Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Big crowd in Kingston tonight...

Looking forward to seeing Wright. Is he more in the Tavares/McDavid tier of exceptional status, or is he more in the Veleno/Day group?

I feel like the expectation with these guys is always (or should be) Tavares/McDavid. it’s not until later on in their junior careers that we find out if they’re that or not

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Finally a road wn. Rangers seemed undisciplined but I think Kingston contributed to that cause. Testosterone. It doesn't look good for the league seeing these empty barns on the tube. It begs the question how does the league or the franchise do a better job selling OHL hockey in some of these cities?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Finally a road wn. Rangers seemed undisciplined but I think Kingston contributed to that cause. Testosterone. It doesn't look good for the league seeing these empty barns on the tube. It begs the question how does the league or the franchise do a better job selling OHL hockey in some of these cities?

I was in Kingston for the winter in 2018, the team and attendance were very good at that time.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I was in Kingston for the winter in 2018, the team and attendance were very good at that time.
Barn looked almost empty last night. It is a hard sell to fill some of these rinks with cost of every thing rising yearly. Not just for games but over all. Kingston is a great city. It just seems a shame to see all the empty seats in these big venues.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Barn looked almost empty last night. It is a hard sell to fill some of these rinks with cost of every thing rising yearly. Not just for games but over all. Kingston is a great city. It just seems a shame to see all the empty seats in these big venues.

3000 short of the capacity last night.. yikes. it does seem like they pack it in there with a contending team however. but even with Shane Wright, this team hasn’t been something to watch since the 2018 run

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

I wouldn't be so worried about them as they must be doing something right. They have been in the league since 1973 and in the same city. Not like some other franchises that seem to pack up and move shop every few years.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I defy anyone to name a team in the western conference that is significantly better. We already beat what is considered the beast of the east in Ottawa. Like someone said, the "A" level player upgrades aren't really there this year, especially if Hayton isn't returned. We may be in a decent position to compete without emptying our draft cupboard. I personally think we need to add a shutdown dman or two.

I've complained for years that this team doesn't compete. Let's give them a chance to see if they can at least.

Pre season, the consensus was Saginaw, London and Kitchener would occupy the top of the conference. Despite the standings, I still believe that to be true (but we can't sleep on Flint).

No, the other two aren't significantly better than us. But their asset base is. Much better. London has six 2nds With the Porco trade, Saginaw has seven 2nds available for trade. We have three. Sure we have more 3rds, but it's 2nd rounders that teams want to get deals done.

This has to be taken into consideration when debating strength of team.

There are guys out here who can be considered A level player upgrades. Akil Thomas may be the best who'll surely be available if Hayton isn't returned. But you're right. There aren't a lot. But that'll only be bad for us because that means the price will go up on them. A price that we won't be able to afford. Saginaw and London have the assets to take their teams to a place significantly better than ours. If they make the deals to do that, I'm expecting we run into one of them in the second round and have a hard time beating them.

A second round exit isn't my idea of a successful "all in" year.

Reactions: bobber

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
the way the trades have been doing (2 x 2nds, 2 x 3rds, 5th and a meh player for 2 years of an NHL draft pick and an 02 d man) it doesn’t look like it will be as expensive as it was last season to go all in. cupboard is still thin however

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
the way the trades have been doing (2 x 2nds, 2 x 3rds, 5th and a meh player for 2 years of an NHL draft pick and an 02 d man) it doesn’t look like it will be as expensive as it was last season to go all in. cupboard is still thin however

Porco ain't no Thomas.

Tomasino will be much more expensive than Thomas, being a year younger.

Reactions: dirty12

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It definitely won’t be cheap to get either of them. but the way the market is trending compared to last year, they might be able to get something done

Not including the additional parts of the deal (the other players involved and lower picks), the return was four 2nds, three thirds for Robertson, the most expensive player leading up to last year's trade deadline.

I doubt very much that Jacob Paquette was worth Konstantinou, Martin, and all the rest of the picks. So that means that some of that may also be attributed to the Robertson side of that acquisition meaning Robertson likely went for more than the seconds and thirds. That was just last year. So obviously, we can assume an elite, available 19-year-old forward will be worth a comparable price this year. Thomas and Hayton will fall in that category.

We don't have the four seconds. I suppose a bunch of extra thirds might get a deal done, or a quality young player. But when one of London or Saginaw decides they want those players, and can offer better packages, that'll take us out of the running.

Guelph got a great deal for Suzuki and the others. Are we going to take a chance and wait around till the 11th hour to see if that can happen for us? That other contenders like London last year will burn through cards not allowing them to be in the running at the eleventh hour? I'm not holding my breath.

Sure it would be nice if a gift fell into our lap like it did a few years ago when Puempel wanted out of Peterboro and would only come to Kitchener. Spott only paid two 2nds for him. Great deal for us. The bad thing about it was that Spott thought he could get any other high end player for the same price and refused to pay more. That cost us in the bidding for Austin Watson and Alan Quine in successive years.

I'm not holding my breath on that happening either.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With limited assets I can't see the Rangers going on any spending spree this season. It's the same every season. The teams with the most disposable assets make the deals for the top skilled avaliable players. Rangers are not in that class at the moment.

True. And suppose we do burn through the 2nds and 3rds we have in the cupboard, is the trade of Vukojovic, the only graduating player of consequence next year, going to replace what we have now? Three 2nds and nine 3rds?

I think not.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
the way the lines were set up last night, it looks like they are holding auditions for the 3rd line with a fully healthy lineup. Pinelli, Meireles, Yantsis, Hawel, Damiani are presumably all locks for the top 6. assuming they add another top 6, the top 2 lines are set.

that leaves Stepien, Valade, Langdon, McDonnell, Petizian fighting for the 3rd line/shut down line. 2 of them would have to be 4th liners. while it’s nice to have that depth, the upfront scoring is what they need more if they want to be for real. I say one of these guys has got to be apart of a trade or else all the picks used to get Hawel and Ingham are down the drain for nothing

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
the way the lines were set up last night, it looks like they are holding auditions for the 3rd line with a fully healthy lineup. Pinelli, Meireles, Yantsis, Hawel, Damiani are presumably all locks for the top 6. assuming they add another top 6, the top 2 lines are set.

that leaves Stepien, Valade, Langdon, McDonnell, Petizian fighting for the 3rd line/shut down line. 2 of them would have to be 4th liners. while it’s nice to have that depth, the upfront scoring is what they need more if they want to be for real. I say one of these guys has got to be apart of a trade or else all the picks used to get Hawel and Ingham are down the drain for nothing

It seems that McDonnell has a spot on a line with Damiani and Hawel. Adding a top six F would bump Pinelli out of the top six and onto the third line. He, Valade and Petizian would be a dangerous third line.

That would put Langdon and Stepien on the fourth with one of Serpa/Dickerson/Fishman.

That would be four strong lines.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Sounds like Meireles should be good to go for Owen Sound this Friday but as of then we will be down Francesco Pinelli for the U17s

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I know it’s early, and I know his opposition in the three games he’s played is a collective 17 wins in 41 games (including the Rangers who have only won six times in 13 games), but Joey is averaging over two points a game.

That’s better than any of our OA’s. That’s actually better than anybody on our team. I know he may or may not keep that pace up, but he’s doing quite well with his new team. We could use that offence here in Kitchener - especially on the PP.

Just sayin.

One curious question I have is that had we not traded for Hawel as quick as we did, and Joey found himself in the position he was in sitting at home last week, would he have come back to Kitchener with the Rangers only having two OA’s on the roster? Would the team have him back?

I’m not sure if this question was asked of him in the interview with Farwell last weekend, but I’d be interested to know.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I know it’s early, and I know his opposition in the three games he’s played is a collective 17 wins in 41 games (including the Rangers who have only won six times in 13 games), but Joey is averaging over two points a game.

That’s better than any of our OA’s. That’s actually better than anybody on our team. I know he may or may not keep that pace up, but he’s doing quite well with his new team. We could use that offence here in Kitchener - especially on the PP.

Just sayin.

One curious question I have is that had we not traded for Hawel as quick as we did, and Joey found himself in the position he was in sitting at home last week, would he have come back to Kitchener with the Rangers only having two OA’s on the roster? Would the team have him back?

I’m not sure if this question was asked of him in the interview with Farwell last weekend, but I’d be interested to know.

with the draft pick situation I’m sure they would’ve welcomed him with open arms

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
with the draft pick situation I’m sure they would’ve welcomed him with open arms

But would he have wanted to come back? Or was he done here.

Speaking of our draft pick situation:

Including the Garreffa trade, these are the high picks that the teams thought to contend this year have in the cupboard:

Team - 2nds - 3rds.

Flint 6-7
Kitchener 3-9
London 6-5
Oshawa 11-3
Ottawa 6-4
Peterboro 6-6
Saginaw 5-2
Sudbury 5-4

Kitchener is at a distinct disadvantage over most of the other teams in this group. They do have nine 3rds. That could make up for their lack of 2nds when you compare what they have versus that of Saginaw and maybe Sudbury.

At the end of the day, if we’re really all in, I can see us having to move at least one young quality player.

No way we deal Pinelli. Otherwise, I’m thinking MM has to listen to offers where any other young player among our 02’s, are involved.

I understand that these players have no trade clauses. However, those have been waived in the past.

For example, would MacDonnell accept a trade to Niagara? That’s close to his home and could be a landing spot in any deal for Thomas or, should he be put on the block, Tomasino.

Just throwing it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad