Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Taking a flyer after locking down 4 other picks. Not bad, hopefully we see him in a few years as online it seems he will be going to the program.

I wonder if the fact we didn’t take an NCAA flyer with any of our third round picks means that MM is gun shy because of Roman Schmidt? Is that a sign that Roman Schmidt’s not coming? Vukojevic came and if we thought Schmidt was coming for sure, maybe we would’ve taken a higher end NCAA commit with one of those third round picks? Just wondering?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think they just weigh the sure thing vs the potential of one these high end americans reporting. I feel like we have done a solid base thus far in the draft. Totally in favour of taking some bigger swings the rest of the draft.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I don't see anything specific here. If you are going by the list of teams played on and him showing on US National U17 for 2020-21, let me assure you that this site tries to predict these things wherever the player is undecided. Now if we can dig up that tweet?............

elite prospects only puts them down once confirmed

2020-21 U.S. National Under-17 Team Announced

here’s the official release from the USDP

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
in a rebuild year, I personally would want 4 16 year olds to be in Kitchener. MM secured that with the first 4 picks and took a flyer on an American for down the road.

in the past few years, McKenzie has put this team in a position where they can retool rather than rebuild and compete almost every other year. 2017-18, 2019-20, 2021-22, and potentially again in 2022-23 (Pinelli, Motew, LeBlancs, Gauthier, Parsons, Schmidt)

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
in a rebuild year, I personally would want 4 16 year olds to be in Kitchener. MM secured that with the first 4 picks and took a flyer on an American for down the road.

in the past few years, McKenzie has put this team in a position where they can retool rather than rebuild and compete almost every other year. 2017-18, 2019-20, 2021-22, and potentially again in 2022-23 (Pinelli, Motew, LeBlancs, Gauthier, Parsons, Schmidt)

So you see all three Admirals and the goalie on the team this year?
Goalie was playing U18 already, could at least be our backup.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

I see A. LeBlanc and Swick for sure. naturally, I think the brother comes along. he should get in some games but might be with one of the Jr. B teams. as you mentioned, Parsons played in a league with U18s (the same one Donovan Sebrango played in) and was a monster, so he is probably a bit ahead of most of the goalies his age.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Absolutely. I think so. In a rebuilding year, we have the time and minutes to allow these guys to develop.

I believe a 16-year-old G getting 20-25 starts and practicing with the big team all year could set him up pretty nice as a young starter in 21-22. Now we just get a 19-year-old on the cheap to share the duties with him this season, or have one of our already drafted goalies commit and we’re all set.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
It sounds like the LeBlanc’s have already signed. I believe they are identical twins as well because I can’t tell the difference between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelKRangers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

A few years ago I talked to a scout of a visiting OHL team at the Aud. During our discussion, I questioned the logic of having a 16-year-old goaltender on the roster of an OHL team when he’s only going to get 20 starts that season at the most. I figured that it would be better off to have him at a lower level playing a ton more games.

The scout replied to me that a goalie in that situation, especially a higher end one, will see a lot more ice at the OHL level in practice alone. Not only that, but when you consider he’ll face OHL calibre shots during practice and in the few games he’ll play, it’s a lot better way to develop then playing a ton of games at a lower level against subpar competition getting a lot less practice time. It could stunt his development, so to speak.

Made a hell of a lot of sense to me! Here’s hoping Parsons is on this roster this year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not sure where you get that they are signed. They're just happy to be selected. Signing does not happen that quickly, especially with what's going on.

Pinelli was happy to be selected here too. Look how long it took us to get his name on paper.

That being said, I doubt there will be an issue getting these guys signed.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
as is for most things right now, it might be a bit until they can sign. either that or it will all be done from their homes and the paperwork will all be faxed to the players

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Brock Otten in Twitter:
Kitchener selection Nathan Lewis is a player that I've tweeted about a few times. Linemate of Rutger McGroarty with Oakland. Really smart player. Hope they can get him to commit. #OHLDraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad