Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Bobber, I like how you summed it up. It wasn't a blowout. Rangers played as well as they could. London is just stronger in net, on D and up front.

Still smiling from the Friday night win over Guelph.

I disagree that Kitchener played as well as they could. Wasn’t the same effort they put up on Friday at all.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I disagree that Kitchener played as well as they could. Wasn’t the same effort they put up on Friday at all.
I think it just never seemed like the same effort. London plugged up the middle and chipped away or picked off a ton of Ranger passes. Coach talked after the game about the Knights system. They practiced getting through the trap at centre ice by dumping pucks in and beating the Knights to the pucks. Never accomplished much that way. I would love to see a few more big physical kids the size of Yantsis here but doubt that happens . It is what it is this season

Reactions: aresknights

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I think we put in as good an effort today as we did on Friday. Guelph never showed up and London did. We had to give 100% effort today or the score would have been a lot worse. Pfeil played well but we kept an incredible amount of London's shots on goal from being dangerous scoring chances.

I said earlier that I'm not sold on DiPietro and I'm not sold on Raaymakers either. I think the dude in the Soo is the best in the west. Raaymakers may not be the best on his team. His rebound control today was atrocious. Had the Knights been playing a better team....

I liked what I saw from the kids today. Especially Sebrango and Langdon.

And let me add, it seems Vukojevic is being allowed to show his offensive game. Made a couple of nice rushes today.

Last edited:

RangerDanger

Jun 23, 2012
Although speed and skill have become more important in light of rule changes/style of play over the last number of years, puck possession has also become more important ( face off wins etc). Size plays an important role in aquiring and maintaining puck possession. Not only height ( ie reach, puck protection) but also weight (ie not being knocked off the puck). The Duco's and Azevedo's had the latter and were effective in relation to winning and maintaining puck possession. Last year we traded for the height/weight/skill to make a run which was lacking ( Brown, Smith, Stanley etc). The difficulty with our drafting over the last several years is that the Rangers appear to ignore the importance of the projected weight of most of its draftees as well as their projected height. As a result,the current roster is the shortest team since 1981/82 with the lowest average weight since 1968/69. A team which faces an uphill battle in relation to many aspects of the game.

Elite Prospects - Average physical stats for Kitchener Rangers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Still smiling from the Friday night win over Guelph.

Yeah, well it was an impressive win but I'm not looking forward to Feb 15 over in Guelph. The last time we beat Guelph in our first meeting of the season, they took it out on us big time the next game.

They battered us physically like I haven't seen before this season. It cost us Gentles to a slew foot injury and Meireles getting slammed face first into the glass. Their vets spent time mugging our 16 year olds at will with no response. (That crap happened today too. I don't know why but guys like Coome, Cotter and others really took it to Langdon.)

Sure, Guelph didn't show up the other night so the loss was partially self inflicted, but make no mistake, Feb 15 is circled on their calendar. I think their going to make us pay. The embarrassment of that trick play will not be forgotten.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yeah, well it was an impressive win but I'm not looking forward to Feb 15 over in Guelph. The last time we beat Guelph in our first meeting of the season, they took it out on us big time the next game.

They battered us physically like I haven't seen before this season. It cost us Gentles to a slew foot injury and Meireles getting slammed face first into the glass. Their vets spent time mugging our 16 year olds at will with no response. (That crap happened today too. I don't know why but guys like Coome, Cotter and others really took it to Langdon.)

Sure, Guelph didn't show up the other night so the loss was partially self inflicted, but make no mistake, Feb 15 is circled on their calendar. I think their going to make us pay. The embarrassment of that trick play will not be forgotten.
Even I thought about this also. We actually lost Stepien in the Friday.
The Storm needed to gel as a team with all the changes. I agree we will see a different team next time. They are a big team and I am sure will be told to use their size going forward.
In this league there are always surprises. I doubt we have another one this year. As long as the Rangers give all they can most fans will go home relatively happy.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Even I thought about this also. We actually lost Stepien in the Friday.
The Storm needed to gel as a team with all the changes. I agree we will see a different team next time. They are a big team and I am sure will be told to use their size going forward.
In this league there are always surprises. I doubt we have another one this year. As long as the Rangers give all they can most fans will go home relatively happy.
We are really about a 500% club in winning percentage. So it should be clear that further changes will have to be made next year to rise above that.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
One thing noticeable in yesterday's game was how opponents take liberties with younger and smaller players. I think it's part of the game now that fighting has almost disappeared. Still looking at the Knights. Hunters always have a few players that can handle themselves if opposing players take such liberties. I think the Rangers take too much abuse in scrums. Not sure if they are intimidated or they are directed not to retaliate. On average they usually look smaller up front than other squads especially when confronted after whistles around opposing goaltenders. Just wondering what others think?

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
One thing noticeable in yesterday's game was how opponents take liberties with younger and smaller players. I think it's part of the game now that fighting has almost disappeared. Still looking at the Knights. Hunters always have a few players that can handle themselves if opposing players take such liberties. I think the Rangers take too much abuse in scrums. Not sure if they are intimidated or they are directed not to retaliate. On average they usually look smaller up front than other squads especially when confronted after whistles around opposing goaltenders. Just wondering what others think?
Funny its not the brand of hockey you see in the local Kitchener-Waterloo area, in minor hockey or Jr. B. Generally from my minor hockey days we always associated Kitchener and Waterloo teams as being tough and physical.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Disagree that Rangers had the same game on Sunday as they did Friday. Absolutely did a lot of watching as London buzzed around and weren't beating them to the puck like they did against Guelph. This was especially evident in the 2nd period. I thought Rangers PK was good but the PP was sloppy with a few great scoring chances that were missed. Kudos for avoiding a blow out. And thank you for keeping the team in good draft pick contention.

London is absolutely a top team...no doubt. You sure can't let London set up in your zone. Once in, they're like a machine and difficult to rid of. And while London traps well in their own zone, it was fun to see them fall in disarray those few times Rangers were hustling.

It was great to see (not) that London's diving skills still rank #1 pretty much anywhere. I particularly enjoyed when a London player backed up, tripped over Vuks stick, and then had an Oscar moment on the ice.

Reactions: SYWTom

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Disagree that Rangers had the same game on Sunday as they did Friday. Absolutely did a lot of watching as London buzzed around and weren't beating them to the puck like they did against Guelph. This was especially evident in the 2nd period. I thought Rangers PK was good but the PP was sloppy with a few great scoring chances that were missed. Kudos for avoiding a blow out. And thank you for keeping the team in good draft pick contention.

London is absolutely a top team...no doubt. You sure can't let London set up in your zone. Once in, they're like a machine and difficult to rid of. And while London traps well in their own zone, it was fun to see them fall in disarray those few times Rangers were hustling.

It was great to see (not) that London's diving skills still rank #1 pretty much anywhere. I particularly enjoyed when a London player backed up, tripped over Vuks stick, and then had an Oscar moment on the ice.
That was a great dive that deserved a metal but if you go on the Sudbury site and look at the posted video of Dogs captain Jones dive he deserves and Academy Award at the very least or maybe a Victoria Cross. It's almost funny to watch:) As for the Knights they outcoached the Rangers terribly with their players buying into their system in this one and the Rangers could only muster a few exciting moments the whole game. One thing that stood out was that they bumped and held the Rangers and disrupted any play they got going. I don't think the Rangers were flat in this they just were not allowed to compete.

Reactions: SYWTom

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
One thing that is clear as day after seeing Sudbury, North Bay, London and Niagara (amongst others) come into our building is that MM has to address the lack of size and toughness. Yes, I know the game has changed and it's about speed and skill, but there is obviously still a place for some grit and toughness. When teams repeatedly come in your building with a game plan to push you around and get in your face, it speaks volumes about the team you've put together.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
One thing that is clear as day after seeing Sudbury, North Bay, London and Niagara (amongst others) come into our building is that MM has to address the lack of size and toughness. Yes, I know the game has changed and it's about speed and skill, but there is obviously still a place for some grit and toughness. When teams repeatedly come in your building with a game plan to push you around and get in your face, it speaks volumes about the team you've put together.
Yesterday the Knights gave most of the Ranger players a little shot. Nothing out of sorts but they back each other up and sometimes chirped the player they hit letting them know who was in the building. Shows confidence when you are in an opposition barn and act like you are at home. You can only act like that if you can back it up physically and on the score board.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When a team has two or three big tough skilled players the smaller players all grow 12 inches out there. One 40 year fan was shocked yesterday when big Yantsus threw a nice hard hit. Rangers have a few bigger players. They should try to throw a few hard hits once in a while. Slows the opposition down a bit and shakes pucks loose. Guess all we can do is watch.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
When a team has two or three big tough skilled players the smaller players all grow 12 inches out there. One 40 year fan was shocked yesterday when big Yantsus threw a nice hard hit. Rangers have a few bigger players. They should try to throw a few hard hits once in a while. Slows the opposition down a bit and shakes pucks loose. Guess all we can do is watch.

True about Yantsis. But as big as he is, there isn't a whole lot of grit. Comparable to Bunnaman in that department. He put the body to Coome I believe yesterday and when Coome came back at him, Yantsis couldn't get out of there quick enough.

If he could incorporate that into his game, his stock would rise in the eyes of NHL scouts.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
One 40 year fan was shocked yesterday when big Yantsus threw a nice hard hit.

Make that two!

I think we put in as good an effort today as we did on Friday.

Agreed, I'd have preferred a win but suppose those are the results I expect against a top team this year & our play was quite strong at times. A couple big saves or a couple fewer giveaways and maybe we're close at the end. Being able to ice a McHugh and/or Stepien would quite possibly have proven more potent than pressing JackEye into service up front too. London's intentionally icing the puck but repeatedly beating us out scheme sure showed off their speedsters.

Raaymakers may not be the best on his team. His rebound control today was atrocious. Had the Knights been playing a better team....

Perhaps Dale would have been more 'sporting' and had BUG Justin Richer tend net yesterday :help:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
That was a great dive that deserved a metal but if you go on the Sudbury site and look at the posted video of Dogs captain Jones dive he deserves and Academy Award at the very least or maybe a Victoria Cross. It's almost funny to watch:) As for the Knights they outcoached the Rangers terribly with their players buying into their system in this one and the Rangers could only muster a few exciting moments the whole game. One thing that stood out was that they bumped and held the Rangers and disrupted any play they got going. I don't think the Rangers were flat in this they just were not allowed to compete.
Didn't think the Rangers were flat. I just don't think they played as hard as they did on Friday against Guelph. And not only held the Rangers....but their sticks....and....lol. But definitely they play their system....all four lines. And they do like to whine when things don't go their way.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Yesterday the Knights gave most of the Ranger players a little shot. Nothing out of sorts but they back each other up and sometimes chirped the player they hit letting them know who was in the building. Shows confidence when you are in an opposition barn and act like you are at home. You can only act like that if you can back it up physically and on the score board.
And of course, they have....many times...over a few years now.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
True about Yantsis. But as big as he is, there isn't a whole lot of grit. Comparable to Bunnaman in that department. He put the body to Coome I believe yesterday and when Coome came back at him, Yantsis couldn't get out of there quick enough.

If he could incorporate that into his game, his stock would rise in the eyes of NHL scouts.

I was thinking of that exact play Even. I'm not saying we need a goon or to stoop to anyone's level. But body language and attitude are important. And when your biggest player takes a punch to the head and scampers away without eye contact, it tells the other team they have free reign.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Gatorwah

Apr 23, 2015
Todays article by Josh Brown doesn't touch the true issue with the Rangers. All great organizations have great leaders - just ask the Leaf fans. This organization which is owned by the fans; needs it elected board of directors to have the conviction and resolve to make the change in the COO position. Only then will all the other things he notes fall into place.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Todays article by Josh Brown doesn't touch the true issue with the Rangers. All great organizations have great leaders - just ask the Leaf fans. This organization which is owned by the fans; needs it elected board of directors to have the conviction and resolve to make the change in the COO position. Only then will all the other things he notes fall into place.

I'm not seeing this article anywhere. Can you please provide a link?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Kitchener Rangers have work to do to get back to an OHL final

It's a good assessment of the current talent on the team. It doesn't paint a rosey picture to say the least. I have to say I agree 100% with his assessment regarding scouting. Why has it taken so long for this to come to light?

I still think it's an old boys club. No mention of why Hiebert is hanging around or what he is responsible for. I would say the scouting problems are his fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobber

Oryx05

Jan 13, 2018

I disagree regarding the COO, Steve B. I've worked for him and the Rangers, he's phenomenal to work for, strong business savvy. The contributions he has made to this team will have him honoured when he eventually departs, no doubt.

I see your point, but think you missed the mark slightly. I believe its the Board of Directors that needs to be gutted. Its an old boys and girls club. The politics amongst the group is frightening. Its difficult for new blood to get in when some of these people leverage their friendships with other directors to get re-elected, but bring no value. Just collecting their 2 season tickets, showing up for the minimum number of meetings required, and once a month selling some 50/50 tickets....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia