Kraken News

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

Not really a shock. Roots a pain to watch if you don't have cable. No fire stick app either and fubo tv is pricey.

Most sounders games were on q13 or fs1, same with Seahawks. Mariners were the mariners.

I think the basis of the article is not about Root Sports availability but rather why the Kraken are playing better but people are still not tuning in. Mariners have the same parallel - when they suck (most of hte time) there is baseline of viewers but when they were competitive and hot the viewership exploded too.

Let's not make this about Root sports coverage and availability. ALL NHL/NBA/MLB teams work in the model with the regional sports networks. If you're a fan of the St Louis Blues or Baltimore Orioles you have the same challenges as you do with the Seattle Kraken and their RSN. You may get the odd game over the air but most are with the local cable channel that paid for that right and they get paid from the TV providers that offer their channels.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think the basis of the article is not about Root Sports availability but rather why the Kraken are playing better but people are still not tuning in. Mariners have the same parallel - when they suck (most of hte time) there is baseline of viewers but when they were competitive and hot the viewership exploded too.

Let's not make this about Root sports coverage and availability. ALL NHL/NBA/MLB teams work in the model with the regional sports networks. If you're a fan of the St Louis Blues or Baltimore Orioles you have the same challenges as you do with the Seattle Kraken and their RSN. You may get the odd game over the air but most are with the local cable channel that paid for that right and they get paid from the TV providers that offer their channels.
I genuinely think they made a mistake chasing the money for the first couple of years. I would have tried to have got it on Q13 or similar to build up the viewership base on a new team then switched over and chased the money once it was built up.

In general they should be focused on increasing the potential size of audience not focused on maximizing viewership within a limited audience. The growth potential is 100% there.

I definitely find Root sports a barrier for new fans. If you want to learn hockey or learn about the team I doubt you are going to pay $75 a month to Fubo TV to find out. Even if it was on Sling TV, you'd get it considerably cheaper. Many people also have Youtube TV which it isn't offered on.

It may be an NHL issue rather than Kraken but I think the point still stands.

I think the Mariners is different as it's baseball. It's arguably the 2nd biggest sport in the US, so likely to have more fans/viewers in general. They've also been around for 50 years and are well established.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevinsane

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Only nfl does OTA. It would been difficult for hockey to work on a OTA network especially during nfl/ncaa football season. Nvm you limit the reach even more.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Only nfl does OTA. It would been difficult for hockey to work on a OTA network especially during nfl/ncaa football season. Nvm you limit the reach even more.
Sounders did it until this year for about 90% of their games, (rest were on FS1 and a couple on ESPN) when the league forced everyone to Apple. Thunderbirds have about 10 games shown on OTA, Storm had 28.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Sounders did it until this year for about 90% of their games, (rest were on FS1 and a couple on ESPN) when the league forced everyone to Apple. Thunderbirds have about 10 games shown on OTA, Storm had 28.

Sounders also had terrible tv ratings.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I genuinely think they made a mistake chasing the money for the first couple of years. I would have tried to have got it on Q13 or similar to build up the viewership base on a new team then switched over and chased the money once it was built up.

In general they should be focused on increasing the potential size of audience not focused on maximizing viewership within a limited audience. The growth potential is 100% there.

I definitely find Root sports a barrier for new fans. If you want to learn hockey or learn about the team I doubt you are going to pay $75 a month to Fubo TV to find out. Even if it was on Sling TV, you'd get it considerably cheaper. Many people also have Youtube TV which it isn't offered on.

It may be an NHL issue rather than Kraken but I think the point still stands.

I think the Mariners is different as it's baseball. It's arguably the 2nd biggest sport in the US, so likely to have more fans/viewers in general. They've also been around for 50 years and are well established.
I agree 100%. I grew up in Vancouver BC, and the Canucks fan base exploded when more games were seen by more people. It’s simple math. Do you want to hook 60% of 100,000 viewers, or 50% of 400,000 viewers?
I love the Seahawks and Mariners, and loved the Sonics, precisely because I could see them on a Seattle channel available where I lived.
The Kraken should be looking to reach as many households for free as they possibly can.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I have got to imagine that the Kraken blackout range for services like ESPN+ is extensive. I live in the Cleveland area and use ESPN+ to watch the Kraken but I am blacked out for Penguins games remarkably with the only service providing Pittsburghs RSN is Directv (not the Stream) that I know of in my area. ESPN+ is very affordable and I think would bring a lot of Kraken viewers in from areas that probably get blacked out.

Blackout policies need to be reviewed to accommodate the cord cutting that is becoming the norm.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I have got to imagine that the Kraken blackout range for services like ESPN+ is extensive. I live in the Cleveland area and use ESPN+ to watch the Kraken but I am blacked out for Penguins games remarkably with the only service providing Pittsburghs RSN is Directv (not the Stream) that I know of in my area. ESPN+ is very affordable and I think would bring a lot of Kraken viewers in from areas that probably get blacked out.

Blackout policies need to be reviewed to accommodate the cord cutting that is becoming the norm.
Yep, pretty much all of WA, OR, ID, And AK from what I’ve seen, possibly western MT as well. You can get it on cell in some places though if you want to watch on a phone and use data.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I agree 100%. I grew up in Vancouver BC, and the Canucks fan base exploded when more games were seen by more people. It’s simple math. Do you want to hook 60% of 100,000 viewers, or 50% of 400,000 viewers?
I love the Seahawks and Mariners, and loved the Sonics, precisely because I could see them on a Seattle channel available where I lived.
The Kraken should be looking to reach as many households for free as they possibly can.
Yeah but back in the 70s-80s and early 90s, Canucks would maybe get a game a month on CBC Hockey Night in Canada and then a few random games simulcast on BCTV. I recall all games being on TV starting in the mid90s and Sportsnet didnt launch until 98. List of Vancouver Canucks broadcasters - Wikipedia

Maybe with the new Q13 partnership there could be some simulcasts as well with games on ROOT and Fox13 or 13+. Maybe the Saturday Night home games could be split since they're the ones with higher ticket demand and nothing else on TV.

For the playoffs, "In the U.S., all games will be broadcast locally on team’s regional sports networks, as well as on one of the national TV partners, ESPN/ESPN2 and TNT/TBS. While there are no live games available with ESPN+, you will be able to watch playoff games on-demand." This was from a NHL.com article, but also states that all teams have regional sports networks.

Also those saying that Sling TV and YouTubeTV are cheap but do not carry Regional Sports Networks, that's essentially WHY they are cheap. Live Sports is one of the few things that have a cost premium and leagues/teams/networks all know this.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It's speculation but I'll still put it in here.

The NHL is still taking bids for its future All-Star Games and NHL Drafts, and no decisions have been made, to this point. There was chatter the Islanders would be in line to host an ASG in either 2025 or 2026, but I’m told that’s not the case and that is more likely to occur after 2026.

It sounds like markets like Detroit, Edmonton and Seattle may be the frontrunners to host an upcoming All-Star Game after Toronto or an NHL Draft after this summer’s event in Nashville

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

Might be bad financially for the kraken and mariners. Felt it was a dumb move taking the deal at the time over the likes of Amazon and apple

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Might be bad financially for the kraken and mariners. Felt it was a dumb move taking the deal at the time over the likes of Amazon and apple

Having a publicly traded company out of that business could also be a good thing. Ultimately though, it probably means the days are numbered.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Still think local tv with blackouts in certain regions should be done for ever.

Make it easily accesible to everyone by having one streaming platform and one subscription to watch the games.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

Still think local tv with blackouts in certain regions should be done for ever.

Make it easily accesible to everyone by having one streaming platform and one subscription to watch the games.

Still think the MLS model is the way forward. One channel for the league, one subscription and no black outs. If the kraken aren't playing browse the other games and get more familiar with other stars, team styles etc.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Still think the MLS model is the way forward. One channel for the league, one subscription and no black outs. If the kraken aren't playing browse the other games and get more familiar with other stars, team styles etc.

Well, I've got NHL.TV over here in Germany and that's what you could do.
At least until Sky Sports bought some rights and we've got some blackouts thanks to it as well.

Though, reading stuff in US markets about people not being able to watch because their cable provider doesn't carry the channel etc. and all those blackouts within the market is just so outdated.

I mean, younger people rarely will touch cable anyways and want their freedom to watch their stuff online given that it's the 21st century.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Well, I've got NHL.TV over here in Germany and that's what you could do.
At least until Sky Sports bought some rights and we've got some blackouts thanks to it as well.

Though, reading stuff in US markets about people not being able to watch because their cable provider doesn't carry the channel etc. and all those blackouts within the market is just so outdated.

I mean, younger people rarely will touch cable anyways and want their freedom to watch their stuff online given that it's the 21st century.
There's people in eastern Washington that had that issue. Blacked out of ESPN+ but couldn't get root sports or root didn't show it there.

When you're trying to build a brand limiting them to just Seattle rather than the broader state/region isn't helpful.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Tanev scratched tonight, presumably to ensure he's health for Thursday's wide-eyed Brandon Tanev bobblehead night!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad