Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
He was solid. Mostly mistake free, good puck movement, got some pucks on net. He was pretty physical, throwing some hits and using his body to effectively seperate opposing players from the puck. Stepped up and absolutely leveled a Russian player at the offensive blue line.
And to add...his positioning was generally spot on and was often put out there in key defensive moments which spoke to the coaching staff's view of him. He didn't back off and wasn't phased from chirping...even in Russian...he just smiled back and commented. He wasn't flashy but he was effective. Looking forward to his play with the Rangers this season.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
He was solid. Mostly mistake free, good puck movement, got some pucks on net. He was pretty physical, throwing some hits and using his body to effectively seperate opposing players from the puck. Stepped up and absolutely leveled a Russian player at the offensive blue line.

I love his grit. Not afraid of anyone.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
MOTEW....great news for the Rangers so far......

SALZBURG, Austria – The U.S. Under-17 Men's Select Team defeated the Red Bull Academy Under-18 Team, 7-1, in an exhibition friendly ahead of the 2019 Five Nations Tournament today at the RBS Akademie. Simon Motew (Highland Park, Ill.) notched a pair of goals in the victory.

First game today against Slovakia.....USA won 9-3. Motew had an assist. You follow next games at:

U17 | 5-Nationscup - GAMEPITCH Sports Portal

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
MOTEW....great news for the Rangers so far......

SALZBURG, Austria – The U.S. Under-17 Men's Select Team defeated the Red Bull Academy Under-18 Team, 7-1, in an exhibition friendly ahead of the 2019 Five Nations Tournament today at the RBS Akademie. Simon Motew (Highland Park, Ill.) notched a pair of goals in the victory.

First game today against Slovakia.....USA won 9-3. Motew had an assist. You follow next games at:

U17 | 5-Nationscup - GAMEPITCH Sports Portal

exciting. gonna be a competitive camp for spots on the blue line. nice knowing going into the camp that not everyone has a guaranteed spot and that the team will be picked right out of training camp

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
exciting. gonna be a competitive camp for spots on the blue line. nice knowing going into the camp that not everyone has a guaranteed spot and that the team will be picked right out of training camp

Camp should be competitive. And there will be a job or two up for grabs team wide. But I am pretty sure the defence should be just about set.

Vukojovic
MacPherson
Sebrango
Bergkvist
Xhekaj
Ottavainen
Motew

Unless there's a trade or surprise FA signing, those seven should be locks to start the season.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Camp should be competitive. And there will be a job or two up for grabs team wide. But I am pretty sure the defence should be just about set.

Vukojovic
MacPherson
Sebrango
Bergkvist
Xhekaj
Ottavainen
Motew

Unless there's a trade or surprise FA signing, those seven should be locks to start the season.

definitely. it’s reassuring that there’s 7 that are all capable of being in the lineup, assuming Xhekaj isn’t a rover again. bottom pairing guys will have to have an extra jump in their step or they’ll be getting used to the popcorn in the press box

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Any one wanna predict roSter?

as of now I’d guess:

Petizian-Meireles-Yantsis
Garreffa-Damiani-Stepien
Pinelli-Langdon-Valade
Dickerson-McDonnell-Serpa

Vukojevic-Sebrango
MacPherson-Ottavainen
Xhekaj-Bergkvist
Motew

Ingham
Pfeil

doesn’t account for free agent invites to camp and a potential trade for another winger. I’d expect that 4th left wing spot to be filled by someone else come September

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
definitely. it’s reassuring that there’s 7 that are all capable of being in the lineup, assuming Xhekaj isn’t a rover again. bottom pairing guys will have to have an extra jump in their step or they’ll be getting used to the popcorn in the press box

As far as I'm concerned, I believe the only reason is that Xhekaj was put on the wing last year was because of injuries, and to give Rupoli minutes on the backend as a kind of audition to see what we have in that asset.

In Xhekaj, I see a player who can be a Frank Hora type player by the time he goes into his overage season.

As I said earlier on, I see Xhekaj, Ottavainen, and Motew, sharing up the minutes available on the bottom pairing. There's about 136 man games available on the bottom pairing. I see those three guys getting around 45 games each alotted to them. As the season wears on, they will decide themselves by their play who will get more games.

Mar 12, 2009
If McDonnel comes as advertised, I can see someone being moved. Unless grades were an issue, it's not likely he decommitted to be a depth player. Him committing puts pressure on a guy like Stepien to prove he's a top 6 caliber player next season, or at least significantly better than McDonnel to earn top 9 minutes over him. Going to be some tough decisions either way, and especially if anyone else in that bottom 6 performs at a high level.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If McDonnel comes as advertised, I can see someone being moved. Unless grades were an issue, it's not likely he decommitted to be a depth player. Him committing puts pressure on a guy like Stepien to prove he's a top 6 caliber player next season, or at least significantly better than McDonnel to earn top 9 minutes over him. Going to be some tough decisions either way, and especially if anyone else in that bottom 6 performs at a high level.

The Rangers have six centres who'll likely be on the roster on opening night. (No particular order)
Langdon
MacDonnell
Serpa
Pinelli
Damiani
Meireles

For McDonnell, or Pinelli for that matter, to play their way up the lineup, they'll have to unseat highly touted returning players or play out of position.

As I see it, even though Meireles has spent time on the right side, no way I split up he and RW Yantsis as line mates. They have to do everything possible to allow Yantsis every opportunity to repeat his output from last year. That starts and ends playing with Meireles as his centre. Nobody is bumping Damiani out of the centre position.

That leaves Langdon, MacDonnell and Pinelli to occupy the other two spots down the middle. (I see Serpa playing 4th line wing period).

Can either rookie bump Langdon out of the third line centre spot. I'm not so sure. But even if one does, one will still be centering the 4th line - a line that neither (according to some on here) signed on to do. Don't forget, Langdon, like McDonnell, also left an NCAA committee to come here. Did he do so to play out of position or 4th line in his NHL draft year?

I don't see one of these guys forcing out a centre from the top six. I do see at least one playing out of position.

As far as Stepien goes, I think the only way he's traded is to make way for a high end veteran winger to play on the top six. I compare the top six spot Stepien occupies to the top four spot MacPherson occupies on D. MacPherson, a safe, serviceable player who occupies a spot that could be improved upon at the deadline should we decide to trade for a higher end D. (No disrespect to MacPherson but Vallati would look nice in our top four this year).

The way I see it today, and of course it could change, is Meireles, Damiani, Langdon and Pinelli playing down the middle with MacDonnell occupying a spot on the wing among the bottom six.

My lineup on opening night:
Petizian/Meireles/Yantsis
Garreffa/Damiani/Stepien
MacDonnell/Langdon/Valade
Serpa/Pinelli/Dickerson

I see a top six winger acquired by the deadline who'll bump Petizian down to the 3rd line, MacDonnell down to the 4th and Dickerson out of the top 12. That would be 4 strong lines IMO.

But there's a lot of hockey to be played so of course, anything could happen.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
On Stepien:

I see a player, 41st overall in the OHL draft, who may have some big upside. However, his point totals thus far as a Ranger don't reflect that. The 10 goals as a 16-year-old on a middling team was impressive. But last year's point totals after coming to Kitchener were less than I would have thought they would've been based on his 16-year-old season.

I believe that before we trade this player, if that is in the cards, I'd like to see him get his point totals up so that we can get full value. The last thing we need to do is move him when his value is less than it was when we acquired him.

That being said, I still see him as a possible valuable piece should he get those point totals up. Not only this season, but in two years when we would be ready to contend again, he could prove to be a valuable overager on this team.

Reactions: OhSheila

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
judging by all the guys we’re talking about trading, this past year wasn’t great in terms of the trades. gave up 2 3rds for Lipanov, who put up 30 points. you can get a 30 point centre for much less than that especially if he’s only going to be here for a season. then the Stepien deal. would much rather still have York at this point who could likely bring in a better return plus 2 3rds for Lipanov that wasn’t ideal. not having Lipanov wouldn’t have made much of a difference, Langdon could’ve finished in the top 9 and they would’ve had a higher 1st in which they still probably would’ve gotten Pinelli. the Rupoli trade is sort of a wash as he was traded for a 10th.

but what this could’ve been is- 2 3rds, a 10th and a 2000-born right handed D who put up 30 points this season

and what it is- a right winger who’s scored at the same pace for the first 2 seasons of his career and our 8th d man

these trades might’ve looked beneficial at the time however. at this point, no one was expecting them to be anything until 2020-21. I still would’ve taken York over Stepien if that was the case. York would be an OA right shot D who’s been on a playoff run already. we don’t know what Stepien would be which is I guess the risk taken. the Lipanov trade was premature due to the hot start

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The Rangers have six centres who'll likely be on the roster on opening night. (No particular order)
Langdon
MacDonnell
Serpa
Pinelli
Damiani
Meireles

For McDonnell, or Pinelli for that matter, to play their way up the lineup, they'll have to unseat highly touted returning players or play out of position.

As I see it, even though Meireles has spent time on the right side, no way I split up he and RW Yantsis as line mates. They have to do everything possible to allow Yantsis every opportunity to repeat his output from last year. That starts and ends playing with Meireles as his centre. Nobody is bumping Damiani out of the centre position.

That leaves Langdon, MacDonnell and Pinelli to occupy the other two spots down the middle. (I see Serpa playing 4th line wing period).

Can either rookie bump Langdon out of the third line centre spot. I'm not so sure. But even if one does, one will still be centering the 4th line - a line that neither (according to some on here) signed on to do. Don't forget, Langdon, like McDonnell, also left an NCAA committee to come here. Did he do so to play out of position or 4th line in his NHL draft year?

I don't see one of these guys forcing out a centre from the top six. I do see at least one playing out of position.

As far as Stepien goes, I think the only way he's traded is to make way for a high end veteran winger to play on the top six. I compare the top six spot Stepien occupies to the top four spot MacPherson occupies on D. MacPherson, a safe, serviceable player who occupies a spot that could be improved upon at the deadline should we decide to trade for a higher end D. (No disrespect to MacPherson but Vallati would look nice in our top four this year).

The way I see it today, and of course it could change, is Meireles, Damiani, Langdon and Pinelli playing down the middle with MacDonnell occupying a spot on the wing among the bottom six.

My lineup on opening night:
Petizian/Meireles/Yantsis
Garreffa/Damiani/Stepien
MacDonnell/Langdon/Valade
Serpa/Pinelli/Dickerson

I see a top six winger acquired by the deadline who'll bump Petizian down to the 3rd line, MacDonnell down to the 4th and Dickerson out of the top 12. That would be 4 strong lines IMO.

But there's a lot of hockey to be played so of course, anything could happen.

I do see pressure on Stepien and Petizian to perform up on those two lines and if not, Valade would move up into the top 6. He really came to life in the latter part of the season and while the goals didn't always come his way, his 2-way play and intensity was there in spades. Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this.

And we haven't see a talent like Pinelli in a while so I have a feeling that he won't be on the 4th line for long.

Stats from last season:

STEPIEN
GPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGFOW
5681422-41220897
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PETIZIAN
5961117-1529006540
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
VALADE
6251520-1729308416
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Going to be more competitive within the ranks to play this season. No doubt.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I do see pressure on Stepien and Petizian to perform up on those two lines and if not, Valade would move up into the top 6. He really came to life in the latter part of the season and while the goals didn't always come his way, his 2-way play and intensity was there in spades. Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this.

And we haven't see a talent like Pinelli in a while so I have a feeling that he won't be on the 4th line for long.

Stats from last season:

STEPIEN
5681422-41220897
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PETIZIAN
5961117-1529006540
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
VALADE
6251520-1729308416
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Going to be more competitive within the ranks to play this season. No doubt.

Valade really turned it on in the 2nd half. after 34 games (he missed 6, so 28) he had 4 points. the next 34 he had 16. if he can keep building on that he will be looking at 40-50 points this season. he obviously shows more upside but I think those 2 are kept up there as a gritty/two-way presence. sort of Mike Babcock style coaching. Damiani and Meireles can handle themselves defensively and Valade deserves to start the season above either of them

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Valade really turned it on in the 2nd half. after 34 games (he missed 6, so 28) he had 4 points. the next 34 he had 16. if he can keep building on that he will be looking at 40-50 points this season. he obviously shows more upside but I think those 2 are kept up there as a gritty/two-way presence. sort of Mike Babcock style coaching. Damiani and Meireles can handle themselves defensively and Valade deserves to start the season above either of them

I see the four lines, as the roster stands now, as being four duos plus a third.

Meireles/Yantsis
Damiani/Garreffa
Langdon/Valade
MacDonnell/Pinelli

Slot the four thirds (Stepien, Petizian, Serpa, Dickerson) where you will.

That makes for four strong lines - especially if we do deal for a high end winger who'd bump Dickerson out of the top 12.

If MacDonnell and Pinelli are as talented as advertised, that would be a talented, strong fourth line. On contenders, fourth lines often are made up of older players. Teams that stack up usually have veterans among the bottom six. If these guys can be strong enough playing on the fourth line to allow us to not have to trade for depth vets, I think that would be huge since we do not have a ton of assets with which to play with.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoBlue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Valade and Langdon have some work to do.
Just one person's opinion who readily admitted (more than once in the article) that he really doesn't have a good handle on the rest of the CHL because of his Western focus. Lots of scouts during Rangers games so its up to prospects like Valade and Langdon to have a great season and show what they can do.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad