Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Kreider is getting more than a 1, and Georgiyev is getting more than a 2.

I think your calculation here is off.

I would say that Kreider goes for about 1+2, so the draft picks in the trade. Georgiyev goes for about Gauthier. Adding Reimer makes it a worse deal for the Rangers. I might take it, but there will probably be better offers, so it's not the most appealing offer.
Gauthier is the juice. And Krieder is not getting more than a 1 unless its Boston and they are picking end of the round. If say Carolina offers more than a 1 for Krieder I will rofl. GMS know the Hayes deal was stupid and will update. Either way trade is right on the mark. Know Ranger fans think 1a goalies they will get lst but it aint happening with expansion draft looming.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Kreider is on pace for about 56pts.
He is a playoff performer, he is one of the best players in front of the net in the NHL.
He is also one of the most desirable UFA's at the TDL, if not the most desirable.
18pts in the last 19 games.

He will return a first + a decent prospect and likely another conditional add.
And I would trade for Pageau 10x out of 10 at that price. I'll take a 2 way center for a rental over a 2nd line power forward all day every day.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
From Carolina, I think Jamieson Rees would be a perfect target. The kid plays with a ton of energy, he is pretty gritty and also have a lot of skill.

I also think that Julien Gauthier is exciting from Carolina. But in a way I think he has a lot of skill in many areas that 'still won't be good enough at the NHL level' if you get what I mean. Like his speed and ability to challenge Ds 1 on 1 at top speed. Things that draws comparisons to Rich Nash. That can be great, but the first few steps are absolutely crucial and if you will have guys catching you from behind it will only amount to something once or twice per year in the NHL. It is his work along the boards, his ability to forecheck and his ability to buy into the system and learn to play to his teammates strengths that will make or break him.

Like there is a real risk for guys that size that they will disappear on the ice. Someone like Fogarty can be so well balanced in the AHL, and then just don't come close in the NHL. And its just not guys like him that can be debated if they are second rate. Andersson in Columbus has really disappeared this season. Tuch has been very streaky. And so forth.

Vis-a-vis Gauthier I just think its extremely important that you are picky about what you are buying. You want a player that can bring a lot in the areas the Tkachucks are so good at. Getting in peoples ways. Working the board. Being physically punishing wearing Ds down. Being smart, getting into the right areas. Playing a smart team game. All those things. The ability to toe-drag a defender when you come flying down the wing will look mighty impressive outside the NHL, but it can also be something that you never see pay off even once at the NHL level. And it is really hard for these guys to change pace and just set off. I haven't seen enough of Gauthier to have a super strong opinion on him, but I would be a bit cautious.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I think the Rangers are talking to Kreider, but are waiting to see what the market brings. I love the guy. He gets under rated on this board, but I bet GM's watch his game and salivate at the prospect of having him on their playoff roster.

From a Ranger prospective, I can't give the guy a 7 year deal. If he would take $7x5, I figure out a way to fit him in.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Rangers should keep him.

He balances the NYR top 6.
Zibanejad loves playing with him.
Best conditioned athlete on the club.
Leader
Not a party guy (Makes a big difference in NY)
Best skater on the club

There are others that can go that will save money to ink him. Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he took less to stay.

I think the Rangers should move him now and then they can ponder if it is worth bringing back a soon to be 29yr old for the salary and term he wants over the summer.....for a rebuilding team, probably not the best idea to keep him.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Yes, it starts and ends with the 1st needs to be in 2020

I'm pretty sure EDM. is on his no go list.
This offer is not terrible but I do think the 1st has to be a 2020.
You will also lament giving up a 2021 1st when Kreider is playing somewhere else next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gauthier is the juice. And Krieder is not getting more than a 1 unless its Boston and they are picking end of the round. If say Carolina offers more than a 1 for Krieder I will rofl. GMS know the Hayes deal was stupid and will update. Either way trade is right on the mark. Know Ranger fans think 1a goalies they will get lst but it aint happening with expansion draft looming.

The best asset on the market goes for more than a first round pick almost every year.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
From Carolina, I think Jamieson Rees would be a perfect target. The kid plays with a ton of energy, he is pretty gritty and also have a lot of skill.

I also think that Julien Gauthier is exciting from Carolina. But in a way I think he has a lot of skill in many areas that 'still won't be good enough at the NHL level' if you get what I mean. Like his speed and ability to challenge Ds 1 on 1 at top speed. Things that draws comparisons to Rich Nash. That can be great, but the first few steps are absolutely crucial and if you will have guys catching you from behind it will only amount to something once or twice per year in the NHL. It is his work along the boards, his ability to forecheck and his ability to buy into the system and learn to play to his teammates strengths that will make or break him.

Like there is a real risk for guys that size that they will disappear on the ice. Someone like Fogarty can be so well balanced in the AHL, and then just don't come close in the NHL. And its just not guys like him that can be debated if they are second rate. Andersson in Columbus has really disappeared this season. Tuch has been very streaky. And so forth.

Vis-a-vis Gauthier I just think its extremely important that you are picky about what you are buying. You want a player that can bring a lot in the areas the Tkachucks are so good at. Getting in peoples ways. Working the board. Being physically punishing wearing Ds down. Being smart, getting into the right areas. Playing a smart team game. All those things. The ability to toe-drag a defender when you come flying down the wing will look mighty impressive outside the NHL, but it can also be something that you never see pay off even once at the NHL level. And it is really hard for these guys to change pace and just set off. I haven't seen enough of Gauthier to have a super strong opinion on him, but I would be a bit cautious.

If we're dealing with Carolina I would rather go after Puistola over Gauthier and getting back our 2nd or Toronto's first

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the Rangers are talking to Kreider, but are waiting to see what the market brings. I love the guy. He gets under rated on this board, but I bet GM's watch his game and salivate at the prospect of having him on their playoff roster.

From a Ranger prospective, I can't give the guy a 7 year deal. If he would take $7x5, I figure out a way to fit him in.

I think even 5 years is too many.

Kreider probably has another year or two left after this one as a top six player. Players of his kind decline very quickly. Do you want to be paying 7M the last few years of that deal to an injury prone bottom six winger with diminished speed who doesn't even kill penalties? That doesn't seem like a great option for the roster.

I'd like to keep Kreider, as well. Players with his speed are nearly impossible to acquire. It gives the team such a difficult dimension to defend. But I don't see how the team can afford to keep Kreider. People will say that we are going to have cap space opening up when Hank, Staal, Smith contracts, along with Shattenkirk and Girardi dead money come off the cap, but you have to balance that with the fact that you gave out one of highest cap % contracts in the league to Panarin, and also a big deal to Trouba. Right there, that spells cap trouble. Teams that give out contracts that big always run into cap trouble.

Thats unless all the young players diminish their value or don't improve in the next few years. I guess thats possible. At that point, we might have the cap room to sign Kreider and those players, but if those players aren't increasing their value in upcoming years, it likely means that the team isn't going to contend, so it becomes a moot point. We can probably afford Kreider for another 2-3 years until we start having to pay those players. You can find a way to pay Kreider and also DeAngelo and Lemieux this offseason. It might involve another buyout, but I think it could be done. What you can't then do is find money for the Kreider contract a few years after that, and then also pay Zibanejad, Kakko, Fox, Shestyorkin, Buchnevich, Chytil, Strome.

I'd say no more than 2-3 years for Kreider. If he doesn't like it, you can't re-sign him. People aren't thinking about our cap for 3-4 years. Why are fans so concerned about the cap for the next few seasons? We likely aren't contenders in the next season or two. You have to set up the cap to work for the years you have a chance to contend. Setting it up for years you won't contend to create problems for when you might contend makes very little sense. It's a great way to shut your contention window.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I think even 5 years is too many.

Kreider probably has another year or two left after this one as a top six player. Players of his kind decline very quickly. Do you want to be paying 7M the last few years of that deal to an injury prone bottom six winger with diminished speed who doesn't even kill penalties? That doesn't seem like a great option for the roster.

I'd like to keep Kreider, as well. Players with his speed are nearly impossible to acquire. It gives the team such a difficult dimension to defend. But I don't see how the team can afford to keep Kreider. People will say that we are going to have cap space opening up when Hank, Staal, Smith contracts, along with Shattenkirk and Girardi dead money come off the cap, but you have to balance that with the fact that you gave out one of highest cap % contracts in the league to Panarin, and also a big deal to Trouba. Right there, that spells cap trouble. Teams that give out contracts that big always run into cap trouble.

Thats unless all the young players diminish their value or don't improve in the next few years. I guess thats possible. At that point, we might have the cap room to sign Kreider and those players, but if those players aren't increasing their value in upcoming years, it likely means that the team isn't going to contend, so it becomes a moot point. We can probably afford Kreider for another 2-3 years until we start having to pay those players. You can find a way to pay Kreider and also DeAngelo and Lemieux this offseason. It might involve another buyout, but I think it could be done. What you can't then do is find money for the Kreider contract a few years after that, and then also pay Zibanejad, Kakko, Fox, Shestyorkin, Buchnevich, Chytil, Strome.

I'd say no more than 2-3 years for Kreider. If he doesn't like it, you can't re-sign him. People aren't thinking about our cap for 3-4 years. Why are fans so concerned about the cap for the next few seasons? We likely aren't contenders in the next season or two. You have to set up the cap to work for the years you have a chance to contend. Setting it up for years you won't contend to create problems for when you might contend makes very little sense. It's a great way to shut your contention window.

My bigger concern is does the hole left by Kreider hurt the team more than anticipated.
If I were betting, I would say it does. I think we are going to find out either way.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My bigger concern is does the hole left by Kreider hurt the team more than anticipated.
If I were betting, I would say it does. I think we are going to find out either way.

I'm sure it'll hurt the team, but I'd rather hurt the team now than in 3-4 years when we could be in contention.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Thats not that bad, actually. It might be beat by a better offer, but it's not terrible value.

Really? Helleson is ok but defense won't be the Rangers weakness in a few seasons. Kamanev is made out of glass and Greer spends more time in the box than on the ice. Colorado doesn't have a good history of drafting well until recently. Two prospects that should interest the Rangers are Newhook and Kaut. Rather not deal with Colorado at all unless those two names come up.

Reactions: RangersFan1994
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad