Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Neither do I, my limit was up on laptop so I switched to my phone and was able to read it.

Basically, after the season, over the summer he discussed things with his parents and whomever and he decided he was ready for pro and wanted to fully pursue it, and had no intention of coming back to the OHL. He was confident he could make a go of it, and it was only recently when it didn't work out and his only option was maybe a chance at ECHL, he decided the OHL was an option again. Said he has no ill will toward the Rangers and said rumors that he was unhappy playing forward in Kitchener were untrue, that he is "set" at forward for Ottawa this year.

Not sure how tech savvy you and Even are, but if it helps, delete all the cookies from The Record and you should be able to get your full quota again. ;-)

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I think Joe was a fantastic player for the Rangers. He was versatile and could play defence, or fill any forward spot necessary.He was awesome in the Community too. The fans loved him and for good reason. His compete level and skill level are huge.

The one line in the article that stood out for me was the one where he said at the end of the season, you sit down and talk to your parents on how the season went and what the next step is. He said he was felt he was ready to go pro and wanted to give it a shot.

I feel it came down to parental pressure. Joseph didn't want to disappoint his dad. It's unfortunate that things turned out this way, but I don't put any of it on Joseph.

Joseph is still a great player. He will play pro one day. Ottawa fans will love him. Rangers fans will miss him. I wish Joseph nothing but the best. He's a great kid.

rav24

Mar 21, 2016
Not sure how tech savvy you and Even are, but if it helps, delete all the cookies from The Record and you should be able to get your full quota again. ;-)

A new tab in incognito usually works as well.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Greg could be playing tonight. In this video the equipment team has his gear setup.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
LINEUP for tonight............I was close.............didn't expect to see Pinelli move down a line.

Valade-Petizian-Yantsis
Pinelli-Damiani-McDonnell
Stepien-Langdon-Dickerson
Rupoli-Serpa-Fishman

Vukojevic-MacPherson

Ottavainen-Bergkvist

Xhekaj-Motew Ingham starts.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers started out great in the first. The Ottawa goals in the second and the fight really woke the 67s up. Rangers are missing a lot of top guns and Valade took a wicked puck to the face. Hopefully they get composed and come out better in the third. Wish that Ottawa play by play guy would look at the players names and pronounce their names properly. Sounds like Don Cherry.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Rangers started out great in the first. The Ottawa goals in the second and the fight really woke the 67s up. Rangers are missing a lot of top guns and Valade took a wicked puck to the face. Hopefully they get composed and come out better in the third. Wish that Ottawa play by play guy would look at the players names and pronounce their names properly. Sounds like Don Cherry.

Yes, Petrrrrrrrezian! LOL! It was McDonnell that got the puck in the face. Valade got in to the scrap. Always makes me antsy when a guy that just came back from a concussion gets punches in the face.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Wish that Ottawa play by play guy would look at the players names and pronounce their names properly.

Ugh, he got the memo on JackEye but sees Petizian, says 'PetReezian' even after the other guy says it right :huh::help:

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers won the first. Lost the second. Thought two calls against them were a bit cheap. Joey gets his stick knocked of his hand. Third time he lost it in the game. Seemed a little suspicious. Anyway they get scored on three times. The third was a bit of a toss up but I thought the 67 had the better period. Rangers missing key pieces didn't help. Hoefenmeyer(sp) is one hell of a good player

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
all parts of this team are showing flashes of something that could be good.

a positive (i guess?) note- the 2 biggest things they need to improve IMO on are things that 2nd round draft picks can’t buy- discipline and playing the full 60 minutes

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
No excuses here. Sure there might of been a couple chintzy penalties against. But as we all know, for a long time now, referees in this league referee the score. When a score starts to go lopsided, like when we went up 3-0, both teams know what's coming. Refs will look for ways not to give the losing team penalties and look for ways to penalize the team with the lead. Everybody knows this is coming.

Therefore two things need to happen: first of all, don't put yourself in a position to take these chintzy penalties. Garreffa dropping a stick? Why wouldn't he? As a team that is behind, they also know it wouldn't take much to get a power-play. If we don't slash his stick, we don't take a penalty.

Second of all, you're going to have to get your special teams in order for these eventualities. If we know we're going to take a few penalties in a row when we have the lead, then get the PK to the point where it's not that big a deal when we find ourselves shorthanded.

And as far as the excuse goes where we are missing players. Sure it hurts when three of our better players are out of the lineup. But if we are going to be a top contender this year, which we strive to be, we're going to have to be a deep team. If we are so good that we are going to be a top contender, everybody else needs to be able to step up. We did that early in the game. We got to 3-0 despite missing the players who were out of the lineup.

Hey. We're a pretty good team. One of the better teams in the conference. But we're not yet at a point where we can be the top contender in this conference. If we want to get there, we need at least one if not two additions to the team.

Sure, we need to stay healthy. Get our special teams in order. Play 60 minutes. Our power-play is nowhere near what it was last year. We weren't a contender last year. As a matter of fact, it could be argued that we wouldn't have been half as good as we were last year had our power-play not been number one in the league.

Oh and one more thing. Who the heck is responsible for making sure these players, no matter who the player is and the likelihood or not they'll drop the gloves, have their tie downs TIED DOWN!! Jeez!! Not only did we lose the trade off in Valade vs Belanger, and maybe the fight, we lose Valade for an extra 10 because someone didn't do their job.

This is on the player too. But as much of the blame has to go on the equipment guys. I remember years ago watching Sarnia's equipment manager working on Marco Caprara and his tie down before a game over and over until he got it right.

Sure Valade likely didn't expect to be into one, unlike Caprara back in the day, but it's the same penalty today that it was back then. These guys have to remember that anything can happen during a game and therefore, you have to be prepared. That penalty cannot happen again.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I don't think you can dismiss the players we had missing and still beat Ottawa especially in their barn. Not sure what the record is but I am sure the Rangers always seem to have a time winning games in Ottawa even with decently skilled teams. A couple of the leaders on the Ranger weren't that noticeable in the second and third.
I would have liked to have seen more push back and grit from Yantsis , Vuk and Damian as an example. The third period was their chance to step up but I think the 67s were more motivated. They have shown they are a team on the rise with a few huge come backs in games lately. This is huge going forward if as some say they had players missing also.

Reactions: GeoBlue

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Lack of discipline was the reason for the loss. Selfish plays gave the 67s consecutive power plays and they scored on them.

When you get a lead on the road, you have to play a team game and lock that lead down.

Some good efforts were lost by some selfish, undisciplined plays.

It might be just me, But I thought "Petrizian" had a good game.

Reactions: GeoBlue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't think you can dismiss the players we had missing and still beat Ottawa especially in their barn. Not sure what the record is but I am sure the Rangers always seem to have a time winning games in Ottawa even with decently skilled teams. A couple of the leaders on the Ranger weren't that noticeable in the second and third.
I would have liked to have seen more push back and grit from Yantsis , Vuk and Damian as an example. The third period was their chance to step up but I think the 67s were more motivated. They have shown they are a team on the rise with a few huge come backs in games lately. This is huge going forward if as some say they had players missing also.

Yes, historically we've had a hard time winning in Ottawa. But we have also usually played on the Sunday after having already played a couple times. Especially when Belleville was still in the league, frequently we would be playing in Ottawa on Sunday afternoon after having played Friday Saturday in Belleville Kingston. It was refreshing to get a start on a Friday in Ottawa where both teams would've been fresh.

Reactions: rangersblues

Junior Fan

Jan 22, 2019
I personally think the Rangers need to cut ties with Xhekaj. Watching not only last nights game but games through out all season so far, he is constantly turning the puck over, getting caught and taking really bad penalties at bad times. Hes not a true OHL calibre d-man and has been given more than enough of an opportunity but its time to let him go.

Reactions: Uncle

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
With OS releasing Kirill Nizhnikov how would you feel if we where to sign him. He has 6 points in 10 games this year. He is 6’2 and 190n lbs. He could definitely add some size to our lineup and play on our 3rd line. However it appears that he might be heading back to Russia given what he did last year.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
With OS releasing Kirill Nizhnikov how would you feel if we where to sign him. He has 6 points in 10 games this year. He is 6’2 and 190n lbs. He could definitely add some size to our lineup and play on our 3rd line. However it appears that he might be heading back to Russia given what he did last year.

a few concerns with him. one, why does every team he plays for release or trade him in a year or less? two, does he fit the style of play Jay McKee wants from the 3rd line? Petizian, Stepien, Langdon are all work horse 2-way players. he would have to take away a top 6 spot from McDonnell or Pinelli (with a fully healthy lineup) which I don’t see as necessary this early

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I personally think the Rangers need to cut ties with Xhekaj. Watching not only last nights game but games through out all season so far, he is constantly turning the puck over, getting caught and taking really bad penalties at bad times. Hes not a true OHL calibre d-man and has been given more than enough of an opportunity but its time to let him go.

I like this player a lot. Actually, I like this type of player a lot. But he's fast becoming our 7th D.

We have our top four. Then Ottavainen is easily #5 at worst. Once Motew gets some more experience, he'll have passed him on the depth chart too. Especially going into next year.

For me, if Xhekaj doesn't soon get it together, when we continue to buy in this "all in" season, we should look to bring in an inexpensive, veteran D in the mold of a Kyle Gentles. A safe stay at home guy who won't mind the third pairing on a contender.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The role of Xhekaj is concerning over the next couple of years. 6/7 defence are slotted to be back next year, and I’m not completely sold that Axel Bergkvist plays in the AHL quite yet, but it’s still early. MM hopes to add Roman Schmidt next year and he will certainly have to be guaranteed some minutes if he’s coming here.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I like this player a lot. Actually, I like this type of player a lot. But he's fast becoming our 7th D.

We have our top four. Then Ottavainen is easily #5 at worst. Once Motew gets some more experience, he'll have passed him on the depth chart too. Especially going into next year.

For me, if Xhekaj doesn't soon get it together, when we continue to buy in this "all in" season, we should look to bring in an inexpensive, veteran D in the mold of a Kyle Gentles. A safe stay at home guy who won't mind the third pairing on a contender.

I’d say performance wise that Ville is the #3 right now behind Vuk and Sebrango

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Big crowd in Kingston tonight...

Looking forward to seeing Wright. Is he more in the Tavares/McDavid tier of exceptional status, or is he more in the Veleno/Day group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad