Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
That is correct. The database was updated after the Hawel trade.

And having looked at the database, Ottawa has six 2nds over the next five years. Too bad we couldn't have hooked one of them in this deal. Perhaps MM was offered one, but just one and that's it. Maybe MM figured it better to have extra 3rds. Not complaining though.

We have no 2nd in the next draft but three 3rds. Since we are buying this year and not selling off vets, I don't see a scenario where we acquire a 2020 second so I hope we're able to hang onto the three 3rds.

Of course, there is the possibility of dealing for a 2020 2nd before the draft but that usually involves sending extra picks the other way.

I doubt we have all 3 3rds come April. a rebuilding team would probably want the picks for this year to help build the foundation

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I think MM lost this trade. I look at precedents and I dont think we got fair value imo. I've liked MM dealings since taking over but this one leaves me a little unfulfilled. I understand we as fans tend to over value or own players but it's a 85 point winger/pp quarterback were talking about here, and its unfair to compare him to hawel as they are completely different players that bring different tangibles. I just think we lost this trade. But yes I'm glad we got some picks for what was seemingly a player who wasnt supposed to come back to begin with..

To my point.. JG has 3 points this afternoon already.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Since we are in a contender mindset, here are some pieces that could be available. Barrett Hayton, I believe he is not coming back so the top piece available for this years trade deadline is now gone. Ty Dellandrea, with the trades for Lalonde and Popovich they also think that they are contenders. So Ty is also off the block. Akil Thomas, I think we lose in a bidding war to OTT. With OHLInsider reporting that OTT has heavy interest in him and a massive cupboard of draft picks I think we lose that bidding war 9/10 times. With OSH hot start I believe Serron Noel and Allen McShane are probably off the block as well. So this leaves us with tier b’s. Now I would not mind us acquiring a Tyler Angle or Curtis Douglas however these guys could be worth what the tier a guys would go for. Personally I would not pay 2x2nds 3x3rds and a 17 year old for a tier b. A tier b should be worth about 2nd 2x3rds and maybe a fridge 17/18 year old. Some tier c’s Maxim Golod, Paved Gogolev, Mitchell Russell or Chad Yetman. Any one of these guys should go for 2x3rds and a combination of a 4th/5th/6th. However like mentioned earlier these guys could be become worth like a tier b because of the lack of if not zero tier A’s.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm really torn on what MM should do going forward. On one hand this is a really good team and a wide(ish) open season but on the other the young talent looks to better than a lot of what we have had in the last couple of years and due to that maybe it makes more sense to stock up to get the best team possible for when they are at their OHL peaks.. A lot of moving parts to consider.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I doubt we have all 3 3rds come April. a rebuilding team would probably want the picks for this year to help build the foundation

I don't expect us to have all three. But one can wish. I saw what the Rangers did using three 4ths in the last draft. We got a couple good ones in Motew and Fishman. We'll see about Martin.

If we did the same thing with three 3rds next draft, but come out a little bit higher end, because we're talking 3rds vs 4ths, it would ease the pain of not having a second rounder.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think MM lost this trade. I look at precedents and I dont think we got fair value imo. I've liked MM dealings since taking over but this one leaves me a little unfulfilled. I understand we as fans tend to over value or own players but it's a 85 point winger/pp quarterback were talking about here, and its unfair to compare him to hawel as they are completely different players that bring different tangibles. I just think we lost this trade. But yes I'm glad we got some picks for what was seemingly a player who wasnt supposed to come back to begin with..

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, based on the team is playing for and the linemates he has, that he outpoints anybody on our roster this season - at least PPG.

Reactions: BogeyJ

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
MM is at the point of no turning back. He got Ingham, who's stood on his head to date. Drafted a likely one and done in the import draft in Bergkvist. lost Garreffa and replaced him with Hawel, which costed more than we got for Garreffa. no 2nd this year.

It was mentioned above about the tier B guys like Angle and Douglas. I like that idea. Our top guys are underrated as "tier A" players because they are either OAs, late NHL draft picks, or both. Once the 1A/1B of Meireles/Yantsis and Damiani/Hawel get healthy and start rolling all at once, they will be dangerous. Pinelli is the best 16 year old we've seen here in a while. the depth scoring is good and will improve with a trade or 2.

maybe say a scoring guy like Tyler Angle and a depth piece in Daylon Groulx, Lineup shapes out like:

Angle-Damiani-Hawel
Pinelli-Meireles-Yantsis
Valade-Petizian-Groulx
McDonnell-Langdon-Stepien
Fishman Serpa

Vuk-Ottavainen
MacPherson-Sebrango
Bergkvist-Xhekaj/Motew
Rupoli

maybe you throw Serpa in to one of those trades to reduce the number of picks

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm really torn on what MM should do going forward. On one hand this is a really good team and a wide(ish) open season but on the other the young talent looks to better than a lot of what we have had in the last couple of years and due to that maybe it makes more sense to stock up to get the best team possible for when they are at their OHL peaks.. A lot of moving parts to consider.

I think it's a little late trying to figure what MM should do. He made his decision. I far as I'm concerned, when he dealt away the assets he did to bring in Ingham and Hawel, instead of moving the OA three, he was in "all in" mode.

To go in the opposite direction now, and be at a place where we could have been after the last deadline (when I advocated we sell off this year's OA's), is going to be very, very hard to do.

Had he sold off the OA three last January, or even in the summer and not done the Ingham deal, we'd have a massively stocked cupboard plus what we gave up for Ingham/Hawel.

This year would be another year like last year. A decent, middle of the pack team who would be a force the following two seasons with a cornucopia of assets with which to become elite - not to mention an elite player (and maybe WJC player) who he could move at this deadline.

Instead, he kept the OA three, dealt for Ingham/Hawel, and have a less than envious cupboard of draft picks (the Garreffa deal not withstanding), with which to buy hard, up to and at the deadline. Today, unless we chose to include higher end youth, we lose just about every bidding war for elite available players.

To trade for secondary players as was suggested above, while watching the other contenders in our conference who are probably better than us now (ie Saginaw) or have such a vast asset base available (ie London), outbid us for elite players making it even harder for us to get where we want to go.

And when it's all done, have an empty cupboard going forward.

I'm not saying we don't have a shot at winning the conference. But it'll take a lot more than whoever we can afford to bring in at the deadline to get it done.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think it's a little late trying to figure what MM should do. He made his decision. I far as I'm concerned, when he dealt away the assets he did to bring in Ingham and Hawel, instead of moving the OA three, he was in "all in" mode.

To go in the opposite direction now, and be at a place where we could have been after the last deadline (when I advocated we sell off this year's OA's), is going to be very, very hard to do.

Had he sold off the OA three last January, or even in the summer and not done the Ingham deal, we'd have a massively stocked cupboard plus what we gave up for Ingham/Hawel.

This year would be another year like last year. A decent, middle of the pack team who would be a force the following two seasons with a cornucopia of assets with which to become elite - not to mention an elite player (and maybe WJC player) who he could move at this deadline.

Instead, he kept the OA three, dealt for Ingham/Hawel, and have a less than envious cupboard of draft picks (the Garreffa deal not withstanding), with which to buy hard, up to and at the deadline. Today, unless we chose to include higher end youth, we lose just about every bidding war for elite available players.

To trade for secondary players as was suggested above, while watching the other contenders in our conference who are probably better than us now (ie Saginaw) or have such a vast asset base available (ie London), outbid us for elite players making it even harder for us to get where we want to go.

And when it's all done, have an empty cupboard going forward.

I'm not saying we don't have a shot at winning the conference. But it'll take a lot more than whoever we can afford to bring in at the deadline to get it done.

I’m getting a feeling Isaac Langdon will be on his way out if they can find a team he’s willing to go to. his names been brought up twice this year already (SDA, Constantinou). as it stands right now, he’s getting outplayed by 9 forwards and if we continue to add, he will go farther and farther down the totem pole

K2

Jun 11, 2015
It wouldn't surprise me in the least, based on the team is playing for and the linemates he has, that he outpoints anybody on our roster this season - at least PPG.

Could easily be, he's never been a slouch and being a stud playmaker on a roster like the 67's have will only amplify what we've seen. Heck, one game as a 67 and he already leads the league with a whopping 3.0 PPG ;)

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Since we are in a contender mindset, here are some pieces that could be available. Barrett Hayton, I believe he is not coming back so the top piece available for this years trade deadline is now gone. Ty Dellandrea, with the trades for Lalonde and Popovich they also think that they are contenders. So Ty is also off the block. Akil Thomas, I think we lose in a bidding war to OTT. With OHLInsider reporting that OTT has heavy interest in him and a massive cupboard of draft picks I think we lose that bidding war 9/10 times. With OSH hot start I believe Serron Noel and Allen McShane are probably off the block as well. So this leaves us with tier b’s. Now I would not mind us acquiring a Tyler Angle or Curtis Douglas however these guys could be worth what the tier a guys would go for. Personally I would not pay 2x2nds 3x3rds and a 17 year old for a tier b. A tier b should be worth about 2nd 2x3rds and maybe a fridge 17/18 year old. Some tier c’s Maxim Golod, Paved Gogolev, Mitchell Russell or Chad Yetman. Any one of these guys should go for 2x3rds and a combination of a 4th/5th/6th. However like mentioned earlier these guys could be become worth like a tier b because of the lack of if not zero tier A’s.
I think we will see Hayton return. Arizona is playing really well with him out of the lineup. He has dressed for two games only. Why would they pull an older player out of a winning lineup to insert a 19 year old and blow the first year of a three year contract. Keeping him does not add up.

Mar 12, 2009
It's 10 games in and having been here for several years, it's about the time I expect the "sky is falling" takes. It's kind of odd that the pessimism suddenly spiked during a period of down time after a couple of injuries, on a non game day only at the moment a trade occurred (when it was questionable said player would return to the league). I suspect the idea of wasting our picks by contending versus the idea that we should spend those assets to acquire talent sooner than later, will flip flop several times in the coming weeks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I think the rangers did well enough in the trade. It seems there are more OA available than wanted.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's 10 games in and having been here for several years, it's about the time I expect the "sky is falling" takes. It's kind of odd that the pessimism suddenly spiked during a period of down time after a couple of injuries, on a non game day only at the moment a trade occurred (when it was questionable said player would return to the league). I suspect the idea of wasting our picks by contending versus the idea that we should spend those assets to acquire talent sooner than later, will flip flop several times in the coming weeks.

Yup. You're right. This "sky is falling" is right on schedule.

But truth be told, we are not in an optimal position to go all in large based on our asset base - specially since the consensus on here is that we don't want to trade anyway any of our quality youth.

We need an elite forward upfront. For me, a B acquisition might not be enough. We don't need to do anything like what Guelph did last year. But we do need the top six elite forward and a little depth on defence wouldn't hurt either. I'd take a B acquisition on the back end though. It wouldn't be too expensive.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

I agree with you 100%. However, my concern is that, personally, I still think there is a wait and see as to how we do approaching the trade deadline, and whether we become sellers or not at that point. Sure, obviously MM is going "all in" right now but realistically, if we are in the bottom half of the pack in January, we need to think about selling. But thinking along these lines, we just lost Hawel and Sebrango for "possibly" a month or so and this gives us a month or so less time to assess what we really have here.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Yup. You're right. This "sky is falling" is right on schedule.

But truth be told, we are not in an optimal position to go all in large based on our asset base - specially since the consensus on here is that we don't want to trade anyway any of our quality youth.

We need an elite forward upfront. For me, a B acquisition might not be enough. We don't need to do anything like what Guelph did last year. But we do need the top six elite forward and a little depth on defence wouldn't hurt either. I'd take a B acquisition on the back end though. It wouldn't be too expensive.

Yup, these next couple of months will tell the tale...and unfortunately with two key Rangers out for possibly a month....it's not going to be as strong an indicator of where the team could go. MM won't sell the farm and I have a feeling that there's a sell plan in place with an eye to 2020-2021...and that would mean holding onto our quality youth. The sell would certainly focus on our OAs....maybe Damiani?....and might mean moving Ingham if possible....and getting Wu up here with Pfeil for the last part of the season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Yup, these next couple of months will tell the tale...and unfortunately with two key Rangers out for possibly a month....it's not going to be as strong an indicator of where the team could go. MM won't sell the farm and I have a feeling that there's a sell plan in place with an eye to 2020-2021...and that would mean holding onto our quality youth. The sell would certainly focus on our OAs....maybe Damiani?....and might mean moving Ingham if possible....and getting Wu up here with Pfeil for the last part of the season.

if there’s a sell, it better include Damiani and at least 1 of the OAs. that will give the Rangers plenty of picks. next year we see where we’re at, if it’s looking like we will be “good but not good enough to go all the way” we trade Vuks and we have ourselves a whole lot of picks and the core of the team is Valade, Pinelli, Sebrango and co.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I don’t see a sell off coming at this point. Too far into the buy plan.

Think of it this way
We didn’t sell last year:
Meireles, Yantsis so we gave up potential assets
We traded for:
Ingham and Hawel and gave up multiple 2nds and more

If we sell, we are just shifting assets around, not gaining anything because you won’t sell all of the expiring assets we have.

Buy now and hope we sell Vukojevic next year or in the previously discussed 2 part deal. Ingham could come back next year, that’d be a good sell option.

Seems like a lot of sellers this year? Or am I wrong on that?

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And now for something completely different........USHER "REDEPLOYMENT". Many if not most in and around my section are NOT pleased that our usher......who's been a staple and part of our game experience....has been moved elsewhere. Not sure if any of you are of the same mind but WE are not happy about it. I nicely complained (honestly, I did...I don't think I even said "idiotic").

Here's the answer I got back...all about training...safety...blah blah....which, yes needs to take place....but permanently moving an usher who has been on the job for over 13 years and is considered a member of many a family does not make sense from a customer service and satisfaction point-of-view. Here goes......and you too can
e-mail this person about your section if you so wish.........

" Allow me to share some details regarding the redeployment of our ushers and why it’s so important.
We are lucky enough to have a loyal and long term team of ushers here at The Aud, however we see close to ten resignations or retirements every season and can hire upwards of twenty new ushers during the summer months. . In order to ensure that we have a well-trained and knowledgeable ushering team who know the building and it's varied stairwells, washrooms, rental spaces and entrances, and can be affective for every event we host, this ongoing training is imperative .

This training also means that ushers become well versed in our many exits which would be necessary during possible emergency or evacuation type situations. When we have to work alongside Waterloo Region Police or Emergency Services, it would behoove us to have staff that are not effective during an emergency situation or cannot move throughout the venue with confidence.

Our goal is to have a well-trained, friendly, competent roster of staff that can be deployed and utilized in whatever capacity they are needed; Rangers games, Titans basketball, concerts, trade shows and all the other special events we host. We thank you for your understanding and support while we continue to provide the coaching that our staff need to make this a reality.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us and I hope you continue to enjoy the season.
Regards,
Nikki Tremblay
Events & Guest Services Assistant Supervisor | The Aud & Arenas|Sport Division|City of Kitchener
519-741-2200 ex. 5266| TTY 1-866-969-9994 |[email protected]

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
I think it's a good idea to move the staff around, if they are in the same area all the time I think they get complacent, even maybe favoring STH over the occasional fan.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I don’t see a sell off coming at this point. Too far into the buy plan.

Think of it this way
We didn’t sell last year:
Meireles, Yantsis so we gave up potential assets
We traded for:
Ingham and Hawel and gave up multiple 2nds and more

If we sell, we are just shifting assets around, not gaining anything because you won’t sell all of the expiring assets we have.

Buy now and hope we sell Vukojevic next year or in the previously discussed 2 part deal. Ingham could come back next year, that’d be a good sell option.

Seems like a lot of sellers this year? Or am I wrong on that?

There is always a sell plan. Theoretically, if we are sitting in last place near the trade deadline, then what do you do? The value for the OA's, Damiani, Vuk, etc will not be as high. But you gotta at least sell the OA's?

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
570 News morning show stated there was somewhere on FB that one can sell their Ranger tickets but I am not seeing it? Ready to start my own marketplace page. :-(

Reactions: K2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad