Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Again, if Colorado is a target the only names that should be of interest are Kaut, Newhook and Byram, all of whom Sakic is likely to not move at all.

the later two, certainly. but Kaut I think would be an accessible piece. when he was drafted, he would totally cover a hole on our system, but since then we added Donskoi, Bura and Nuke. in this scenario, would be adding Kreider too. (I doubt Sakic would trade for him just for one cup run, he would be re-signed) plus Lando, Rants, Compher, Nieto... and you have no space/need for him anymore. plus Kaut has struggled in the AHL so far and the Avs are a franchise known for having not much patience with prospects so I could totally see them rating Kaut low. both Kaut and Jost are pieces I think could be had in a Kreider deal, though needing of course a small downgrade in other pieces to balance the total value.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No. Its not close. Kamanev can take his injuries and 8-9 min of TOI some place else. Rather solve as much of the bottom line issues from within as much as possible... Howden and in the near future Barron and Henriksson. You're over valuing Kamanev here. He's made out of glass and has been under the knife. Can't really compare his value with Lemieux who produces when given time. Greer as mentioned in the original post has sitting in the box written all over him. I'll give you Helleson as a long term prospect that's at least 2-3 seasons away but c'mon, Gorton has probably two of the hottest trade pieces out there in Kreider and Georgiev.
If Gorton comes back with a 1st+Kamenev/Greer+Drew Helleson for Kreider there should be some serious concerns because odds are the best part of that deal would be an assumed late 1st rounder... if Helleson turns out to be something then great but Gorton can get a better deal than that for Kreider.
Again, if Colorado is a target the only names that should be of interest are Kaut, Newhook and Byram, all of whom Sakic is likely to not move at all.

I think you either are significantly overrating Lemieux's value a year ago or significantly underrating Kamenev's. Kamenev has played well. He's had some injuries. So has Lemieux. I mentioned nothing about Greer, so I don't know why you brought him up.

I don't doubt we could get a better return, but it's not that far off the Hayes template. There's also a chance that we might not get any better than that. We've seen many times where the Rangers are the ones feeding info to reporters to put into the media. We were supposed to get a lot more for Talbot when we did. It was clear after the fact that the Rangers were the ones feeding info to the media about his price, which was never his actual price in negotiations with other teams.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
For what it's worth Freddie the Goat has 17 goals in over 150 AHL games and not a ton of assists either. I don't know his usage down there but he doesn't seem like he's got great hands or offensive instinc
Carolina does not have Freddie

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I just preach patience. In 2 years its going to be looking real good. Wait to see what they look like after the deadline cause they should add a 1st and 1-2 good young players

I get you like Kreider, I do too but its a risky signing at 7x7

Kreider will be 29 this April, the Rangers just can't resign him at 7X7, it makes no sense. He'll be solid for the next 3yrs or so and then when their window opens, he will declining. They have to pass.

Reactions: tucker3434

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Kreider will be 29 this April, the Rangers just can't resign him at 7X7, it makes no sense. He'll be solid for the next 3yrs or so and then when their window opens, he will declining. They have to pass.

And anytime you’re projecting a window several years out, you never really know when it’s going to come. 3 years ago, everybody was positive Buffalo would be a true contender right now. It almost never works out exactly as you expect. If the window takes an extra year or two to open up, the already thin margin disappears.

Last edited:
Reactions: The S5

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
the later two, certainly. but Kaut I think would be an accessible piece. when he was drafted, he would totally cover a hole on our system, but since then we added Donskoi, Bura and Nuke. in this scenario, would be adding Kreider too. (I doubt Sakic would trade for him just for one cup run, he would be re-signed) plus Lando, Rants, Compher, Nieto... and you have no space/need for him anymore. plus Kaut has struggled in the AHL so far and the Avs are a franchise known for having not much patience with prospects so I could totally see them rating Kaut low. both Kaut and Jost are pieces I think could be had in a Kreider deal, though needing of course a small downgrade in other pieces to balance the total value.

This is why I don't think Colorado and NY are good partners.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I think you either are significantly overrating Lemieux's value a year ago or significantly underrating Kamenev's. Kamenev has played well. He's had some injuries. So has Lemieux. I mentioned nothing about Greer, so I don't know why you brought him up.

I don't doubt we could get a better return, but it's not that far off the Hayes template. There's also a chance that we might not get any better than that. We've seen many times where the Rangers are the ones feeding info to reporters to put into the media. We were supposed to get a lot more for Talbot when we did. It was clear after the fact that the Rangers were the ones feeding info to the media about his price, which was never his actual price in negotiations with other teams.

I never mentioned Lemiuex until your initial post and comparing the players involved labeling it as the Hayes Template... which really is a different set of circumstances when it comes to Kreider going to a playoff team making a serious push. Kamenev's had some injuries is putting it very lightly and not in the same ballpark or frequency as Lemiuex as far as injuries. If Gorton can't get a better trade then hes not doing his job.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Kreider is going to return something pretty good to the Rangers. His size, speed and net front abilities make him pretty valuable. You will see....

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Bruins probably have an offer sitting on gorton table. Something like heinen 2nd round pick zboril type.
Heinen offeres NYR little but more expansion draft risk. Low upside, depth F,not that young, somewhat easily replaceable. Zboril also vulnerable in '01.. Return to NYR probably needs to include younger youth
Bruins fans probably dont want to consider Studnika or Frederic or Olson at risk, but that type of more young asset may need be included in a winning offer.
To me the Backes move did open a Bruins-Kreider window, they are likely a team he'd strongly consider re-signing with

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Heinen offeres NYR little but more expansion draft risk. Low upside, depth F,not that young, somewhat easily replaceable. Zboril also vulnerable in '01.. Return to NYR probably needs to include younger youth
Bruins fans probably dont want to consider Studnika or Frederic or Olson at risk, but that type of more young asset may need be included in a winning offer.
To me the Backes move did open a Bruins-Kreider window, they are likely a team he'd strongly consider re-signing with
Yep I see a rangers Bruins deal for sure. Just hope Donny can hold on to stud and that 1st round pick somehow.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The Nash deal was a first plus unsigned 2d rounder Lindgren ( and Cap, roster accomodations Spooner, Beleskey)
i foresee NYR aiming for similar return

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
LW Kreider (UFA) + LD Skjei (5.2m x 5)

for

LW Debrusk (>1m RFA) + LD Krug (UFA)

As a base. Tweek it with picks/prospects depending on GM's valuation of Debrusk vs Skjei long term.

Kreider turns 29 in April and is a pending UFA. Krug turns 29 in April and is a pending UFA. If we don't want to give Kreider a long term deal, why would we trade him for Krug, who will also want a long term deal?

Reactions: Kupo

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That makes him the most sought after winger this season,the Rags should get a good haul

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kreider is the ideal 2nd line winger on a championship team. Would love him on the Flames, but I don't see them coughing up the necessary price.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Why would we trade Kreider and Skjei for this?

Test drive Krug and make him a offer before he goes UFA. See if he gels with our guys. He's a more bonified 1d than Skjei is.

Debrusk is a young, cost controlled LW who could fill in long term for Kreider like when we traded Brassard for Zibanejad.

With Chara entering possible retirement and Krug a UFA, Boston gets a low cost 5yr contract, maybe Skjei shines better in a 2d role there opposed to the 1d role he's forced into here.

BTW, there was the caveat that those were the base players of the deal. I didn't state that it was a 2 for 2.

I dont hate Skjei, but I'm not enamored with him as our 1d. We need a higher end player at 1d to compliment Trouba. Krug is only 28. As mentioned in our home board. No one is out there offering up 1d on a plate. Krug is an opportunity.

Kreider otoh isn't necessarily a picks and prospects move. No reason we couldn't get a young high potential guy in return.

Kreider turns 29 in April and is a pending UFA. Krug turns 29 in April and is a pending UFA. If we don't want to give Kreider a long term deal, why would we trade him for Krug, who will also want a long term deal?

See my post a few slots down in reply to Hunter Gatherers.

I'm all for seeing if ADA can switch to the LD slot, but I have little faith in Skjei being our long term answer to the 1 LD need we have. Given the plethora of LD prospects, Lindgren proving his worth on the cheap and Rykov showing good signs he is ready to see some NHL ice. Skjei is expendable if we could land a 1 LD.

I am with the rebuild, but we need to be competative as well. Pepper in some playoffs experience for Fox, ADA, Kakko, etc...in the next 3 seasons so they can lead the kids you are still 3-5 years away. But, a 1LD is needed in the mean time and Krug isn't and old fart yet. We could get him via UFA, but then we risk buying in long term and a bad fit, instead of trying him out for a few months and see if he is worth an extension.

The last thing we need from Boston is a package of maybe prospects that were not the prime targets when we traded Nash there two seasons ago.

Debrusk satisfies the "young roster player" we are trying to get for Georgiev without the pressure of "having to trade Georgiev to get that player, and Krug is a trade up from Skjei as far as I'm concerned.

That said. If we finagled it. And lost Kreider, Skjei, and Georgiev and gained Debrusk, Kapanen, and Krug plus maybe a pick or two in the process, I think that is a stronger team we ice long term, cut some cap, and still keep the foot on the pedal this season for the sake of a lesson teaching playoff appearance. (gotta be careful not to miss too many years in a row, even if we stumble in 20/21)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad