Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
what concerns me now this year is the powerplay. last season was Hugg Damiani Meireles Yantsis Garreffa. the powerplay was what made Meireles and Yantsis the scorers they are. even the slightest change on the special teams can throw the chemistry off. no one on the point has the electrifying style of play that Joey G has to quarterback that unit. Sebrango has the confidence to try some of the things he was doing out there but that’s all I can think of. Vuks and Bergkvist would provide more of a booming shot from the point then an agile/all over the place playmaker like Joey

With Hugg gone, the PP was already destined to be different and now with Garreffa out, the PP is definitely going to take on a whole new look. IMO Andreas Karlsson had a lot to do with the PP style. Even the 2nd unit did well when put in there. So who will get the nod? Vuks on the point and Valade in the mix? Looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Joey was signed to the Rangers as a forward. He knew this going in. He was put back on D only because he had played D at one time and the situation was dire. He very well may have felt that he wanted to stay on D but the team signed him to be a forward. Feelings aside, that's not what he was contracted for. So somewhere between saying "yes, I want to stay on to my OA year" to now, he has decided that playing forward is not what he wants and playing pro D (maybe Europe) is. Good on him.

Beginning with the 2018 playoffs, he was much more valuable to this team as a defenseman. It's a position he wanted to play. Just because he was drafted as a forward doesn't mean it had to be written in stone that he can only be a forward as a Ranger. Andre Benoit was drafted as a forward too. We all know how his career in Kitchener and the pros played out.

The bottom line is the team did not want him to play defence full-time. The team knew full well long before the period of time leading up to the trade deadline that he wanted to play defence full-time. It wasn't a secret.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a disgruntled player. He was not happy playing forward and knew he would not get the chance to play D based on where they played him last year - especially post trade deadline. The final nail in the coffin was how our import draft went.

We don't know how he was asked about his OA season before the deadline. Was he led to believe that if he plays an overage season he would or could be utilized as a defenseman? Or, did they tell him that his future in Kitchener was only as a forward? How this conversation went we likely will never know.

One thing we must assume is that at the time he agreed that he would play an overage season here, he either had a good idea from management that there was a possibility that he would be utilized on D or that he was told he would not be and maybe decided to let the team think he would play an overage season here anyway to avoid being traded at the deadline. If MM is doing his job, and he knows Garreffa is not coming back for an overage season, he should be trying to move him at the last deadline to get what he can for him since last year was not a contending season. We likely would have seen him dealt instead of McHugh. MM likely felt that Garreffa was more valuable to the Rangers then McHugh as a forward this season.

MM probably figured that Joey would come back for his overage season, and even though he would want and expect to play defense, could get away with one more year of bouncing him back-and-forth between F and D.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
A bit of an interesting rule change could be coming to the OHL. Not sure, if it will be in affect for this coming season or not but OA goalies won't count towards the overall OA count for a team.
Since goalies development more slowly than skaters I think overall this is a good rule change.
Opinion?

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
A bit of an interesting rule change could be coming to the OHL. Not sure, if it will be in affect for this coming season or not but OA goalies won't count towards the overall OA count for a team.
Since goalies development more slowly than skaters I think overall this is a good rule change.
Opinion?

very good change, especially with the return of import goalies. Would need a future effective date however. Start of next year?

Reactions: Ward Cornell
Mar 12, 2009
SDA could be a nice fit to re-add some skill upfront
Peterborough has a chance to be a good team in the east this season, and his value is probably on the lower end of what it could be, so I doubt they trade him until mid season if they don't have a shot to contend in the East and/or until he's played this season to try and raise his value after a mediocre last season.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Beginning with the 2018 playoffs, he was much more valuable to this team as a defenseman. It's a position he wanted to play. Just because he was drafted as a forward doesn't mean it had to be written in stone that he can only be a forward as a Ranger. Andre Benoit was drafted as a forward too. We all know how his career in Kitchener and the pros played out.

The bottom line is the team did not want him to play defence full-time. The team knew full well long before the period of time leading up to the trade deadline that he wanted to play defence full-time. It wasn't a secret.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a disgruntled player. He was not happy playing forward and knew he would not get the chance to play D based on where they played him last year - especially post trade deadline. The final nail in the coffin was how our import draft went.

We don't know how he was asked about his OA season before the deadline. Was he led to believe that if he plays an overage season he would or could be utilized as a defenseman? Or, did they tell him that his future in Kitchener was only as a forward? How this conversation went we likely will never know.

One thing we must assume is that at the time he agreed that he would play an overage season here, he either had a good idea from management that there was a possibility that he would be utilized on D or that he was told he would not be and maybe decided to let the team think he would play an overage season here anyway to avoid being traded at the deadline. If MM is doing his job, and he knows Garreffa is not coming back for an overage season, he should be trying to move him at the last deadline to get what he can for him since last year was not a contending season. We likely would have seen him dealt instead of McHugh. MM likely felt that Garreffa was more valuable to the Rangers then McHugh as a forward this season.

MM probably figured that Joey would come back for his overage season, and even though he would want and expect to play defense, could get away with one more year of bouncing him back-and-forth between F and D.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Lots of conjecture in there. I wouldn't know. I wasn't there. My point is that just because he wanted to play a certain position doesn't mean the team who contracted him does. He either accepts that or leaves. He left. Nuff said.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
For what it's worth, a Kings fan said that Gareffa was at their rookie development camp earlier this summer as a LW.
Bottom line head coaches and GM's play the players where they can help teams win hockey games. Those who don't, tend to lose their jobs much sooner than later.
I suspect JG and his advisors may start to realize this. Even though I appreciated JGs willingness to play defence when needed, anyone who watched him at forward had to see that he was a solid contributor to the wins.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
we don’t know the story as to why he left. let’s not paint it like he was angry that he wasn’t getting his way so left. Joey G has been nothing but pleasant in his 4 seasons here.

if he believes that playing an extra season here won’t move his career towards an NHL deal, why not go get paid in the AHL/ECHL? putting up a good season in those leagues would probably bring him closer to an NHL deal because apparently all these great seasons in the OHL aren’t cutting it

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
we don’t know the story as to why he left. let’s not paint it like he was angry that he wasn’t getting his way so left. Joey G has been nothing but pleasant in his 4 seasons here.

if he believes that playing an extra season here won’t move his career towards an NHL deal, why not go get paid in the AHL/ECHL? putting up a good season in those leagues would probably bring him closer to an NHL deal because apparently all these great seasons in the OHL aren’t cutting it
Joey had his short comings(kidding) but we really enjoyed having him here in Kitchener . The kid had some character to him and this is what the Rangers seem to shy away from.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
Joey had his short comings(kidding) but we really enjoyed having him here in Kitchener . The kid had some character to him and this is what the Rangers seem to shy away from.
Don’t agree with this. He wanted to play D and seen the writing on the wall and decided not to come back. It is what is , no hard d feelings either side and move on. All the best Joey

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Don’t agree with this. He wanted to play D and seen the writing on the wall and decided not to come back. It is what is , no hard d feelings either side and move on. All the best Joey
Billjack not really sure what you are disagreeing with. Maybe extrapolate on what you find wrong . Are you saying we should not of enjoyed having Joey here? We were fine on whichever position he played and he seemed happy with being versatile in interviews.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I really felt Joey and Reid Valade were developing a nice chemistry together.
I know this gives more ice time to young players, but I think Joey would have really helped make space and create chances for them.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter why. The fact of the matter is that he's not coming back.

However, the selfish side of me looks at this from a Ranger point of view. His not coming back unexpectedly leaves a) a big void in our top 6, and, b) a void in our pool of assets that could have been filled had we been able to move him at the last deadline.

I'm not buying MM's theory of "next man up". If we are to be a contender this year, we need a solid four lines. Anyone who moves up to take Garreffa's place among the top six will leave a void on the lower lines. Sure we'll have room for an extra rookie on the roster but at the end of the day, our forward group would not be as strong as it could've been.

Compounding the issue is the fact we don't have a ton of assets with which to replace Joey's top six minutes, and also deal for a top six forward that we evidently need and talked about on here.

The question now is, to contend or not to contend.

On the bright side, I was critical of Rangers management for using Joey on the point on the power play as much as they did last year. Last year was not a contending season and I said on here multiple times that those minutes should've gone to Vukojovic and during the second half of the season, Sebrango, to get them PP experience. Now with Joey gone, we can see a mix of these two along with the imports logging PP minutes on the backend.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter why. The fact of the matter is that he's not coming back.

However, the selfish side of me looks at this from a Ranger point of view. His not coming back unexpectedly leaves a) a big void in our top 6, and, b) a void in our pool of assets that could have been filled had we been able to move him at the last deadline.

I'm not buying MM's theory of "next man up". If we are to be a contender this year, we need a solid four lines. Anyone who moves up to take Garreffa's place among the top six will leave a void on the lower lines. Sure we'll have room for an extra rookie on the roster but at the end of the day, our forward group would not be as strong as it could've been.

Compounding the issue is the fact we don't have a ton of assets with which to replace Joey's top six minutes, and also deal for a top six forward that we evidently need and talked about on here.

The question now is, to contend or not to contend.

On the bright side, I was critical of Rangers management for using Joey on the point on the power play as much as they did last year. Last year was not a contending season and I said on here multiple times that those minutes should've gone to Vukojovic and during the second half of the season, Sebrango, to get them PP experience. Now with Joey gone, we can see a mix of these two along with the imports logging PP minutes on the backend.

his “next guy up” theory is very risky considering the state of the team. this would’ve been a lot better to try last season. realistically, looking at the 5 99s we had last season, who was the most likely to make the jump to pro around trade deadline time? I think we would all agree on Garreffa. he had been to camps with 2 NHL teams at that point. Meireles was playing well but really sparked after the deadline. this should’ve been taken into consideration knowing that the team could be good for 19-20. there was some talk about him not waiving a trade but I’m sure something could’ve been done. that would leave us with McHugh, Meireles, Yantsis. that’s a good depth piece and the assets gotten back for Garreffa probably would’ve been more than McHugh which could help with a trade for an elite winger

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
little update on Matt Gordon in Halifax. rosters down to 21 forwards. 9 returning + 1 import. leaves 3 or 4 spots left to grab. he was a scratch the game before the cuts were made. looks like he could be in reach of a spot

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad