Koskinen stealing the starting job?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Also he is 30 year old pro so camp means zero to him.

You didn't watch him in preseason or listen to any of his interviews I assume? His angles were off, its a different rink size in the KHL and a different offensive game over there. This by his own admission.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
He's doing amazing considering the leap from KHL to NHL and I think he'll only get better, clearly he's our starter so now let's talk contract and what to do with Talbot?

Plevna

Nov 2, 2018
Are you seriously thinking next goalie contracts in Edmonton already?

Why not? Koskinen is real deal. He is 1. goalie now and maybe will be in future but he is decent backup at least. Koskinen has been the best goalie in Europe last five years. No doubt that he can play on very high level in NHL too.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hasn't been enough results yet. Koski was obviously shaky last night. All 3 goals that got by him were bad. Fortunate to have one called back but those are all saves he could have had. This is LA, the worst scoring club in the league.
Brodz also saved a GA when Koski got out of position. If that's a goal theres a decidedly different tone here. Or if the third Kings goal wasn't called back on an offside call.

A couple of the breakaways Koski got luck as well. brown got the puck through his pads on one, Koski just touched it wide.

My biggest concern is that this is the first time we've seen Koski with an ample work load and his concentration really looked off last night.

People are anointing him as a #1 now and we haven't seen him play well in 3 games in a row. We need to see him night after night to make any conclusions on his ability to carry a load. My take is this isn't a guy that is a #1 in NHL that can play 60-70 a night. I see him more as a share the load goalie.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Are you seriously thinking next goalie contracts in Edmonton already?

How are you not? Koskinen is only signed for this season and has been playing great, then you've got Talbot with his contract up, playing worse than Montoya so he's no longer even backup level. You could try and sign him cheap but I think most fans would prefer to find a legitimate backup over a goalie with massive confidence issues that have been ongoing for 2 seasons now. Enough of the confidence issues, we've already got Lucic for that. Harsh but it's true.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Hasn't been enough results yet. Koski was obviously shaky last night. All 3 goals that got by him were bad. Fortunate to have one called back but those are all saves he could have had. This is LA, the worst scoring club in the league.
Brodz also saved a GA when Koski got out of position. If that's a goal theres a decidedly different tone here. Or if the third Kings goal wasn't called back on an offside call.

A couple of the breakaways Koski got luck as well. brown got the puck through his pads on one, Koski just touched it wide.

My biggest concern is that this is the first time we've seen Koski with an ample work load and his concentration really looked off last night.

People are anointing him as a #1 now and we haven't seen him play well in 3 games in a row. We need to see him night after night to make any conclusions on his ability to carry a load. My take is this isn't a guy that is a #1 in NHL that can play 60-70 a night. I see him more as a share the load goalie.

Well I like the way he sees the puck through traffic WAY better than Talbot has, he seems pretty consistent there, some big rebounds here and there but he's good on those chances too. And really he's been fantastic 1-on-1, especially last night. Like I said, I think he'll get better and he's winning them games, sure wait a bit more but other teams might notice and offer sheet him, then we're stuck with nothing.
And you know how teams love taking our apparent *trash* goalies and turning them into amazing starters, imagine taking one that hasn't been ruined by the organization yet, whether it be Schwartz or whatever lol..

As for the goals, the 1st one was a ridiculously good screen, 2nd was a bad save, 3rd thankfully didn't count but also noticed he didn't have his pads to the post - should've stopped that. Still, there's no arguing that he's not the best goalie on the team right now.

To me, he makes some big saves when it matters, the team certainly plays better in front of him and had Talbs been in net I bet that game would've been 6-3.

Reactions: elmeroil

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
So now we're calling cross ice one-timers on a 5 on 3 a straight up bad goal?

JFC, this place.

I've said it before, when Koskinen is in net they've won most of the games. The team has played well in front of him and not great with Talbot in net. He's made key stops when called upon but some of the guys on this board prefer to pick him apart for his 2 goals against including a 5 on 3 goal. So brutal....the guy is clearly a winner..get behind him ffs.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Every save by Koskinen = luck
Every goal on Koskinen = bad goaltending

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
At this point for him it's just staying ..........(oh right thoughts deleted to ward off jinx voodoo).....and consistent and he will be a starter for sure. He's too big and hasn't been rattled yet. I just hope we keep Schwartz gagged and in a padlocked dufflebag for the duration of his coaching sessions with Koski.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I've said it before, when Koskinen is in net they've won most of the games. The team has played well in front of him and not great with Talbot in net. He's made key stops when called upon but some of the guys on this board prefer to pick him apart for his 2 goals against including a 5 on 3 goal. So brutal....the guy is clearly a winner..get behind him ffs.

He's hands down the reason they're even sniffing a playoff spot. I'm thankful to have him here. Maybe there's some Talbot lovers out there that think he'll rebound, but he's only been consistent with 2 things, letting in shots early and having glaring confidence issues.

Reactions: elmeroil

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

This same worst scoring club just beat the Oilers with Talbot in net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just saying its too early to evaluate, which it is. After same number of games played people here were anointing Nilsson as starter. How did that work out.

Koski was very shaky last night against the worst scoring team in the league. Gave up 3, one called back, got saved on another by Brodziak sliding across.

Could easily have been 4-5 GA against a club that gets 2 a night. He seemed to have difficulty getting set and ready last night. I was wondering if he's already impacted by work load. He's a big man, not used to playing as many game as an NHL schedule. I think we need to see 20 games before we have an idea what we got.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I wait another month or two even three and if the consistency is there then you take the risk.

That year Nilsson heated up he cooled a month or two later so lets make Koskinen prove it for a longer stretch.

If he is good just dont wait till end of season cause somehow Calgary will sign him

Reactions: Drivesaitl

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
It's funny that Koskinen seems to get handcuffed by knuckle pucks on a semi regular basis but on a breakaway or odd man rush he's magic.

That save against Toffoli last night after we had scored the third goal was special.

His only two losses were against Tampa (best team in the league IMO) on the second half of back to back on a long road trip... we were never winning that one. The other was against Calgary. He wasn't great, but the team completely imploded in front of him. We got outshot like 15-1 in that third period.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This same worst scoring club just beat the Oilers with Talbot in net.

Both games were virtually identical. Both we're close games decided by one goal (Kings just got the two empty net goals the other night)

But without the offside goal called back it looked like the same result.

Look, its one thing to say Koski has been better than Talbot this season thus far, sure he has. but to try to make some difference in the two games? There wasn't any. The results were last goal wins in both games. Two bad clubs trading games as also rans. Oilers didn't play well last night either, or the previous Kings game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad