Kraken off the table

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
No matter what happens, Kraken will never be off the table.
kraken 1.jpg

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That's sad news, Dougie...Kraken would have been a lot of fun...
BUT...If they go with a nautical-themed "Pilots", there'd still be some hope for "Billy"...

Not really It was only a minority of the fan base that actually wanted it.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
Not really It was only a minority of the fan base that actually wanted it.
I guess technically, you're right...if by "minority" you mean less than 50% of the fan base. But, the same can be said about ALL the names...which makes the discussion on a Seattle team name so interesting. There isn't a run-a-way favourite. Actually, "Kraken" seems to have held its own with Seattle fans (it won this board's poll), and with hockey fans outside of the region, (if merchandise numbers mean anything), I can almost guarantee you that the "K" would kick "Totems" or "Any-Fish-Names" asses.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I guess technically, you're right...if by "minority" you mean less than 50% of the fan base. But, the same can be said about ALL the names...which makes the discussion on a Seattle team name so interesting. There isn't a run-a-way favourite. Actually, "Kraken" seems to have held its own with Seattle fans (it won this board's poll), and with hockey fans outside of the region, (if merchandise numbers mean anything), I can almost guarantee you that the "K" would kick "Totems" or "Any-Fish-Names" asses.

You can't judge the full fanbase just by what we see on the internet though.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
You can't judge the full fanbase just by what we see on the internet though.
I hear ya, and you're right on...Not being in Seattle, it's all I got to go by, though.
Regardless of how popular it is or isn't, I've always been a fan of the "Kraken" name. It's great nautical name.
Seattle's an "ocean-front" city, and Kraken captures the spirit of the ocean, IMO...
Also, by process of elimination...
-I'd stay clear of indigenous names. There's a right way to go down that path, and I'm sure Seattle will go the right route, but would the franchise be always walking on eggshells? Also, in the region we already have the native-theme teams of the Canucks (Orca), Seahawks, Thunderbirds, SeaWolves...
-Steelheads and Sockeyes sound good. However at the end of the day...they're fish...
-Metropolitans has history for sure, but with a like-named division, and a similar-named NY Mets team...I don't know...
-Pilots...good name...has some history...(I just think that Kraken's a better ocean-theme monicker)
-Emeralds and Evergreens...less contentious names...could have some great green unis...I like the 'Greens over the Ems.
-Sawbucks?...Nor'Westers?

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
Actually, "Kraken" seems to have held its own with Seattle fans

In the Seattle times poll, it came in 5th behind Sockeyes, Totems, Metropolitans, and Steelheads, so locally it wasn't as popular as you suggest. I'm glad Kraken is off the table. I never really cared for the name although I suppose it does have a local association with the giant pacific octopus, but then so would a geoduck.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Kraken is an internet meme. Nothing local about it at all.

Yeah, it seems like the kind of thing a lot of 18-35 year old, very online men who would probably be disproportionately interested in any genre of music featuring the words "grind" or "metal" relative to the general population and who don't necessarily live in the PNW at all were into.

The name should have a more classic, and more locally relevant feel to it. Sockeyes is a great example that also works as a pun on hockey and it's fandom

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
No matter what happens, Kraken will never be off the table.View attachment 205311

I heartily endorse this notion. If I can help it, we will make this stick no matter what obviously lame official name ends up being chosen.

Not that I want any team I'll actually LIKE named that. It just really works in Seattle. Someone in some sport has got to do it so continents of abuse can be heaped upon them. So why would you not want it!?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I read it somewhere else, but I like The Seattle Battle Cattle. Alliteration for the win.

That thread had lots of lulz in it, I especially liked Seattlestar Galactica.

Never wanted it to be Kraken. Seems more like something the rest of the country wanted for the name than Seattle itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad