Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Maybe some of the old timers on here can help me out but did it not used to be that if you pull your goalie on a delayed penalty and score, you still got the PP? I am sure it changed at some point. I have seen this happen a couple of times now in the past few weeks and it just does not seem right. A PP is where you have an extra man. Pulling the goalie just lets you replace a player and is not truly an "advantage". Definitely feel that the scoring team should still get the PP after the goal.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Maybe some of the old timers on here can help me out but did it not used to be that if you pull your goalie on a delayed penalty and score, you still got the PP? I am sure it changed at some point. I have seen this happen a couple of times now in the past few weeks and it just does not seem right. A PP is where you have an extra man. Pulling the goalie just lets you replace a player and is not truly an "advantage". Definitely feel that the scoring team should still get the PP after the goal.

Never

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

To my knowledge, and I’m an old timer, scoring a goal on a delayed penalty always negated the penalty.

Mar 12, 2009
Thought it was going to be a total write off, but it was at least nice to see a fire get lit under them in the 3rd. Bad 40 minutes, no doubt but I will say that under Mckee likely we lose 8-2 or so as their was never any bounce back in those situations under him. Ingam seems to give the team confidence.

rav24

Mar 21, 2016
You have to love OHL hockey. Anything can happen. Glad I listened till the end, I was very tempted to turn this one off. Now to fix the mistakes in practice.

Mar 12, 2009
The consistency of effort has sure dropped of late. A lot more spectating going on again in our end. Inexcusable lazy plays like Hamilton's 4th goal where Pinelli had him and just stopped skating.

Way too much quitting going on after short battles. And the PK continues to look lost.

It's the dog days after a great run so it's not surprising to see cracks. You just don't like those cracks to be in effort/compete level. Thankfully it's fixable.
Whenever I watch it's most apparent with Damiani for me. He was good late, but pretty brutal for 40 today. A lot of puck mishandling and turnovers with the puck. This year it feels like he's relying on his skill more than his motor, which made him so effective last year and as a shut down player the previous year. It's extra frustrating when it's a veteran player, whose been through pro camps and is a co-captain.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
ugly win. most of the wins of late have been pretty ugly. they are going to have to find a way to clean this up before March. I think it's time to go down to 6 defence and 12 forwards. let the guys on the back end get used to playing with one guy.

Ugly 40 minutes for sure and they could have rolled over at 6-2. To be honest, I thought they were done. But I came back for the 3rd. Different team and as the goals started going in, you could see their confidence and swagger return. 5 straight goals to win this one and as it stands, a good thing because London doubled up on Ottawa.

But yes, agreed, sloppiness has seeped into their play over the past few games. We've all seen it and it bit them in the butt the past two games. I'm with you. Let's get the 4th line back and go with 6 D. Let's shake up the PP and tighten up overall play. Too many aimless and/or errant passes. Hopefully, we see the Rangers that roared up from last to 1st again starting this Friday against Erie. Then it's the red hot Firebirds. No pushover there that's for sure!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I’m all for going back to six D. No d-man and likely no coach in charge of the D likes going with 7D. Listening to Spittin Chickletts a few weeks ago and former NHL d-man Ryan Whitney said that no d-man out there, not one, likes playing games with 7D. It screws up line changes, shifts, juggling D partners, ice time, just about everything related to it sucks.

That being said, which d-man comes out of the lineup? A couple months ago the obvious choice would have been Xhekaj. But these days, he’s a big part of the toughness/defensive side of our game. He, along with Petizian, are hands down neck and neck for most improved Ranger this season.

For me, it seems the logical choice would have to be Ottavainen who seems to be seeing the least icetime of the 7.

Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
part of me wonders if the big guns are preserving themselves for the playoffs? it was mentioned above that Damiani looks like he's relying on his skill now. I see it too. I also see Meireles being selfish with the puck a decent amount.

another player of concern for me is Jonny Yantsis. as much as I love him, every teams got him figured out now. all you need to do is give him a couple shoves in front of the net and he's money in the bank for 2 penalties and his head's completely out of the game

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I’m all for going back to six D. No d-man and likely no coach in charge of the D likes going with 7D. Listening to Spittin Chickletts a few weeks ago and former NHL d-man Ryan Whitney said that no d-man out there, not one, likes playing games with 7D. It screws up line changes, shifts, juggling D partners, ice time, just about everything related to it sucks.

That being said, which d-man comes out of the lineup? A couple months ago the obvious choice would have been Xhekaj. But these days, he’s a big part of the toughness/defensive side of our game. He, along with Petizian, are hands down neck and neck for most improved Ranger this season.

For me, it seems the logical choice would have to be Ottavainen who seems to be seeing the least icetime of the 7.

I think that's the only reason they haven't gone to 6 yet. gotta keep a good rep with European players and agents. and there's no way you take Xhekaj out at this point and you didn't give up 3 picks for Holden Wale to sit in the press box

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas

Having the offending team not able to shoot at your empty net when you pull the goalie on a delayed penalty seems to be an advantage to me.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Glad we got the win, but PP1 is a liability. PP2 on the ice for 10 seconds and they score. What does MM do next power play? Back to PP1.
Others on this forum are absolutely right about who isn't playing well. Our top players are not being our "top players". We should absolutely be going to 6 D and 12 F. Our bottom D right now is Berqkvist. Too many give aways, too slow, only 8 goals and he has played on PP1 all year.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Glad we got the win, but PP1 is a liability. PP2 on the ice for 10 seconds and they score. What does MM do next power play? Back to PP1.
Others on this forum are absolutely right about who isn't playing well. Our top players are not being our "top players". We should absolutely be going to 6 D and 12 F. Our bottom D right now is Berqkvist. Too many give aways, too slow, only 8 goals and he has played on PP1 all year.
they need to switch the gameplan up on the PP. Yantsis is a guaranteed penalty on the PP at least once a game. Here is my proposal for a powerplay set up:

PP1 (same as right now)
Yantsis
Damiani-Hawel-Meireles
Bergkvist

PP2
Noel
Damiani-Valade/McDonnell-Meireles
Sebrango

Damiani and Meireles on both units. having this set up allows you to put out either unit to start the power play and you still send your 2 big guns out. it gives the guys like Yantsis/Bergkvist/Noel more incentive to perform (or stay out of the box in Yantsis' case)

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Whenever I watch it's most apparent with Damiani for me. He was good late, but pretty brutal for 40 today. A lot of puck mishandling and turnovers with the puck. This year it feels like he's relying on his skill more than his motor, which made him so effective last year and as a shut down player the previous year. It's extra frustrating when it's a veteran player, whose been through pro camps and is a co-captain.

This is exactly how I feel this year about Damiani too. I see the exact same thing and wonder if ego has crept in too much? Either way, he has to get back to what got him drafted.

Reactions: rangersblues

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Yeah, but he has a pretty good right hook. ;-)

JoelKRangers

Aug 31, 2018
I'm a big Rangers fan but rarely post on here and am living and volunteering for the year in Chicago. It's a shame I have to miss what could be a special year for the Rangers but I often listen to games on the radio and sometimes watch on OHL Live and watch all the highlights. Today was President's Day in the US, but my work decided to stay open so I started listening to the game today in the 2nd while working, when it was 4-2 Bulldogs. When it was 6-2 I was annoyed but I believed in the Rangers that they could come back and they sure did!!! I could hardly contain myself in the office as people who know nothing about hockey were giving me weird looks. I know it's probably been the worst weekend of the season for the Rangers but I was expecting more positive comments while scrolling through hfb after such a huge comeback today. We should all enjoy and celebrate this big comeback regardless of who they played. It's not often that a team comes back down 6-2 in the 2nd and scores 2 shorties on 1 shift and ends up winning it in regulation! I know this wasn't the most important game of the season, but I'll always remember this comeback and where I was to experience it. Hopefully they learn something from this rollercoaster weekend and carry it into the playoffs! Go Rangers!!!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

Bergkvist had a slow start as he adapted but has played much better in the 2nd half. He's the top D on the team in points with 55 (8 goals 34 assists) and #5 on the team for total points just 9 back of Yantsis in 4th. No way he's a bottom D.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Bergkvist had a slow start as he adapted but has played much better in the 2nd half. He's the top D on the team in points with 55 (8 goals 34 assists) and #5 on the team for total points just 9 back of Yantsis in 4th. No way he's a bottom D.

42 points not 55. He is 11th in the league for D scoring and considering how slow he started that’s pretty impressive. His exit pass out of the D zone is probably the best in the team. I’m quite happy with his progress this year.

Reactions: K2

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That was a big comeback and all the other night, but it isn’t my favourite. This one is:

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Mike Richards was a machine in the third period that day!!!

When we went down 6-2 to Saginaw, I jokingly spoke up to the wife that the game isn’t over yet. I pointed out that we did it before. But I conceded, we don’t have a Mike Richards on this team.
I have to admit, never saw the comeback coming vs Saginaw on Monday. Hats off!!!

Reactions: JoelKRangers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad