Kraken News

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Dammit! That sucks so bad. I didn’t personally know the guy, but it just isn’t fair all the work that particular dude put into all this and passes away NOW? Dammit!

I feel a great deal more emotion over this than I expected. I knew he’d had the stroke, but was thinking maybe he’d kick out. Life is short, you all.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Dammit! That sucks so bad. I didn’t personally know the guy, but it just isn’t fair all the work that particular dude put into all this and passes away NOW? Dammit!

I feel a great deal more emotion over this than I expected. I knew he’d had the stroke, but was thinking maybe he’d kick out. Life is short, you all.

I assumed he got through the worst of it after the first week and so the last update we gotten was from the 10th then it was quiet. Must have turned for the worst the past day or so.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

This is pretty interesting. The Kraken ownership have seemed receptive about the NBA but there's good points here about competition for arena dates, especially for play offs and in turn no concerts during that time where they make a lot of money. Kraken ownership are on the hook for a lot of the arena costs. Hansen still owns the SODO land and it might make sense to have an NBA only arena there (Vegas is building a second arena). I wonder how the city council would react. There big concern (despite the port stuff) was being stuck with the old key arena but that's now been modernized and made profitable. I'm also not convinced the Kraken ownership have the whales for an NBA team and the 4 billion fee. I don't think Jazzy could swing that yet. The points about empty paid for seats i'm not too concerned about yet (lets see what happens with renewals after year 3). I think a lot was pandemic driven and a bad team towards the end of last year. I think play offs will help but tickets are so damn expensive in general. I've complained about Root sports just now. There's no excuse for anyone in the whole of Washington, Oregon and Idaho to not be able to get it and not blackout the games. They need to improve their streaming of it as well firestick app etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renopucker

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

This is pretty interesting. The Kraken ownership have seemed receptive about the NBA but there's good points here about competition for arena dates, especially for play offs and in turn no concerts during that time where they make a lot of money. Kraken ownership are on the hook for a lot of the arena costs. Hansen still owns the SODO land and it might make sense to have an NBA only arena there (Vegas is building a second arena). I wonder how the city council would react. There big concern (despite the port stuff) was being stuck with the old key arena but that's now been modernized and made profitable. I'm also not convinced the Kraken ownership have the whales for an NBA team and the 4 billion fee. I don't think Jazzy could swing that yet. The points about empty paid for seats i'm not too concerned about yet (lets see what happens with renewals after year 3). I think a lot was pandemic driven and a bad team towards the end of last year. I think play offs will help but tickets are so damn expensive in general. I've complained about Root sports just now. There's no excuse for anyone in the whole of Washington, Oregon and Idaho to not be able to get it and not blackout the games. They need to improve their streaming of it as well firestick app etc.

Seattle will never approve a 2nd arena and the NBA will never say no to a fellow NBA owner (David Bonderman minority owner of nba boston)

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I’m very skeptical (like, I call BS) about the Burakovsky bit, but Sportsnet now has both McCann’s and Burky’s return dates set for May 6. Take that for whatever it’s worth… scroll down to injuries to check it out.

• Wow
Reactions: Scomerica

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Is it known to be accurate?
Shrug. It’s Sportsnet… they and TSN are the equivalent of Canadian ESPN. I remember right before the start of the playoffs, Hak (I think it was Hak) said Burakovsky wouldn’t be recovered from his surgery until WCF at the very earliest. That and the lack of any other media coverage of this makes me highly skeptical.

On the flip side, Saturday is awfully specific and near term. I’m not sold, particularly with Burakovsky, but I wanted to post that to put it on peoples’ radar.

Edit: Three weeks ago Geoff Baker confirmed Burakovsky wouldn’t be back until the WCF or SCF.

Last edited:

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
McCann’s skating in a red “no contact” jersey. Hak thinks it’s unlikely he’ll play in Game 3, but this is a positive next step for his return.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Eddie Olczyk's time with the Kraken could be a short one.

He's one of two finalists to become the president of the Philadelphia Flyers.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I’ll just say I wish him all the best. Hope he gets the job. Weird that they’ve narrowed it down to those two.

It sounds like the function of this hire is to hobnob with the STHs and do all the press stuff while Briere makes the actual hockey decisions.
At least that's how I'm hoping it will work as I'm no fan of Jones or all the other ex-Flyers who have been gumming up the works for years.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Friday (might been saturday) was the national academy of television arts and sciences northwest chapter emmy award show

Root sports came home with 2 awards for kraken related stuff and 4 awards for the pre game intro video they show on the twins before the players take the ice.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2