Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Meireles is now day-to-day according to Josh Brown on Twitter.

Injury bug is coming after our rangers hard.

Once again, I ask, "Does this happen to other teams?" This only happens to our star players seemingly every year. Do we have someone teaching our kids how to take a hit? Or is this a problem of not having a true "enforcer or 2" to keep things honest. I don't mean a standalone enforcer as those days are long gone. But I've mentioned player types such as Givani Smith who can also contribute.

I did not get a good look at any of the 3 injuries, and for all I know, they were either clean hits or just plain bad luck. But either the players need to learn more about what to do in certain situations or something has to be done about allowing opponents these opportunities of open ice hits.

Take this posting with a grain of salt as I am just letting my frustration show. Particularly since it is a year where we need to see how we look in the first half, yet having major pieces go down to injury at the same time.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Geo, it's a tough thing to post because many will dismiss it as homer whining, but I have been saying the same thing for years. Kitchener has to be amongst the OHL leaders in man games lost to injury every year. It seems we never have a full lineup. And often multiple key players missing. I wish I had the answer as to why, but I definitely don't think all teams have this track record.

Reactions: GeoBlue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It seems Kitchener’s consistently a smaller team in the league, especially recently.

I’d look over at Arber Xhekaj for protection. you can tell he wants to be that guy, but it seems like he fears that he’s always on thin ice to be in the press box the next game with the 7 defence

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Geo, it's a tough thing to post because many will dismiss it as homer whining, but I have been saying the same thing for years. Kitchener has to be amongst the OHL leaders in man games lost to injury every year. It seems we never have a full lineup. And often multiple key players missing. I wish I had the answer as to why, but I definitely don't think all teams have this track record.

Thanks Tim. I don't want to make it sound like homer whining. Definitely not my intention and if there are other posters reading this from other teams, I would appreciate it if they could post some examples of their top guns going down in the last few years. It would sure put my mind at ease. But if the Rangers are truly an aberration, then we need to look at other things such as fitness, knowing how to take a hit, the enforcer factor, team size, etc.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Thanks Tim. I don't want to make it sound like homer whining. Definitely not my intention and if there are other posters reading this from other teams, I would appreciate it if they could post some examples of their top guns going down in the last few years. It would sure put my mind at ease. But if the Rangers are truly an aberration, then we need to look at other things such as fitness, knowing how to take a hit, the enforcer factor, team size, etc.
In 2017 Spits had 7 starters out of their line -up including Logan Brown and Logan Stanley - hurt their chances to host a playoff round. Every team has injury issues, you guys just notice your team more.

Reactions: dirty12 and Torgo

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
A few prospects having some intriguing starts to their seasons:

Colin Purcell- Youngstown Phantoms USHL (0.870 save % through 3 games). USHL is IMO the best non major-junior league in NA. not great stat, but hopefully something he can improve on throughout the year and maybe come over next year.

Justin Wu- played 1 game in the NCDC, had a 0.872 and 6.00 GAA and has since been listed as an inactive player. weird

Roman Schmidt- 4 points in 11 games with the USDP. may seem underwhelming, but he is a 6’5 200+ pound 16 year old right shot d man on a strictly 16 year old team playing in a 16-20 year old league

Brenden Anderson- 7 points in 15 GOJHL games and 34 PIMs. 6’4 172 pounds, so there’s room to grow, could he play the Joe Rupoli 4LW role next year?

Matthew Sop- 15 points through 17 OJHL games with the Mississauga Chargers. leading 03s in scoring in that league. similar to how Declan McDonnell was doing last year.

Mitchell Martin- 14 points in 18 NOJHL games, good for 2nd in the league in rookie scoring. good size and room to grow as well. should be a lock to make it next year with the departures of the big 4 up front.

Mar 12, 2009
It seems Kitchener’s consistently a smaller team in the league, especially recently.

I’d look over at Arber Xhekaj for protection. you can tell he wants to be that guy, but it seems like he fears that he’s always on thin ice to be in the press box the next game with the 7 defence
I don't think that's exactly true. It wasn't until recently where we had a "smaller" team...even then, I recall fans complaining we were too small compared to London last year after a loss I believe, and a Knights fan had to point out the Rangers were a little bigger than London on average.
Hawel and Sebrango aren't small and they are the most recently injured. I don't think its a "not knowing how to take a hit" issue as Sebrango is one of our most consistent, best hitter and takes hits with no negative outcome on a regular basis. Our injuries in our run a couple seasons ago, when we had sizeable team, were mostly to our bigger players, including Connor Hall who had the worst injuries...while our smallest player in those years in Gareffa has the longest iron man streak in recent Ranger history. It's all about balance and while we could use improvements in that area, prescribing one thing (ie. size) as the issue lead to simple, broad solutions to a more nuanced problem.
In 2017 Spits had 7 starters out of their line -up including Logan Brown and Logan Stanley - hurt their chances to host a playoff round. Every team has injury issues, you guys just notice your team more.
While there is no doubt the Rangers have injuries often and it seems at inopportune times, I have to agree with this for the most part. It would be nice to do a league wide study to know for sure, but it's simply too time consuming to feel like actually doing.
I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the top half of the league, but I doubt we would be league leaders by a statistically highly significant degree. All that is to say, I don't really think the injuries are attributable to something wrong the staff is doing. .

Reactions: MediaCritic

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. In Ottawa, Nikita Okhotyuk just returned from injury, Graeme Clarke is out for the season (hence why we traded for Joey G), and Merrick Rippon is out for an extended period. It’s not just the Rangers. It’s junior hockey.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Logan Brown? Oh yes! You sent him to us! LOL!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

It’s probably more unlikely for teams to not suffer significant losses to injury each year. Though some stand out as very unlucky year to year. Last season Flint & Guelph seemed to always have key players out long term.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Joseph Garreffa speaks out about leaving Kitchener Rangers

Someone in that camp is delusional. 7 other guys also 'went for it' with pro teams. We could argue that some of those guys had better chances than Joey did. They were still at camp for a week.

If you're not drafted and don't have a contract, you are simply not in a position to forgo your junior camp

Yeah, some good PR work in that article...but at least, Garreffa maintains that being a defenseman was not an issue. That can be put to rest.

Reactions: BogeyJ

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Possible lineup for tonight......? I would think they'll leave Damiani and McDonnell together. Lots of opportunity for the younger players.

Francesco Pinelli-Ryan Stepien-Jonathan Yantsis

Reid Valade-Riley Damiani-Declan McDonnell

Isaac Langdon-Michael Petizian-Graham Dickerson

Joseph Rupoli-Joseph Serpa-Jesse Fishman

Michael Vukojevic-Ville Ottavainen

Justin MacPherson- Axel Bergkvist

Arber Xhekaj- Simon Motew

Jacob Ingham

Mar 12, 2009
Joseph Garreffa speaks out about leaving Kitchener Rangers

Someone in that camp is delusional. 7 other guys also 'went for it' with pro teams. We could argue that some of those guys had better chances than Joey did. They were still at camp for a week.

If you're not drafted and don't have a contract, you are simply not in a position to forgo your junior camp
It's especially weird to me because the vast majority of drafted kids who are going to pro camps, still go to their junior camp first. It's usually a first step in players getting ready for the coming season and for pro camps. I'd imagine skipping it makes it harder to hit the ground running at a pro camp, especially if you aren't drafted/signed (because it is unlikely a team is going to spend extra resources helping unaffiliated players train prior to their pro camps). Just a bizarre situation that seems born out of Joey's (over)confidence in this situation.

Fans can only speculate because they don't have inside info, but it's odd that everyone here seemed to have a better read on Joey's pro chances than those in his camp did (ie. that he wasn't quite ready for pro, outside of maybe ECHL and best off/likely end up back in the OHL).

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's especially weird to me because the vast majority of drafted kids who are going to pro camps, still go to their junior camp first. It's usually a first step in players getting ready for the coming season and for pro camps. I'd imagine skipping it makes it harder to hit the ground running at a pro camp, especially if you aren't drafted/signed (because it is unlikely a team is going to spend extra resources helping unaffiliated players train prior to their pro camps). Just a bizarre situation that seems born out of Joey's (over)confidence in this situation.

Fans can only speculate because they don't have inside info, but it's odd that everyone here seemed to have a better read on Joey's pro chances than those in his camp did (ie. that he wasn't quiteu ready for pro, outside of maybe ECHL and best off/likely end up back in the OHL).

Can somebody paraphrase the gist of the article? Many of us on fixed incomes, we don't subscribe to The Record. Not gonna be able to read this article. Thanks!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Possible lineup for tonight......? I would think they'll leave Damiani and McDonnell together. Lots of opportunity for the younger players.

Francesco Pinelli-Ryan Stepien-Jonathan Yantsis

Reid Valade-Riley Damiani-Declan McDonnell

Isaac Langdon-Michael Petizian-Graham Dickerson

Joseph Rupoli-Joseph Serpa-Jesse Fishman

Michael Vukojevic-Ville Ottavainen

Justin MacPherson- Axel Bergkvist

Arber Xhekaj- Simon Motew

Jacob Ingham
I was thinking potentially Pinelli gets a look at centre

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Mar 12, 2009
Can somebody paraphrase the gist of the article? Many of us on fixed incomes, we don't subscribe to The Record. Not gonna be able to read this article. Thanks!
Neither do I, my limit was up on laptop so I switched to my phone and was able to read it.

Basically, after the season, over the summer he discussed things with his parents and whomever and he decided he was ready for pro and wanted to fully pursue it, and had no intention of coming back to the OHL. He was confident he could make a go of it, and it was only recently when it didn't work out and his only option was maybe a chance at ECHL, he decided the OHL was an option again. Said he has no ill will toward the Rangers and said rumors that he was unhappy playing forward in Kitchener were untrue, that he is "set" at forward for Ottawa this year.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

no hard feelings on either side, wasn’t worried about playing defence, thought he could’ve made it pro and went all in for it

Reactions: EvenSteven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad