Kraken News

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The NHL schedule has been released.

The Kraken are starting their season on the road at Vegas(what a surprise) on openeing day, followed by two more away games in Nashville and St. Louis.

Reactions: Kevinsane

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Darren part of sound of hockey (seattle's hockey podcast) gets hired to take over as the league's website kraken correspondent that was left open after the passing of Andy Eide.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Right on the money imo.
I'm not unhappy that he's signed, but I would have liked it to have come in more around 6.5/yr rather than 7.35
Similar to say Lindholm or Morissey, Weegar, around that number but in the end this won't kill us if it ends up an overpay since it's 4 years.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
If that is legit, that jersey looks really sharp and is a nice homage to the Seattle Metropolitans

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why the need for 2?

ice hours are HUGE demand even more so after the kraken showed up there just isn't enough public ice

Is the iceplex the only public rink in the Seattle area (I’m not counting Everett)? The Portland area has 3 public rinks with hockey ice. I think Seattle could use at least one more.

we do have other ice rinks in the region since kraken showed up 5 rinks went online (3 at north gate 2 in snoqualmie) and we lost 2 rink facilities. Its just there is just not enough to meet demand.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
ice hours are HUGE demand even more so after the kraken showed up there just isn't enough public ice

we do have other ice rinks in the region since kraken showed up 5 rinks went online (3 at north gate 2 in snoqualmie) and we lost 2 rink facilities. Its just there is just not enough to meet demand.
I wonder if UW will build one at some point with the move to the BIG10

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Why the need for 2?
Ice sheets/rinks in the area:

Everett: 1 arena (WHL) & 1 rink at same venue
Lynnwood: 1 rink
OlympicView (in Mountlake Terrace): 1 Olympic sized rink
Kirkland: 1 rink
Seattle: 3 rinks (at Iceplex)
Renton: 2 rinks: 1 regular 1 small at same venue
Snoqualmie: 2 rinks at same venue
Kent: 1 arena (WHL) & 1 other rink, separate venues
Tacoma: 2 rinks at same venue
Spanaway: 1 rink
Bremerton: 1 rink?

And with that they are all apparently booked to the max

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Speaking of rinks in Washington. Has anybody else ever had the pleasure of visiting the Yakima Ice Rink? It's really something else. An actual barn. You can touch the ceiling supports from the ice along the boards. You can touch the actual ceiling from the bench. Awesome stuff. They seem to have dramatically improved in over the last few years. When I was a youth, the place was quite possibly close to collapse.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I've played goal in Yakima - I'm not entire sure that the rink was flat (at least at the time).

I felt like if I stood in my normal stance in net, there was a natural tendency to drift towards the benches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad