Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
From previous thread "his “next guy up” theory is very risky considering the state of the team. this would’ve been a lot better to try last season."

Disagree with this as I think this is a fine season to do this (and now is needed) and we kind of did that last season too.

There wasn't really anyone to be the next guy up last season outside of the top 6. You could argue they did do this last season in part, as Yantsis, Meireless and Damiani all had to replace some big names and take bigger roles as the next guys up, and did so very well. They are "trying it" this season now because they are in a position where it makes sense. Joey is gone, a lot of our young kids are in their draft year where some kids make huge gains in development, which is the type of scenario that works well with "next man up". It makes sense to try that before replacing Joe via trade and not giving those guys minutes.
No one here thought Joey would be gone, suggesting this was a major oversight that we could see coming is pure hindsight imo. Kids Joe's size, without elite speed and strong defensive game rarely go pro without playing an OA year.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Hi guys, I remember last season hearing chatter that Rogers was going to be cutting down even more on home televised games. Has anyone heard any rumors of how many home game won't be shown on channel 20 this year? Thanks :)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Mein Yak proposed this in the off season thread:

Neumann
Noel
McShane

For

Four 2nds
Four 3rds

Then next year
Vukojevic

For

Two 2nds
Two 3rds

For me, I can't see Oshawa doing this deal. Three high end vets for Vuko, two 2nds, two 3rds is not near enough return. Would do it at the drop of a hat from a Ranger point of view though.

We'd have to sweeten the pot. A lot less coming back for Vuko in the off season or perhaps a graduating body or two going along with Vuko (01's Petizian, Stepien)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
looking at numbers, and although it’s only a couple preseason games, the Rangers currently have 8 signed forwards that won’t be at NHL camps for that home and home with Barrie (11 minus Damiani, Meireles, Yantsis). lots of opportunity to get an extended stay in Kitchener for forwards this year. Bergkvist and Vukojevic will also be at camps which closes the option to put Rupoli or Xhekaj up there unless there will be some defence staying for the preseason.

potentially 4 spots for forward draft picks/FAs to earn for a bit, but it’s getting tougher and tougher as most guys don’t want to give up NCAA eligibility for a couple preseason games. wondering if Dylan Winsor comes to camp last year as he wasn’t at spring camp or last year’s training camp

edit: have to imagine Pinelli Sr. gets a long look with all the guys gone

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Mein Yak proposed this in the off season thread:

Neumann
Noel
McShane

For

Four 2nds
Four 3rds

Then next year
Vukojevic

For

Two 2nds
Two 3rds

For me, I can't see Oshawa doing this deal. Three high end vets for Vuko, two 2nds, two 3rds is not near enough return. Would do it at the drop of a hat from a Ranger point of view though.

We'd have to sweeten the pot. A lot less coming back for Vuko in the off season or perhaps a graduating body or two going along with Vuko (01's Petizian, Stepien)

And Oshawa just did a deal with Ottawa...look at what that cost....

To Ottawa:
Dylan Robinson
To Oshawa:
2020 2nd Rd Pick (Windsor)
2023 2nd Rd Pick (Kitchener)
Cond. 2023 3rd Rd Pick (Ottawa)

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
From previous thread "his “next guy up” theory is very risky considering the state of the team. this would’ve been a lot better to try last season."

Disagree with this as I think this is a fine season to do this (and now is needed) and we kind of did that last season too.

There wasn't really anyone to be the next guy up last season outside of the top 6. You could argue they did do this last season in part, as Yantsis, Meireless and Damiani all had to replace some big names and take bigger roles as the next guys up, and did so very well. They are "trying it" this season now because they are in a position where it makes sense. Joey is gone, a lot of our young kids are in their draft year where some kids make huge gains in development, which is the type of scenario that works well with "next man up". It makes sense to try that before replacing Joe via trade and not giving those guys minutes.
No one here thought Joey would be gone, suggesting this was a major oversight that we could see coming is pure hindsight imo. Kids Joe's size, without elite speed and strong defensive game rarely go pro without playing an OA year.
And despite what Joey says....if he doesn't land a pro contract, will he ask to come back? MM has time to see if that happens.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
And despite what Joey says....if he doesn't land a pro contract, will he ask to come back? MM has time to see if that happens.

i’ve gotta think he would land somewhere. the amount of guys that go to the ECHL out of the O and make at least a minor impact on their team tells me that Joey could very easily be even an AHL player on some teams

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
i’ve gotta think he would land somewhere. the amount of guys that go to the ECHL out of the O and make at least a minor impact on their team tells me that Joey could very easily be even an AHL player on some teams
Likely considering Justin Azevedo's career in the AHL and then over to Europe. Similar sized players.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I doubt you'll see Joey settle for the ECHL. I bet it's AHL or Italy. AHL because it's one step away from the NHL. Italy because there's a lot more money to be had in Europe. Failing that, IMO, he'd be better off further developing here than the ECHL. But that's just me.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Even, I agree with you. the ECHL isn't great option for him

Teams have a long list of players in the AHL and hoping to get there. I love Joseph, but he's not going to jump the line ahead of anyone.

I can see him playing in Europe and with his skill and speed, having a very nice and successful career there. If it's Europe, he's ready to play there and may as well start earning his living now instead of putting another OHL season in.

If his plans change, it would be great to have him back. I sure appreciate all he did here on and off the ice

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It’s not unheard of for a guy to play half a season of pro before coming back/being sent back. maybe they go with 2 OAs till January because nothings set in stone, especially if he’s not on an NHL contract with the 9 game rule

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It’s not unheard of for a guy to play half a season of pro before coming back/being sent back. maybe they go with 2 OAs till January because nothings set in stone, especially if he’s not on an NHL contract with the 9 game rule

I'm of the same opinion. Keep the spot open until you know 100% he isn't returning. Gives you time as well to maybe set up another possibility like the Peter Tsmikalis signing.

Whatever we do with this OA spot, filling it on the cheap is a must.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I'm of the same opinion. Keep the spot open until you know 100% he isn't returning. Gives you time as well to maybe set up another possibility like the Peter Tsmikalis signing.

that’s fair. but it’s gotta be someone like a Chase Campbell who you can make a decision on come January. don’t want to give up 3rds for a guy that could be out the door if Garreffa is to come back. wouldn’t be bad to round out the bottom half of the forwards either

Alex Turko could be an option from London for maybe nothing. wasn’t listed on their pre season roster so he might be an FA?

K2

Jun 11, 2015

Richie would appear to be the default 3rd OA for the moment but hopefully a pleasant surprise cheap/FA OA takes the ice tonight or sometime over the next month. Despite MM's interview comment, we will be looking to replace Joey whether a younger kid steps up and breaks out or not if we're hoping to be a successful team in September through March and now is when that is cheapest.

Teams have a long list of players in the AHL and hoping to get there. I love Joseph, but he's not going to jump the line ahead of anyone.

Agreed, Joey is a great kid with skill but he's not going to be an AHL level walk-on and with the ever-accumulating glut of talent mired below in the minor pros he'll have to really elevate his game just to play for minimum-wage $ somewhere in North America. If he had an Azzy-like OA season here and got signed, sure, but I think he's in for a bumpy ride and playing in Europe as a career pro making even OK $ isn't necessarily much easier for a small 20yo import rookie. I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
roster posted for camp. only 1 free agent invite in Logan Gallagher. sort of disappointing
Isn't there more than just Gallagher as the free agents invitees? (I haven't checked the past drafts lists but there seems some unfamiliar names)
Nice to see Justin Wu in camp while disappointed no Connor Hasley. The BUG position is wide open and honestly if these are the choices I'm ok with Wu if he proves himself in camp. I think this yrs team could be strong enough to play a 16yr old in net on a limited basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Logan Gallagher fits the bill of the tough 4th liner we need to fill the 4th out. had 33 points in 38 games in the CCHL2 (don’t know how that compares to other junior leagues) and 116 pims (no, i didn’t type 1 one too many times). there’s gotta be a reason why he’s the only FA invitee. there’s 21 forwards here so 10 per team is enough so I don’t think he’s just a filler either.

he was at spring camp too. anyone going keep an eye on him today as well as Fishman and Martin

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Isn't there more than just Gallagher as the free agents invitees? (I haven't checked the past drafts lists but there seems some unfamiliar names)
Nice to see Justin Wu in camp while disappointed no Connor Hasley. The BUG position is wide open and honestly if these are the choices I'm ok with Wu if he proves himself in camp. I think this yrs team could be strong enough to play a 16yr old in net on a limited basis.

Brandon Anderson? Great to see Wu there. And Axel B is listed but I thought he couldn't make camp because of national team commitments...but hey...if he's here....great! That Ryan Walker kid is 15....not 16 until Sept 6...and he's listed at 6'2" 179lbs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad