Injury Report: Kreider with a bone chip in ankle (2/5: Full contact practice)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think he is just trying to play smart defensively. He is trying to get acclimated to the system now whereas he was thrusted into the middle of a playoff run where he wasn't really taught the system thoroughly. He wasn't held to the same defensive expectations as everyone else because he couldn't learn the system Torts wants fast enough. But the rangers needed more goal scoring so they let him go out there and do what he could. I have no problem with the way he has played. He needs to learn both sides of the game in today's NHL. Past players maybe could get away with being floaters or one dimensional players, but coaches want and prefer players that can play a 2-way game. I think he has improved a lot in that area.

The one thing I agree on is he definitely needs to shoot more. Him, Nash, and Gaborik all need to shoot a lot more. Especially with the types of players on their respective lines. Hagelin, Stepan, Callahan, Miller, Pyatt, and Richards are all very adequate at retrieving pucks and/or scoring garbage goals on the door step. So take more shots, more chances.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Is it just me, or does he still look hesitant out there? I think his raw abilities and size make his ceiling higher than Miller's, but the past few games it looks like Miller is out there trying to make plays to earn a spot whereas Kreider is out there playing conservatively/trying not to make mistakes in order to not lose his. Maybe JT has the instructions of "go out and play" that CK had during the playoffs last year and CK is more checked into the system now, but I just don't see the same kid who was our best forward in a few games last year. I realize he was hurt and has only played a handful of games, but where's the guy from the playoffs?
Yeah, I wish Kreider would be more assertive. I think it is part of the learning process for him, trying to digest the play when he is on the ice, but from the rather viewings of Kreider I've had he seems to be at his best when he plays instinctively rather than reacting to the play.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He has looked good, but he needs to pick up his physical game. He is 6'3 220+ lbs. If he starts making defenders uncomfortable they will cough up the puck and with his speed, it will create chances.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Wrong, I've been following Michigan and have caught quite a few of their games this season, he has Phil DiGuiseppe who is a very talented player and great prospect in his own right.

Yeah, Nieves and DiGiuseppe have incredible chemistry together. He's been very fortunate in that regard. Guptil and Merrill are also very good players.

SupersonicMonkey*

2 points +3 in 3 games since returning.

And he's set up a few scoring chances that aren't in a box score.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Still looks hesitant though... He's not imposing his will enough. Sometimes seems like he's going through the motions.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Wrong, I've been following Michigan and have caught quite a few of their games this season, he has Phil DiGuiseppe who is a very talented player and great prospect in his own right.

This is actually a good assessment, especially the highlighted part.

Actually, you're wrong. I go to Michigan, watch every single game, and see every home game live, and PDG has been terrible this year- huge step back from last year (his draft year which garnered him a second round pick). Guptil has been equally ******- he's been a healthy scratch a couple of times and even didn't travel with the team to away games for poor play. Merrill was hurt for the majority of the year, and has looked rusty and mediocre in his return.

Our team has been terrible this year. Our forwards, our defense, and especially our goalies. Boo and Trouba have been the only consensus bright spots on the team. It's of no surprise to me that PDG started playing better (but still not great- still a regression from last year) when he was put with Boo. He's been the only forward making ANYTHING happen on this team.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
im too lazy to go back, but the guy who said Miller is playing to keep a spot whereas Kreider is playing to not lose a spot is dead on.

Ryan Callahan did exactly the same thing a few years ago.

kid will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad