Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I mean, the Rangers are all about class and respect for the organization/teammates. I can’t see the fit with someone who has none. (This may be harsh, but if you’ve watched him more then a couple times then...)

They did trade for one Steve Downie many years ago, but you're right. I don't see MM going this route.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
They did trade for one Steve Downie many years ago, but you're right. I don't see MM going this route.
Funny, the Petes enjoyed some “Steve Downie time” as well before trading him to the Rangers. So really, the precedent has already been set!
The Petes received Yves Bastien and three 2nds for a half year of Downie, so let’s go with Stepien three 2nds and two 3rds for a full year of Merkley. The Petes will throw in a season’s supply of Advil for the coaching staff as well as all STH.
How does that sound?
:D

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Downie was a loose cannon. He walked the line but sometimes went over it. But at the end of the day he was a winner and knew how to win. He had me shaking my head some nights, but I had no problem with him being a Ranger.

If you'll remember, if not for injuries, and to a lesser extent goaltending, we get to the OHL final that year and beyond. Downie was a huge part of that team and certainly not a liability. He was our leader in fact. He put up around 3 points per game in the playoffs here.

The winner of that Plymouth/Kitchener series was destined to win the conference and be the favourite to win the championship.

I take issue with the Merkley / Downie comparison.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Downie was a loose cannon. He walked the line but sometimes went over it. But at the end of the day he was a winner and knew how to win. He had me shaking my head some nights, but I had no problem with him being a Ranger.

If you'll remember, if not for injuries, and to a lesser extent goaltending, we get to the OHL final that year and beyond. Downie was a huge part of that team and certainly not a liability. He was our leader in fact. He put up around 3 points per game in the playoffs here.

The winner of that Plymouth/Kitchener series was destined to win the conference and be the favourite to win the championship.

I agree 100%. Downie pretty much carried the team that year. And I recall he had the flu during the playoffs as well.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
The Petes received Yves Bastien and three 2nds for a half year of Downie, so let’s go with Stepien three 2nds and two 3rds for a full year of Merkley. The Petes will throw in a season’s supply of Advil for the coaching staff as well as all STH.
How does that sound?

If you can get the Knights to take Merkley, we may well hold a Pete's appreciation night at the Aud whenever he plays here :naughty:

Downie was gritty and didn't take any crap but he racked up points while here. Different days ... we had Duco, Soso, Kindl and even a young Mascioli keeping the opposition on their toes back then under PD's capable tutelage.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
If you can get the Knights to take Merkley, we may well hold a Pete's appreciation night at the Aud whenever he plays here :naughty:

Downie was gritty and didn't take any crap but he racked up points while here. Different days ... we had Duco, Soso, Kindl and even a young Mascioli keeping the opposition on their toes back then under PD's capable tutelage.
And many of us will remember Downie standing at blueline center for the entire warmup and staring at the opposition's goalie. He was a different sort no doubt but he played to win. And he certainly racked up the points. 17 games reg season 9 playoff games
upload_2019-8-19_17-48-29.png

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I still remember when he got ejected from a game and tossed stuff out the tunnel lol
And the time he broke the penalty box door when he slammed it so he kept pushing it open before the play started and peeked out trying to get the refs attention. DeBoer seem to know how to keep Downey focused. When Phillie drafted him, it was obvious they looked at him as more of an enforcer and less as a hockey player who could put up points. He did have more success with Tampa and later, with the Avs on Landesgog's line.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
When Phillie drafted him, it was obvious they looked at him as more of an enforcer and less as a hockey player who could put up points. He did have more success with Tampa and later, with the Avs on Landesgog's line.

Not a chance Philadelphia drafted Steve Downie to be an enforcer. First of all, nobody is wasting a first round pick on an enforcer. Second, Downie was way too small to fill that roll.

Bobby Clarke did his homework on Downie before he drafted him. It was in Downie's draft year that he led Windsor from an 0-3 deficit to come back and beat Sault Ste Marie in the playoffs. That comeback started and ended with Steve Downie. Flyer 1st rounder Jeff Carter was a member of the Hounds that year and no doubt Clarke tapped Carter for information on Downie.

Clarke drafted Downie, not to be an enforcer, but rather to be just what he was in the OHL:
A higher end player who'd be a pain in the butt to play against. Maybe he didn't expect him to be a first liner in the NHL, but second line and certainly no worse than third line. He expected him to be that player who stirs the pot every shift. The player that, if you're an opponent, you better know he's on the ice and if he is, you better have eyes in the back your head.

At the same time, being a 60-80 point player wouldn't have been out of the question.

A Brad Marchand type player would be a very good comparison.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
And the time he broke the penalty box door when he slammed it so he kept pushing it open before the play started and peeked out trying to get the refs attention. DeBoer seem to know how to keep Downey focused. When Phillie drafted him, it was obvious they looked at him as more of an enforcer and less as a hockey player who could put up points. He did have more success with Tampa and later, with the Avs on Landesgog's line.
I watched Downey at the Ranger practices many times and even Deboer had trouble keeping a handle on him at times. His hockey IQ was quite high. He just marched to the beat of a distant drummer. If he could have stayed away from the penalty box he probably would have lead the league in scoring. He looked to use all his team mates when he had the puck on his stick.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I watched Downey at the Ranger practices many times and even Deboer had trouble keeping a handle on him at times. His hockey IQ was quite high. He just marched to the beat of a distant drummer. If he could have stayed away from the penalty box he probably would have lead the league in scoring. He looked to use all his team mates when he had the puck on his stick.
What stood out for me was how he positioned himself and used leverage to retrieve and control the pucks along the boards. Regardless the size of the opponent he always came away with puck.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Mar 12, 2009
I hope we find out about if Meireless is coming back, or not, in time to add an OA of Hawell's calibre (if the price is right) or maybe bring McHugh back in if we could get him for a tiny bit less than we gave up. Our coaching staff/playing style seemed to get a lot more out of Nick last year than Missisauga.'s.

Reactions: robertmac43

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I hope we find out about if Meireless is coming back, or not, in time to add an OA of Hawell's calibre (if the price is right) or maybe bring McHugh back in if we could get him for a tiny bit less than we gave up. Our coaching staff/playing style seemed to get a lot more out of Nick last year than Missisauga.'s.

If we had room, I'd love McHugh here. Unfortunately, due to the 13 month rule, the only way he can be a Ranger is if he clears waivers.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

don’t see Meireles making the jump quite yet. similar to what people are saying about Yantsis. that substantial of a point increase you need another season to see if it’s legit

Mar 12, 2009
don’t see Meireles making the jump quite yet. similar to what people are saying about Yantsis. that substantial of a point increase you need another season to see if it’s legit
Neither do I, but unlike Yantsis, Meireless was drafted and has pro level skating and a solid defensive game that the Panthers could decide limited minutes and practicing in the AHL is an ok option, or ECHL depending on the needs and wants of both player and team (ie. if Florida didn't mind AHL/ECHL and Greg wanted it to earn a pay check).
I think he will/should be back but he's not a guarentee, and we have to leave that OA slot open for him until he's a lock to be back...and if that drags on, there's a chance some of the higher quality OAs will have been moved by then,

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
pre season roster posted on website. Fishman and Martin on it. Garreffa, Serpa, Gordon not on it. McDonnell listed as a RW

Curious that Garreffa and especially Serpa are not on the roster. Typos perhaps.

No surprise on Gordon. It was evident he wasn't in their plans last year.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Josh brown just said Joey G isn’t Returning he’s trying to go pro
Read that too. Big loss and creates a bit of a hole in the lineup. Wouldn't count him out for the season yet, if he doesnt stick in pro's he can come back. Just have to trim down OAs at trade deadline. But if this is his path he is wanting to take, I dont anticipate him coming back.

Reactions: Ward Cornell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad