Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I like what MM did. Got a high end C, took 2 G, some puck moving D and took flyers on a few skilled US kids. If a couple report it's a great draft.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Well MM was very high on LeBlanc and I trust him so whether or not that means we have a deal with SAG in back wings or not. The bottom line is that I really like who he has taken in this draft.
Not a knock on LeBlanc. It's a knock on him being unproven. Anything can happen to 16 year olds.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Well MM was very high on LeBlanc and I trust him so whether or not that means we have a deal with SAG in back wings or not. The bottom line is that I really like who he has taken in this draft.

Proverbial grain of salt. He’s have said that about whoever he picked in the first round.

Reactions: rangersblues

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think Fegaras might be the one pick we are over looking, saw comments about how he was expected to go higher.

Apparently he’s got a hard shot and skates really well. Like what I read about almost every player it seems though.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The trouble with your theory is we could have taken Fantilli in the draft and used whatever draft picks that are necessary to acquire him from Saginaw now to trade for a proven vet when the time comes to compete in a couple of years. That vet would be proven and in all likelihood better than LeBlanc.
if LeBlanc pans out though, they can get 2 playoff runs out of him. it's a risk but one I'm willing to take to go in

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The following is pure speculation. But:

I think with Fantilli still on the board, the long delay by the Rangers may have been caused by MM being in direct contact with the Fantilli camp in a “Hail Mary” effort to get him to commit to playing here this year.

You obviously have to try with that kind of talent staring you in the face on draft day.

MM didn’t get the commitment needed to risk taking him so he moved on to plan B.

Saginaw was likely waiting to pounce on him if he was available. The closer their pick got with him still on he board, the more their war room debated him.

I think they decided they’d take him and try to sign him. After all. They took a chance on Perfetti and he reported. Based on that, they are confident they have a shot.

Best case scenario? He signs there. Worst case? They have to declare him defective and take the comp pick next year. Somewhere in he middle? They can’t sign him but can trade his rights to a team he will play with.

Remains to be seen.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The following is pure speculation. But:

I think with Fantilli still on the board, the long delay by the Rangers may have been caused by MM being in direct contact with the Fantilli camp in a “Hail Mary” effort to get him to commit to playing here this year.

You obviously have to try with that kind of talent staring you in the face on draft day.

MM didn’t get the commitment needed to risk taking him so he moved on to plan B.

Saginaw was likely waiting to pounce on him if he was available. The closer their pick got with him still on he board, the more their war room debated him.

I think they decided they’d take him and try to sign him. After all. They took a chance on Perfetti and he reported. Based on that, they are confident they have a shot.

Best case scenario? He signs there. Worst case? They have to declare him defective and take the comp pick next year. Somewhere in he middle? They can’t sign him but can trade his rights to a team he will play with.

Remains to be seen.

Speculation is fun...but can't be helped with that long delay. Leblanc was rumoured to be a potential London pick. So once MM confirms that Fantilli won't commit, he goes for the Leblancs (it was made known that the brothers wanted to go to the same team). Sag is up and I agree...they signed a Perfetti so what's to say Fantill won't join them in the following year? Now London has to go to Plan B or C.....no Leblanc...no Fantilli....so there's a long delay there before picking Bujold. But at the end of it all, teams got picks that were on their board.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Speculation is fun...but can't be helped with that long delay. Leblanc was rumoured to be a potential London pick. So once MM confirms that Fantilli won't commit, he goes for the Leblancs (it was made known that the brothers wanted to go to the same team). Sag is up and I agree...they signed a Perfetti so what's to say Fantill won't join them in the following year? Now London has to go to Plan B or C.....no Leblanc...no Fantilli....so there's a long delay there before picking Bujold. But at the end of it all, teams got picks that were on their board.

Pretty sad when we base our picks on what London does or does not do. I suppose it is a testament to them and their scouting team. But would it not be a better idea to develop our own scouts and perhaps use the Knights model?

In a personal way, I hope something was concocted to bring Fantilli our way either this year or next at the very least. Not because he would be such a huge addition, though he would be, but it might hint that MM is a genius and possibly an up and coming, dare I say, Mark Hunter.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Idk if McKenzie is a genius, but he’s certainly closed the gap between us and other top franchises IMO. If he can get Shedd/Lewis to report this draft even without Gauthier or Kaplan report.

Reading about Kenny Connors, he’s an 03 (so a year older then rookie) that played a handful of games with the USDP last year and is committed to UMass for 2021-22 but has nothing listed for 2020-21 season. Maybe this is a guy that could come this year and not count to the 16 year old cap?
Trying to find more about him

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Bored and looking at when we will be good again for the 2021-22 season. This is looking pretty good as all players will develop this year. The age group is very good to go for it. You have the chances to add free players (already drafted like Schmidt, Gauthier, Shedd, etc) who are very good but have commitments else where to right now. The only spot I added via trade was OA D and starting goalie.

I’d get this line up set as soon as possible for this year by trading away Dickerson, Vukojevic and 1 of the OA D so this core has a full 2 years to play together.

2021-22 roster
Valade 19 - Pinelli 18 - Import 18 or 19
Langdon 19 - Petizian OA - McDonnell 19
Martin 18 - Leblanc 17 - Serpa 19
Swick 17 - 2021 1st 16 - Fishman 18
Sop - 18

Xhekaj OA - Sebrango 19
Ottavainen 19 - Motew 18
LeBlanc 17 - Trade OA

Starter - imo we are going to have to trade for one
Back up - Parsons

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
still not sold on Fantilli being a Saginaw Spirit. the unusually long pause when Kitchener went and the almost instant selection of Fantilli by Saginaw makes me think something is up.

Fantilli (a late birthday) will be in his 3rd year and NHL draft year and Pinelli will be in his 4th year in the league in 2022-23. potentially add Roman Schmidt and the rest of the supporting cast (Motew, Fishman, LeBlanc, etc.) and that team will be a force to be reckoned with. how can MM not try and go for that
I wouldn't put too many bets on Fantilli even showing up in Saginaw let alone ever being in Kitchener. Not sure why anyone would think he would prefer to play here. If there was a chance he wanted to he would of been happy to be drafted by MM don't you think Matthews?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Wonder what the Rangers do for a rookie camp? The draft is over but there are so many question marks now with the COVID issues. Kids aren't even in school and this could go on for months.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Wonder what the Rangers do for a rookie camp? The draft is over but there are so many question marks now with the COVID issues. Kids aren't even in school and this could go on for months.

There likely won’t be one. Not a big deal. There was a time when spring rookie camps didn’t happen.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn't put too many bets on Fantilli even showing up in Saginaw let alone ever being in Kitchener. Not sure why anyone would think he would prefer to play here. If there was a chance he wanted to he would of been happy to be drafted by MM don't you think Matthews?

We likely weren’t ever in the picture.

Hats off to Saginaw for taking a shot. As long as they’re willing to accept the worst case scenario that they may have to declare him defective and waive him without being able to complete a deal, and walk away with nothing but the comp pick next year, then all the power to them.

I hope they either sign him or complete a trade for his rights. Love to see him in our league.

Reactions: bobber and Gondrex

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I suspect that any camps will be happening at the earliest in August....maybe later.
Spin the roulette wheel for any futures dates for anything. Will the restrictions be a graduated type in which large gatherings
be last (maybe with face masks)?
I guess with the draft over MM main focus now is getting a head coach. Getting resumes isn't an issue but wonder what is the first legal date in which you can actually talk with someone who has a contract now but will be expiring?? I know teams usually don't hold back a person from getting a promotion, but would it be a promotion to go from being an asst-coach in the AHL to being a head-coach in the OHL?

Last edited:
Reactions: bobber

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
There likely won’t be one. Not a big deal. There was a time when spring rookie camps didn’t happen.
I suspect the rookie camps are more for giving a sales pitch to the draft picks!
IMHO unless a player really is a bad apple and it shows up in camp it usually doesn't play much into the players OHL future.

A big question I have for getting players, is what does this virus and it's unknown timeframe and travel restrictions between Canada and USA will have in players going to the states to play in the USHL or them coming north. Would parents want their sons being that distance from home?

(Too much time on my hands today)

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven
Mar 12, 2009
Pretty sad when we base our picks on what London does or does not do. I suppose it is a testament to them and their scouting team. But would it not be a better idea to develop our own scouts and perhaps use the Knights model?

In a personal way, I hope something was concocted to bring Fantilli our way either this year or next at the very least. Not because he would be such a huge addition, though he would be, but it might hint that MM is a genius and possibly an up and coming, dare I say, Mark Hunter.
I don't think MM does this, it's an assumption made by some here who have a "little brother" complex going with regard to London.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
MM is not trying to block every move the Knights want to make. he should be unemployed if all his picks were just in spite of the London Knights.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Sorry guys, my comment was meant as sarcasm and a bit of tongue in cheek. First paragraph, anyway. As for the closing, I think we have a diamond in MM and I am glad we have him locked up for another few years.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
another pick that was sort of overlooked yesterday was Kai Dunits in the 6th round. he plays in the same U18 league as Jackson Parsons and scored close to the same amount of points as 1st round picks Cedrick Guindon and Ben Bujold. outscored the Knights 2nd rounder Colton Smith too. a little on the small side at 5'9 140 pounds but that's 10 pounds heavier than Joseph Serpa was when he got picked. definitely someone to keep an eye on.

there is going to be a lot of competition in the coming years for roster spots. as of today, the entirety of next years forward group can play in 2021-22 as well. the only one I don't see is Graham Dickerson because I think they'll upgrade their OAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billyjack

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

To be clear, I firmly believe that MM had his sights set on the Lebrancs....and if you watch the kids' videos, the Rangers were absolutely on their list. No "little brother" complex here, Torgo.

Mar 12, 2009
To be clear, I firmly believe that MM had his sights set on the Lebrancs....and if you watch the kids' videos, the Rangers were absolutely on their list. No "little brother" complex here, Torgo.
if you read it in context, my comment about the little brother complex is for people who actually think MM/our scouts would have picked them just because their was a rumor London would.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
if you read it in context, my comment about the little brother complex is for people who actually think MM/our scouts would have picked them just because their was a rumor London would.
MM basically said the twins wanted to stay together. Parents may have made that a stipulation for the draft. If so this might of limited the number of teams willing to draft the brothers. MM said both are talented but that's for another day.

Reactions: Torgo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad