Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And the roster lineup has been revised again since this morning.........now....no Garreffa as we have heard....BOOM.....Serpa is there........no Martin and no Fishman....for now.... ; )

Kitchener Rangers

Mar 12, 2009
That's really disappointing, but where is he going to play? I think he has a better shot at a pro contract after an OA season, than he does of making an AHL team this year...maybe ECHL or Europe? I didn't think there was any chance he would be moving on this season, makes me a little more nervous about Meireless just because he's the only one I figured could have a legit shot moving on after being drafted.
In hindsight, kind of wish we tried to trade him, but at the time he seemed like the one "lock" to return due to size and game away from the puck not being pro-ready.

The rosters must not be finalized, McDonnel is not on the most recent one and we only have 10 forwards listed, which is quite slime for a final roster, let alone pre-season where there should be enough players for several cuts to be made.

Reactions: robertmac43

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
That's really disappointing, but where is he going to play? I think he has a better shot at a pro contract after an OA season, than he does of making an AHL team this year...maybe ECHL or Europe? I didn't think there was any chance he would be moving on this season, makes me a little more nervous about Meireless just because he's the only one I figured could have a legit shot moving on after being drafted.
In hindsight, kind of wish we tried to trade him, but at the time he seemed like the one "lock" to return due to size and game away from the puck not being pro-ready.

The rosters must not be finalized, McDonnel is not on the most recent one and we only have 10 forwards listed, which is quite slime for a final roster, let alone pre-season where there should be enough players for several cuts to be made.
Mistakes were made on the last one (other than Joey missing) so I have a feeling that a mistake was made again with McDonnell who signed up back in May.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
As we all quickly revise the lineup.........thoughts? MM must have known about Joey for some time so what does he have up his sleeve?

Petizian-Meireles-Yantsis
Pinelli-Damiani-Stepien
Langdon-McDonell-Valade
Dickerson-Serpa-???

Fishman and Martin were on that lineup and have since disappeared along with McDonnell which I highly doubt. Another revision coming soon I hope....

Mar 12, 2009
I'd still probably wait a bit before replacing Gareffa, make sure he's really gone, as much as his intention is to leave, there is always a chance he doesn't catch on anywhere and returns (unless he wants out bad enough to go to low level Euro leagues if he doesn't make a good pro league)

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

K2

Jun 11, 2015

I expect at least +4 forwards for a pre-season roster so perhaps camp will be more interesting than first thought.

That's really disappointing, but where is he going to play? I think he has a better shot at a pro contract after an OA season, than he does of making an AHL team this year...maybe ECHL or Europe? I

Makes me wonder if Joey bolted after the euro draft & signings meant he wasn't going to see any time in his preferred role on D this year. Hope he has options in Europe as the AHL is unlikely and the ECHL would probably be a short, bumpy ride for him given the glut of former OHL studs aging out in the ECHL for around $500 bucks a week ... especially if he wants to play D. He could strike out and return then still have CIS & pro as options next year.

MM must have known about Joey for some time

Somehow this seems like it's probably a recent surprise given past interviews, etc. Lots of decent OA talent out there and we have Richie hanging around on the pre-season roster if JG's exit has hobbled our 'going for it' likelihood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
From what I'm hearing, MM and the coaching staff have been caught off guard by all this. It will be interesting to see what their next move(s) are. Also, McDonnel still not on that newly revised roster. It had better be yet another mistake...

Reactions: K2

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
From what I'm hearing, MM and the coaching staff have been caught off guard by all this. It will be interesting to see what their next move(s) are. Also, McDonnel still not on that newly revised roster. It had better be yet another mistake...
Well, from rumours I heard that the rangers did know mid-summer that JGs intentions was to go pro.

Reactions: BenchedGuy

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Well, from rumours I heard that the rangers did know mid-summer that JGs intentions was to go pro.

Mid-Summer as in when they signed Ville & Axel 3 weeks ago ... or last week given it's Summer until September 23? ;)

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
That would be a good thing in that MM and staff would have time to plan. Farwell is interviewing MM on 570 News at 11:45 today. Not sure that I'll catch it but if anyone does, like to hear what MM says.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
MM confirmed on the farewell show that there is not a big a chance of Joe returning.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
that really throws a wrench in the Rangers plans. they are now at least 2 good forwards away from being really good. gonna cost the farm to get them. only left wing as of now is Mike Petizian

Reactions: EvenSteven
Mar 12, 2009
Here are my notes from the interview:
-MM heard rumblings JG may leave during summer but were only informed by JG himself a week or two ago. He was "slightly" surprised as the 3 big OAs (Joey included) indicated they were interested in returning for an OA season if he did not end up with an NHL/pro contract at the end of this past season (a discussion that apparently happened sometime toward the end of last season).
- Joey believes he's ready for the AHL and intends to go to Kings camp and try to make their AHL affiliate.
- they use a "next man up" philosophy, they're goal is to always have someone who can step up and take someones spot in situations like this. For the time being, they are going to give some of the talented younger kids the opportunities to step up and take that spot. Not going to make knee jerk reactions to the news of Gareffa leaving.

My thoughts are that I like this philosophy. I want to see what the kids can do and if any of them can step up. It's a big opportunity for a lot of guys so hopefully they take it. I'm assuming they would look to replace him if no one can step in and fill the void adequately enough. Not sure anyone can realistically replace him, but hopefully do enough, and have some scoring depth with our younger guys, that it's less of a problem. More than ever, it's time to see what we have in our 2nd and 3rd year players before making any kind of splash trade wise.

It sounds like Joe doesn't have any intention on coming back, but I'm curious what position he intends to try out for on the Kings affiliate. iirc they have a pretty deep AHL blueline already, with Durzi and Phillips from the champion Storm team making the jump as well (and pretty much guaranteed spots there).

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Here are my notes from the interview:
-MM heard rumblings JG may leave during summer but were only informed by JG himself a week or two ago. He was "slightly" surprised as Joey indicated he was interested in returning for an OA season if he did not end up with an NHL/pro contract at the end of this past season.
- Joey believes he's ready for the AHL and intends to go to Kings camp and try to make their AHL affiliate.
- they use a "next man up" philosophy, they're goal is to always have someone who can step up and take someones spot in situations like this. For the time being, they are going to give some of the talented younger kids the opportunities to step up and take that spot. Not going to make knee jerk reactions to the news of Gareffa leaving.

My thoughts are that I like this philosohpy. I want to see what the kids can do and if any of them can step up. It's a big opportunity for a lot of guys so hopefully they take it. I'm assuming they would look to replace him if no one can step in and fill the void adequately enough. Not sure anyone can realistically replace him, but hopefully do enough, and have some scoring depth with our younger guys, that it's less of a problem. More than ever, it's time to see what we have in our 2nd and 3rd year players before making any kind of splash trade wise.

It sounds like Joe doesn't have any intention on coming back, but I'm curious what position he intends to try out for on the Kings affiliate. iirc they have a pretty deep AHL blueline already, with Durzi and Phillips from the champion Storm team making the jump as well (and pretty much guaranteed spots there).
That's way different from what I was told.

Mar 12, 2009
That's way different from what I was told.
Just going by what MM said, To be more clear, he said all 3 OA's had said they'd be interested in coming back if they didn't have a contract, but that was sometime toward the end of last season.
What did you hear?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
in non-Garreffa news, Matt Gordon scored in his 2nd pre season game with Halifax. I mentioned way earlier that I thought this would be a route that he would pursue as he's from out east originally

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Just going by what MM said, To be more clear, he said all 3 OA's had said they'd be interested in coming back if they didn't have a contract, but that was sometime toward the end of last season.
What did you hear?
That JG was interested in going pro (like 100% of players) and was pursuing a pro contracts. From what I was told either swiss or Swedish leagues

Mar 12, 2009
That JG was interested in going pro (like 100% of players) and was pursuing a pro contracts. From what I was told either swiss or Swedish leagues
MM said he's going to Kings camp apparently. I found it interesting that he said nothing about keeping a spot open for him if he didn't make the AHL (and I kind of doubt he does), so I would imagine what you heard about Europe is likely true and he's gone regardless of whether he makes the AHL or not.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
this likely opens up 2 spots at camp. obvious front runners being Martin and Fishman, but excited to see if any 02 draft picks come or a free agent can open some eyes

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
Gareffa probably upset they are deep on defense so limited time if any for him back there. Too bad, leaves a big hole to fill or little skates if u will LOL. One of my favourites!!

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
I hope we find out about if Meireless is coming back, or not, in time to add an OA of Hawell's calibre (if the price is right) or maybe bring McHugh back in if we could get him for a tiny bit less than we gave up. Our coaching staff/playing style seemed to get a lot more out of Nick last year than Missisauga.'s.

Torgo, you have the right idea just wrong OA candidate.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
they definitely need to go for an OA. maybe one of the 6 from Sarnia

with the amount of teams with over 3 OAs right now, they can get one at a really low cost because teams aren’t going to healthy scratch some of these guys and are really looking for new spots for them

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
that really throws a wrench in the Rangers plans. they are now at least 2 good forwards away from being really good. gonna cost the farm to get them. only left wing as of now is Mike Petizian

It does throw a big wrench into the plans. As I have posted on here earlier, we don't have a lot of assets to throw around to improve this team. Had Joey returned, we'd be looking at picking up one high-end forward. Now, we are without a player who very well could've hit 100 points this year.

We are not going to replace Garreffa, and what he would've brought to the team, on the cheap. People here are suggesting that we could pick up an overager here or there. But are we going to pick up an overager who would've given us the offensive output that Joey would have?

If we do, it's not going to come cheap. This has me seriously reconsidering if we should even go all in this year or not. I said in prior posts that this team could be a contender but we would need all three overagers to return.

I feel we can contend for sure in 21-22. I also feel that we can also contend either in 19-20 OR 20-21. Would it make more sense to sell off this year and go all in the next two years?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Really going to miss Joe G; fun to watch on a weekly basis and always provided some good post game entertainment in his interviews.

Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It does throw a big wrench into the plans. As I have posted on here earlier, we don't have a lot of assets to throw around to improve this team. Had Joey returned, we'd be looking at picking up one high-end forward. Now, we are without a player who very well could've hit 100 points this year.

We are not going to replace Garreffa, and what he would've brought to the team, on the cheap. People here are suggesting that we could pick up an overager here or there. But are we going to pick up an overager who would've given us the offensive output that Joey would have?

If we do, it's not going to come cheap. This has me seriously reconsidering if we should even go all in this year or not. I said in prior posts that this team could be a contender but we would need all three overagers to return.

I feel we can contend for sure in 21-22. I also feel that we can also contend either in 19-20 OR 20-21. Would it make more sense to sell off this year and go all in the next two years?

it makes a lot of sense to try for 20-21 and 21-22. of the forwards we have now, Valade, Stepien, Petizian, Langdon, McDonnell, Pinelli are all likely to be here for all of those years. on D, Sebrango, Xhekaj, Ottavainen, Motew could all be here for that stretch too. 20-21 D core will have those 4 along with Vukojevic, MacPherson and maybe Roman Schmidt. likely losing Bergkvist after this season allows them to open an import spot for another forward.

I'm very happy with how the defence is shaping up for the next few seasons. There's no need to sell the whole team this year. will still be in that 3-5 spot and could push for the 2nd round and get the kids in some more playoff games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->