Koskinen stealing the starting job?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
He's more positionally sound than Talbot, his glove side isn't a glaring weakness, he can track the puck, makes the big saves at crucial times... he's a calming influence in net.

He keeps playing like this, we should run a tandem between the two.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Going to need more than two good games to steal a job. He was great tonight though. He doesn't need to steal Talbot's job to be a part of this club. We have been looking for a backup for years and hopefully this guy is it.

If they can split enough so Talbot doesn't start 67-73 games a year like Talbot has done for the past two seasons, then great. If Mikko is good enough to play 25+ steady games, then great.

Reactions: SaltNPeca

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Honestly surprised to see him stone Kane like he did tonight. He was giving sneaky Kane fits. Made half a dozen solid stops on shots that could have gone in. The kind of sneaky shots Kane has beat a lot of goalies with. I'm using Kane as a scale because he's a dynamite scorer and of a variety that Koskinen would not have faced before. I thought Koski might have more trouble with the quick release.

Will be interesting to see what occurs. I still think there will be tough nights but solid outing tonight with Oilers looking after rebounds and good active sticks tonight.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ask again in a few months or after he has a few more starts.
Remember when Laurent Brossoit had that killer performance against the Sharks?

That said, I hope they both do well and makes it hard for the staff to decide.

This is what concerns me. Not just LB, but remember Scrivens's 59-save shutout against the Sharks? I still think both LB and Scrivens could have been good if we had competent defence and coaching, but that's beyond the point. I really like Koskinen and hope he does stay consistently good. At least he has a better defence to help him out than Scrivens and LB did.

Reactions: Supermassive

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This is what concerns me. Not just LB, but remember Scrivens's 59-save shutout against the Sharks? I still think both LB and Scrivens could have been good if we had competent defence and coaching, but that's beyond the point. I really like Koskinen and hope he does stay consistently good. At least he has a better defence to help him out than Scrivens and LB did.

I dunno ... when I watched Brossoit ... I always felt uncomfortable. He didnt seem to track the puck very well. I havent watched him this year. Maybe he just never got into his groove because he didnt play much.

Koskinen just seem calm in net. Feels like hes in control. I dont feel uncomfortable watching him. Something about finnish personality ... makes for great goalies I think.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Honestly surprised to see him stone Kane like he did tonight. He was giving sneaky Kane fits. Made half a dozen solid stops on shots that could have gone in. The kind of sneaky shots Kane has beat a lot of goalies with. I'm using Kane as a scale because he's a dynamite scorer and of a variety that Koskinen would not have faced before. I thought Koski might have more trouble with the quick release.

Will be interesting to see what occurs. I still think there will be tough nights but solid outing tonight with Oilers looking after rebounds and good active sticks tonight.
I'm interested in hearing a contrast between Koski and Anders Nilsson from you. I remember back in McDavid's rookie year, Nilsson had a bit of a hot stretch but sure enough, fell (wayyy) down to Earth; I believe you were one of the users warning against Nilsson's technique and form. I can't help but notice some parallels between the two (big goaltenders, iffy rebound control, success in KHL) and would like to know if you see Koskinen as having more potential than Nilsson did at that point.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I dunno ... when I watched Brossoit ... I always felt uncomfortable. He didnt seem to track the puck very well. I havent watched him this year. Maybe he just never got into his groove because he didnt play much.

Koskinen just seem calm in net. Feels like hes in control. I dont feel uncomfortable watching him. Something about finnish personality ... makes for great goalies I think.

True enough about LB. But Scrivens? I thought Scrivens was almost guaranteed going to be a top 10 goaltender in the league. And remember he was good in his time behind a competent defence in LA as well. I tend to think the team failed him more than he failed the team. That's not really relevant when discussing Koskinen though. I really like how he's played. Seems to have that never give up attitude but he's also not scrambly. Plus he has the size.

Reactions: TheNumber4

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
True enough about LB. But Scrivens? I thought Scrivens was almost guaranteed going to be a top 10 goaltender in the league. And remember he was good in his time behind a competent defence in LA as well. I tend to think the team failed him more than he failed the team. That's not really relevant when discussing Koskinen though. I really like how he's played. Seems to have that never give up attitude but he's also not scrambly. Plus he has the size.

I cant really remember Scrivens that well ... sorry duder.

Reactions: ujju2

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Talbot is the starter. They will play him the usual starter minutes. It will take quite a bit for Kosinen to steal his job. That said I personally would start him again on saturday. Talbot after last year should feel the preasure, but TM is loyal. He won't do that.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Oiler fans have been starving for some reliable goaltending. Having an option instead of being stuck no matter what is fantastic - not saying we're there after 2 games, just so happy that it's not a bad result already.

It is nice, yes, but it's one game.

One game!

Considering how many of us wanted him fired into the sun during preseason, I'd much rather take a wait-and-see approach than anoint him the starter after one excellent performance.

That said, if this keeps up, it'll remind me of the Garon/Roloson controversy of 2007-08.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

One game!

Considering how many of us wanted him fired into the sun during preseason, I'd much rather take a wait-and-see approach than anoint him the starter after one excellent performance.

That said, if this keeps up, it'll remind me of the Garon/Roloson controversy of 2007-08.

Ya, the thing is too before a goalie plays much there is no scouting reports on them. After this game there will be thousands of minutes of taped looked at to exploit his weaknesses. I like Koskinen so far obviously but I am far from sold.

He might get lit up next game. Hard to say.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This thread is premature.

But that was a damn solid performance tonight. And not the kind of scrambley performance where a goalie makes a tonne of incredible saves but is sort of on the edge of disaster the whole time.

He didn't give the Hawks a thing to shoot at all night. Total control of his body and the net the whole game. That was the kind of game you dream about from a goalie that giant.

Reactions: Oilhawks

JMecc

Oct 19, 2011
Edmonton

One game!

Totally agree. Not yet sold on Koskinen either, just unhappy the Oilers have done so little to bring in a real #1 in 20 years and antsy for them to realize Talbot is not now a top half #1 (or for Talbot to start giving more effort and becoming one).

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
This thread is premature.

But that was a damn solid performance tonight. And not the kind of scrambley performance where a goalie makes a tonne of incredible saves but is sort of on the edge of disaster the whole time.

He didn't give the Hawks a thing to shoot at all night. Total control of his body and the net the whole game. That was the kind of game you dream about from a goalie that giant.
Yeah he earned every save on those 40 shots. He knew where the puck was all night, solid positioning using his big frame wisely, and those glove saves, man he makes it look easy.
I want Mikko to take the starter position so bad, multiple comments from players and the coach on how they love to play for him and have confidence in him.

2 more consectuive bad starts from Cam, followed by 2 more great perfomances from Mikko, and maybe we have a new starter. Or at least a 50/50 tandem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->