Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Here's hoping we add a couple of 01's before tomorrow noon and a couple prominent 99's move on.

A good start would be a couple "unexpected" scratches for tonight's game.

But at this point, I'm not holding my breath.
Even don't hold your breath the line up is the same with the exception of McHugh. New player not there.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
my guess is that we see 1 of Meireles and Yantsis go tomorrow. Teams at 13 forwards as it is with Tresoor out indefinitely, so 12. I doubt they will get a forward for both Yantsis and Meireles (unless it’s another Rupoli typed deal) but I also don’t think Serpa is ready to be up here to finish the season

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
my guess is that we see 1 of Meireles and Yantsis go tomorrow. Teams at 13 forwards as it is with Tresoor out indefinitely, so 12. I doubt they will get a forward for both Yantsis and Meireles (unless it’s another Rupoli typed deal) but I also don’t think Serpa is ready to be up here to finish the season

They could call Gordon back up if need be. I think Serpa has to stay at JrB until his team's season is over. B card.

Good job tonight helping our spiral towards the basement. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being honest. I don't want to climb the standings in a rebuild season.

Tonight is the kind of game that you don't mind seeing in a rebuilding season. Kept it close but didn't get the points.

Once the deadline passes, what happened in the third period can't happen on a regular basis. We went with the top two lines (vets) almost exclusively. We are rebuilding. That means getting our young guys the experience of having to try to get back into games. They need the experience of playing from behind in pressure situations.

Personally, I'd be sharing up the ice across the board. Get the kids the minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I'm hoping we move at least two 99's tomorrow. I keep Meireles and move two of Yantsis, Garreffa, Hugg. But to be honest, I'm not the least bit confident anything is going to happen.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I hope Sudbury and Kitchener get a deal done tomorrow involving Yantsis and could see Tabak (01 born) being part of the package. Deal would make sense for both teams

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I hope Sudbury and Kitchener get a deal done tomorrow involving Yantsis and could see Tabak (01 born) being part of the package. Deal would make sense for both teams

I heard a report that Yantsis along with Meireles was vetoing deals to certain cities. Meireles I understand. Yantsis not so much.

He was a free agent signing. Usually, those guys are just happy to be here when they are being signed. I would be surprised if he had a NTC.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Sure would. Yantsis at it again tonight. Two more goals. 28 total so far. +2 in a game they lost. He isn't slowing down.

Tabak, 2nd in 19 (Bar), 3rd in 22, *2nd in 24, *4th in 22. Conditions on OA season.

Sounds a little light to me for a guy scoring at the rate Yantsis is. But it's a buyer's market so that has to be taken into account.

But based on the McHugh trade, I'm so disillusioned by our GM's thinking that I'm not sure what value to put on a player anymore.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I'm hoping the hounds can make a deal for yantsis and gareffa.

I heard somewhere that yantsis has family here so probs would be one of the teams he'd go to. That's just hearsay though.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm hoping the hounds can make a deal for yantsis and gareffa.

I heard somewhere that yantsis has family here so probs would be one of the teams he'd go to. That's just hearsay though.

That would be a nice destination for these guys. Yantsis two more goals tonight for 28 on the season. Garreffa would be a good PP QB. And both are highly likely to return for OA seasons. Selling them off along with Hayton would kick off your rebuild just nice.

Based on your cupboard, it would take a body of two to get a deal done. 01's please!

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
I'll be listening to the game tomorrow night on the radio. No doubt Farwell and Pope will put a team friendly spin this trade. No doubt they will give MacKenzie every accolade.

They turned my stomach last game when they were giddy about the possibility of the Rangers standing pat and climbing up the standings to as high as fifth in the conference.

They gushed about the possibility of Owen Sound and other sellers in the conference falling behind us. It bugged the crap out of me knowing that no matter where we finish in this conference, anywhere from 5th to 8th, we're going out the first round and we're going out easy.

I feel that way even moreso now with all the additions that three of the top four teams have made in the last few days. And I expect the Soo to make a couple additions as well.

All climbing up to fifth in the conference accomplishes is sabotaging our positions in the OHL and import drafts.
I missed the game and only saw the score tonight. What did they say about the trade?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
They pointed out that they hated to see McHugh go. Character guy. Heart and soul and will be missed.

But they both said they thought the return was underwhelming. They expected more for McHugh (as we all did).

But they said that we see him every game and realize his value. His stat line doesn't tell the tale with this player. Other teams trading for him wouldn't see the whole package as we do. They basically were saying why they thought the return was low and giving MM a pass on the low return.

Very good assessment IMO. I pretty much agree with their point of view.

Last edited:

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
They pointed out that they hated to see McHugh go. Character guy. Heart and soul and will be missed.

But they both said they thought the return was underwhelming. They expected more for McHugh (as we all did).

But they said that we see him every game and realize his value. His stat line doesn't tell the tale with this player. Other teams trading for him wouldn't see the whole package as we do. They basically were saying why they thought the return was low and giving MM a pass on the low return.

Interesting. Maybe they didn't think anyone from the team would be listening. :)

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Interesting. Maybe they didn't think anyone from the team would be listening. :)

They were diplomatic in their comments. Instead of getting excited about the low return as many of us did on here, they tried to make sense of it.

As you may have guessed from my post that you quoted regarding how I predicted they'd opine on the trade, I didn't expect to hear the word "underwhelming".

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
They could call Gordon back up if need be. I think Serpa has to stay at JrB until his team's season is over. B card.

Good job tonight helping our spiral towards the basement. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being honest. I don't want to climb the standings in a rebuild season.

Tonight is the kind of game that you don't mind seeing in a rebuilding season. Kept it close but didn't get the points.

Once the deadline passes, what happened in the third period can't happen on a regular basis. We went with the top two lines (vets) almost exclusively. We are rebuilding. That means getting our young guys the experience of having to try to get back into games. Thy need to experience of playing from behind in pressure situations.

Personally, I'd be sharing up the ice across the board. Get the kids the minutes.

Erie Acquired a goalie better then the 2 they have.

A 2000 born forward who scored 17 goals last year needing a change of scenery

and are on the verge of acquiring Minny Wild draft pick Jacob Golden from London.

There is a very real chance they can pass the rangers. I am not complaining about it either.

Get the best possible 1st round pick you can get in a year where the 4th overall pick gets you the 3rd best 2003 born prospect!

Mar 12, 2009

Wait, you agree with Farwell? Has hell frozen over? ;P

I have a feeling there will be no further moves, Meireless using his NTC to stay seems the likely outcome and not sure I was ever confident they'd move Gareffa. I'd be more ok keeping Gareffa if this team/coaching staff had any kind of concrete plan for him. Flip flopping him from forward to D would be useful to our team in a contending year (like last year) but it's also kind of bad for development. Yantsis not getting moved would be a head scratcher. We'd have 3 of the better OAs (provided this season is no fluke for Yantsis) in the league next year, but that doesn't really fit the window to "go for it" for our younger corp.

Get the best possible 1st round pick you can get in a year where the 4th overall pick gets you the 3rd best 2003 born prospect!
Well, the 3rd best willing to report any way. A few players in that top 6 or so have NCAA commits or at least USNTDP.

Oryx05

Jan 13, 2018
Well, the 3rd best willing to report any way. A few players in that top 6 or so have NCAA commits or at least USNTDP.

Same story every year. Top prospects drool when teams like Kitchener draft high.

At this rate we might even get that player who was granted exceptional status. Can't imagine he's showing up in Flint.

On that note though, its one of the reasons the league will never have true parity - players trying to control their own destiny. Teams like Flint will only get better as an organization, top to bottom, if some of these top guys would report. Chicken and Egg.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Same story every year. Top prospects drool when teams like Kitchener draft high.

At this rate we might even get that player who was granted exceptional status. Can't imagine he's showing up in Flint.

On that note though, its one of the reasons the league will never have true parity - players trying to control their own destiny. Teams like Flint will only get better as an organization, top to bottom, if some of these top guys would report. Chicken and Egg.
Truer words were never spoken ORXY05 :) The parents of all these top draftable players use the commitments as leverage. One thing that has been bandied about is that this upcoming draft is weak. Reading the glowing scouting reports on the prospect thread they all sound like we should pick them. The top 5 to 10 are usually fairly stable picks that turn into decent OHL players. It soon becomes a crap shoot if it's a weak draft.
Scouts really have to know their stuff. Some teams seem to find diamonds in the rough every draft for some reason. Not sure it's happening here. Yantsis is ours but was a free agent.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
for what it’s worth the rangers instagram just posted that there’s a player appearance with Meireles, Yantsis, Hugg, Damiani and Richardson. Maybe a Garreffa trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad