Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Year after year, it is frustrating to see all these major injuries that we incur. Do all teams go through this or am I just being Ranger blind? Can't say that we have smallish players as we have Hawel out and the likes of Connor Hall in the past. Are we not coaching our kids on "how to take a hit"?
Not sure how the rest of the league fairs on injuries but the Rangers seem to have this happen every year. I think most teams go through this though.

Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
on top of that, we will see Joey this weekend in Ottawa. the 67s have already had their trip to the Aud, so he won’t get a homecoming

unless....

Mar 12, 2009
Seeing Joe in a different uniform is going to be strange. I think 3 3rds is pretty good. You hope for a 2nd, but it probably didn't help that he was uncertain to be returning to the OHL until recently.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think if you could see GM McKenzies reaction, he’d be breathing a sigh of relief that we got assets back for him.

He didn’t want to be here or even go through the motions of acting like he would come back here. Frankly, Hawel is a much better player and brings exactly what we needed, and something Joey was extremely weak at.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think if you could see GM McKenzies reaction, he’d be breathing a sigh of relief that we got assets back for him.

He didn’t want to be here or even go through the motions of acting like he would come back here. Frankly, Hawel is a much better player and brings exactly what we needed, and something Joey was extremely weak at.

I think we all have to give MM props on this one. OAs values go down by the day throughout the season. the trade off for Hawel now looks like:

Hawel
3x 3rds

Garreffa
2x 2nds
1x 3rd

considering what Hawel brings to the table, no complaints here

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Seeing Joe in a different uniform is going to be strange. I think 3 3rds is pretty good. You hope for a 2nd, but it probably didn't help that he was uncertain to be returning to the OHL until recently.

For an 80 point player, he should've been worth comparable to what other overagers have brought in return over the last couple years. That is the same return we paid for Hawel.

However, his stock started to drop as soon as he was not playing in the league this year. MM had to take what he could for him or take the risk of losing him for next to nothing the closer we got to January. At the end of the day, the Rangers come out better as we improved on the spot that would've been filled by Joey.

Joey is a high-end player but not an elite. The uncertainty as to his status this year along with the fact we needed to move him dropped his value.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
a lot of people mentioning Garreffa could’ve played until Hawel’s back. I think it just logistically didn’t make sense. for one, he didn’t want to be here. secondly, they would’ve had to find him billets for (hopefully) a small amount of time. Pope mentioned on Friday that Motew and Pinelli have moved in with his old billets. lastly, the longer they waited, the less they probably would’ve gotten for him

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
food for thought, the Rangers statement said “defenceman Joseph Garreffa”

Joey wanted to play defence here but the team did not want to put him there full-time. It may have been a big reason why he did not want to come back here this year.

Could this be a typo/ honest mistake, or is it the Rangers way of a sarcastic parting jab at a player who maybe they thought should've come to camp this year?

We may never know what the relationship actually was coming into this year. If there was or was not bad blood or a falling out. But I find it curious that he never even came to camp this year. Doesn't sound like everything was 100% jovial.

The Garreffa camp also probably didn't like the way MM basically made Joey look like the bad guy. His saying that Joey said he was coming back pre-trade deadline last winter and then all of a sudden choosing not to could have been taken as a shot towards the player.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
a lot of people mentioning Garreffa could’ve played until Hawel’s back. I think it just logistically didn’t make sense. for one, he didn’t want to be here. secondly, they would’ve had to find him billets for (hopefully) a small amount of time. Pope mentioned on Friday that Motew and Pinelli have moved in with his old billets. lastly, the longer they waited, the less they probably would’ve gotten for him

And it would've filled up a card here. No point wasting a card on a player you know will not be here.

Reactions: GeoBlue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Some good, and interesting, points made on the board regarding Joey. We will never know what the motivation behind his decision was. Whether he was not thrilled on the prospect of not playing D full-time to perhaps bad advice given to him by an agent or whomever.

Whether Joey stepped on Aud ice as a Ranger or a visiting team player, he would have gotten a hero's welcome no matter what sort of picture was painted by management. He has done so much for and with the team, and has a personality that the media adores.

I don't think the odds of getting "nothing" for him were very good. I am sure MM did his homework and even spoke to the Joey team. Something along the lines of, "If you can commit to the league, or any one particular team, we can trade you to where you will be happier." Any true athlete would prefer to be moved rather than sit idle until put on wavers at the OA deadline.

Compared to the Hawel trade, we got fair value for him. Hawel definitely brings a different style that Joey could provide. Each player has their strengths but I feel that we definitely needed more Hawel in the lineup.

I don't think the Rangers are throwing sarcastic jabs. Not our style. Probably a typo or an overlook.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Some good, and interesting, points made on the board regarding Joey. We will never know what the motivation behind his decision was. Whether he was not thrilled on the prospect of not playing D full-time to perhaps bad advice given to him by an agent or whomever.

Whether Joey stepped on Aud ice as a Ranger or a visiting team player, he would have gotten a hero's welcome no matter what sort of picture was painted by management. He has done so much for and with the team, and has a personality that the media adores.

I don't think the odds of getting "nothing" for him were very good. I am sure MM did his homework and even spoke to the Joey team. Something along the lines of, "If you can commit to the league, or any one particular team, we can trade you to where you will be happier." Any true athlete would prefer to be moved rather than sit idle until put on wavers at the OA deadline.

Compared to the Hawel trade, we got fair value for him. Hawel definitely brings a different style that Joey could provide. Each player has their strengths but I feel that we definitely needed more Hawel in the lineup.

I don't think the Rangers are throwing sarcastic jabs. Not our style. Probably a typo or an overlook.

Unless we meet Ottawa in the final, we've seen the last of Joey at the yard. Too bad.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
so if the OHL pick database is correct, the Rangers now have 3 2nds & 9 3rds over the next 5 years

That is correct. The database was updated after the Hawel trade.

And having looked at the database, Ottawa has six 2nds over the next five years. Too bad we couldn't have hooked one of them in this deal. Perhaps MM was offered one, but just one and that's it. Maybe MM figured it better to have extra 3rds. Not complaining though.

We have no 2nd in the next draft but three 3rds. Since we are buying this year and not selling off vets, I don't see a scenario where we acquire a 2020 second so I hope we're able to hang onto the three 3rds.

Of course, there is the possibility of dealing for a 2020 2nd before the draft but that usually involves sending extra picks the other way.

Last edited:

K2

Jun 11, 2015

I suppose it could even be a tribute to Joey's wish to be known as a D-Man & the team often backstopped questions on the topic by referring to their analytics supporting Joey on D. Joey always had a lot to say his whole time here and yet not a goodbye/passing thanks/etc peep or anything to the media or fans (?) when he departed in hopes of going pro suggests whatever went down wasn't a positive. Maybe he'll say something nice now that he's back in the light and clearly moved on.

And having looked at the database, Ottawa has six 2nds over the next five years. Too bad we couldn't have hooked one of them in this deal.

That Ottawa readily threw 3 2nds (I think ?), etc to Erie for Maksimovich suggest a different playing field/willingness to pay for a 'ballpark comparable' stature/producer/pro potential winger like Joey. Sure, Joey wasn't playing but he was a 'top 15' points guy last year and still 'fresh' from pro camps ... likely a zero negotiation option for MM.

Good to add some high picks and have Joey back on the ice with a good team either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad