Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
And now for something completely different........USHER "REDEPLOYMENT".

Interesting. We seemed to have the same guy at the 13/15 gate for years & there have been some pretty 'high maintenance' STH including aggressive hecklers, heavy drinkers, pottymouths, fragile aging folks and even John Cosman with all his flyers, etc to take care of over the years. The 15/17 gate usher used to bring bags of licorice and hand out to every kid at breaks. All nice folks in my experience and they move on and the new ushers find their way into the family pretty quick. I understand some sections might need more experienced staff, require a higher level of fitness (blues) and other posts could be considered a plum promotion (p-box) but either way I hope the longtime staff have some input into where they are stationed.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
There is always a sell plan. Theoretically, if we are sitting in last place near the trade deadline, then what do you do? The value for the OA's, Damiani, Vuk, etc will not be as high. But you gotta at least sell the OA's?

If we're in or near last place near the deadline, and feel we have to sell, then I'm seriously doubting MM's judgement as a GM regarding team evaluation.

He bought early on last year after a good start (Lipanov). Then we stood pat instead of selling in a down year.

This year he's all in with the vets he brought in. If he then decides to sell or stand pat?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I'm still confused about any flack MM is continuing to get about not selling last year. Had Joey G not gone off the rails for reasons unknown, we only graduated one player of consequence - Hugg. That was addressed by acquiring Hawel. It appears we filled a gaping hole in net. We likely got the steal of the draft in Pinelli - a 16 year old rookie that has contributed from day 1.

I defy anyone to name a team in the western conference that is significantly better. We already beat what is considered the beast of the east in Ottawa. Like someone said, the "A" level player upgrades aren't really there this year, especially if Hayton isn't returned. We may be in a decent position to compete without emptying our draft cupboard. I personally think we need to add a shutdown dman or two.

I've complained for years that this team doesn't compete. Let's give them a chance to see if they can at least.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I think it's a good idea to move the staff around, if they are in the same area all the time I think they get complacent, even maybe favoring STH over the occasional fan.
Over 13 years and Max has never ever been complacent. Does a great job and is part of the "family". No favouritism whatsover. Hoping to see him back.

Reactions: K2

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Mike Farwell show this morning interviewed MM on the JG trade and unfortunately not much to be taken from the interview except for what I understand as what was Joey had some options but nothing too strong. One was something in Europe and the other as some teams in the ECHL, nothing new but one would think that if that was true; I'm not sure why hes back in the OHL, unless those teams interested as tire kickers only. Speaking of tire kickers, apparently Ottawa was the only team to formally produce a trade offer to Kitchener since Joeys been home, a week? I'm still at a loss tho as to why we didnt bring him in and play some minutes with us and hopefully increase his trade value in the process all while Hawel is injured for what I've heard as 3-4 weeks. I understand the card factor but I get a sence a wasted card wasnt worth a possible higher pick in his mind? Or the chance of injury perhaps? Maybe it was the you turned your back on us, were not welcoming you back? I just wish MF would have asked him that question specifically as it could have shed more light on this whole situation.

MM did also state honestly that he feels JG was worth more than he got, so he admitted he could have done better. This leads me to believe the JG camp may have given the Rangers a deadline to move him or else hes gone to the ECHL or Europe.. only spit balling here.

Not sure if this link will work but if it does the interview starts at 55 min mark.
‎The Mike Farwell Show: Oct 21: Guelph Condo Development, and The Rangers on Apple Podcasts

Would like to hear others thoughts on it.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I just think as STH we really don't have the right to tell them how to run their staffing. That's really getting a little demanding :)
Which not once did I say. I'd like him to remain at his usual post, yes. It's part of my game experience and others in my area. Not everyone has the same experience.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Mike Farwell show this morning interviewed MM on the JG trade and unfortunately not much to be taken from the interview except for what I understand as what was Joey had some options but nothing too strong. One was something in Europe and the other as some teams in the ECHL, nothing new but one would think that if that was true; I'm not sure why hes back in the OHL, unless those teams interested as tire kickers only. Speaking of tire kickers, apparently Ottawa was the only team to formally produce a trade offer to Kitchener since Joeys been home, a week? I'm still at a loss tho as to why we didnt bring him in and play some minutes with us and hopefully increase his trade value in the process all while Hawel is injured for what I've heard as 3-4 weeks. I understand the card factor but I get a sence a wasted card wasnt worth a possible higher pick in his mind? Or the chance of injury perhaps? Maybe it was the you turned your back on us, were not welcoming you back? I just wish MF would have asked him that question specifically as it could have shed more light on this whole situation.

MM did also state honestly that he feels JG was worth more than he got, so he admitted he could have done better. This leads me to believe the JG camp may have given the Rangers a deadline to move him or else hes gone to the ECHL or Europe.. only spit balling here.

Not sure if this link will work but if it does the interview starts at 55 min mark.
‎The Mike Farwell Show: Oct 21: Guelph Condo Development, and The Rangers on Apple Podcasts

I heard the interview. You give a good breakdown. But what stuck with me was that little blurb at the beginning where MM sort of hints that there are always factors at play that the public and media do not hear about. One might be under the impression to think that MM then went on to state what they were. I think that he kept some stuff to himself being the professional that he is.

Reactions: Torgo and BogeyJ

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I don't believe there was an option to bring Joey back and let him play while Hawel is out injured. He chose not to come back for training camp. He basically said he was finished as a Kitchener Ranger. I believe that this is on him, not the team. He has his reasons for not wanting to come back. We may never know what they are. But players who are not disgruntled always come back to camp the following year. Those who are disgruntled conduct themselves the way that Joey did.

This may be hard to take for Joey Garreffa fans in Kitchener. He was a fan favourite after all. Sort of a team mascot if you will - especially in his first year or so. As a result, people continue to put this split on the agent or parents. How could such a lovable player be at fault?

Bottom line is though, the kid is old enough to make a few decisions by himself. And he's made his decision regarding his playing in Kitchener.

And regarding Farwell: He's going to ask the questions that he's going to ask without stepping on the toes of Ranger brass. He'll say over and over he's not an employee of the team. Neither was Jeff Hicks. Hicks found out all about what happens when you question Ranger management on a regular basis. He was the kind a guy who asked the hard, sticky questions. Don't expect Farwell to ask any gotcha questions of Ranger management anytime soon. He's got a pretty good gig going. He'll tell you himself and he's said it many times it's a privilege to do what he's doing. The last thing he wants to do is jeopardize that. Can't say that I blame him really. I might be the same way myself if I were in his position. Recent cuts at Rogers have shown that no matter who you are, no matter how popular you are, you can be replaced. Ask McCown, Kypreos, MacLean and Shannon about that.

Nobody out there should be surprised when he doesn't press on in interviews on an issue like this one to get to the bottom of things.

I agree that MM is conducting himself professionally regarding this issue as well. He put the blame off himself and the Rangers by saying he expected Garreffa back and that Garreffa said he was going to come back. But he is leaving it at that and not trying to blow up the character of the kid by exposing what really is or may be the issue. Good on him.

Reactions: BogeyJ

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
And as far as Garreffa versus Hawel goes:

Sure they are two different players. However, if Garreffa scores at a pace comparable to that of a top ten scorer in the league, there's no reason to believe he couldn't have done that here in Kitchener. With that in mind, I would rather have him in our lineup then Hawel. Sure Hawel is the type of player we needed because Joey did not bring what he does. But give me Joey and the two 2nds and one 3rd that we sent to Guelph for Hawel and I'll use those assets along with what we have left in our cupboard to bring in an elite 19-year-old forward. I think then, we may be better off.

Today we have Hawel who I really like, but without the assets that it cost us to get him, we may have to include a young player, worth those assets, the other way in any deal for a high-end forward.

So we won't really know the answer to Garreffa vs Hawel until after the deadline when this all shakes out.

Reactions: BogeyJ

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
And as far as Garreffa versus Hawel goes:

Sure they are two different players. However, if Garreffa scores at a pace comparable to that of a top ten scorer in the league, there's no reason to believe he couldn't have done that here in Kitchener. With that in mind, I would rather have him in our lineup then Hawel. Sure Hawel is the type of player we needed because Joey did not bring what he does. But give me Joey and the two 2nds and one 3rd that we sent to Guelph for Hawel and I'll use those assets along with what we have left in our cupboard to bring in an elite 19-year-old forward. I think then, we may be better off.

Today we have Hawel who I really like, but without the assets that it cost us to get him, we may have to include a young player, worth those assets, the other way in any deal for a high-end forward.

So we won't really know the answer to Garreffa vs Hawel until after the deadline when this all shakes out.

For the record, personally I would have liked to see Joey back in our lineup before all this "pro talk" took place. Then we could have set our sites on a Givani Smith type player.......someone with skills but also a player that the other team does not want to go near. Size is definitely something we can use but we will have to replace Joey's hairpin turns.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm wondering that in our search for a high end top six forward, if we shouldn't try and acquire an 01 born. We don't have a huge amount of 2nds in the cupboard (three). But we do have nine 3rds. If a young player must go as part of the deal along with picks, I'd feel a lot better if the player coming our way will be around another year.

A deal for an 01 could include a young player, picks but an amount of conditional picks that come back to us should the player not return to play in the league next year.

If he did return next year, it would provide us with options towards the direction this team would go in next year.

We could sell off him and Vuko for big return setting us up for runs in 21-22 and 22-23.

Is there a selling team out there who are in that deep a hole where their rebuild includes selling off 01's as well as any graduating players?

Hamilton? Niagara?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Steep price if you ask me

I'd be interested but not at that price. His offensive output doesn't warrant that price.

I also wouldn't settle for him as the desired top six forward that we're looking for. So anything we pay for him will take away from the minimal pool of assets we need to look for that high end top six forward. It would be different if we had a deep cupboard.

With that in mind, I don't see the Rangers interested.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
one guy that doesn’t really get discussed on here is Jan Jenik from Hamilton. I feel like they’re geared more for next year when Arthur Kaliyev will score 90 goals. Jenik provides skill and grit/compete. they could work something out where they send X picks there for Jenik, and get the same or similar back next year for Vukojevic. they’re both 3rd round NHL picks, tough, and each team would get a year out of their guy.

only obstacle is Jenik’s stats are currently and will likely be through the roof with playing along mr. Kaliyev

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
one guy that doesn’t really get discussed on here is Jan Jenik from Hamilton. I feel like they’re geared more for next year when Arthur Kaliyev will score 90 goals. Jenik provides skill and grit/compete. they could work something out where they send X picks there for Jenik, and get the same or similar back next year for Vukojevic. they’re both 3rd round NHL picks, tough, and each team would get a year out of their guy.

only obstacle is Jenik’s stats are currently and will likely be through the roof with playing along mr. Kaliyev

Loved Jenik's game when he was here last year. Trouble is he's an import. Kitchener has committed to our two and for good reason.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Meireles is now day-to-day according to Josh Brown on Twitter.

Injury bug is coming after our rangers hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad