Injury Report: Kreider with a bone chip in ankle (2/5: Full contact practice)

Bardof425*

I'm not saying Noob > Kreider in terms of potential. But it is just a fact that when you have 10 forwards and 4 defensemen on a minor league team outscore a top prospect, something went haywire.

To say that he's not doing well in Hartford because it's a bad offensive team incapable of creating offense is just false. It is an above average offensive team, as good as any other squad in the AHL. The Whale's problem is that they are the worst defensive team in the league (not counting Talbot), but that doesn't prevent Kreider from succeeding offensively.

Everyone likes to cite that he did well in the WJC. Do you realize that the quality of his line mates in the WJC was significantly worse than what he has in Hartford? So it wasn't his line mates who are the problem, it's that he doesn't get to beat up on Latvian and Italian semi-pros who are already out of hockey, probably working as store clerks somewhere.

And no, what he did in the NHL playoffs is NOT more important than the rest of his career. He's proven before (in various tournaments) that he can hold his own for a few games, but never for long stretches. Nobody doubts that he can be good for a dozen games or so. The question is whether he can hold it up over the course of a full season.

Kreider is not ready for the NHL. He may not have been ready for the super-charged AHL when he was there. But now that all the NHLers and half the borderline guys have left the AHL, he might have an easier time down there. Kreider needs to go back and learn how to be a pro.

I'm still hopeful he can develop into a 25-25 or even 30-30 player, just not at the age of 21.

What about his soph and junior years at BC?

Vickers8

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord
So Brandon Mashinter definitely not playing. He's been re-assigned to #CTWhale after morning skate. Which sounds like Kreider's ready

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Kreider and Miller looked great tonight. i was trying to tell people to be patient and once kreider was healthy he would be fine. Tonight his speed was back and he was very good on both ends

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Kreider has made some very nice passing plays since he came back. The one to Gabby from behind the net last night really caught my eye.

Anyone else picking up on this.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Most important thing is that Torts picks up on his small smart plays and keeps putting him in a position to succeed. He's been playing well, it's encouraging.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Kreider has made some very nice passing plays since he came back. The one to Gabby from behind the net last night really caught my eye.

Anyone else picking up on this.
Very Good Point. Kreider wasnt known for his passing but since he came back he has made some great passes. In the devils game he set up Staal and Staal didnt make the shot. He set up Miller's first goal. He also made two great setups last night. The only bad thing was the penalty but the game was over anyway

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Very Good Point. Kreider wasnt known for his passing but since he came back he has made some great passes. In the devils game he set up Staal and Staal didnt make the shot. He set up Miller's first goal. He also made two great setups last night. The only bad thing was the penalty but the game was over anyway

He wasn't known for passing because he didn't have a lot of assists on hockeydb. Anyone that watched him regularly (not accusing you) and understood his game knew he had NHL level passing skills. Players in college aren't expecting touch passes.

He's looked better since he returned from injury, but he's still not playing at close to the level he was in the playoffs.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Would like to see him make some stronger plays in the defensive zone.

This. I think he kind of wanders a little in the defensive zone. He also needs to become a little stronger on the puck.

He wasn't known for passing because he didn't have a lot of assists on hockeydb. Anyone that watched him regularly (not accusing you) and understood his game knew he had NHL level passing skills. Players in college aren't expecting touch passes.

He's looked better since he returned from injury, but he's still not playing at close to the level he was in the playoffs.

And also agree. He has always had great vision

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Agreed, but I think that will come Wolf.

The thing I think about with a player like Kreider is that he has so much right now that you can't teach. The speed, size, shot and just a bundle of natural ability. Hags is the perfect example of a player who has learned things as he went. Kreider will be the same imo.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

he has only played 6 regular season games. He had 3 bad games(ankle injury) and 3 very good games( 2 pts looks faster passing the puck really well. I just wish guys like miller and gabby would look for him because he has been wide open like 5 or 6 time sthe past 2 games. With his speed and great shot he can be a very useful offensive weapon if used correctly

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

I was one of those people that did not see a whole lot of him when he was in school. Honestly I came away unimpressed on more than one occasion. Last year in the playoffs was my "A Ha" moment with him. The more I see him the more impressed I am, short comings and all at this point. He belongs in the NHL.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I thought he was impressive in the playoffs for us (minus a game or two) and would love to see him return to that level of play/effectiveness.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I was one of those people that did not see a whole lot of him when he was in school. Honestly I came away unimpressed on more than one occasion. Last year in the playoffs was my "A Ha" moment with him. The more I see him the more impressed I am, short comings and all at this point. He belongs in the NHL.

Most of the time he was somewhat unimpressive in college, and I saw plenty of games. Lots of his passes turned into giveaways, and he did a lot of floating because his teammates didn't get him the puck. But it was the type of thought process that you just knew his skills would be better suited for a pro game. He looks like the culprit when his teammate is turned the other way after a Kreider touch pass and the other team comes in on an odd-man rush, but if it was Rick Nash he would be expecting that pass. It was a whole lot of ridiculous plays like that which made watching him at BC borderline agonizing.

For example, Sean Kuraly had a pretty pedestrian WJC this year, and his stats at Miami are sub-par at best. But I can see him becoming an NHLer player; he skates and stickhandles very well, and he's got plenty of size. Maybe not the best comparison, but it's just one of those "just wait and see" type of mentalities.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Is it just me, or does he still look hesitant out there? I think his raw abilities and size make his ceiling higher than Miller's, but the past few games it looks like Miller is out there trying to make plays to earn a spot whereas Kreider is out there playing conservatively/trying not to make mistakes in order to not lose his. Maybe JT has the instructions of "go out and play" that CK had during the playoffs last year and CK is more checked into the system now, but I just don't see the same kid who was our best forward in a few games last year. I realize he was hurt and has only played a handful of games, but where's the guy from the playoffs?

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Is it just me, or does he still look hesitant out there? I think his raw abilities and size make his ceiling higher than Miller's, but the past few games it looks like Miller is out there trying to make plays to earn a spot whereas Kreider is out there playing conservatively/trying not to make mistakes in order to not lose his. Maybe JT has the instructions of "go out and play" that CK had during the playoffs last year and CK is more checked into the system now, but I just don't see the same kid who was our best forward in a few games last year. I realize he was hurt and has only played a handful of games, but where's the guy from the playoffs?
I think you are reading too much into it. Kreider has been very good since his return. If gabby and gilroy his their shots then he would have 4pts in 3 games. Miller i like but last game he becmae too shot happy. He missed guys he missed kreider 3 times and he made some mistakes. Kreider got better as the playoffs went on. i feel Kreider will get better as the season goes on.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Look at Nieves. He has nobody to play with (except Trouba) and yet he's made the best of it and developed into the team's best forward in his freshman season. Kreider has no excuse for sucking.

Wrong, I've been following Michigan and have caught quite a few of their games this season, he has Phil DiGuiseppe who is a very talented player and great prospect in his own right.

This is actually a good assessment, especially the highlighted part.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
He isn't playing too many minutes, but he needs to shoot more often.. 2 shots in 6 games is too damn few. Miller is averaging that per game

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

Agree 100%. Like I said earlier, he has a long way to go to reach the form he was in during the playoffs. Night and day right now unfortunately.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007

Exactly. This was what I meant in the PGT. I think he looks insecure with the puck and along the board. Probably result of adjusting to the game, but I don't agree with those that claims that he's been good.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Exactly. This was what I meant in the PGT. I think he looks insecure with the puck and along the board. Probably result of adjusting to the game, but I don't agree with those that claims that he's been good.

He looks a bit tentative, especially in his own zone where his positional play looks disoriented at times. Not sure how deep he should go in his own zone and many times too far away from the point man, but this will come with time I believe!

Otoh, that USA line looks real good on the transition breakout once they get a hold of the puck. A new dimension Ranger hockey has been lacking for years. I like that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->