Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Really? Helleson is ok but defense won't be the Rangers weakness in a few seasons. Kamanev is made out of glass and Greer spends more time in the box than on the ice. Colorado doesn't have a good history of drafting well until recently. Two prospects that should interest the Rangers are Newhook and Kaut. Rather not deal with Colorado at all unless those two names come up.

i agree, especially wingers in my opinion

Reactions: charliemurphy

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
No one's going to take that contract. Reimer sucks, and why would we add more dead money to the cap? Kreider's going to have a lot of bidders. I think trying to tack on Reimer to the trade makes it a lot less appealing.

I think they'll have to make an imperfect deal.

Mostly if they want to maximize their return they may have to take back a cap dump of some type anyway.

Currently Carolina's 1st is at like ~ #20
Rangers 2nd is at like ~ #42

That will change, who knows which ways, but those are good picks in my opinion. Probably an earlier 2nd then they'll get elsewhere.

Gauthier, while I don't necessarily see a top 6F, he's on the cusp of the NHL and the Rangers need bottom 6 forwards anyway. He scores a lot of AHL goal, has good size, there might be something there.

Reimer I get not wanting, yet if the Rangers trade Georgiev and keep Shesty in the NHL with Lundqvist they only have Huska signed for next year. If they do not sign Wall they lose his rights this summer. The cap, the Rangers do not need to be spending much on anything but their RFAs this off-season anyway.

Anyway I'd like to see them just keep Georgiev until the summer, 3 goalie rotation is not ideal, but nothing really is right now, yet all the same that is the type of return I'd expect at the deadline for Kreider/Gerogiev whether traded together or separately.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
And I would trade for Pageau 10x out of 10 at that price. I'll take a 2 way center for a rental over a 2nd line power forward all day every day.

That would explain the Flyers.

It's all about team need. If you are set up the middle but thin on the wings, you dont get another 2 way center. And vice versa.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
If there was ever a guy to trade for a big return and then re-sign.......i’d like it to be Chris Kreider. Yes he can be streaky, but he’s a beast, has incredible speed and size and he is in incredible shape. He’s also turned into a real leader and team mate for this organization.

People say that power forwards decline quickly and I agree......however i do not consider him a real power forward.......maybe a power forward lite at best. He just doesn’t throw his body around and use his size like many true power forwards. I think he’s more of a force to try and defend based on his size and speed than anything. I think that goes a long way to helping his longevity.

If the Rangers can trade him for a good haul and bring him back at 6.5 - 7m a year for a 5 year deal ( don’t think I’d be comfortable with 6 or 7 years ), I think he maintains most of what his is for at least 4 out of the 5 years......and at that point, the cap hit won’t be all that bad with increasing salary caps.

I guess it really depends on if he wants to be a Ranger or take the unknown and a better payday...

Reactions: motopanekeku

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I disagree, Kreider is a guy we need to keep. On pace for 55 points and over 20 goals, brings speed, physicality, crashes the net, and leadership. Can't easily replace that.

Cant afford him long term unless he takes less which he wont...............gotta sign the kid RFAs eventually

Reactions: Shootertooter

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If I thought our window was opening this season through the next 4-5, I'd say absolute. I just don't see it that way. So the cost for Kreider seems a little high based on perceived value.

It's a tough situation but I feel it's a risk they should take.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
LW Kreider (UFA) + LD Skjei (5.2m x 5)

for

LW Debrusk (>1m RFA) + LD Krug (UFA)

As a base. Tweek it with picks/prospects depending on GM's valuation of Debrusk vs Skjei long term.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I just preach patience. In 2 years its going to be looking real good. Wait to see what they look like after the deadline cause they should add a 1st and 1-2 good young players

I get you like Kreider, I do too but its a risky signing at 7x7

518NYRfan

Jul 10, 2010
kreider brings something to the table for the rangers that nobody else on the team has. mind numbing speed. an ability to finish and grit. he knows what it takes to make it to the cup finals and has been a consistent performer for his entire career. Re-sign the man. pay him 6.825 mil X 6yrs and reap the rewards.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Why would we trade Kreider and Skjei for this?

Test drive Krug and make him a offer before he goes UFA. See if he gels with our guys. He's a more bonified 1d than Skjei is.

Debrusk is a young, cost controlled LW who could fill in long term for Kreider like when we traded Brassard for Zibanejad.

With Chara entering possible retirement and Krug a UFA, Boston gets a low cost 5yr contract, maybe Skjei shines better in a 2d role there opposed to the 1d role he's forced into here.

BTW, there was the caveat that those were the base players of the deal. I didn't state that it was a 2 for 2.

I dont hate Skjei, but I'm not enamored with him as our 1d. We need a higher end player at 1d to compliment Trouba. Krug is only 28. As mentioned in our home board. No one is out there offering up 1d on a plate. Krug is an opportunity.

Kreider otoh isn't necessarily a picks and prospects move. No reason we couldn't get a young high potential guy in return.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cant afford him long term unless he takes less which he wont...............gotta sign the kid RFAs eventually

Come on man. Rangers don't have cap problems moving forward. After next season, $18.5M is off the books with Lundqvist, Staal, Smith. By that time you have to sign any RFA player, the cap space opens up but a significant margin. And you can bridge them if you wish.

You think the Rangers are going to have a Leafs problem like Matthews, Marner, Nylander?

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Rangers need more forward prospects. not a fan of Kamenev at all. i prefer someone like Kaut involved instead

I think it's manageable then. I wouldn't have a problem swapping Helleson for Kaut, if need be. their values should be pretty close nowadays.

1st + Kaut +

I offered two young guys as ready for NHL time as they can get, both projected to be bottom sixers. I thought these types would be of interest, both short (need someone to plug in after Kreider leaves) and long term. Greer has his controversies but is a physical player, something the Rangers apparently lack. but hey, if none interest you, we can talk some other names. which depth player would interest you? now, I think only Nuke should be out of reach, everyone else could be discussed. most Avs depth players are older though (like Bellemare who is 34), dunno if that would interest the Rangers...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really? Helleson is ok but defense won't be the Rangers weakness in a few seasons. Kamanev is made out of glass and Greer spends more time in the box than on the ice. Colorado doesn't have a good history of drafting well until recently. Two prospects that should interest the Rangers are Newhook and Kaut. Rather not deal with Colorado at all unless those two names come up.

Kamenev is a good bottom sixer. Probably a little worse than the Lemieux asset from the Hayes trade, but Helleson balances that out. The value is close to the Hayes template.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Kamenev is a good bottom sixer. Probably a little worse than the Lemieux asset from the Hayes trade, but Helleson balances that out. The value is close to the Hayes template.

No. Its not close. Kamanev can take his injuries and 8-9 min of TOI some place else. Rather solve as much of the bottom line issues from within as much as possible... Howden and in the near future Barron and Henriksson. You're over valuing Kamanev here. He's made out of glass and has been under the knife. Can't really compare his value with Lemieux who produces when given time. Greer as mentioned in the original post has sitting in the box written all over him. I'll give you Helleson as a long term prospect that's at least 2-3 seasons away but c'mon, Gorton has probably two of the hottest trade pieces out there in Kreider and Georgiev.
If Gorton comes back with a 1st+Kamenev/Greer+Drew Helleson for Kreider there should be some serious concerns because odds are the best part of that deal would be an assumed late 1st rounder... if Helleson turns out to be something then great but Gorton can get a better deal than that for Kreider.
Again, if Colorado is a target the only names that should be of interest are Kaut, Newhook and Byram, all of whom Sakic is likely to not move at all.

daggs94

Jul 25, 2011
NY
I think they'll have to make an imperfect deal.

Gauthier, while I don't necessarily see a top 6F, he's on the cusp of the NHL and the Rangers need bottom 6 forwards anyway. He scores a lot of AHL goal, has good size, there might be something there.

t

For what it's worth Freddie the Goat has 17 goals in over 150 AHL games and not a ton of assists either. I don't know his usage down there but he doesn't seem like he's got great hands or offensive instinc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad