Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I know this trade doesn't scream value, but we're not privy to the conversations.

McHugh, I like him, he seems to be a great kid, he isn't the kind of player thats going to net us 2nds. We don't have elite talent on this team, we shouldn't expect an elite return.

Was I expecting a better package? Absolutely. Looking at the trades that have taken place, there are a number where the return is underwhelming. Only players to receive the wow return have been the WJHC players, and thats usually expected.

I totally agree. I don't want to speak for other posters, but I want to clarify what I think is most of our positions on this trade: We realize McHugh is not a top tier guy and the return wasn't likely to be 2nds and/or prospects. But it is for that reason that we wanted to keep him. His value to this team was higher than the realistic return. So don't move him for a decent pick in four years. That's all I'm saying.

The caveat is the point we've raised about not knowing what went on behind the scenes. It was quite possibly to accommodate him. But if not, we're quite entitled to hate the trade because I'm sure we would have gotten at least that in the off-season if you want to move him then. There was no point selling low now. The assets I want to move are the ones who will command 2nds. And 2nds this draft, not in 2023.

Oryx05

Jan 13, 2018
I totally agree. I don't want to speak for other posters, but I want to clarify what I think is most of our positions on this trade: We realize McHugh is not a top tier guy and the return wasn't likely to be 2nds and/or prospects. But it is for that reason that we wanted to keep him. His value to this team was higher than the realistic return. So don't move him for a decent pick in four years. That's all I'm saying.

The caveat is the point we've raised about not knowing what went on behind the scenes. It was quite possibly to accommodate him. But if not, we're quite entitled to hate the trade because I'm sure we would have gotten at least that in the off-season if you want to move him then. There was no point selling low now. The assets I want to move are the ones who will command 2nds. And 2nds this draft, not in 2023.

And thats fair, I would agree his value is higher to the Rangers than the return. It could have been a situation as well where he would be happy in Missy, could get him there now, as opposed to not knowing where they would have to send him in off-season. Rangers are usually quite loyal to their guys, and want to put them in situations they will succeed or enjoy.

Hopefully any other deals garner better return.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Owen Sound and Guelph. BOOM.

Waiting. Did Sudbury move out their import so they can acquire Hugg?
And will Ottawa go for Meireles? Stay tuned I guess. Maybe. Or not.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If the reason for trading McHugh was he wanted out of Kitchener, I really have to question what the hell is going on here. I don't buy any of these excuses for this trade. I've supported MM and still continue. But this is a noggin scratcher.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers really only have a couple of players that are drafted by NHL teams. Pro scouts look for size and skill and have to try and project how they think a player will develop and fit into an NHL roster going forward. Rangers really haven't had a lot of success with having players drafted in the past few years. Damiani and Lipanov are our only two I believe.
NHL drafted players are usually considered to add more value to a contending team. On a side note: McHugh's mom agreed with me on social media that we should have kept Nick as an OA if that's all that was offered for him.

Reactions: rangersblues

rgr4life

Jan 9, 2017
Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe McHugh doesn't come back for an OA season? Or any of the 99's for that matter.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe McHugh doesn't come back for an OA season? Or any of the 99's for that matter.

The argument can be made that there are OA's in the league this year who are a little higher end or better than any of our current 99's.

So yes, all of them will very likely play OA seasons next year. Just not all here.

But I'm betting if Joey isn't traded at this deadline, and if he doesn't finish the season on D, then he asks for a trade in the off season.

Reactions: bobber
Mar 12, 2009
If they wanted to do him a favour they could have traded him next year at the deadline when he wasn't coming back the following season. Teams that are in 8th place with no real light at the end of the tunnel don't owe anyone favours. No excuses as far as I'm concerned.

It's like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic except they basically threw one of the best chairs overboard.
If Tim is correct, no they couldn't have done him that favor next year. Cole Carter is an OA this year, if McHugh wanted to play with him, trading him their next year wouldn't have been any favor.

It's not a good trade at all but I feel some are getting so caught up on it that we're moving from legitimate grievances (there are several) to more nit-picky complaints that don't fully line up.

I agree with a lot of what is being said, but I find once things get negative here, everyone kind of feeds into theirs and others negativity in the heat of the moment, amplifying bad things and exaggerating them into a catastrophe. I agree it's a bad trade, but using it as an example of MM "running this organization into the ground" is laughable hyperbole imo. MM has made 2 legitimately bad trades in his tenure, among some good and some just decent trades. MM is still a step up from what we've had the last decade or so under Smith and Spott.

This isn't a good reason to feel less strongly about this trade, but seeing what OS got for Durzi & Suzuki...oh boy I don't want to know how we would respond to that return for those types of players. It would be the reaction to the Bracco trade x10 imo. Unless, like the Bracco deal, there is a 2nd part...until then, woof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gondrex and SYWTom

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
MM has made 2 legitimately bad trades in his tenure, among some good and some just decent trades. MM is still a step up from what we've had the last decade or so under Smith and Spott.

Agreed. On no level is this a catastrophe. A head-scratcher for sure, but not of the magnitude to be considered a disaster.

My main complaint is the pick being so far out. Seems like MM could have at least done better on that, but who knows. I'm also a tad surprised there was no conditional pick for him playing an OA year. That's pretty standard unless both teams already know he will/won't.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Agreed. On no level is this a catastrophe. A head-scratcher for sure, but not of the magnitude to be considered a disaster.

My main complaint is the pick being so far out. Seems like MM could have at least done better on that, but who knows. I'm also a tad surprised there was no conditional pick for him playing an OA year. That's pretty standard unless both teams already know he will/won't.

You're right. A head scratcher. Though as has been stated, I'd rather have the 1.5 years service than those picks for this player.

But not a catastrophe. The OS/Gue Suzuki deal? Now there's a catastrophe if you're an OS fan!

Yikes!!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sarnia just got a nice return for their import Ruzicka. One less landing spot for Hugg.

Oryx05

Jan 13, 2018
I keep reading how incompetent the Sudbury brass are. They apparently have 3 people making calls. 1 such call was to a team that had already moved the d-man to Saginaw a month prior, and another was after the 12pm O/A deadline today in regards to an O/A....

I guess I'm not surprised by this given the state of their ownership and management in years past....

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I keep reading how incompetent the Sudbury brass are. They apparently have 3 people making calls. 1 such call was to a team that had already moved the d-man to Saginaw a month prior, and another was after the 12pm O/A deadline today in regards to an O/A....

I guess I'm not surprised by this given the state of their ownership and management in years past....

I think Sudbury management made a mistake acquiring Ruzicka. Hugg probably would've come a little cheaper and is a whole lot better all-around player. Ruzicka was terrible in the playoffs last year. A non-factor in the series versus Kitchener. Three assists over 12 games in the postseason. Sarnia fans did nothing but complain on these boards about this player's performance versus Kitchener.

I'm afraid Sudbury is going to regret making this trade.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Our ownership in fine. Even coaching is alright. Management is full of incompetent imbeciles. Frankly wipe (nearly) everyone out and we could build something around Quiton next season

member 236327

I think Sudbury management made a mistake acquiring Ruzicka. Hugg probably would've come a little cheaper and is a whole lot better all-around player. Ruzicka was terrible in the playoffs last year. A non-factor in the series versus Kitchener. Three assists over 12 games in the postseason. Sarnia fans did nothing but complain on these boards about this player's performance versus Kitchener.

I'm afraid Sudbury is going to regret making this trade.
Hugg, Hugg, Hugg.... What is your fascination with this guy?
Are you Hugg?

member 236327

Sounds to me like you need a Hugg man Group Hugg everybody!

You guys are friendly here, all I get in the Sudbury group is reported..
Which is more than they can say for three of their last five 1st round picks... BA DUM TSSSSS

Reactions: Tarantula
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad