Kraken off the table

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Seattle Vagrants?

Logo could be a silhouette of tents along the freeway. Kidding.

I don't understand why they just haven't gone with Totems. It's a classic.
a53dc7d27064e97c34f2ac4f4a32d255.jpg

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not a fan of any of those. And I'm a nerd who likes fantasy/dragons and such. None of them sound good off the tongue

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Don't think it'll be firebirds for the AHL due to that they ran into trademark issues. US Trademark board rejected due to a similar name in the OHL.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I would actually like it a lot given the other possibilities.

And I also doubt that the L.A. guy would tweet about it without any reassurance from a source.

BTW: I truly doubt Kraken was completely off the table, given that the video clip during christmas showed a kraken ornament on that christams tree.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I would actually like it a lot given the other possibilities.

And I also doubt that the L.A. guy would tweet about it without any reassurance from a source.

BTW: I truly doubt Kraken was completely off the table, given that the video clip during christmas showed a kraken ornament on that christams tree.

I trust him more than i trust some LA kings insider.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kraken is such a dumb name. It's not going to be that.

Yeah I agree. I said it in another thread but if they go that route they might as well just name their mascot Davy Jones and their arena can be the Flying Ducthman. In sure Bruckheimer can make it happen.

Seattle Kraken brought to you by Pirates of the Caribbean.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NHL Seattle is playing this like a stradivarius :nopity:

NHL Seattle doesn’t rule out ‘Kraken’ for team name after report suggests it has already been chosen

“While we’re aware of some fishy rumors surrounding our team name,” the tweet reads, “please rest assured we’re doing our due diligence by scouring the depths of the ocean, the tallest mountains, and the densest parts of the forest to find the right name for our great, green city.”

Hockey blogger John Hoven of mayorsmanor.com said on air Wednesday that: “From everything I’ve seen and heard, it looks like Kraken is going to be the name. Which is quite surprising, actually, when I was given that information just a few days ago. I was a little bit in shock, personally, just because we had been told previously that it was not the name they were going for.”

Hoven went on to suggest he’d been told by a team source that the franchise had been leaning toward “Sockeyes” as a name, but he added that was nixed because of possible legal issues. Romance novel writer Jami Davenport of Shelton has a Seattle Sockeyes book series.

In a phone interview Wednesday, Davenport told The Seattle Times she has only a book-related trademark for the name, but nonetheless had her lawyer write the team a year ago inviting officials to discuss the issue. She filed for the Seattle Sockeyes trademark Dec. 21, 2017, two weeks after the group that became NHL Seattle was given permission by the league to apply for an expansion team, which was awarded a year later.

“He (Davenport’s lawyer) let them know that I was willing to work with them,” she said. “And we haven’t heard a thing.”

Davenport said she doesn’t like talking about the issue in public because of the undue attention it brings. But as a hockey fan, she has a deposit on NHL Seattle season tickets and wants the team to do well.

“I don’t like people thinking I’m the holdup here, because I’m not,” she said.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Btw those quote from the author's lawyer aren't even probably new quotes.

The reason why for the delay is to do with more of acquiring another trademarked name and krakens hasn't been trademarked as of yet by anyone.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Seattle Hockey Club Of The Esteemed Jet City Kraken

How's that for a name?

Intentional juxtapositions like Jet City Kraken are, of course, right up my alley. Kind of like how I wanted to see Dallas Lone Stars.

Meanwhile, I need to go back to see if the author holding Sockeyes had simply said "the team can use that name" or "the team can use that name without compensating me." That tells me Seattle NHL either intentionally misdirected with their "no fish" comment, or changed their mind, because there's a reason the subject came up with that author.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad