceive of guys (Lemieux) being demoted and an IR spot used to free up him and Niku for the opportunity of a lifetime)maybe he would take that opportunity. As well as that of representing his country in the World Juniors. But who knows maybe he feels he's a pro, and wants to get paid and played as such. He has a bright future, interesting to see how he fares with more NHL action against NHL competition. Will be among the last decided I think. Expecting 27-28 or so players kept until the final cuts.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a bit unfortunate if that is the case. He fits in really well with Perreault and Roslovic. He's got a really good stride and uses his frame well. If I want to see him on the Moose, it's so that he can play top PP and PK time, PK especially, because I think he would excel at it. In short learn our systems. He could profit from it. Maybe not so much in the wallet but in his development. I think if you promised him a trip to Finland (easy to conceive of guys (Lemieux) being demoted and an IR spot used to free up him and Niku for the opportunity of a lifetime)maybe he would take that opportunity. As well as that of representing his country in the World Juniors. But who knows maybe he feels he's a pro, and wants to get paid and played as such. He has a bright future, interesting to see how he fares with more NHL action against NHL competition. Will be among the last decided I think. Expecting 27-28 or so players kept until the final cuts.
I know there was a fairly lengthy discussion about this after he signed, but I think KV like many European players has no desire to play in a lesser NA league when they can play at home for a lot more money against better competition. Players can learn systems when they need to, but IMO at least letting him play where he is most comfortable and wants to be will be in the Jets best long term interest.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I do not believe anyone knows if he is ready or not, to make the jump.

First impression was solid, he looked every bit an NHL player. The 2 man rush with Roslovic, his stride to jump into the play was impressive. Corner and board play looked the part as well.

Now lets see him duplicate it, triplicate it, quadruple it ect... if he does he is an NHL player imo, if not, let him develop a bit more

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I do not believe anyone knows if he is ready or not, to make the jump.

First impression was solid, he looked every bit an NHL player. The 2 man rush with Roslovic, his stride to jump into the play was impressive. Corner and board play looked the part as well.

Now lets see him duplicate it, triplicate it, quadruple it ect... if he does he is an NHL player imo, if not, let him develop a bit more
He is a very interesting prospect to watch. There is obvious high end talent, and getting a full read on how developed it is isn't so clear. He might be one of those young players that keeps showing more and more as he gets more and more comfortable.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'd rather have a developing but effective power forward on the Jets than a soft skill guy for that last spot, but I think Ves goes to the moose for 1) major ice time, wouldn't get much on Jets and 2) be close by for a call up.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd rather have a developing but effective power forward on the Jets than a soft skill guy for that last spot, but I think Ves goes to the moose for 1) major ice time, wouldn't get much on Jets and 2) be close by for a call up.

The ice time is big for me. On the Jets he will get the least amount of ice time. Not a penalty killer. PP1 is likely set. Don't see which of Ehlers, Perreault, Litttle or Roslovic he knocks off of PP2. Maybe Roslo, but I think Jack is a better option.

That's why I favour Lemieux for the 10-12 minutes per game. He adds that toughness element too. I think our division is split between physical teams (Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas) and skilled teams (Nashville, Colorado, Chicago). I think we get more cheap shots against this year, as favourites. So I like a little sandpaper, and grit for the grind.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

KV specifically said verbatim last season he planned to play in NA this season.

I'm sure its possible he goes back across the pond, but I would think a direct quote should be taken at face value.

What is interesting however is his 2018-2019 contract has no bonus' built in.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.26.22 PM.png

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The ice time is big for me. On the Jets he will get the least amount of ice time. Not a penalty killer. PP1 is likely set. Don't see which of Ehlers, Perreault, Litttle or Roslovic he knocks off of PP2. Maybe Roslo, but I think Jack is a better option.

That's why I favour Lemieux for the 10-12 minutes per game. He adds that toughness element too. I think our division is split between physical teams (Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas) and skilled teams (Nashville, Colorado, Chicago). I think we get more cheap shots against this year, as favourites. So I like a little sandpaper, and grit for the grind.
10 -12 minutes for Vesalainen is more then fine. Problem for lemieux is he is not suited to play with roslovic and Perreault and is suited best to play with Lowry. More then likely he will be there by next year at the latest. It's between Ves petan and Dano for that spot and Ves is more likely to get that spot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's early, but I have a good hunch that KV makes the Jets. It's early in camp and preseason and he already looks comfortable and effective. I think he'll get stronger as preseason goes on. A big, fast puck possession winger who can score is exactly what that line with Roslovic and Perreault needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad