Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Article on goalie Colin Purchell.......lots of choices.....will he be at Rangers camp?

If he's at our camp (again) it's a very good sign. A UMASS commitment would be tough to break, especially as a goalie. Still, if he's not a heavy academic, is aspiring to play pro and wants to play with a strong mentor on a good team for a season or two, the Rangers should be an attractive option vs another year of ? then warming bench for a year (or three) behind the typically stacked roster of 20+ year old Gs @ UMASS. Hope we've tried hard to get him here.

105) Ville Ottavainen (RD, Finland, Kitchener OHL)
106) Donovan Sebrango (LD, Canada, Kitchener OHL)

That Ville ranks higher than DV, a guy many have at least seen, sort of suggests they're simply picking randoms that far out.

Valade and Langdon have some work to do.

Big time, though Valade started to elevate at the tail end of 2018-19 and always had presence as many noted, esp. the night against OS were he had 2ppg (Yantsis' 50th night).

Slot the four thirds (Stepien, Petizian, Serpa, Dickerson) where you will.

Agreed but Serpa & Dickerson will really need to shine ... starting at camp. We will need some size up front which is a consideration too.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
MOTEW scores a goal in the 3rd in the USA's 5-2 win over Switzerland.

VIDEO at the bottom of this. Love the way he steps right up and carries it to the net rather blasting from the blue line.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven and K2

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
really hoping another forward can come in and crack the lineup at camp. even if there may be a trade coming for another winger, it may be later and McDonnell or Pinelli (or whoever plays the 4th line) shouldn’t be stuck in the Isaac Langdon spot last season with no help. a decent upgrade to Dickerson could make a solid 4th line.

Zane Dalpe was at spring camp in April. had 38 points in 47 Jr. B games. was one of the top players in the Alliance the year before. was supposed to be a high pick but eventually went undrafted (concerning). commit to Navan Grads in the CCHL but I’m sure an offer from the Kitchener Rangers could change his mind.

Alex Farmer put up quite a few points at spring camp and had 40 in 27 in the USPHL this season. 4 points in 5 games a the USA Hlinka Camp this summer as well. no commitment for next season on elite prospects.

lastly, one of the 4th rounders Mitch Martin is a 6’3 left wing who put up 33 points in 23 games this season in minor midget. commit to a team in the NOJHL and probably needs this year to get a bit stronger.

I feel like all 3 could be an upgrade to Dickerson, maybe even Serpa

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
really hoping another forward can come in and crack the lineup at camp. even if there may be a trade coming for another winger, it may be later and McDonnell or Pinelli (or whoever plays the 4th line) shouldn’t be stuck in the Isaac Langdon spot last season with no help. a decent upgrade to Dickerson could make a solid 4th line.

Zane Dalpe was at spring camp in April. had 38 points in 47 Jr. B games. was one of the top players in the Alliance the year before. was supposed to be a high pick but eventually went undrafted (concerning). commit to Navan Grads in the CCHL but I’m sure an offer from the Kitchener Rangers could change his mind.

Alex Farmer put up quite a few points at spring camp and had 40 in 27 in the USPHL this season. 4 points in 5 games a the USA Hlinka Camp this summer as well. no commitment for next season on elite prospects.

lastly, one of the 4th rounders Mitch Martin is a 6’3 left wing who put up 33 points in 23 games this season in minor midget. commit to a team in the NOJHL and probably needs this year to get a bit stronger.

I feel like all 3 could be an upgrade to Dickerson, maybe even Serpa

I'm a fan of Serpa and looking forward to his play. WILL there be someone at camp that will surprise and earn a place on the team. Going to be tough considering the lack of spots.

Farmer has his own website...lots of info and some vids...
https://www.alexfarmerhockey.com/

And please note that Sarnia is interested:
Sarnia Sting (OHL) Spring Camp (April 2019)
Alex invited to attend Main Camp (August 2019)
Kitchener Rangers (OHL) Spring Camp (April 2019)
(3 goals and 1 assist in 3 games to lead Team White

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I'm a fan of Serpa and looking forward to his play. WILL there be someone at camp that will surprise and earn a place on the team. Going to be tough considering the lack of spots.

Farmer has his own website...lots of info and some vids...
https://www.alexfarmerhockey.com/

And please note that Sarnia is interested:
Sarnia Sting (OHL) Spring Camp (April 2019)
Alex invited to attend Main Camp (August 2019)
Kitchener Rangers (OHL) Spring Camp (April 2019)
(3 goals and 1 assist in 3 games to lead Team White

looks like he'll be at Sarnia camp then. hopefully they can round out the forwards with 1 more guy before *hopefully* making some big trades

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
After being blown out by the Czechs, USA rebounds to defeat Germany 7-3. Motew assisted on the game winning goal giving him a total of 1 goal and 2 assists over the 4 game Under 17 5 Nations Cup. Next stop.......Kitchener Rangers!

Reactions: robertmac43

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
If we are going all in and are looking for a player on a bargain, Ryan Merkley. His attitude probably brings his value down and helps round out the defence. I believe it would look something like Rupoli, 2nd and 2x3rds.

Our d-core would look like,

Vuks-Axel
Merkley-Macpherson
Sebrango-Ville
With Xhekaj rotating in with who ever needs an off day.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If we are going all in and are looking for a player on a bargain, Ryan Merkley. His attitude probably brings his value down and helps round out the defence. I believe it would look something like Rupoli, 2nd and 2x3rds.

Vuks-Axel
Merkley-Macpherson
Sebrango-Ville

No thank you....even on waivers I wouldn't want him!

K2

Jun 11, 2015
If we are going all in and are looking for a player on a bargain, Ryan Merkley. His attitude probably brings his value down and helps round out the defence. I believe it would look something like Rupoli, 2nd and 2x3rds..

If they're looking to recoup what they paid we'd have to throw in Damiani :help: + high picks and Rupoli which isn't happening. Amazing talent but probably would be poison to our promising D corps and surely too expensive for our taste regardless. Might serve us better going to a rival IMO if he costs them resources and implodes in the playoffs (again).

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Last thing Kitchener needs is Merkley

Most of the leagues top PP from last year returns

Would cost more than Rupoli, 2, 2 thirds

7000 fans aren’t paying to see a circus every Friday night

The Kitchener Record would become thicker

Last edited:
Reactions: K2

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Merkley....hard pass. His defensive play is so bad. When he pinches he is usually the last man back. I don’t mind D pinching but once the scoring chance has happen you better be skating full throttle to get back to help your team.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Vuks-Axel
Merkley-Macpherson
Sebrango-Ville

Ugh! I thought this was a sarcastic post. Um, no thanks.

Mar 12, 2009
Guelph under achieved the first half of the season. The Pete's bad a very hot start to the season and some mentioned them as contenders. Guelph trades Merkley (one of their top point producers) for under market value for a player of that caliber to a team in good position. The Pete's proceed to have a very poor second half, while the Storm gradually become a team (after injured players return to form) and win a championship.
Now, the Pete's who have a strong lineup going into this season, want to trade an elite talent before the season starts. Speaks volumes.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Guelph under achieved the first half of the season. The Pete's bad a very hot start to the season and some mentioned them as contenders. Guelph trades Merkley (one of their top point producers) for under market value for a player of that caliber to a team in good position. The Pete's proceed to have a very poor second half, while the Storm gradually become a team (after injured players return to form) and win a championship.
Now, the Pete's who have a strong lineup going into this season, want to trade an elite talent before the season starts. Speaks volumes.
That line up missed Motew. And frankly, Rangers D looks the best its been in quite a few seasons. If we need anything should Rangers green light to go with it, it will be a stud forward. It only takes one bad apple to ruin team chemistry and then it shows on the ice.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I have to think after having a front row seat to the soap opera that is Ryan Merkley that McKenzie would never even think about it.

I mean, the Rangers are all about class and respect for the organization/teammates. I can’t see the fit with someone who has none. (This may be harsh, but if you’ve watched him more then a couple times then...)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I have to think after having a front row seat to the soap opera that is Ryan Merkley that McKenzie would never even think about it.

I mean, the Rangers are all about class and respect for the organization/teammates. I can’t see the fit with someone who has none. (This may be harsh, but if you’ve watched him more then a couple times then...)

not to mention, defence isn’t a need. Vukojevic, Bergkvist, MacPherson, Sebrango as the top 4. we don’t know what Motew or Ottavainen are gonna be like but there’s a lot of potential there too.

on forward however, especially the left side, there isn’t much past Garreffa. the left/right wing have the depth in Petizian, Stepien, Valade, and probably McDonnell or Pinelli. there’s a bit of up front scoring with Garreffa and Yantsis but another NHL drafted 2000 would go a long way

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
my hopes/wish list for this team to contend would be:

- top 6 left wing/left handed centre (01 or 00. 01 could be used for this year and sold off for assets back next season for a 2022 run)

-bottom 6 winger 2020/21 OA candidate (only ones as of now are Rupoli, Pfeil, MacPherson. don’t see Rupoli or Pfeil sticking for OA years)

Reactions: EvenSteven

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Would not want to touch Merkley. Amazing talent but the off-ice issues are too glaring and I would not want him in the room with the younger players.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016

So basically what EVERYONE on here is saying is that the Rangers will maybe consider a trade for Merkley?! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad