Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The Langdon talk is all way premature. He's a few games removed from his 16 year old season and has been battling an injury. He will be fine. And he is not likely to get moved any time soon. This is the one OHL team he was willing to shred his NCAA commitment for. They'll have lots of patience with him and based on his trajectory so far, there's really no reason not to.

more than 1 person replying to OHLinsiders tweet about Billy Constantinou saying he will be traded here for Isaac. don’t know how true that is nor do I think it makes any sense

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
more than 1 person replying to OHLinsiders tweet about Billy Constantinou saying he will be traded here for Isaac. don’t know how true that is nor do I think it makes any sense

It would make sense if we brought in Constantinou plus a pick or two. Move out maybe Xhekaj to make room. That would be an upgrade on D without getting older and a couple of picks to go towards the acquisition of an elite forward.

To Kingston:
Langdon
Xhekaj

To Kitchener:
Constantinou
2nd 3rd

Just spitballing.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It would make sense if we brought in Constantinou plus a pick or two. Move out maybe Xhekaj to make room. That would be an upgrade on D without getting older and a couple of picks to go towards the acquisition of an elite forward.

To Kingston:
Langdon
Xhekaj

To Kitchener:
Constantinou
2nd 3rd

Just spitballing.

a trade for Constantinou is a very grey area. while Kitchener could argue that he is an undrafted 01, we all know he was ranked to go in rounds 3/4. he was a -58 after being traded to Kingston which is very likely a factor to why he wasn’t drafted, and I’m sure a reason for him to want out. he looked like he could be something special when he was in Niagara, and I’m sure he would be if he had a contending team around him, rather than a Jr. B team

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Happy to see the Rangers pass on that one. I'm not interested in spending too much on the D core at this point in time, I thin they have been doing solid so far.

Reactions: GeoBlue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As I have said before it's amazing to see how far the D has come in such a short period of time! Not even 10 games and some guys have made major improvements!

I agree our D has come along way since the start of the season. However, we are still allowing a ton of shots every game. Anytime that you are looking to contend for a championship, it's never a bad move to bring in a veteran D. We can use the upgrade.

Had we made that trade for Constantinou, it would not have been a bad thing depending on what the deal was. I know he's not coming here now, but it would've been an upgrade on our defense. And with his age and the fact he's not NHL drafted means he would have been here next year and maybe even an OA season.

All that being said, our first priority should be a top six winger. But, if we bring in the top six winger, and we find our way into a veteran D as well, we will be better off. As I said above, you can never have too much D. It was only a couple years ago our defence was decimated during our postseason run.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Happy to see the Rangers pass on that one. I'm not interested in spending too much on the D core at this point in time, I thin they have been doing solid so far.

The Greyhounds picked him up for a 3rd and two 4ths. Not a bad deal at all for a player who would make our backend better today and still be here for one or two more years.

We could've done that deal with our eyes closed and still had lots left to go towards picking up a top six winger.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The Greyhounds picked him up for a 3rd and two 4ths. Not a bad deal at all for a player who would make our backend better today and still be here for one or two more years.

We could've done that deal with our eyes closed and still had lots left to go towards picking up a top six winger.

Definitely would not have been bank breaking or anything, I just want the D upgrade to come second (if it comes). As you said, top 6 is the big thing we need atm, once that is done MM can go do what ever he needs to the Defense. I just want the forwards to be done with before we get there.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Definitely would not have been bank breaking or anything, I just want the D upgrade to come second (if it comes). As you said, top 6 is the big thing we need atm, once that is done MM can go do what ever he needs to the Defense. I just want the forwards to be done with before we get there.

I understand firming up the top six is the first priority. But when a situation like Constantinou comes into play, you act if you have interest. Apparently, the player asked for a trade after last weekend. If that's the case, you do the deal now and worry about the top six forward down the road. Kingston granted the trade request quick. When that happens, you don't have a choice of waiting until you fill the forward hole before filling the D.

At that price, I would've liked that player on our blue line today and going forward. As an 01, we could've had an overage trio of him, Stepien, and Petizian two years from now. Based on the play of those two this year, and the upside of Constantinou, our OA group would have looked pretty good for the 21-22 season.

I like Xhekaj, but Constantinou would have been an upgrade and made our D that much deeper.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I understand firming up the top six is the first priority. But when a situation like Constantinou comes into play, you act if you have interest. Apparently, the player asked for a trade after last weekend. If that's the case, you do the deal now and worry about the top six forward down the road. Kingston granted the trade request quick. When that happens, you don't have a choice of waiting until you fill the forward hole before filling the D.

At that price, I would've liked that player on our blue line today and going forward. As an 01, we could've had an overage trio of him, Stepien, and Petizian two years from now. Based on the play of those two this year, and the upside of Constantinou, our OA group would have looked pretty good for the 21-22 season.

I like Xhekaj, but Constantinou would have been an upgrade and made our D that much deeper.

That's fair, I won't deny he would have been an upgrade. Just don't think it was our time to strike. I also hear that Constantinou is a bit of a problem in the room, don't know how much stock that has on anything, but if it is the case I'm even more okay with them passing.

Reactions: Torgo

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That's fair, I won't deny he would have been an upgrade. Just don't think it was our time to strike. I also hear that Constantinou is a bit of a problem in the room, don't know how much stock that has on anything, but if it is the case I'm even more okay with them passing.

That may or may not be true. I haven't heard anything but to be honest, the player hasn't been on my radar. But there has to be a reason he dropped out of consideration to be NHL drafted.

It can't have anything to do with a crappy +\- on a crappy team. Not if the NHL scouts are doing their jobs. The list is long of OHL players who had a crappy +\- but turned out to be pretty good hockey players.

I guess we'll see how he makes out up in The Soo. Their faithful seem to be happy with the deal. We'll see if it stays that way. It's something worth monitoring.

Reactions: robertmac43

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
That may or may not be true. I haven't heard anything but to be honest, the player hasn't been on my radar. But there has to be a reason he dropped out of consideration to be NHL drafted.

It can't have anything to do with a crappy +\- on a crappy team. Not if the NHL scouts are doing their jobs. The list is long of OHL players who had a crappy +\- but turned out to be pretty good hockey players.

I guess we'll see how he makes out up in The Soo. Their faithful seem to be happy with the deal. We'll see if it stays that way. It's something worth monitoring.
i think he is a fair weather type of player he was fine when niagara was winning then read the tea leaves and wanted out goes to kingston looks around and says ohoh i want out trade to soo im betting he'll be ok then if soo moves hayton (if he returns) they can move forward next year and be pretty good which will make him happy again and play well. will never be an nhl'er but when he feels he is motivated he can be an asset...properly handled could be a huge get

Mar 12, 2009

Who does he bump out of the lineup? He didn't get drafted in the NHL because he's a puck mover who couldn't move the puck without a stacked Niagara team last year and couldn't defend well either. We don't need another puck mover, if we add at all on D, it needs to be someone who takes care of their own zone very well. I don't see him as much of an upgrade on any of our top 4, more like a lateral move which isn't a good use of assets (even if not that expensive). The price was cheap but if he didn't perform, there would be complaining about misusing assets on an area that is less of a need than others.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Price was cheap because he isn’t a great player. Solid player sure. We need to add great / elite players if we are making a run at it.

Want to make a serious run....add Thomas Harley and Akil Thomas or Kaliyev. Harley can log 25 to 27 minutes a game a bump everyone down in the line up where they should be. Kaliyev is the going to rack up the points playing with some talent.

Kaliyev - Meirles - yantis
Pinelli - Damiani - Hawel
McDonnell - Petzian - Valade
Stepian - Langdon - Fishman
Serpa/Dickerson

Harley - Vuk
Sebrango - MacPherson
Berg - Motew/Otta

Ingham

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Price was cheap because he isn’t a great player. Solid player sure. We need to add great / elite players if we are making a run at it.

Want to make a serious run....add Thomas Harley and Akil Thomas or Kaliyev. Harley can log 25 to 27 minutes a game a bump everyone down in the line up where they should be. Kaliyev is the going to rack up the points playing with some talent.

Serpa/Dickerson

Harley - Vuk
Sebrango - MacPherson
Berg - Motew/Otta

Ingham

would love to add those guys but I don’t think we have the assets to get even 1 of them without giving up a young guy

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Serpa/Dickerson

Harley - Vuk
Sebrango - MacPherson
Berg - Motew/Otta

Ingham

No disrespect, but that's rich. You've acquired Kaliyev and Harley without giving up either of Pinelli, Valade, Langdon, Sebrango or MacDonnell.

I guess the three 2nds and six 3rds we have in the cupboard will bring those two guys in? We'd be lucky to get one of them with those available assets.

I understand wishing we had the luxury of a deep asset base that would be needed to get guys like that in Ranger uniforms, but unless the Hamilton and Missy GM's are ready to be fired the next day, I doubt we bring in two guys of that quality without a quality young body going the other way.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
No disrespect, but that's rich. You've acquired Kaliyev and Harley without giving up either of Pinelli, Valade, Langdon, Sebrango or MacDonnell.

I guess the three 2nds and six 3rds we have in the cupboard will bring those two guys in? We'd be lucky to get one of them with those available assets.

I understand wishing we had the luxury of a deep asset base that would be needed to get guys like that in Ranger uniforms, but unless the Hamilton and Missy GM's are ready to be fired the next day, I doubt we bring in two guys of that quality without a quality young body going the other way.

frankly, the more games they play the more the defence keeps coming together. I don’t think it’s a necessity for them to get another d man unless it’s a really good deal. the limited draft cupboard needs to be used on a top 6 forward.

hopefully Garreffa plays in the OHL and recoups a couple of picks

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Unless we can swing a Bracco / Stanley type deal for one of them. Vuk aways seems to be the guy mentioned going the other way in the following year.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
[QUOTE="MatthewsMoustache, post: 165520105, member: 305487
hopefully Garreffa plays in the OHL and recoups a couple of picks[/QUOTE]

Any idea where he is right now?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Unless we can swing a Bracco / Stanley type deal for one of them. Vuk aways seems to be the guy mentioned going the other way in the following year.

The best way to get something like that to work, is target a team who is planning on going all in big time next year. That way, it makes sense for them to trade away a graduating player this year for a player who will be a high end veteran next year.

Otherwise, a team trading away a graduating player this year will be more interested in a young player in return. As far as I'm concerned, we should be avoiding moving any of our young players if possible. We don't look to really contend next year based on our returning 01 group. Therefore, it makes sense to have Vuko go the other way in a deal in the off-season and target 21-22 to contend big time again.

A team to target to work out a Bracco/Stanley type deal is a team who would be all in to try and host the Memorial Cup next year. Betty maybe Oshawa. Once they come down to earth and settle in as the season goes on, they may resume the selling off of players in preparation for a bid for the hosting duties next year.

Serron Noel is the big fish on that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->