Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
really tough way to go out. but nothing we can do about it. time to start looking towards the draft, import draft, what MM is going to do this summer in terms of OAs, Vukojevic & the head coaching job

JoelKRangers

Aug 31, 2018
At least the Rangers season ended on a winning note: 7-4 win in Guelph with the Greg Meireles Show (6 points) in his last game as a Ranger. Too bad their last home games were downers with losses against London and Barrie but the 2 home games I went to this season were both good wins against Guelph and Erie and I went 1-1 on the road against Erie and Flint. Nobody would've predicted the season to end this way and it really sucks to have all this talent wasted but at least this is happening to all teams including London, not just the Rangers. 2019-20 was full of big ups and downs but we might as well start looking forward to next season and the draft in a few weeks. It's hard to tell at this point but hopefully the NHL doesn't have to cancel their playoffs too.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
At least the Rangers season ended on a winning note: 7-4 win in Guelph with the Greg Meireles Show (6 points) in his last game as a Ranger. Too bad their last home games were downers with losses against London and Barrie but the 2 home games I went to this season were both good wins against Guelph and Erie and I went 1-1 on the road against Erie and Flint. Nobody would've predicted the season to end this way and it really sucks to have all this talent wasted but at least this is happening to all teams including London, not just the Rangers. 2019-20 was full of big ups and downs but we might as well start looking forward to next season and the draft in a few weeks. It's hard to tell at this point but hopefully the NHL doesn't have to cancel their playoffs too.

I think it’s the right move for the NHL to do the same. don’t try to push anything so we can assure an uninterrupted 2020-21 season

Reactions: JoelKRangers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think it’s the right move for the NHL to do the same. don’t try to push anything so we can assure an uninterrupted 2020-21 season

The difference is that they can afford to possibly play in front of empty buildings if it ever came to that. The CHL cannot.

But since a late NHL season would likely equal a late start to their 20-21 season, the OHL would likely have to follow suit and start late as well.

But Bill Daly did say their top priority is a full 82 game schedule next year so with that in mind, the clock is ticking on this season resuming. To play a full season next year, I assume it couldn’t start any later than Nov 1st and run to mid July?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

OHL draft is less than two weeks away. April 4th.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The difference is that they can afford to possibly play in front of empty buildings if it ever came to that. The CHL cannot.

But since a late NHL season would likely equal a late start to their 20-21 season, the OHL would likely have to follow suit and start late as well.

But Bill Daly did say their top priority is a full 82 game schedule next year so with that in mind, the clock is ticking on this season resuming. To play a full season next year, I assume it couldn’t start any later than Nov 1st and run to mid July?

and then the off-season is condensed by a month give or take. it's do-able but I don't think it's likely. the main focus should be making sure everything starts on time next season at this point.

right now my biggest hope is that things can slow down in time for the NHL draft to remain as-is. it would suck for that to be pushed back/done online, especially for the kids who are going to be sitting at home with only that to think about/look forward to for the next little while

Mar 12, 2009
It's probably doubtful, but I'm curious if any form of compensation picks will be granted to teams to traded for what amounted to a month of service of a player in a cancelled season. Maybe, probably not. I am glad we didn't give up any of our prospects at the very least; those aren't so replaceable with a compensation pick.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
It's probably doubtful, but I'm curious if any form of compensation picks will be granted to teams to traded for what amounted to a month of service of a player in a cancelled season. Maybe, probably not. I am glad we didn't give up any of our prospects at the very least; those aren't so replaceable with a compensation pick.

Probably not. Everyone was in the same boat so leave things be. You can't get into a situation where you are making exceptions for select teams.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

There is no difference. We are supposed to be staying 2 metres away from each other and you cannot do that in hockey whether you are a junior or professional. Some people out on the streets still don't get this.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Both Kitchener and London are saying goodbye to a key group of players. As always, a top goalie is important going forward. Kitchener loses Ingham. London has Brochu going forward. Say no more...

Josh Brown
@BrownRecord
Rangers bid farewell to F Greg Meireles, F Liam Hawel and F Jonathan Yantsis. F Riley Damiani, F Serron Noel, D Axel Bergkvist and G Jacob Ingham likely moving on as well.

Ryan Pyette
@RyanatLFPress
Knights saying good-bye to Jason Willms, Markus Phillips, Dylan Myskiw. Also Liam Foudy, Ryan Merkley, Alec Regula, Jonathan Gruden. Maybe Connor McMichael, too -- it's up to the Capitals.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

That is the worst part of all of this. A select few teams paid dearly for an asset they didn't really get to use. I imagine the league won't do anything about it because it's hard to do that fairly. With all the rumours of a part two to that deal in the summer, I would hope upstanding GMs might do the right thing behind the scenes and at least re-negotiate that. If KIT ends up sending more to OSH in the summer that'd be devastating.

On a season-ending note, it is always sad to see the graduating players go and we certainly had as elite a group of OAs as you'll ever get in this league. But I especially wanted to tip my cap to Meireles. That kid played his butt off every shift of every game and when your most skilled player is also your hardest worker, good things happen with your younger players. So thanks to all the players who are graduating, but for this fan, I will miss Meireles the most for sure. We weren't the same without him.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Both Kitchener and London are saying goodbye to a key group of players. As always, a top goalie is important going forward. Kitchener loses Ingham. London has Brochu going forward. Say no more...

The big difference is London also has one of the fullest draft pick cupboards in the league and Kitchener's is one of the emptiest. London did not relinquish key assets to upgrade at the deadline. I hate to say it, but the beat goes on... London will continue to own the league as long as the Hunters are there.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I hate to say it, but the beat goes on... London will continue to own the league as long as the Hunters are there.

Several of us in London know how fortunate we are to have the Hunter family in London. Incredibly talented Junior Coach (I know tough pill to swallow for some) and GM. When the day comes for these guys to “ride off into the sunset” I sure hope the sons and son in-laws etc have been paying attention! Kitchener has had at times equally talented leadership but the Rangers were a stepping stone to further their careers while the Hunters are a little more invested. That’s not a slight to a Deboar or Spott etc. just a fact of life we don’t have to face in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad