Injury Report: Kreider with a bone chip in ankle (2/5: Full contact practice)

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
A question on wether a bone chip (in their ankle of all places) would affect a players performance? This forum gets more and more loldiculous everyday.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Im pretty sure it cares about loosing face? Kreider was supposed to be a home run, he has shown not to be

Why does everything need to be a conspiracy?

You've never heard of playing through injury? Gaborik played through the playoffs with one shoulder. But he obviously sucks. That's why he didn't score 2 goals per game.

Why the hell would the Rangers brass care about what HFNYR thinks about Kreider after 3 regular season games?

SupersonicMonkey*

You've never heard of playing through injury? Gaborik played through the playoffs with one shoulder. But he obviously sucks. That's why he didn't score 2 goals per game.

Why the hell would the Rangers brass care about what HFNYR thinks about Kreider after 3 regular season games?

Because some think the world revolves around them and their opinions.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

obviously that was a lie to cover up his terribad playoff performance :sarcasm:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
obviously that was a lie to cover up his terribad playoff performance :sarcasm:

How could I have forgotten to put that bit in there? :facepalm:

Had the season begun on time, Rangers management would have purposely made Gaborik miss three months, just to prove this point. Obviously.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
How could I have forgotten to put that bit in there? :facepalm:

Had the season begun on time, Rangers management would have purposely made Gaborik miss three months, just to prove this point. Obviously.

well clearly sather controlled the lockout so that it would conveniently end around the time gaborik got healthy

Jan 8, 2012
NY
well clearly sather controlled the lockout so that it would conveniently end around the time gaborik got healthy

sather-magician-300x235.jpg

Wow. He is good. Putting on the tinfoil hat is fun sometimes.

SupersonicMonkey*

For those who skate/play, think how painful it is when your tongue gets wedged between your ankle and boot. Or if you have any sort of pressure point on the ankle bone.

Can't imagine how it feels skating in Bauer TotalOne, which is not the softest boot in the world, with a chipped ankle bone.

The kid will be fine.

When he gets back I want to see him with Nash. Nash will open space for him. He can go to the net and get rebounds, and Nash will find him.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
For those who skate/play, think how painful it is when your tongue gets wedged between your ankle and boot. Or if you have any sort of pressure point on the ankle bone.

Can't imagine how it feels skating in Bauer TotalOne, which is not the softest boot in the world, with a chipped ankle bone.

The kid will be fine.

When he gets back I want to see him with Nash. Nash will open space for him. He can go to the net and get rebounds, and Nash will find him.
Agreed...and agree on the Bauers...im not a fan of those skates...i use the RBK 10ks love em.

SupersonicMonkey*

Agreed...and agree on the Bauers...im not a fan of those skates...i use the RBK 10ks love em.

I hear good things about the RBK. But I've always been a Bauer guy. I wear an older pair of NikeBquer One55. Softer boot.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Kreider will be fine. I had a similar injury in high school playing basketball and its painful so im not suprised he struggled playiing through it. I have a feeling when CK returns he will be similar to the player he was in the playoffs

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
So when can we expect him playing back at 100%? I highly doubt a couple of days will do it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Haha, if you guys believe this team (or any team for that matter) wouldnt want to "excuse" the failure of its golden boy and top prospect after being horrible both in CT and with the mother club that is fine but a little naive.
Playing through injury? Lol

You are making it out as if an ankle bone chip is a shin splint. :shakehead

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So the excuse for Kreider went from "the team doesn't want him to try hard in Hartford so he doesn't risk injury" to the direct opposite "the team forced him in Hartford to play through injury"?

Both excuses are equally preposterous. On the one hand, no team would tell a player he doesn't have to try hard and doesn't need to try to develop as a player when he's 21 years old and has only a few games in the pros under his belt. On the other, a team would not risk a serious problem just to have their #1 prospect play in the minors.

People are clutching at straws here to hold on to their predictions that he'll be a 25-30 goal scorer in his first season. (Even the "pessimists" were predicting he'll score 20+ goals this year.)

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
So the excuse for Kreider went from "the team doesn't want him to try hard in Hartford so he doesn't risk injury" to the direct opposite "the team forced him in Hartford to play through injury"?

Both excuses are equally preposterous. On the one hand, no team would tell a player he doesn't have to try hard and doesn't need to try to develop as a player when he's 21 years old and has only a few games in the pros under his belt. On the other, a team would not risk a serious problem just to have their #1 prospect play in the minors.

People are clutching at straws here to hold on to their predictions that he'll be a 25-30 goal scorer in his first season. (Even the "pessimists" were predicting he'll score 20+ goals this year.)
Man you really despise Krieder

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Kreider will be fine. I had a similar injury in high school playing basketball and its painful so im not suprised he struggled playiing through it. I have a feeling when CK returns he will be similar to the player he was in the playoffs

I hope so. That would do wonders for our depth.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Man you really despise Krieder

Where did I say that I despise him? I voted for him to be our #1 prospect in the prospect poll, did I not? This time, half a year ago, a year ago, each time I had him as our best prospect.

What I ridicule are the preposterous excuses that people come up with here. Notice that I was 100% right in saying that when the season begins, he won't do well. It was regarded as a crazy opinion, but it was based on watching his actual play in Hartford, not just remembering the hype from old scouting reports.

What the hell should I say? I should watch him stink it up in Hartford and come here to report that he's great? Do you think that when I pay money to watch Hartford games, I turn them on thinking to myself, "Man, I really hope Wiebe and Pyett impress tonight"?

No, I watch Hartford hoping that our top prospects (Kreider, Miller, McIlrath, etc) do well. But what am I supposed to say if some or all of them don't do well?

The disgusting part here isn't that a 21 year old with no pro experience isn't going to be a 30 goal scorer in his rookie season. There's nothing wrong with that. The disgusting part are the ridiculous excuses.

Now take a look at what I just wrote and tell me if I despise Kreider or the stupid excuses.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Where did I say that I despise him? I voted for him to be our #1 prospect in the prospect poll, did I not? This time, half a year ago, a year ago, each time I had him as our best prospect.

What I ridicule are the preposterous excuses that people come up with here. Notice that I was 100% right in saying that when the season begins, he won't do well. It was regarded as a crazy opinion, but it was based on watching his actual play in Hartford, not just remembering the hype from old scouting reports.

What the hell should I say? I should watch him stink it up in Hartford and come here to report that he's great? Do you think that when I pay money to watch Hartford games, I turn them on thinking to myself, "Man, I really hope Wiebe and Pyett impress tonight"?

No, I watch Hartford hoping that our top prospects (Kreider, Miller, McIlrath, etc) do well. But what am I supposed to say if some or all of them don't do well?

The disgusting part here isn't that a 21 year old with no pro experience isn't going to be a 30 goal scorer in his rookie season. There's nothing wrong with that. The disgusting part are the ridiculous excuses.

Now take a look at what I just wrote and tell me if I despise Kreider or the stupid excuses.
Well i have a feeling he will be much better once he is healthy. I had a similar injury when i played basketball and its tough to play through

SupersonicMonkey*

Not sure that a chipped/broken bone is an "excuse".

He has a chipped bone.

He's 21. He will be fine. Let him heal. Let him get back into it when he's healthy. He will be fine.

In the meantime Ferriero is good pesky player. And they need to add at least one extra forward for depth. Preferably a player with speed and tenacity if nothing else.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I just want to say this once and for all: I love the Kreider pick at #19. I think it was great. It was exactly what I want the Rangers to do: go for the home run.

Now, it is impossible to get a player at #19 who doesn't have significant flaws. They slip down that much because they either lack skill or size or IQ or polish or health. A lot of our picks have revolved around getting a guy who'll likely be an NHLer, but nothing special. Guys like Miller and Skjei are solid kids, but there's no chance of them becoming first liners, which is why they did not go in the top 5.

A kid like Kreider was really raw when he was drafted, which is why he slipped. But I would rather get a kid who slipped over his lack of polish than over his lack of top-end skill. Kreider has the ability to potentially become a first line 30-30 player. He just doesn't have that ability today.

I've been voting him as our #1 prospect the last 3-4 polls, but throughout, I've said that there is nothing wrong if he spends one year in the minors, and if we can get a 15-15 performance out of him in his rookie season, that should be considered excellent... especially for a long-term, raw project.

But no, people thinks that I hate Kreider because I don't think that he's an instant second liner. Again, I love the idea of swinging for the fences with a guy like Kreider. I am happy with his development. I'm just expecting reasonable things from the kid.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Whatever "excuses" people used are irrelevant. Nobody knew Kreider had bone chips in his ankle. It makes a lot of sense that this kind of injury would result in the tentative play we've seen out of him. It's not clutching at straws. He has bone chips in his ankle. He's apparently had them for a while. We'll see how he looks when he gets healthy.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Being that it seems like I'm the only person in this thread who has skated through this very same injury, half of you are incorrectly assuming it's "really difficult" to skate through and the other half are assuming it's a fabrication or not a big deal. It's neither. It's discomfort. A bone chip in the ankle is different from the diagnosis of a chipped ankle bone. You might think that's semantics or I'm splitting straws, but that's not the case. The diagnosis of a bone chip, in the ankle, is a tiny (we're talking teenie-tiny) chip of bone that is currently sitting in the ankle area and thus applying pressure to the tendons and ligaments, and rubbing against them, when you do certain activities. The bone chip may have originated from either of the shin bones that terminate in the ankle joint, and also may have originated on the upper foot and moved into the ankle. It's not classified as a chipped, broken or fractured ankle because it's too insignificant in size and may not actually be a piece of the ankle at all. All of this said, it's an "injury" that you can very easily skate through, as Kreider obviously has. It's an injury that can easily go undiagnosed. It creates soreness and tenderness in the ankle, usually on the top of the ankle, where your laces would sit but only to the degree that you might think a slash or a shot off the boot caused it. The difference is that it won't subside with ice and rest and it will bother you when walking and doing every day activities if you continue to play on it.

You need to rest it to allow the ligaments that are being effected to get some relief. The chip, usually, will take care of itself and your bodily processes, plus the grind of walking around and such will eventually turn the chip into dust, but if you continue to push it, it will cause the ligaments to remain inflamed, which is where the discomfort is coming from and what draws attention to the injury in the first place, leads you to get it checked out and results in the diagnosis. So for anyone who believes it is a fabrication or that Kreider wouldn't have been playing/we would have known about this earlier... you literally couldn't be further from accurate. It's so easy for something like this to go completely undiagnosed. For those of you who want to believe this 'explains' Kreider's poor performance... you're closer to the truth, but still probably making more of it than it really is. It's an easy injury to play through (which is why he's been doing so). Yes, it will definitely effect you. Your top gear might be a lot harder to push yourself into (not because you can't do it, just psychologically knowing, if I push real hard, my ankle is not going to feel good) and you might be hesitant to make a really hard cut to the side that's effected but, at the same time, it truly feels more like an ache and pain/bruised ankle kind of thing than you would think. Of course, the severity can vary, but given that Kreider has been playing (and, in my humble opinion, not been bad, just simply unnoticeable) I would imagine that it's not much different than I am explaining it to be and that is both why Kreider has skated through it and why he eventually got it checked out, discovered it and is now resting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad