Koskinen stealing the starting job?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He’s also not as knowledgeable as he thinks he is.
If this guy ends up being our #1 at anytime I'm just changing the channel.
Confirmed with Link: - Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

ps watch the hilites in that link. The mobility is comical. All he does is stretch his pads out to posts and scramble a lot.

Even on the one play even resembling a solid cross ice play he only makes the stop because the player dusts the puck up instead of actually one timing it.

The oilers pk and pass coverage is suspect. How would this guy do on NHL one timers and solid finish? This guy is really scrambled eggs in net.

I like my goalies to have elite mobility. Talbot has that.

He looks incredibly slow to me. Just giraffe like. His goaltending style consists of stretching his appendages out as far as they can go without moving. If goaltending was simply a flexibility sport he would win. heh. Cross mobility is really bad with this guy. He kind of Tim Thomas tumbles around the ice to try to disguise the issue. Not one hilite I've seen is a cross ice pure one timer. Wonder how he fares on those.

After watching every hilite available on Koskinen, who is extremely awkward, has poor mobility, and doesn't have a hope on NHL one-timers I can't agree there is any huge upside here. This guy looks worse than Nillson in mechanics. He's a flop around goalie. Literally throws himself on the ice because that's quicker for him than using his skates. This guy might have worked in the 70's. probably not.

1) Few times is he handling the puck clean with his glove. He's more swatting it, blocking it, or just not catching it. Really weird. He's creating rebounds out of nothing. That's bad news in the NHL.

3) Cross ice mobility is still an issue as I see it in that video. That he's large disguises some of that but quick passes across can burn him. This was also uncharacteristic video as not one moment involved him making his desperation lunges where he's on the ice a lot. Seen that 50 times in other videos. He seemed intent on this game to play clean. Almost like a video of film of him is being shot for scouts. hmmmm.

He's intense and seems to try to do a lot to prepare but I really don't think he has much other than size to work with. Certainly not seeing a talented goalie here. I'm seeing a guy that's learned to do enough to excel at a far lower rung of hockey.

Myself I see this as maybe a 25 % chance Koski will be good here. Less that he will cover his contract pay in games or worth. If he hits 25 games at this price he's maybe covering the bet but only if those games are getting good goaltending.

I see not even a 10% chance that he pushes Talbot or replaces him.

Myself I think Koskinen is Nilsson all over again. Not meaning any compliment with that.

Be glad to be wrong but I don't like what I see in his game.

f***ing laughable. I may have missed some posts too.

That whole thread is him trashing Koskinen based on a five minute video, and talking down to Finnish and KHL posters who watched Koskinen play for years.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As soon as we signed the guy I knew he was going to steal the job from Talbot. I have been calling to start Kosky more since the middle of Oct.

Talbot has been giving us poor back up goaltending stats for over a year.

Talbot sunk the season last year.

Now we are seeing what average or above average goaltending can do with this team.

I cant wait to see Koski really get in a grove here with more playing time. I think he gets even better.

In fairness you would have preferred any goalie that didn't have Talbots name stitched in the back. You detest Talbot. Anybody could lurk here for 25mins and detect that. Which is fair I guess, we all have our moments.

Its too early to assess conclusion on Koski, or any goalie, and ANY goalie is subject to scouting, opponent adjustments, scouting, game film etc.

You're claim is to be a student of goalies. I'll cite something. Ken Dryden was the best goalie in the NHL, thought to be the best goalie in hockey, until USSR unmasked him in the Summit series and Tretiak exhibited the future of goaltending and that he was indeed the best goalie on the planet. Dryden got exposed because the Russians observed his style, weaknesses, what he gave up.

Koskinen has the huge benefit of not being fully NHL scouted yet. Even though I'm saying we need to see a lot more games its often the case that you even need to see what next season looks like. NHL correction and scouting is often pretty delayed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My favourite quote is "I like my goalies to have elite mobility. Talbot has that."

Talbot's mobility is not even close to elite.

Reactions: frag2 and TB12

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I wonder if they wind up working out as a good tandem with split duties 50/30 40/40 or whatever depending on who is hot, how much it would cost to sign them both?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I wonder if they wind up working out as a good tandem with split duties 50/30 40/40 or whatever depending on who is hot, how much it would cost to sign them both?

I think you could just swap cap hits for next season, although it's more likely we let Talbot walk, and I doubt he'd want to come back as a backup anyways. I wanted to deal Talbot at the draft last year and offer sheet Saros at around 3M per, which I thought might be too rich for the Preds to match. Big Finn/Little Finn would have been such a cute tandem.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
In fairness you would have preferred any goalie that didn't have Talbots name stitched in the back. You detest Talbot. Anybody could lurk here for 25mins and detect that. Which is fair I guess, we all have our moments.

Its too early to assess conclusion on Koski, or any goalie, and ANY goalie is subject to scouting, opponent adjustments, scouting, game film etc.

You're claim is to be a student of goalies. I'll cite something. Ken Dryden was the best goalie in the NHL, thought to be the best goalie in hockey, until USSR unmasked him in the Summit series and Tretiak exhibited the future of goaltending and that he was indeed the best goalie on the planet. Dryden got exposed because the Russians observed his style, weaknesses, what he gave up.

Koskinen has the huge benefit of not being fully NHL scouted yet. Even though I'm saying we need to see a lot more games its often the case that you even need to see what next season looks like. NHL correction and scouting is often pretty delayed.

You got owned in that post. Just admit and move on.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The only thing odd is your fixation with me and my posting. Get over it. Those are simply comments, part of discussion and using specific points. On a discussion board. if they were wrong, they were wrong, we need more results to discern that. as for the notion that I "disrespected" the other posters certainly not my intent, and wasn't of the posters that were engaged in that discussion. Nor do people feel I am disrespectful in the Puljujarvi discussions, and with some of the same fans.

But you see it as that because you hold apparent contempt for me. Whatever. It happens, some people dislike each other. no biggy. I wouldn't hold it against you.

Anyway heres a story, because we all fall in the muck from time to time. Glen Sather absolutely HATED the idea of drafting Grant Fuhr. HATED it. He argued long and hard with Barry Fraser. Fraser finally had to yell at Glen. "I've watched him play 100 times, you've seen him play twice, who do you think knows the player better" Sather relented and the team, against his opinion, drafted Fuhr. The rest is history.

I'm a punter, so what if I'm wrong, if I'm wrong?

have a good day, I mean that sincerely. Theres better things in the world than trying to pin wrong on somebody on the internet;)

Reactions: fuswald

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You got owned in that post. Just admit and move on.

Not sure if you are reffering to that post or Dels post. GM was not speaking specifically of me.

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong, if I'm wrong. So far the results indicate I'm wrong. I'm also an Oilers fan. I have an ingrained tendency to feel that every incoming is going to be more shit.

Longstanding affiliation with being a fan of the team has not inured me to be a glass full type of fan or a Grass is greener believer. Those are my learned biases, because Oilers...;)

Albeit those are rationalizations for complaining..

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
The only thing odd is your fixation with me and my posting. Get over it. Those are simply comments, part of discussion and using specific points. On a discussion board. if they were wrong, they were wrong, we need more results to discern that. as for the notion that I "disrespected" the other posters certainly not my intent, and wasn't of the posters that were engaged in that discussion. Nor do people feel I am disrespectful in the Puljujarvi discussions, and with some of the same fans.

But you see it as that because you hold apparent contempt for me. Whatever. It happens, some people dislike each other. no biggy. I wouldn't hold it against you.

Anyway heres a story, because we all fall in the muck from time to time. Glen Sather absolutely HATED the idea of drafting Grant Fuhr. HATED it. He argued long and hard with Barry Fraser. Fraser finally had to yell at Glen. "I've watched him play 100 times, you've seen him play twice, who do you think knows the player better" Sather relented and the team, against his opinion, drafted Fuhr. The rest is history.

I'm a punter, so what if I'm wrong, if I'm wrong?

have a good day, I mean that sincerely. Theres better things in the world than trying to pin wrong on somebody on the internet;)
I finally got to watch Coco yesterday. Excellent documentary! I can see you enjoyed it too :thumbu:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
My favourite quote is "I like my goalies to have elite mobility. Talbot has that."

Talbot's mobility is not even close to elite.

There were even better, more extreme and absolute posts, in the PGT where Talbot got lit up and pulled.

Someone in the Mains [could've been a fellow HFOiler] that posted it best - Koskinen didn't steal the starting role, Talbot just stole the back up role.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I finally got to watch Coco yesterday. Excellent documentary! I can see you enjoyed it too :thumbu:

Yeah, I enjoyed it more than I thought because it contained a lot of stuff I hadn't heard. usually with these docs its rehashing a lot that has already been out there. With the Coco Doc I either forgot some of the stuff or it was told from a unique "Fuhr" perspective. In retrospect so much of the thought back then was kind of ugly. Sather even had referred to him as "That dumb kid" in relation to Fuhr's financial troubles. The interesting thing is seeing that video, the memories, the pains, the hurt, in a different decade and time.

People were real hard on Fuhr here back in the day. Initially I liked Moog more as well. But I think that was due to how quickly Moog ran with it, and the Montreal series.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mic. Drop.

Its a good post. Taking the mask off any lone ranger is a good thing. But still, its a timing post and the saga isn't completed.

Looking back the biggest thing that distorts my comments is probably just despising Chia and inferring more of the worst. An area to work on in retrospect. Confirmation bias as I mentioned this am. We see what we want to see.

I'll try to take my lumps with grace, even though it hurts...Owwwww! ;)

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Its a good post. Taking the mask off any lone ranger is a good thing. But still, its a timing post and the saga isn't completed.

Looking back the biggest thing that distorts my comments is probably just despising Chia and inferring more of the worst. An area to work on in retrospect. Confirmation bias as I mentioned this am. We see what we want to see.

The Great Gatsby 02122018130957.jpg

Reactions: TB12

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
lol u guys are funny.

For my part I didn't see a player at all in pre-season. I thought it was Gustavsson part two. Actually, worse.

I never imagined we'd be where we are now with a great home record for which he deserves a lions' share of the credit. If others could look at that debacle in pre-season and see a guy with great NHL goaltending ability, kudos to them. I sure as hell didn't.

Of course, now I do. Because.. he makes saves and stuff.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He had twins at the start of the 2016-17 season when he finished 4th in vezina voting. IIRC he started the season slowly, had twins and then his game took off. It's what earned him the nickname Dadbot.

Sadly, Dadbot is a term used to explain his putrid play.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Was wondering what programs you’re now watching when Koskinen and the Oilers play?:D:popcorn:

Reactions: McCombo and TB12

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Just saying its too early to evaluate, which it is. After same number of games played people here were anointing Nilsson as starter. How did that work out.

Koski was very shaky last night against the worst scoring team in the league. Gave up 3, one called back, got saved on another by Brodziak sliding across.

Could easily have been 4-5 GA against a club that gets 2 a night. He seemed to have difficulty getting set and ready last night. I was wondering if he's already impacted by work load. He's a big man, not used to playing as many game as an NHL schedule. I think we need to see 20 games before we have an idea what we got.

Do you even remember your posts?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
He should switch back to his original Ghostbusters mask. Since he's changed to the new GB version, he sucks.
Plus, isn't it a little morbid portraying your children as ghosts? It's weird. Does he himself think he's a ghost? Because he usually is for the first 5 min of the game.

Reactions: frag2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I feel/felt amazingly disrespected poimting out the difference between Koski and Francouz in Sept...

... but I have been told over and over again that ,"I told you so"-posts aren't allowed on hf. Has this changed with the new hf???

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->