Kraken off the table

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sockeyes is as minor league sounding as it gets. Literally dozens of minor teams in the lowest tier leagues are named Sockeyes or some other type of fish. Are there any pro sports teams named for a fish that arent a total joke?

Going to have to agree that the name Sockeyes just sounds like a team name for a team in Nebraska in some throwaway league or something. Just feels amateurish.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well there are the Tampa Bay Rays. They struggle with support off the field but on the field they're usually competitive.

Since Seattle/northwest Washington is the site of a major naval base, here's a curveball to the discussion:

The Seattle Destroyers. Named for the fast, agile, powerful picket ships of a fleet. Destroyers are basically the cavalry of the sea -- agile, alert, responsive, and have the best vision of any ship in any fleet and are the ship whose job it is to spot and neutralize hidden threats like submarines.

In every fleet action the first ships to engage are the destroyers of the picket line, who fix enemy fleets' locations and assist in every kill the big gun battleships make.

Dunno bout you, but to a Bremerton-born navy brat like me that sounds... badass.

For how amateurish Sockeyes feels, this one feels even more so. Seems like a good team name for the AFL or XFL.

You’re on the right track with the reasoning, I can get behind that. The name just doesn’t stick with me.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The Kraken just didn’t have the ring to it anyways, could have been a cool name, logo and stuff but kinda seemed like a square peg in a circle hole.

My favorite is the Seattle Sorcerers. I don’t even think its on the list but here’s what I like about it:
Connects to emerald city/wizard of oz. High skill players get referred to as wizards. Alliteration is kinda nice. I might be mistaken but a quick search didn’t turn up any pro teams with that name. Solid mascot/logo.

Seemed fun to me, but you didn't get much likes for it. I was thinking they should just combine something to get something new, like the Seattle Seatrolls or whatever. Seattle Sorcerers sounded good.

Have the Seattle-fans given up? Team gonna get branded the Seattle Somethings instead? :naughty:

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I really hope it's the Rainiers. It's the only name that I've heard suggested that sounds like it fits in with the rest of the league and also plays in to the rich traditional and history of the city.

I feel it's a win/win. Classic sounding, not corny... Has a timeless feel to it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I really hope it's the Rainiers. It's the only name that I've heard suggested that sounds like it fits in with the rest of the league and also plays in to the rich traditional and history of the city.

I feel it's a win/win. Classic sounding, not corny... Has a timeless feel to it.
won't be, Tacoma, the Mariners AAA Club is called the Rainiers

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I think it's fair to mention that I am completely shocked that Seattle's hipster population has yet to start a petition/movement for the team to be named Pucky McPuckface. And I dare you to say that 5 times fast in your office or place of work.

Of course, it'll probably happen once the rumors start leaking.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Seemed fun to me, but you didn't get much likes for it. I was thinking they should just combine something to get something new, like the Seattle Seatrolls or whatever. Seattle Sorcerers sounded good.

Have the Seattle-fans given up? Team gonna get branded the Seattle Somethings instead? :naughty:
Thanks I did a mock up in chel and liked how it came across. Not sure if its cuz im a hawks fan or just bad timing. Woulda liked more conversation but it likely isnt even on their radar

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Steelheads and Evergreens would be my choices from the hundreds I've seen listed. You would think navy blue and silver would be the colors if Steelheads and green if Evergreens.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Steelheads and Evergreens would be my choices from the hundreds I've seen listed. You would think navy blue and silver would be the colors if Steelheads and green if Evergreens.

I think Steelheads has a good chance to be the name.
Colour wise I`ve heard they might try to distance themselves from the usual Seattle colours of green, blue or yellow(Seahawks, Sounders, Sonics, Mariners) and everything so far on their page has been in red and black.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
NHL Seattle just teased a christmas tree with ornaments on it.
Maybe a clue for the name, which is supposedly being unvailed in February or March?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
NHL Seattle just teased a christmas tree with ornaments on it.
Maybe a clue for the name, which is supposedly being unvailed in February or March?

A saw an emerald, a salmon, a whale, a shark? a seal, a dog? some mountains and an airplane...

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Theres also an eagle and an octopuss. I don't see a totem. Bunch of bull****.

I know Totems is very much liked but I doubt we'll use a native american symbol as the team name.
Even with the Totems being a former hockey team of Seattle.

I'm actually happy that Kraken(and that Whale) still seems to be on the list even though I expect Sockeyes or Steelheads being the winner.

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
That's sad news, Dougie...Kraken would have been a lot of fun...
BUT...If they go with a nautical-themed "Pilots", there'd still be some hope for "Billy"...

tRm7OhZ.jpg

Pilots is stupid when there's already a winnipeg jets, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->