Koskinen stealing the starting job?

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I don't know why it was stuck in my head that his downfall started with the twins...

Thanks for the clarification.
I think I could still have something to do with it, IMO the first year of kids is easy, they don’t do much. After they turn 1 they start walking and getting into trouble haha

Reactions: The Batman

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Don't overthink and overanalyze this.

Goalies aren't easy to predict and figure out and go hot and cold (and back again) often. Look at Holtby, Price, Murray etc. Goalies can look like worldbeaters and then look like sieves soon after and from season to season.

Ride the hot goalie who is obviously getting results until they get cold... then throw the backup in there and hopefully they can step up and help out as well.

Koskinen has pts in 8 of his 10 decisions and is saving well over 92% of the rubber he faces. That's gold in the NHL... and I don't even care if it might not even be sustainable. Roll with him until he stops getting good results.

If he can keep this up they are likely a playoff team... that's how important solid goaltending is... especially with obvious weaknesses in other areas of the team.

Don't make goaltending a weakness as well by trying to give starts to Talbot when he isn't deserving them currently.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Keep in mind also that there's likely a little bit of beginner's luck going on here (not a bad thing as the team has to milk that as well).

Not every team has faced Koskinen and the book may not completely be out on him yet to fully expose his weaknesses and openings. Sure teams make big use of video... but it's never quite the same as playing a team and facing a goalie 1st hand.

While Koskinen is still somewhat of an unknown commodity... I think playing him heavily is a solid tactic as the team gets that slight exploitable edge vs opponents and the book is much more clearly out on Talbot... for better or worse his flaws and openings are likely more well studied and known about as teams have faced him many more times.

Reactions: 5cupstandard

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The only reason Talbot should even sniff a start now is if Kosk literally throws his gear off before a game and runs out on them for some reason....Or a back to back...

Reactions: Lovsan and elmeroil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Keep in mind also that there's likely a little bit of beginner's luck going on here (not a bad thing as the team has to milk that as well).

Not every team has faced Koskinen and the book may not completely be out on him yet to fully expose his weaknesses and openings. Sure teams make big use of video... but it's never quite the same as playing a team and facing a goalie 1st hand.

While Koskinen is still somewhat of an unknown commodity... I think playing him heavily is a solid tactic as the team gets that slight exploitable edge vs opponents and the book is much more clearly out on Talbot... for better or worse his flaws and openings are likely more well studied and known about as teams have faced him many more times.

The thing with Koskinen though is that he's much better athletically than Talbot.

Talbot relies much more on positioning, so when teams scout how he positions himself and his weaknesses (glove side, side to side movement across the crease), he becomes very easy to beat.

Koskinen has a similar weakness (glove side), isn't as well positioned as Talbot, and has slightly weaker rebound control than Talbot, but his athleticism is leaps and bounds better. He also seems to be stronger mentally at this point.

Even once teams scout his weaknesses, his athleticism should allow him to continue to make more saves than Talbot would. His ability to move on after weak goals/games is also important.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
So the answer is to continue to let him cost us games?

No... I'm pretty sure the new guy taking his starting position is plenty message enough. Talbot's problem (like any goalie, or struggling established player for that matter) is between the ears. Riding some pine, practicing at the NHL level and staying with his bros (and young family for gawds sake) will let him work it out. No doubts about that. He's not old, injured or a borderline talent. Handled well this is a blip in his career.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Just saying that we just ended up in two dogfights against the worst club in the conference.

The 70's line retired. Carter and Toffoli are ghosts, Pearson traded.

Doughty is nothing close to his peak.

Dustin Brown is the best Kings player.

That's not a very good hockey club. They are years past it. They are guaranteed to be a lottery team this season. Especially with Quick in net.

I don't know that its a matchup thing as much as the Oilers just not being very good. We seem to play to the level of opposition but with random results because every game goes to the wire. We're a .500 club and it takes around 94pts to have a shot at playoffs.

We'll know more what we're about facing LV. Unfortunately it seems Talbot will get that start.

Soooooo he let in 1 goal vs a hot Vegas team tonight....probably should have pulled him hey?

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Soooooo he let in 1 goal vs a hot Vegas team tonight....probably should have pulled him hey?

Koskinen could post 5 shutouts in a row and he will still criticize him. Draisaitl on the other hand....free pass for life.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No... I'm pretty sure the new guy taking his starting position is plenty message enough. Talbot's problem (like any goalie, or struggling established player for that matter) is between the ears. Riding some pine, practicing at the NHL level and staying with his bros (and young family for gawds sake) will let him work it out. No doubts about that. He's not old, injured or a borderline talent. Handled well this is a blip in his career.

Or it could be a permanent decline like what happened with Price.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
If you could get Someone to show him how to handle the puck around the back of the net, I’d have fewer heart attacks...Talbot will be fine as well. He needs to reset mentality (as it’s been pointed out)

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
He watched a two minute video in June and decided he didn't like Koskinen.

Yeah but to be fair, I'm sure Koskinen's poor performance hasn't escaped Hitchcock.

Do you understand how arrogant you have to be to post something like that?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If you could get Someone to show him how to handle the puck around the back of the net, I’d have fewer heart attacks...Talbot will be fine as well. He needs to reset mentality (as it’s been pointed out)

Koskinen handles the puck far better than Talbot. Talbot is one of the worst at that.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
How calm I imagine Koskinen is:
Calm 1.gif

Now Talbot:
sylvester.gif

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
One little detail about Koskinen that I like is how he bangs the post with his stick when the opposition is about to enter the zone.

I could see that getting into a shooters head in a weird way.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad