Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
42 points not 55. He is 11th in the league for D scoring and considering how slow he started that’s pretty impressive. His exit pass out of the D zone is probably the best in the team. I’m quite happy with his progress this year.
Considering he has been on PP1 all year, 42 points is pretty unimpressive. Sebrango is only 2 goals behind, with virtually no power play time.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I'm a big Rangers fan but rarely post on here and am living and volunteering for the year in Chicago. It's a shame I have to miss what could be a special year for the Rangers but I often listen to games on the radio and sometimes watch on OHL Live and watch all the highlights. Today was President's Day in the US, but my work decided to stay open so I started listening to the game today in the 2nd while working, when it was 4-2 Bulldogs. When it was 6-2 I was annoyed but I believed in the Rangers that they could come back and they sure did!!! I could hardly contain myself in the office as people who know nothing about hockey were giving me weird looks. I know it's probably been the worst weekend of the season for the Rangers but I was expecting more positive comments while scrolling through hfb after such a huge comeback today. We should all enjoy and celebrate this big comeback regardless of who they played. It's not often that a team comes back down 6-2 in the 2nd and scores 2 shorties on 1 shift and ends up winning it in regulation! I know this wasn't the most important game of the season, but I'll always remember this comeback and where I was to experience it. Hopefully they learn something from this rollercoaster weekend and carry it into the playoffs! Go Rangers!!!

As exciting as the comeback was, I think the positive comments get lost in the fact that we are having difficulties beating the "good" teams. Hamilton handed us a breakaway, the goaltender pretty much put the next one in the net for us, and the rest was easy against a young team that started to collapse......much like we did against London and Saginaw.

No one is denying that the Rangers can't be explosive and exciting to watch. But we needed to do it against London and Saginaw. That is the concern. In those games, it was hard to find a positive. And everyone on here agrees that if we are to make a dent in the playoffs, we need some "serious fixin'". So let's prepare to get all excited again for Friday's game as Saturday is going to be another telling test.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
42 points not 55. He is 11th in the league for D scoring and considering how slow he started that’s pretty impressive. His exit pass out of the D zone is probably the best in the team. I’m quite happy with his progress this year.

There’s a reason we’re using Hawel at the top on the blueline lately instead of Bergkvist on the PP. Bergkvist turns the puck over too much. Sure he’s a good offensive D, but handing the opposition multiple scoring chances per game on the PP won’t win you many games in the post season.

Bergkvist isn't the only one doing it, but when your the last line of defense on the PP, these turnovers tend to be more costly.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Yup.....55 games played.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Considering he has been on PP1 all year, 42 points is pretty unimpressive. Sebrango is only 2 goals behind, with virtually no power play time.
Takes a while to adapt and indeed, he wasn't impressive (as mentioned) in the first part of the season but has really come on in this half. But everyone is impressed differently of course....

Mar 12, 2009
lol Bergkvist is not a bottom pairing D. Getting a 42 point D (around PPG since MM took over) with a late Import pick is quite good, but I guess some will complain about the strangest of things even when there isn't exactly a shortage of legitimate issues. He also hasn't been on PP1 all year (Sebrango was on it under Mckee). There are 2 or 3 other players on the first PP that I see making weak passess and playing with little pace, before Bergkvist.
It's not a matter of drastically changing the first PP, but of sitting vets who are underperforming/lacking effort and plugging in players lower in the lineup who are either performing better or giving a much better effort. For example, there have been several games lately where Damiani or Hawel or even Yantsis have been sloppy or lazy on the PP, where I felt Mcdonnel should have taken on of their places.

Last edited:

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
The disparity between the Eastern Conference and Western Conference became crystal clear on the weekend.
67s could not win against either western team. Not even the 5th place western team (Windsor). 67s would be middle of the pack team in the west. Scouts who have loaded the first round of the 2020 draft with 67s players based on amazing stats should be having some second thoughts.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
I Know we still have a lot of this year left however looking at next year we are losing 6 skaters (Damiani, Bergkvist Noel, Meireles, Hawel and Yantsis) and potentially 2 goalies (Pfeil and Ingham). We so far have replaced 2 of the 5 forwards with Sop and Martin. I personally would love to get Roman Schmidt, Caden Brown and Kyle Van Compernolle as well as Colin Purcell. Since, we don't have them signed I imagine this is our lineup heading into next year:

Valade-Petizian-McDonnell
Pinelli-Langdon-Fishman
Sop-Serpa-Martin
____-_____-____/Dickerson

Vukojevic-Sebrango
Ottavainen-MacPherson
Xhekaj-Wale
Motew

Pfeil (if not let go)
____

So in this upcoming draft I think we would not take a goalie early on b/c They would not be fully developed come time 2021-2022. I believe the Rangers can solve that issue in the import draft or maybe if Purcell signs. I think we don't take a D early on in the draft or in the import draft especially if Schmidt signs b/c we are so loaded on the back end and the only way to make room for them is to trade Vuks (which will most likely happen) or Wale/MacPherson. So in the 1st round we probably take a forward and maybe in the import draft we might take 1 (2002/2003) as well if Purcell signs. I think the off-season will be very interesting for the Rangers and I can't wait to see where the chips fall once this very exciting season ends.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I Know we still have a lot of this year left however looking at next year we are losing 6 skaters (Damiani, Bergkvist Noel, Meireles, Hawel and Yantsis) and potentially 2 goalies (Pfeil and Ingham). We so far have replaced 2 of the 5 forwards with Sop and Martin. I personally would love to get Roman Schmidt, Caden Brown and Kyle Van Compernolle as well as Colin Purcell. Since, we don't have them signed I imagine this is our lineup heading into next year:

Pinelli-Langdon-Fishman
Sop-Serpa-Martin

Vukojevic-Sebrango
Ottavainen-MacPherson
Xhekaj-Wale
Motew

Pfeil (if not let go)
____

So in this upcoming draft I think we would not take a goalie early on b/c They would not be fully developed come time 2021-2022. I believe the Rangers can solve that issue in the import draft or maybe if Purcell signs. I think we don't take a D early on in the draft or in the import draft especially if Schmidt signs b/c we are so loaded on the back end and the only way to make room for them is to trade Vuks (which will most likely happen) or Wale/MacPherson. So in the 1st round we probably take a forward and maybe in the import draft we might take 1 (2002/2003) as well if Purcell signs. I think the off-season will be very interesting for the Rangers and I can't wait to see where the chips fall once this very exciting season ends.

I can’t see a situation where Pfeil is back, especially not for a full season. I think he will go get paid by a team in the GOJHL.

the team has 3 3rds and no 2nds. I would hope to see MM trade up for a 2nd and get the best goalie he can. have to assume the 1st will be used on a forward.

let the goalie get 25-30 starts behind (Purcell?)

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Pinelli-Langdon-Fishman
Sop-Serpa-Martin

Vukojevic-Sebrango
Ottavainen-MacPherson
Xhekaj-Wale
Motew

Pfeil (if not let go)
____

At this point in time, I can see Damiani and Noel coming back as OA's. Sorry, just can't seem to picture them pro. Now Noel is starting to show flashes and he might be ready to turn pro after the season. Damiani needs some size and consistency. I would have included Ingham in this group but due to recent moves by LA, I think there will be a spot available for him somewhere in the system.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I can see a situation where we use Pfiel as an OA next year. We’ll be rebuilding in preparation to go on a run in 21-22. Therefore, we won’t be employing high end OA’s. If Ingham ever did return, he’d go directly on the market.

Sure it would be ideal to have two 17 year olds come in and share the duties and battle each other with the promise that the number one job in 21-22 would go to one of them. But I could also see a scenario where Pfiel shares the duties with a younger goalie (2002 or 03 born) who’s to be the starter in 21-22. Pfiel could start 25+ games with the future number one getting the rest.

Then we go into 21-22 with our number one set and if we draft a goalie with one of our 3rds in this draft, he’d be a rookie backup by then.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
At this point in time, I can see Damiani and Noel coming back as OA's. Sorry, just can't seem to picture them pro. Now Noel is starting to show flashes and he might be ready to turn pro after the season. Damiani needs some size and consistency. I would have included Ingham in this group but due to recent moves by LA, I think there will be a spot available for him somewhere in the system.

There were discussions on here a couple years ago where Bunnaman and Mascherin could possibly return as OA’s but at the end of the day, it was really never going to happen. I’m thinking we can place Damiani and Noel in that category. Like the above guys two years ago, it would be a shocker to get Damiani/Noel back next year.

I’m not holding my breath. Best to conduct our business as if they won’t be back.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully
Mar 12, 2009
I would be a lot of money that Noel does not come back.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
The disparity between the Eastern Conference and Western Conference became crystal clear on the weekend.
67s could not win against either western team. Not even the 5th place western team (Windsor). 67s would be middle of the pack team in the west. Scouts who have loaded the first round of the 2020 draft with 67s players based on amazing stats should be having some second thoughts.
This argument simply doesn't hold. Here are the stats as cited by OMG67:
Ottawa vs West 14-4-1 a .763%
Ottawa vs East .818%
He used 19 games to make the point, you used two.
I think Ottawa is as good as their record suggests.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
if either of Damiani or Noel is coming back as an OA, it’s Damiani and I’m sure he gets traded early on if that’s the case. I’m not familiar with the Dallas farm system, but I don’t think Damiani could stick on an AHL 4th line assuming that’s where he would be. the enforcers are still getting rooted out of the AHL and Damiani just wont last if matched up against that. and if he’s going to be in the ECHL, might as well have him play on a contender in the OHL

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Pfeil's a great kid but I don't think he's the guy to lean on in net in 2020-2021 season. Sorry. Either bring in an Ingham type goalie or if he will come....go with Purchell and perhaps Wong (note that in last year's draft, he was considered in the top 2 for goalies) unless there's something going on with him that I'm not aware of.

Mar 12, 2009
Pfeil's a great kid but I don't think he's the guy to lean on in net in 2020-2021 season. Sorry. Either bring in an Ingham type goalie or if he will come....go with Purchell and perhaps Wong (note that in last year's draft, he was considered in the top 2 for goalies) unless there's something going on with him that I'm not aware of.
do you have a source for that? I know Wu won top goalie at the OHL cup, but I never saw him ranked among the top 5 goalies

Mar 12, 2009
Prospect Pipeline had him at 13th.
that one is nice to get a list of players, but I compared it to the eventual draft results, and they were extremely far off on just about all goalies, not even ranking the 2nd highest goalie picked (Gibson Homer).

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

We can’t afford to buy an Ingham for next year. We’ll be rebuilding. We have no 2nds until 2024. We’ll be selling graduating assets.

In a down year, there’s nothing wrong with going with inexpensive OA’s. We did that last year, a down year, by using the OA’s we did.

If we did use Pfiel and a rookie, we wouldn’t be leaning on Pfiel. He’d be a place holder for a year. The younger goalie would likely get as many or more starts. I’d use Pfiel in games vs tough opponents to shield the young goalie from getting overwhelmed - especially early on.

Again, if we get two drafted goalie prospects to report, say Purcell and Wu for arguments sake, then of course Pfiel is odd man out. But I’m not spending any assets on a starter in a down year with a thin draft pick cupboard.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If you're speculating about drafting a 15 year old kid who has only had 15 year old players firing the puck at him, then developing him, you might as well throw darts at the dart board with your eyes closed. Especially with the Rangers record of developing goalies.

I think the route to go is scout unsigned 16 or 17 year olds in Tier II or JrB. At least they're another year or two older and have faced a higher level of competition. Just too many moving parts with 15 year old goalies imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad