Sop - 18

Xhekaj OA - Sebrango 19
Motew 18 - Import 18 or 19
LeBlanc 17 - Trade OA

Starter - imo we are going to have to trade for one 19
Back up - Parsons 17

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
well at least the import draft will be a little more exciting, hopefully we can find an impact player or two the same ages as Pinelli/Sebrango.

ottaveinen has talent, I think he really struggled adapting to the smaller ice and once we was clearly behind Sebrango and Xhekaj he was getting 7th man minutes, and I didn’t really see a way next year he would get more then 3rd pair.

let’s just hope McKenzie was prepared for losing both imports

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not totally surprised either. 7D. Bringing in Wale. As was said, 7th D minutes.

Especially the Virus.
And I was going to post this morning my optimism regarding imports coming here next year after hearing of the signing Sudbury just made.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
updated 2021-22 roster

2021-22 roster
Valade 19 - Pinelli 18 - Import 18 or 19
Langdon 19 - Petizian OA - McDonnell 19
Martin 18 - Leblanc 17 - Serpa 19
Swick 17 - 2021 1st 16 - Fishman 18
Sop - 18

Xhekaj OA - Sebrango 19
Motew 18 - Import 18 or 19
LeBlanc 17 - Trade OA

Starter - imo we are going to have to trade for one 19
Back up - Parsons 17

Draft or trade for an import goalie?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
kind of upset to see Ville gone. but that makes this years import draft super interesting. he must not have been happy being the 7th D all season. can’t blame him but that’s the way she goes sometimes

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
kind of upset to see Ville gone. but that makes this years import draft super interesting. he must not have been happy being the 7th D all season. can’t blame him but that’s the way she goes sometimes

...and the fact if we go with two OA D, likely 5th on the depth chart.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Especially the Virus.
And I was going to post this morning my optimism regarding imports coming here next year after hearing of the signing Sudbury just made.

Not a “dooms day” sort of person but I think this outbreak will change the way things are looked at in the future. Not just in hockey in business I can see the “virtual meeting” utilized a lot more. How many parents may elect to keep their 17 year old son closer to home rather then send him half a world away to play hockey? Changes are inevitable I would guess?

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

sounds like it’s just a backup plan in case of the risk still being high come August

Which means we don’t get to draft a second import player at the draft. So we could possibly get screwed out of his services and the services of a second import player.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
He’s coming back as long as the issue at hand is resolved. At least he’s been clear with McKenzie and communicated this all in April not in August.
Joey G was clear in April but not August. European camps start before North American ones and I fear that Ville will start camp with his Liiga team and not want to leave.

on the other hand, I don’t think he’s ready for Finnish pro hockey, so a lack of ice time (or not even making the team) may deter him back to Kitchener

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Joey G was clear in April but not August. European camps start before North American ones and I fear that Ville will start camp with his Liiga team and not want to leave.

on the other hand, I don’t think he’s ready for Finnish pro hockey, so a lack of ice time (or not even making the team) may deter him back to Kitchener

Or he might just up his game enough in Europe to come back and take a top 4 position in Kitchener? We is the better D teacher.........Wideman or ???????

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
European camps start before North American ones and I fear that Ville will start camp with his Liiga team and not want to leave.

The important date is not when European camps start but rather when North American ones are cleared to go ahead. Presumably we'll have a call on that well before late August. As long as Kitchener's season is a go and flights are moving, he'll be here. If those issues aren't cleared up by Day 1 of Liiga camp, then it's likely not happening for him here this year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The important date is not when European camps start but rather when North American ones are cleared to go ahead. Presumably we'll have a call on that well before late August. As long as Kitchener's season is a go and flights are moving, he'll be here. If those issues aren't cleared up by Day 1 of Liiga camp, then it's likely not happening for him here this year.

Perhaps in light of the current situation, the CHL could make a temporary ammendment to the import rules where teams in a position like ours with Ottavainen can draft a second import player in the draft in the event a player like Ottavainen doesn’t get back into our lineup.

Sort of like the current rule regarding NHL drafted players.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Or he might just up his game enough in Europe to come back and take a top 4 position in Kitchener? We is the better D teacher.........Wideman or ???????

realistically, he should be a top 4 dman either way. Bergkvist is already gone and Vukojevic shouldn't be too far behind. depending on the new coach, he could very well be ahead of Motew and Wale in terms of ice time as well.

the thing that I think will hurt Ville's ice time is special teams because of his lack of an identity as a player. he obviously won't be quarterbacking the powerplay and I'd put Xhekaj, Sebrango, MacPherson, Wale and Vukojevic on the PK ahead of him.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
realistically, he should be a top 4 dman either way. Bergkvist is already gone and Vukojevic shouldn't be too far behind. depending on the new coach, he could very well be ahead of Motew and Wale in terms of ice time as well.

the thing that I think will hurt Ville's ice time is special teams because of his lack of an identity as a player. he obviously won't be quarterbacking the powerplay and I'd put Xhekaj, Sebrango, MacPherson, Wale and Vukojevic on the PK ahead of him.

Should Ottavainen play here next year, for me he’s behind the two OA’s, Xhekaj and Sebrango once Vukojevic is dealt.

But, we’re rebuilding. So IMO, with 21-22 in mind, that pushes him ahead of the OA’s. Therefore, my top four next year should he play here is one of the OA’s, Sebrango, Xhekaj and Ottavainen. I play the crap out of them. Motew and Leblanc round out the D.

I may attempt to bring in a depth veteran who could be an option for 21-22.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Should Ottavainen play here next year, for me he’s behind the two OA’s, Xhekaj and Sebrango once Vukojevic is dealt.

But, we’re rebuilding. So IMO, with 21-22 in mind, that pushes him ahead of the OA’s. Therefore, my top four next year should he play here is one of the OA’s, Sebrango, Xhekaj and Ottavainen. I play the crap out of them. Motew and Leblanc round out the D.

I may attempt to bring in a depth veteran who could be an option for 21-22.
And that playing for Ottavainen includes firing from the point in what is hopefully a much better PP system than last season. Ville has a heck of a shot and it should be at the very least, tested in the PP.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Any chance Berqvist returns? Still unsigned by Arizona

I wouldn’t use up an OA spot on an import. Also, it would take away valuable development minutes from the younger D.

If he isn’t signed to an entry level deal, I’m betting Bergqvist plays pro in Europe for better $$ than playing an OA season.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Any chance Berqvist returns? Still unsigned by Arizona

Very slim chance. He is an OA and an import. I’d be very interested to see a list over the past 10 years on players that have played in the ohl being both. I’m guessing it’s single digits.

Reactions: EvenSteven

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Albert Michnac
Mikkel Aagaard
Markus Soberg
Mads Eller
Sam Babintsev
Nickolas Latta
Matthias Niederberger
Michal Cajkovsky
Simon Gronvaldt