Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Nothing Brock Otten said about Vuk was untrue. His lack of offensive development and too-frequent turnovers have hindered him. Having said that, I still think he has all the tools to be a total gem. He has blips, but if a coach reins him in and gets him a little more active in the rush and engaged physically, he will be an absolute steal if he's picked 3rd round or lower. Some of the other kids ranked slightly higher on Brock's list don't have nearly the pro upside of Vuk.

As far as his offensive development goes, he should've been on the first PP unit from the start of the season. Outside of Joey, there's nobody else who should be back there ahead of him. We are in a development year. We need to develop our young players.

Joey and Vukojevic on the first PP unit. Sebrango and whoever on the second.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Board of Directors are season ticket holders, elected by season ticket holders. Buy season tickets and put your name up for election. You're obviously are smarter and more experienced than any of them.

Can't sell the team to private interests. It's in the charter that it always be a Community owned team.

What would you do differently than the current COO?

Last season, we were one goal away from the league final.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I'm not sure MM had the experience when they hired him to fill those boots. Not advocating firing anyone just wish they looked at experienced knowledgeable people when they need a hire a GM.

I personally think Murray Hiebert still has a lot to say how this organization is run as Director of Hockey Operations. That's for better or worse depending on your opinion. By changing his title from GM, it has taken the heat off him.

When MM was promoted to GM I was hoping he had autonomy to run things and make decisions. Pretty sure that's not the case.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This organization has hit an devastating low. The once mighty Ranger brand is tarnished and we the dedicated fans have been leading an agonizing death. At crucial times like this it takes bold and decisive action - and to be clear its the Board of Directors that need to take action. And this to me is the crux of the issue - the board consists of individuals who lack the experience and conviction in making tough decisions. They need to clean house and bring in a new Chief Operating Officer or failing that sell the team to private interests. I'm sure this new ownership would more capably put a consistently competitive product on the ice, enthusiastic fans back into the arena and restore the Ranger brand back to its former proud self.
Listen Gator. I know a couple of directors or former ones. They aren't there to hire and fire anyone. Most fans just want to see changes in the way the scouting and development of players. Nothing as drastic as cleaning house and selling to private investors. We had some lawyer fellow that was STH that tried to undermine the Ranger organization and tried to garner the votes of other STH for some sneaky deal he had cooked up with others.
No need to go back to that era.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Nothing Brock Otten said about Vuk was untrue. His lack of offensive development and too-frequent turnovers have hindered him. Having said that, I still think he has all the tools to be a total gem. He has blips, but if a coach reins him in and gets him a little more active in the rush and engaged physically, he will be an absolute steal if he's picked 3rd round or lower. Some of the other kids ranked slightly higher on Brock's list don't have nearly the pro upside of Vuk.
I think we all saw what Vuk is capable of last year. Kid has what it takes if development continues in the right direction.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
Board of Directors are season ticket holders, elected by season ticket holders. Buy season tickets and put your name up for election. You're obviously are smarter and more experienced than any of them.

Can't sell the team to private interests. It's in the charter that it always be a Community owned team.

So they have one good year out of how many? Teams like London and SSM continuously contend, they might have one down year to recoup and then they are back to being a top team. The Rangers should be in the same boat as London, with the amount of money that comes in they should be hiring the best people available.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

They had to sell an arm and a leg in picks to do it. Brown, Smith, Sherwood, Stanley, McEneny and Culina were all acquired via trade. A whole line and their starting goalie. It cost them 9 2nds, 4 3rds, a 4th, a 5th, an 8th and Grayson Ladd.

I'm all for trading to contend in a go for it year, but if you aren't going to be able to go on a run every 3-4 years if it's costing you 9 2nds, 4 3rds and a first round drafted rookie. If they had that cupboard of picks this year they could've done the same and probably competed with Saginaw and Guelph which is saying something about how much they traded that year.

You have to develop some of these guys yourself. Sure they had Mascherin, Garreffa, Bunnaman, Damiani, etc. but we all know without the 6 guys they traded for they go no where

Mar 12, 2009
They had to sell an arm and a leg in picks to do it. Brown, Smith, Sherwood, Stanley, McEneny and Culina were all acquired via trade. A whole line and their starting goalie. It cost them 9 2nds, 4 3rds, a 4th, a 5th, an 8th and Grayson Ladd.
All things considered, the price paid was very fair at worst and rather cheap at best. Getting what we got for what we traded, and retaining 2 2nd round picks for the last draft is a win imo. Especially considering what some teams gave up last year and what some gave up this year. I disagree that we could have done the same this year if we had the same picks. Without Ranger draft picks like Bunnaman and Mascherin, and without much defensive depth this year, you'd be needing to add significantly more than we had to add last year in order to contend the way we did.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
All things considered, the price paid was very fair at worst and rather cheap at best. Getting what we got for what we traded, and retaining 2 2nd round picks for the last draft is a win imo. Especially considering what some teams gave up last year and what some gave up this year. I disagree that we could have done the same this year if we had the same picks. Without Ranger draft picks like Bunnaman and Mascherin, and without much defensive depth this year, you'd be needing to add significantly more than we had to add last year in order to contend the way we did.
Torgo I also think it was good asset management keeping the 2 2nds. That never happen before when the Rangers made a run. They usually cleaned out the picks. I believe in Saxon's write up in the Mercury he said the Storm traded off 8 players this season and brought in ten. He still had a base of drafted players that were needed to contend this season. Of course a team has to have more than a full cupboard to accomplish this.

Reactions: OhSheila

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I personally think Murray Hiebert still has a lot to say how this organization is run as Director of Hockey Operations. That's for better or worse depending on your opinion. By changing his title from GM, it has taken the heat off him.

When MM was promoted to GM I was hoping he had autonomy to run things and make decisions. Pretty sure that's not the case.

I know a GM in the Junior B Loop and when dealing with Rangers players in the system, they deal with Murray Hiebert and not MM. Which is a bit strange. Isn't the GM supposed to have a hold on the full roster?

Reactions: rangersblues

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
People, relax.
We aren’t a dumpster fire.
We didn’t give up everything for our run last year.

Every contender this year has added a lot of pieces similar to what we did last year. It’s the nature of the beast!

Look at other teams that were selling, only Owen Sound sold every piece off. Hamilton kept Strome, Sarnia McGregor, etc.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We played pretty good but Guelph didn't show up tonight and we took advantage.

Entertaining game though but we're rebuilding. Can we decline the points? ;)

Help me out. How did the final goal get scored? Farwell talked about a trick play. I was fussing with the kids at the game and didn't start watching until Damiani was on the breakaway.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Help me out. How did the final goal get scored? Farwell talked about a trick play. I was fussing with the kids at the game and didn't start watching until Damiani was on the breakaway.

A player (I'm not sure who) got off the ice at one end of the bench and Damiani came on the ice at the other end of bench. That's how he got behind everybody for the breakaway. Looks pretty clever when they pull it off like that.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
A player (I'm not sure who) got off the ice at one end of the bench and Damiani came on the ice at the other end of bench. That's how he got behind everybody for the breakaway. Looks pretty clever when they pull it off like that.

Yes...it was very clever play drawn up. So clever that it fooled all 7300 in the building, including the 4 rookie officials. It should have been blown down for too many players on the ice. Hugg was still standing on the ice by the defensive door and Damiani had gone out the offensive door and was already standing in the centre ice circle awaiting the pass up from Baby Joe. Meireles had won the faceoff all the way back into the Ranger zone from Suzuki, then he came back and circled in his own zone, Hugg drifted back to the Rangers defensive door, Baby Joe fired the pass up to Damani. Damani made no mistake on the break away. Good win for the Rangers all in all. Not sure if Petizian really wants to take on Gordeev in the corner. He also was getting shoved around for about 30 seconds on one shift by Phillips. Just playing an energy roll I guess. Also thought that was an amazing pass by Ratcliffe to Entwhistle at the start of the second period.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Yes...it was very clever play drawn up. So clever that it fooled all 7300 in the building, including the 4 rookie officials. It should have been blown down for too many players on the ice. Hugg was still standing on the ice by the defensive door and Damiani had gone out the offensive door and was already standing in the centre ice circle awaiting the pass up from Baby Joe. Meireles had won the faceoff all the way back into the Ranger zone from Suzuki, then he came back and circled in his own zone, Hugg drifted back to the Rangers defensive door, Baby Joe fired the pass up to Damani. Damani made no mistake on the break away. Good win for the Rangers all in all. Not sure if Petizian really wants to take on Gordeev in the corner. He also was getting shoved around for about 30 seconds on one shift by Phillips. Just playing an energy roll I guess. Also thought that was an amazing pass by Ratcliffe to Entwhistle at the start of the second period.

I dunno. I'm seeing Hugg half in the bench when Damiani jumps on the ice. Doesn't look close to too many. POTN – Damiani’s OT Winner – Ontario Hockey League

Mar 12, 2009
I want the best possible draft pick, but if you give me that effort against that calibre of team, I support winning in a rivalry game. Great effort, great win. Not much else to say.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

That's not a new trick. I read a book years ago where it told of various Roger Neilson tricks. He did that while coaching Peterboro in the 70's.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Dunno....I’m watching the 2nd frame...pause it at .12 Hugg is just starting to lift his legs over the boards...Damani has already taken two strides and is even with the centre ice official...then Baby Joe fires the pass up.
I think the player coming off the ice only has to be within 5' of the bench if the player entering the ice has not touched the puck.
Rule 74 – Too Many Men on the Ice
74.1 Too Many Men on the Ice - Players may be changed at any time
during the play from the players’ bench provided that the player or
players leaving the ice shall be within five feet (5') of his players’
bench and out of the play before the change is made. Refer also to
Rule 71 – Premature Substitution. At the discretion of the on-ice
officials, should a substituting player come onto the ice before his
teammate is within the five foot (5’) limit of the players’ bench (and
therefore clearly causing his team to have too many players on the
ice), then a bench minor penalty may be assessed.

Reactions: aresknights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad