Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I get your swapping Stepien for Valade. My reasoning for putting Valade on the third line was to allow him easier opposition to play against. He and Langdon should ramp it up this year and I figured they'd form two thirds of one of the stronger third lines in the league. Langdon, if you remember, was outplaying Valade a little up until his injury. I think both will be above average this year.

But in the event Valade outplays Stepien to the point where he earns his way onto the second line, then so be it.

If Pinelli lives up to his rep, he very well could play up higher than 4th line. I know what MM said and it's what Montoyo said about Bo Bichette. It takes the pressure off from feeling that they have to jump in and be a star right away. We haven't seen a Pinelli in quite a while.

I'm with you on Bergkvist....for sure top 4....and top 2 is possible. Wouldn't that be nice? And please don't forget Sebrango. He's doing a fabulous job on Team Canada despite being virtually ignored by Craig Button who's too busy gushing over his top picks on the team.

I'll note two plays especially when Sebrango was in his own end and the Czechs were pressing hard. In the first one, he had two Czechs all over him along the boards as they fought to get the puck out. Sebrango stick handled the puck to a better position and backhanded it out to one of his forwards who immediately headed out of the zone. It wasn't a fluke. Sebrango was aware of who was around him.

In the second one, Sebrango trapped the puck at the boards in his zone and no matter what the Czechs did...and there were three of them near the end...he kept it there and was tough on the puck as precious Czech PP time ticked away. They couldn't pry it out of there with a crow bar. It took a whistle to break that one up.

The Team Canada experience that both Vuks and Sebrango have had this summer will show in their play this season. I'm interested in seeing how this D corps shapes up in the early part of the season.

Got my showcase weekend pass!! The rest of you ready?

Mar 12, 2009
I'm with you on Bergkvist....for sure top 4....and top 2 is possible. Wouldn't that be nice? And please don't forget Sebrango. He's doing a fabulous job on Team Canada despite being virtually ignored by Craig Button who's too busy gushing over his top picks on the team.
This has been kind of annoying, Sebrango has been really solid and very involved in the play the last two games, yet he's the one player Button seems to never mention, even after long stretches of Gord Miller mentioning his name in the play-by-play. I get the feeling Button is only talking about those he's familiar with, and it seems like he has never seen/heard of Sebrango before.

Last game Sebrango had such a long board battle, I rewound the recording to count how long and it was a full 39 seconds of pinning the puck to the wall while 2 Czechs try and fail to get the puck loose from him. I like his skill set at both ends of the ice, but I like his compete level even more.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
pinning the puck to the wall against a weak team like the Czech's isn't exactly a skillful move; I'm not sure how long you would like Button to talk about his one assist? He's a good player don't get me wrong, but he is also surrounded by talent who are doing some pretty special things.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Pinelli lives up to his rep, he very well could play up higher than 4th line. I know what MM said and it's what Montoyo said about Bo Bichette. It takes the pressure off from feeling that they have to jump in and be a star right away. We haven't seen a Pinelli in quite a while.

I'll note two plays especially when Sebrango was in his own end and the Czechs were pressing hard. In the first one, he had two Czechs all over him along the boards as they fought to get the puck out. Sebrango stick handled the puck to a better position and backhanded it out to one of his forwards who immediately headed out of the zone. It wasn't a fluke. Sebrango was aware of who was around him.

In the second one, Sebrango trapped the puck at the boards in his zone and no matter what the Czechs did...and there were three of them near the end...he kept it there and was tough on the puck as precious Czech PP time ticked away. They couldn't pry it out of there with a crow bar. It took a whistle to break that one up.

The Team Canada experience that both Vuks and Sebrango have had this summer will show in their play this season. I'm interested in seeing how this D corps shapes up in the early part of the season.

Got my showcase weekend pass!! The rest of you ready?

There are only so many spots among the top 9. This isn't the Kitchener Rangers of 1999 when Derek Roy saw first line minutes as a 16 year old. We're a deep team. Pinelli will get limited PP time and play down the lineup more often than not. Nothing wrong with that in a deep team.

Some said on here back when MacDonnell signed - that he wasn't coming here to play 4th line minutes. If he and Pinelli are too good for the 4th line, who gets bumped out so these guys can move up? Personally, I feel that the lines I listed above after acquiring a stud winger would provide scoring throughout the lineup. Valade and Langdon on the third. Pinelli MacDonnell on the fourth.

Sure, they'll start games up the lineup once in a while. There'll be injuries and absences due to national camps and tournaments. But when the chips are down, solid scoring throughout the lineup wins games.

Reactions: dirty12

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
There are only so many spots among the top 9. This isn't the Kitchener Rangers of 1999 when Derek Roy saw first line minutes as a 16 year old. We're a deep team. Pinelli will get limited PP time and play down the lineup more often than not. Nothing wrong with that in a deep team.

Some said on here back when MacDonnell signed - that he wasn't coming here to play 4th line minutes. If he and Pinelli are too good for the 4th line, who gets bumped out so these guys can move up? Personally, I feel that the lines I listed above after acquiring a stud winger would provide scoring throughout the lineup. Valade and Langdon on the third. Pinelli MacDonnell on the fourth.

Sure, they'll start games up the lineup once in a while. There'll be injuries and absences due to national camps and tournaments. But when the chips are down, solid scoring throughout the lineup wins games.
I wouldn't be surprised if Pinelli moves up in the lines that there would be a corresponding move of a trade or two to move out a veteran.
Then Pinelli's "4th line" minutes be given to another 16 year old rookie....cough cough Fishman!

Reactions: Gondrex
Mar 12, 2009
pinning the puck to the wall against a weak team like the Czech's isn't exactly a skillful move; I'm not sure how long you would like Button to talk about his one assist? He's a good player don't get me wrong, but he is also surrounded by talent who are doing some pretty special things.
When he's one of the most involved players in a shift (several times), ya I kind of expect him to talk about him at that moment (or at least once) over talking about another player for the 5th time who didn't factor said play but has a higher profile. His "1 assist" is still more or equal to what half the D have done in this tournament, and most have been talked about a lot more so I don't think that's a particularly valid argument. Maybe I'm biased toward Sebrango as a ranger fan, but I'm wondering if you're part of the Button family ;)

On to today's U18 game. Tight game early, Canada was all over Sweden in the 3rd but couldn't beat the goalie. Another good, steady game from Sebrango. In the 3rd the coaches shortened the D bench to 6 and Sebrango was one of the 6 who stayed in rotation, beating out fellow OHLer Ryan O'Rourke. Gold Medal game goes Saturday at 11am est. I've noticed he's been used on his off-side a few times this tournament when paired with another lefty and hasn't looked any worse for wear. I hope that translates to the OHL because our projected top-4 is missing a right handed shot, so if he can go on his off-side, that could go a long way for match ups.

So far from watching this, I'm thinking I've got to get to an Erie and Saginaw game when they come here, at the very least. Drysdale looks like a hell of a player and Perfetti has an incredible skill set and confidence. Guehle from the WHL also stands out as having a really good package of size, skating, physicality and some skill.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Your opinion of course but again today against a strong team from Sweden his defensive excellence was evident every shift. Sebrango never wavered and did his job as he is intended to do by the coaching staff. All of this at an international level and while he may not be flashy, his talent is just as special as a talent as scoring. Button needs to wake up and quit gushing about his personal top 10. There's more to hockey than the top scorers and takes a whole team to win.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
When he's one of the most involved players in a shift (several times), ya I kind of expect him to talk about him at that moment (or at least once) over talking about another player for the 5th time who didn't factor said play but has a higher profile. His "1 assist" is still more or equal to what half the D have done in this tournament, and most have been talked about a lot more so I don't think that's a particularly valid argument. Maybe I'm biased toward Sebrango as a ranger fan, but I'm wondering if you're part of the Button family ;)

On to today's U18 game. Tight game early, Canada was all over Sweden in the 3rd but couldn't beat the goalie. Another good, steady game from Sebrango. In the 3rd the coaches shortened the D bench to 6 and Sebrango was one of the 6 who stayed in rotation, beating out fellow OHLer Ryan O'Rourke. Gold Medal game goes Saturday at 11am est. I've noticed he's been used on his off-side a few times this tournament when paired with another lefty and hasn't looked any worse for wear. I hope that translates to the OHL because our projected top-4 is missing a right handed shot, so if he can go on his off-side, that could go a long way for match ups.

So far from watching this, I'm thinking I've got to get to an Erie and Saginaw game when they come here, at the very least. Drysdale looks like a hell of a player and Perfetti has an incredible skill set and confidence. Guehle from the WHL also stands out as having a really good package of size, skating, physicality and some skill.
Yup....that's like saying Perfetti's goals were nothing to be talked about against a lesser skilled team so that pretty much sinks that doesn't it?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I suspect the people who really counts in regards to Serbrango future are the employed NHL GM's and not one who was fired!
Button was also giving Jack Eichel accolades and had him going over McDavid in the draft.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if Pinelli moves up in the lines that there would be a corresponding move of a trade or two to move out a veteran.
Then Pinelli's "4th line" minutes be given to another 16 year old rookie....cough cough Fishman!

To expect that there won't be any trades isn't realistic. They usually happen one way or another.

That being said, of our returning forwards, I don't see any of the OA's, Damiani, Langdon, Valade or Petizian going anywhere. If there is a forward who I could see moved out its Stepien. I really wouldn't want to see that happen as I believe there's upside with this player as a top six forward up to and including an OA season. I think he and Petizian could be very good OA's when we are set to contend again (21-22). Add in the fact we got him in exchange for York, meaning we've already won that deal based on age and upside. I'd like to see him play out his time as a Ranger.

Personally, I stand that a lineup as I posted after we'd acquired a winger makes big sense to me for the reasons I said. Meaning no trading away current vets.

Not only for this year, but I also see a top six for the following two years of Valade, Langdon, Pinelli, MacDonnell, Petizian, and Stepien.

However, should a trade of Stepien be in the cards, I'd be waiting until closer to the deadline to get his point totals up. Best to get the most we can for him.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Roster set to peak this season, not 2020-21 when the tournament hosting honours return to the OHL

For those who haven't see this morning's paper (or online), here's Brown's article on why the Rangers won't bid for the Mem Cup....and by the looks of things, Rangers will be going for it this year....unless I misread:

Memorial Cup bid doesn’t make sense for Rangers

Brown near the end of the article "Barring a complete teardown this season, it doesn't look like the Rangers will be in a position to dominate in 2020-21. Besides, with the way the OHL's western conference is shaping up this season, the club has a better shot at reaching the national gathering now."

And here I thought 20-21 would be the contending season....

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Roster set to peak this season, not 2020-21 when the tournament hosting honours return to the OHL

For those who haven't see this morning's paper (or online), here's Brown's article on why the Rangers won't bid for the Mem Cup....and by the looks of things, Rangers will be going for it this year....unless I misread:

Memorial Cup bid doesn’t make sense for Rangers

Brown near the end of the article "Barring a complete teardown this season, it doesn't look like the Rangers will be in a position to dominate in 2020-21. Besides, with the way the OHL's western conference is shaping up this season, the club has a better shot at reaching the national gathering now."

And here I thought 20-21 would be the contending season....

I think the Rangers have it right. Next year won’t be a horrible year but it will be a year that we shouldn’t contend. 2021-22 is the next time we can contend after this year. Our really young talent next year will be 17 and 18 year olds. I feel they will be middle of the pack and a good team but once they turn 18/19 in 2021-22 is when they should be really, really good.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
thing is, what do we give up for a top left winger? no one wants to move any of the young guns, but the draft cupboard is thin and we don’t want to give up Guelph’s 2nd for next year’s draft. somethings gotta give if Kitcheners gonna buy this year

Reactions: Gondrex

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think the Rangers have it right. Next year won’t be a horrible year but it will be a year that we shouldn’t contend. 2021-22 is the next time we can contend after this year. Our really young talent next year will be 17 and 18 year olds. I feel they will be middle of the pack and a good team but once they turn 18/19 in 2021-22 is when they should be really, really good.

Exactly! By 21-22, Petizian and Serpa would be OA's. Valade, Langdon, MacDonnell, Ottavainen, Serpa, Sebrango will be in their 19 year old year. Pinelli, Motew, maybe Schmidt would be in their third year of eligibility. Next year's first rounder in his second year.

That's the year!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
thing is, what do we give up for a top left winger? no one wants to move any of the young guns, but the draft cupboard is thin and we don’t want to give up Guelph’s 2nd for next year’s draft. somethings gotta give if Kitcheners gonna buy this year

I think we move Vukojevic at the 2021 deadline for assets that'll help restock the cupboard of any assets used to buy this year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Button is okay but his rankings aren't always that great. I would take anything he says or doesn't say about a player with a grain of salt. These TV sports guys always over state the talent of junior players in respect to them turning pro. They compare many to huge NHL stars in tourneys which is actually incorrect and very annoying at times.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I think we move Vukojevic at the 2021 deadline for assets that'll help restock the cupboard of any assets used to buy this year.

Agreed. One of many possibilities if gets creative. Maybe trade Sebrango for 2 quality big guns? Or a 3 way deal if one team does not have both guns? Or if we are one gun shot how about a Sebrango for a gun and draft picks? That would stock the cupboard. And I only mention Sebrango because of his value, after all, he is one of my faves and would hate to see him go. As I mentioned in an earlier post, out strength seems to be defence for the next couple of seasons so we need to deal starting there.

It all really depends on where we are near the trade deadline. If we need a couple of goal scores to put us at the top, then pull the trigger and go for it. Don't want to waste the OA talent we have. On the other hand, we are in great position to rebuild if it is not in the cards. Our OA's should bring in a good return for any contenders interested.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sebrango will be 19 in 21-22 - the contending year in question. He'll be our veteran big gun leader on D. No way he's moved.

The only graduating big piece we'll have to move at the 2021 deadline is Vukojovic. Unless the winger we acquire this year is an 01 birth.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Sebrango will be 19 in 21-22 - the contending year in question. He'll be our veteran big gun leader on D. No way he's moved.

The only graduating big piece we'll have to move at the 2021 deadline is Vukojovic. Unless the winger we acquire this year is an 01 birth.

I understand and as I mentioned, this is just an example. If 2 x top ten forwards are the difference of making us a Memorial Cup contender for THIS year, we might have to give up big to get big. 21-22 is a long, long time in Junior hockey.

I know many here are talking about 21-22 being the "go for it" year but I feel the pieces MIGHT be here this year so why not now? We don't have to have a power house to win the Memorial Cup like Guelph did. (Oh wait? They didn't win!) If our younger players all mildly surprise, we can win it this year with minor tweeks and even contend a few years from now.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I understand and as I mentioned, this is just an example. If 2 x top ten forwards are the difference of making us a Memorial Cup contender for THIS year, we might have to give up big to get big. 21-22 is a long, long time in Junior hockey.

I know many here are talking about 21-22 being the "go for it" year but I feel the pieces MIGHT be here this year so why not now? We don't have to have a power house to win the Memorial Cup like Guelph did. (Oh wait? They didn't win!) If our younger players all mildly surprise, we can win it this year with minor tweeks and even contend a few years from now.

I expect us to contend this year AND in 21-22. Only thing that would have me changing my mind on contending this year is if a couple of the overage forwords that we expect back do not return. It'll be a whole different ball game.

If that were to happen, then I sell off graduating players this year and have 20-21 and 21-22 as contending years.

Reactions: bobber

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I expect us to contend this year AND in 21-22. Only thing that would have me changing my mind on contending this year is if a couple of the overage forwords that we expect back do not return. It'll be a whole different ball game.

If that were to happen, then I sell off graduating players this year and have 20-21 and 21-22 as contending years.

I think we both have the same thoughts. LOL! Definitely, if all 3 OA's are not back, we need to sell.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Agreed. One of many possibilities if gets creative. Maybe trade Sebrango for 2 quality big guns? Or a 3 way deal if one team does not have both guns? Or if we are one gun shot how about a Sebrango for a gun and draft picks? That would stock the cupboard. And I only mention Sebrango because of his value, after all, he is one of my faves and would hate to see him go. As I mentioned in an earlier post, out strength seems to be defence for the next couple of seasons so we need to deal starting there.

It all really depends on where we are near the trade deadline. If we need a couple of goal scores to put us at the top, then pull the trigger and go for it. Don't want to waste the OA talent we have. On the other hand, we are in great position to rebuild if it is not in the cards. Our OA's should bring in a good return for any contenders interested.
Geo I disagree on trading Sebrango. Kid has skill and grit which is something that has been lacking in Kitchener over the years. Let's see him develop here.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Geo I disagree on trading Sebrango. Kid has skill and grit which is something that has been lacking in Kitchener over the years. Let's see him develop here.

Please re-read my post. As I said, "Just an example". I love the kid and he is one of my faves.

Speaking of............anyone catch how Sebrango looked in the tournament final against the Russians?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Please re-read my post. As I said, "Just an example". I love the kid and he is one of my faves.

Speaking of............anyone catch how Sebrango looked in the tournament final against the Russians?
He was solid. Mostly mistake free, good puck movement, got some pucks on net. He was pretty physical, throwing some hits and using his body to effectively seperate opposing players from the puck. Stepped up and absolutely leveled a Russian player at the offensive blue line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad