New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
His rosters also deteriorated significantly. A decline in team performance was expected.
In the first four years they had point percentages of .651 .662 .563 .665 but there underlying numbers weren’t good the 5 on 5 numbers were on a steady decline after year

In a loaded division

Despite those point totals they were usually in the 15-20 rank of xgf

Below 50 percent in scoring chances and high danger chances.

I don’t think he’s a good coach tbh

Reactions: Guadana

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
And Green lol, thanks again Ottawa!

They also leaked their interest in Keefe but the body isn't even cold yet so I doubt they've interviewed him atm

Yes…thank you, Ottawa!! What a dysfunctional organization. Green was awful as HC in Vancouver and whereas most teams get a bump with a coaching change, we didn’t. What exactly has this chump done to deserve another HC gig? Oh well, he’s not our problem anymore!!

Reactions: Guadana

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I’d be content with any one of Sullivan, Keefe, Woodcroft, and Berube, in that order of preference

Sullivan and Keefe have a track record of having success with skilled offensive teams. Same goes for Woodcroft, but I do wonder how much of that is Draisaitl/McDavid being ridiculous.

I wouldn’t hate Berube, but I’m skeptical if he can get the most of this group.

Really intrigued by Carle, but don’t think he’s the right coach for this team right now. Maybe in 2-3 years when the team is more experienced, but he’d probably be snatched up by then.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In the first four years they had point percentages of .651 .662 .563 .665 but there underlying numbers weren’t good the 5 on 5 numbers were on a steady decline after year

In a loaded division

Despite those point totals they were usually in the 15-20 rank of xgf

Below 50 percent in scoring chances and high danger chances.

I don’t think he’s a good coach tbh
When he took over in their SCF-winning season, he was at 54% xG for the season. In 2019-20 bubble season, they were about 51% (and again, this roster was depleted from their Cup-winning run).

His job after that was to maintain a competitive team while transitioning to the Thomas/Kyrou/Buch core, and with a piss-poor blueline behind them. The shot-based metrics declined, but they still remained a competitive team because Berube completely overhauled how they play in such a way to outperform their underlying metrics.

As I said before, During the Thomas era, Berube completely altered the Blues' attack to focus on more efficient scoring chance generation. They leaned much more into high-danger passing and rush chances, vs. the safer forecheck + OZP style of the Cup-winning team. I suspect he knew he had to do this because the roster he was given at that point was never going to "outplay" their opponents from the perspective of xG or shot-based metrics.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'd be down with keefe or woodcroft.... I see it possible to have success with our roster core.

Keefe's roster in Tor wasn't that much different. Good forward core, below average defense, spotty goaltending.

We have better forward and D core and probably will get avg goaltending next season.

I don't have a good feeling about berube, just gut feeling and I don't think Sullivan is available. Woodcroft I don't know as much about either but I could roll with it given we had an uptempo forward core.

Last edited:

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I’d be content with any one of Sullivan, Keefe, Woodcroft, and Berube, in that order of preference

Sullivan and Keefe have a track record of having success with skilled offensive teams. Same goes for Woodcroft, but I do wonder how much of that is Draisaitl/McDavid being ridiculous.

I wouldn’t hate Berube, but I’m skeptical if he can get the most of this group.

Really intrigued by Carle, but don’t think he’s the right coach for this team right now. Maybe in 2-3 years when the team is more experienced, but he’d probably be snatched up by then.
Woodcroft really increased their numbers once Tippett was fired

Their numbers stayed the same once he got fired tho

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
IMG_2172.png

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Why is everyone saying Sullivan? He hasn't even been f***ing fired yet.

Mainly because people expected Keefe to get fired, Keefe to become HC of the Pens with a mutual parting of the ways for Pitt / Sullivan, and then Fitz to hire Sullivan.

Whether or not that is pie in the sky thinking or something that can or may actually happen, we will see. The first part of that domino fell though. We'll see how that shakes out from here.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Considering keefe got fired today and dubas and keefe are tight it’s leading to speculation that dubas may dump Sullivan for keefe here shortly

But what will motivate keefe to come to a team that is about to hit rock bottom? (Pittsburgh)

It's asking for trouble and ruin your coaching record on an aging, dead, veteran squad without a lot of future depth.

No need to ruin your mid-career if there are better teams out there... Those jobs are for the up and commers or guys out of options but willing to take anything.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
But what will motivate keefe to come to a team that is about to hit rock bottom?

It's asking for trouble and ruin your coaching record on and aging, dead veteran squad without a lot of future depth.

No need to ruin your mid-career if there are better teams out there... Those jobs are for the up and commers or guys out of options but willing to take anything.
It depends on how strong the relationship is between Keefe and Dubas. I think some people assume that its kind of a Lou/Lemaire thing where he's going to do his "old buddy" a favor and go to Pittsburgh.

Reactions: My3Sons

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It depends on how strong the relationship is between Keefe and Dubas. I think some people assume that its kind of a Lou/Lemaire thing where he's going to do his "old buddy" a favor and go to Pittsburgh.

I guess if he is "guaranteed" a good set of years ahead... Yeah I suppose.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Pens need winning. Or rebuild. Keefe isn't famous for winning and he is too good for rebuild.
Keefe isn't famous for winning ? Won at every level prior to getting to the NHL and has a insane regular season record in Toronto. It's on the roster construction ( mainly the hole Dubas put Toronto in ) not saying Keefe is some messiah or anything but the guy is more than capable

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Keefe isn't famous for winning ? Won at every level prior to getting to the NHL and has a insane regular season record in Toronto. It's on the roster construction ( mainly the hole Dubas put Toronto in ) not saying Keefe is some messiah or anything but the guy is more than capable
I agree. But in the popular media is looking at him coach as First round looser. Its not a good profile for last days of Crosby and Malkin.

I woukd like to sign him.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
When it comes to teams, my bias opinion is the Devils are better than the top heavy teams, like Toronto, and Edmonton.

When 60% of your teams’ salary is wrapped up on 4 guys, and those guys are no-shows during the playoffs, good luck winning.
making the playoffs in a first place would be helpful.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Friedman on 32 Thoughts today said he believes the Devils are deciding between Berube, Woodcroft and “possibly” McClellan.

He also thinks the top two on Toronto's list are Berube and McClellan and that Keefe would be most interested in LA (due to lifestyle/weather/media situation).

Last edited:

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Friedman on 32 Thoughts today said he believes the Devils are deciding between Berube, Woodcroft and McClellan.

He also thinks the top two on Toronto's list are Berube and McClellan and that Keefe would be most interested in LA (due to lifestyle/weather/media situation).

If that’s the case, Woodcroft please.

Reactions: longislanddevil

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
So Keefe may not even be in the mix? That sucks.

At this rate Brindamour might wind up being available, but I’m souring on him. One too many playoff flops for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad