Kraken off the table

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sockeyes just feels silly for an NHL team, we have one team with salmon theme in Finnish 2-tier league and there it feels like it fits in, but the NHL is the best league in the world with the strongest clubs, and their themes reflect that.

You have stuff like Bear, Eagle, Shark, different big cats, Devil, Knight, Hurricane, Avalanche etc. no matter what the theme is based on, it tends to feel strong in their own way.

But sockeye? It’s a freaking fish. Heck, even the Penguins and Ducks eat fish lol.

Idk if this sounds weird but i do think it just feels weak and that makes it feel silly.

Ducks and Penguins are easy to make look tough, give them hands to hold a stick with and add some cool features. But how does a salmon work ? Standing salmon as a mascot sounds ridiculous and goofy.

Name rolls off the tongue nicely but realistically?... ehh, there has to be something more powerful out there or something thats not a living creature.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Ducks and Penguins are easy to make look tough, give them hands to hold a stick with and add some cool features. But how does a salmon work ? Standing salmon as a mascot sounds ridiculous and goofy.

Name rolls off the tongue nicely but realistically?... ehh, there has to be something more powerful out there or something thats not a living creature.

Fish can be made to look tough.....:rolly:

5728_winnipeg__goldeyes-secondary-2011.png

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
This is sad news. The Kraken would have been badass.

In a world with so many copycat names across pro teams in other sports and college it would have been awesome to have something so unique

Reactions: sparkychewbarky

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Fish can be made to look tough.....:rolly:

5728_winnipeg__goldeyes-secondary-2011.png

Haha, the Winnipeg Goldeyes.

Speaking about Winnipeg, I think Totems is a safe bet but there couldn't be any better name than Rainiers if you ask me. Rainiers means Warriors and Rainier Mountain is a big thing of the Seattle area.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Seattle Metropolitans
Seattle Totems
Washington Huskies
Seattle Thunderbirds

LOVE them all, but let.them.be.

Let's add to the hockey tradition.

Sockeyes?

Sounds tough, just needs a kickin' logo (native artist help in stylin' would be fine).

As for the fish idea, sockeyes aggressively move with agility against the current. You can take out one or two, but they keep coming.

Headline: "It's spawning season!"

It can be as cool as killer bees.

The color of red on the Seattle NHL website is good and apt but the teal-ish green is too weak and not appropriate: Go darker emerald/jade green like a real sockeye's head and like the Emerald City deserves. And use the red for the jersey, the green for the helmet and pants.

It could be unique and cool. And tough. After all, the new GM, Eddie Olcyk's brother, spoke recently of looking to draft players who are tough and fast, not tough by fighting but blocking shots, playing through traffic, resilient, ... sounds like a Sockeye to me. :)

Reactions: Hank84

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Seattle Metropolitans
Seattle Totems
Washington Huskies
Seattle Thunderbirds

LOVE them all, but let.them.be.

Let's add to the hockey tradition.

Sockeyes?

Sounds tough, just needs a kickin' logo (native artist help in stylin' would be fine).

As for the fish idea, sockeyes aggressively move with agility against the current. You can take out one or two, but they keep coming.

Headline: "It's spawning season!"

It can be as cool as killer bees.

The color of red on the Seattle NHL website is good and apt but the teal-ish green is too weak and not appropriate: Go darker emerald/jade green like a real sockeye's head and like the Emerald City deserves. And use the red for the jersey, the green for the helmet and pants.

It could be unique and cool. And tough. After all, the new GM, Eddie Olcyk's brother, spoke recently of looking to draft players who are tough and fast, not tough by fighting but blocking shots, playing through traffic, resilient, ... sounds like a Sockeye to me. :)
I agree would you on that one sounds like Sockeye to me to.Go Sockeye Go!!

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
Yes, Sockeyes will look great while SJ's Sharkie or Vancouver's Fin walk around eating a stuffed sockeye. It's just as bad as the Golden Knights. I mean don't Knights serve Kings?

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes, Sockeyes will look great while SJ's Sharkie or Vancouver's Fin walk around eating a stuffed sockeye. It's just as bad as the Golden Knights. I mean don't Knights serve Kings?

Tell that to LA Kings when they got sweeped by Vegas two playoffs ago.

Reactions: VanIslander

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
Tell that to LA Kings when they got sweeped by Vegas two playoffs ago.

I completely understand where you are coming from but come on, you are talking 2 years in the league. Wait until Vegas has to actually deal with the salary cap and are on an even playing ground with the rest of the league.

My point still stands though that we shouldn't pick a team name that is easy for our rivals to play off of.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Sockeyes is as minor league sounding as it gets. Literally dozens of minor teams in the lowest tier leagues are named Sockeyes or some other type of fish. Are there any pro sports teams named for a fish that arent a total joke?

Reactions: SImpelton

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Sockeyes just feels silly for an NHL team, we have one team with salmon theme in Finnish 2-tier league and there it feels like it fits in, but the NHL is the best league in the world with the strongest clubs, and their themes reflect that.

You have stuff like Bear, Eagle, Shark, different big cats, Devil, Knight, Hurricane, Avalanche etc. no matter what the theme is based on, it tends to feel strong in their own way.

But sockeye? It’s a freaking fish. Heck, even the Penguins and Ducks eat fish lol.

Idk if this sounds weird but i do think it just feels weak and that makes it feel silly.

I never understood that argument. Why does a team name has to feel strong or menacing? Pro athletes won't be afraid by your team names no matter how powerful it sounds.

Let teams have names that appeal or refer to their city/environnement/history. Those are a lot more tasteful and and interesting. You won't finish higher in the standings by having a deadly animal as a logo.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
seattle emeralds was my ideal name but i would be ok with seattle evergreens or totems also lol. please not sockeyes terrible lol.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I never understood that argument. Why does a team name has to feel strong or menacing? Pro athletes won't be afraid by your team names no matter how powerful it sounds.

Let teams have names that appeal or refer to their city/environnement/history. Those are a lot more tasteful and and interesting. You won't finish higher in the standings by having a deadly animal as a logo.

Ofc i wasn’t talking from the athletes pov.. that’s ridiculous. but rather marketing and stuff like that.

The team will potentially be bad. Why make it easy for other teams to joke about it? Like someone here mentioned, their division rivals Sharks and Canucks can have their mascots eating stuffed salmon. And that’s just one quick example.

I have a tougher time coming up with cool ad/pre-game show/merch ideas for a fish than funny, mocking ones.

And don’t get me started with chirps from fans of other teams.

If there’s some really cool stuff they’ve come up with Sockeyes theme, then i guess why not. But at first glance it doesn’t fit the NHL.

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
As a Finn, Kraken sounds a Swedish word. Could be some evil-like suburb of Malmö, crow or similar kind of bird, nickname of Peter Kraknarsson...

But anyway that would be a great name for the team!

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
please not name the team sockeyes or totems. It is totally bad.

Totems??

I thou actually think that name is leading ahead.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
kraken 1.jpg
Release the Kraken. There is just so many applications for the logo etc.
Further, it would work with almost any color combination etc.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
They need to un-veto Sasquatch.

Maybe a lot of people don't know, but this is something that is deep in the cultural history of the First Nations tribes in the NW. Do it with a slightly stylized sillouete logo similar to of the public domain Frame 352 of the Patterson-Gimlin film.

EmRg7GX_d.jpg

The connotation is a fast, big, agile, mysterious creature with deep cultural ties - that is major league if you treat it with respect and great artwork/jersey, not done in a minor league trashy/cartoonist manner.

Huge marketability!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffP

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
They need to un-veto Sasquatch.

Maybe a lot of people don't know, but this is something that is deep in the cultural history of the First Nations tribes in the NW. Do it with a slightly stylized sillouete logo similar to of the public domain Frame 352 of the Patterson-Gimlin film.

EmRg7GX_d.jpg

The connotation is a fast, big, agile, mysterious creature with deep cultural ties - that is major league if you treat it with respect and great artwork/jersey, not done in a minor league trashy/cartoonist manner.

Huge marketability!!
My guess would be that no matter what they name the team, they'd use Squatch for the mascot just like the Sonics did. It would help root the team here right away, and would go a long way towards winning the hearts and minds of the folks that only care about the NHL team if it helps them get the Sonics back.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Sockeyes is as minor league sounding as it gets. Literally dozens of minor teams in the lowest tier leagues are named Sockeyes or some other type of fish. Are there any pro sports teams named for a fish that arent a total joke?
Well there are the Tampa Bay Rays. They struggle with support off the field but on the field they're usually competitive.

Since Seattle/northwest Washington is the site of a major naval base, here's a curveball to the discussion:

The Seattle Destroyers. Named for the fast, agile, powerful picket ships of a fleet. Destroyers are basically the cavalry of the sea -- agile, alert, responsive, and have the best vision of any ship in any fleet and are the ship whose job it is to spot and neutralize hidden threats like submarines.

In every fleet action the first ships to engage are the destroyers of the picket line, who fix enemy fleets' locations and assist in every kill the big gun battleships make.

Dunno bout you, but to a Bremerton-born navy brat like me that sounds... badass.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->