Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
And these two certainly played more than one position. Count em....TWO in the top 5!! Good on MM for recognizing them even if the OHL did not. WE know what they did and I for one can't wait to see more of them in the future!

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but a "Rookie Team" should be all 2003s in my opinion. Pinelli was an absolute pick in my mind that should have been on the team. No disrespect to McDonnell but he is an 2002 and shouldn't even be up for consideration......he is actually a month older than Valade. He had a great year and that shouldn't be ignored but "rookie'.....nope. He also isn't the only one.....multiple 2002s were chosen.

I guess I'm old school and only view 2003s as rookies but you've got two great players to build around either way. Again, Pinelli should have been there.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but a "Rookie Team" should be all 2003s in my opinion. Pinelli was an absolute pick in my mind that should have been on the team. No disrespect to McDonnell but he is an 2002 and shouldn't even be up for consideration......he is actually a month older than Valade. He had a great year and that shouldn't be ignored but "rookie'.....nope. He also isn't the only one.....multiple 2002s were chosen.

I guess I'm old school and only view 2003s as rookies but you've got two great players to build around either way. Again, Pinelli should have been there.

that’s a fair stance. the most absurd one there was Martin Chromiak, an 02 import who came after Christmas. had a really good 28 games, but all-rookie team? come on

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
that’s a fair stance. the most absurd one there was Martin Chromiak, an 02 import who came after Christmas. had a really good 28 games, but all-rookie team? come on
Uh, Chromiak had a higher points per game than any rookie in the league. Sure he only played half the season, but you can't just completely discount his performance because of that. As for including a 17 year old import, it happens every year. Kolyachonok, Svechnikov, etc.

Reactions: dirty12 and Saggy

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
My issue isnt performance as they all did well. But a 2003 and a 2002 are very different players. In my mind, a 2002 is not a rookie

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
My issue isnt performance as they all did well. But a 2003 and a 2002 are very different players. In my mind, a 2002 is not a rookie

The key thing you are saying is "in my mind". I understand what you are trying to say but most definitions of "rookie" allude to the fact that the player is a first year player. If you look at the Calder Trophy in the NHL, there are several ages that have one it. Sergei Makarov won it at age 31 and as I recall, they changed the rule the following year saying that the maximum age would be 25.

These rules are made up the backroom unfortunately. Why did Gretzky not win the rookie of the year? I recall it was "because he already played professionally in another league".

I understand that it probably makes a greater difference in junior hockey; those few years. But if they get into distinguishing between the age of the players, then they would have to device some sort of prorated method to keep it fair. So for now, a rookie is a rookie..........first year in the league and...........I think there is a minimum amount of games one must play? Can someone back me up here?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The key thing you are saying is "in my mind". I understand what you are trying to say but most definitions of "rookie" allude to the fact that the player is a first year player. If you look at the Calder Trophy in the NHL, there are several ages that have one it. Sergei Makarov won it at age 31 and as I recall, they changed the rule the following year saying that the maximum age would be 25.

These rules are made up the backroom unfortunately. Why did Gretzky not win the rookie of the year? I recall it was "because he already played professionally in another league".

I understand that it probably makes a greater difference in junior hockey; those few years. But if they get into distinguishing between the age of the players, then they would have to device some sort of prorated method to keep it fair. So for now, a rookie is a rookie..........first year in the league and...........I think there is a minimum amount of games one must play? Can someone back me up here?

but if it’s first year in the league, why didn’t Ukko-Pekka Luukonen make it last year? that was rhetorical because I know it’s 1st and 2nd year eligibility players. in theory, it’s the all-rookie U18 team.

in terms of games played, I don’t know if there’s a minimum but if there is I think it’s 25. Martin Chromiak played 28 and got on but Jan Mysak played 22 and didn’t make it.

Reactions: HockeyPops

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
100% Ward. If Skinner has another season in Kitchener or if he pulls off the upset against Windsor he's also on the list.

I agree that Skinner would have been among our top five or six had he completed his junior eligibility and his development continued to escalate. But as it stands today, I have him on par with Derek Roy. And I have Derek Roy just one notch below Mike Richards.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe so but he is another one of those guys that only played one year here. So once again, does he qualify to be GOAT? What is the criteria?

For me, there are two different questions:

Question One:
Who is the best player to have ever played in a Ranger uniform?

That would include everybody to have ever played no matter how long as a Ranger. That includes the likes of Coffey, Robinson, etc.

Question Two:
Who is the best Kitchener Ranger ever?

In this group, I would exclude their careers after leaving Kitchener. I would only look at their time as Rangers. With this in mind, there’s a possibility that there could be players on this list who’ve never really had much of a pro career at all but had exceptional careers in Kitchener. That would include, players who had star careers at this level but mediocre careers otherwise. Jeff Larmer. Ron Goodall. Dave Latta, etc.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Question One:

That would include everybody to have ever played no matter how long as a Ranger. That includes the likes of Coffey, Robinson, etc.

Question Two:

In this group, I would exclude their careers after leaving Kitchener. I would only look at their time as Rangers. With this in mind, there’s a possibility that there could be players on this list who’ve never really had much of a pro career at all but had exceptional careers in Kitchener. That would include, players who had star careers at this level but mediocre careers otherwise. Jeff Larmer. Ron Goodall. Dave Latta, etc.

Agreed. I think this discussion was on here not too long ago. Having 2 sets of banners.....1 for each of your categories.

Dave Latta? Hmmm? Let's agree to disagree here.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Question One:

Question Two:

Steve Rice comes to mind along with Jeff Larmer (as you noted above).
Strange or weird how Bill Barber isn't mentioned on here but is in the HHOF. But personally I think Barber was a good NHL player but falls way short of the HHOF. But IMHO the Hall has numerous players that falls short of that enshrinement.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Dave Latta? Hmmm? Let's agree to disagree here.

When I mentioned Latta, and Goodall, I was quickly looking for a couple of guys who had all star calibre Ranger careers but never amounted to much at the pro level. He was an NHL first rounder and did play on the ‘87 world junior team. That has to count for something. He did have a high end career as a Ranger.

I could add Mike Torchia to the same category.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Steve Rice comes to mind along with Jeff Larmer (as you noted above).
Strange or weird how Bill Barber isn't mentioned on here but is in the HHOF. But personally I think Barber was a good NHL player but falls way short of the HHOF. But IMHO the Hall has numerous players that falls short of that enshrinement.

Bill Barber? Oh, come one! He was the Godfather of the dive! ;-)

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
QMJHL also doesn't have to deal with constant cross-border travel.

could this be an opportunity for the OHL to experiment? there was talk that the Blue Jays may need to find an American home for this season. could Erie, Saginaw and Flint briefly relocate to Ontario? it is obviously a bit tougher than the pros because there isn't as much money coming into the OHL, but there is so much talk of Chatham/Cornwall OHL teams & if there can be fans in seats, the OHL will (hopefully) never get this good of an opportunity to test these cities out again.

The borders will be open soon enough. As for fans in seats, apparently there's no COVID and no need for distancing if you hold a protest/rally. Even the mayors and regional chair attended along with wall-to-wall participants.

But back to hockey, I say let QMJHL get a head start so the OHL can see if they can too. Way back, I noted that the OHL was looking at the possibility of starting their season in Nov/Dec and running the bulk of their games in 2021. Still very possible. It will all depend how the summer goes I suppose.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The borders will be open soon enough. As for fans in seats, apparently there's no COVID and no need for distancing if you hold a protest/rally. Even the mayors and regional chair attended along with wall-to-wall participants.

But back to hockey, I say let QMJHL get a head start so the OHL can see if they can too. Way back, I noted that the OHL was looking at the possibility of starting their season in Nov/Dec and running the bulk of their games in 2021. Still very possible. It will all depend how the summer goes I suppose.
I guess fighting racial discrimination is more important to some people than fighting the Covid-19 pandemic. To others it might be watching a junior hockey game. It's a matter of priority and perspective I suppose.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I guess fighting racial discrimination is more important to some people than fighting the Covid-19 pandemic. To others it might be watching a junior hockey game. It's a matter of priority and perspective I suppose.

The government gave us an out........"Wear masks wherever social distancing is not possible". Definitely not possible in the Aud beer lineups.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The government gave us an out........"Wear masks wherever social distancing is not possible". Definitely not possible in the Aud beer lineups.
In fact, the Mayor of Kitchener welcomed the opening of the Farmer's Market and when asked about distancing, he said to just wear a mask when distancing is not possible. Soooooo....let's apply that to the Aud!

Reactions: EvenSteven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad