Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EON

EON Moderator

2. Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue Registered User

And then there's this.......from Brown's article:

Five Kitchener Rangers rank among the top 35 in Ontario Hockey League scoring. Forward Rickard Hugg is 18th overall with 31 points, ahead of teammates Joseph Garreffa (25), Jonathan Yantsis (26), Riley Damiani (31) and Greg Meireles (34).

Interesting stats considering our recent comments about the team.

3. KitRan

KitRan Registered User

Not sure if it has been mentioned but it is safe to say that there is no suspension for Sebrango considering the league has posted other suspensions for stuff that happened on that Friday and Saturday?

4. EvenSteven

EvenSteven Registered User

No so fast. Didn't look, but did these suspended players have a scheduled game before this Friday?

This league likes to leave players twisting in the wind for as long as possible while waiting to see if they are suspended or not.

Edit:
    Just looked. Cameron was scheduled to play the next night so they suspended indefinitely even though a 5 min headchecking major isn't an automatic suspension but I believe an automatic review. Since this weekend league's office doesn't work weekends, they'll review Cameron sometime this week.

Hillis' infraction was a match for slewfooting so that comes with an automatic suspension and review. Therefore, he didn't play in his next game.

Sebrango isn't scheduled to play again until Friday. So that means Branch has seven days to let this kid twist in the wind as to whether he'll be suspended or not. They'll probably let the Rangers know their decision Friday afternoon. Unacceptable. No reason his issue couldn't have been addressed by now.

Really, really dumb way for this league to do business.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Tim Wallach likes this.
  5. Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach Registered User

You're right Even. There is no defending the league for this.

6. EvenSteven

The sad thing about the Cameron suspension is that he has already served a game. The fact that it is still listed as indefinite on the league website tells me that they have not reviewed it yet.

What if they review it and find that it is a clean hit? The player has already served a game. If that is the case, what would wind up happening is that they'll hide the fact that they found it to be clean and instead say that it was only deserving of a one game suspension to cover their asses.

Again. Unacceptable.

7. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

It was not clean

8. EvenSteven

I didn't see the hit. But I was saying "what if" for arguments sake.

9. EvenSteven

According to the OHL website, Cameron is in the lineup tonight for the Colts. Hmmmm.

When's the last time this league gave a one game suspension for head checking?

10. three dog night

Ice Dogs in town tomorrow

11. Drop the Puck

Drop the Puck Registered User

Clean hit. Highlight actually.

EvenSteven likes this.
  12. three dog night

Cameron suspension still on the web site do not know if he played or it was an error

13. EvenSteven

Jacob Tortora with a hat trick last night. That's 6 goals and two assists in four games.

If he keeps it up, MM will have received way below market value for this asset.

14. EvenSteven

He played last night. Assisted on the winning goal.

Just watched a replay of the hit on the Barrie thread. 100% clean hit. Shoulder to shoulder. Apparently even the Niagara broadcast guys couldn't believe there was even a penalty on the play.

So my "what if" possibility above was obviously right. Clean hit and once the league got around to realizing it, decided no suspension. The problem is that Cameron had to sit out the game last Saturday because this so called weekend league couldn't review the play until after the weekend.

How does this player get that game back??

Unacceptable.

The Sebrango hit was the same type of hit - clean. If there is no suspension, Sebrango will have been lucky that the Rangers didn't play last Sat and/or Sun or he would've had to sit out those games(s) until Branch and his cronies got around to reviewing the play.

Rangers True Blue likes this.
  15. Rangers True Blue

Mike Farwell

@farwell_ohl
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    #OHLRangers D Donovan Sebrango will not be suspended for his hit last week on Erie's Alex Gritz. More insight with head coach @JayMcKee74 during this morning's Coach's Show at 10:30. @570NEWS

rangersblues likes this.
  16. Torgo

Torgo Registered User

Not really imo, it was rights to an asset and not a reported, contributing player being traded, generally value isn't the same. He wasn't coming here, so not trading him would have been pointless and it seems he had one team he wanted to go to.
    We pick up 2nd+3rd and another 2nd if he goes OA, plus the 2 conditional picks we had already traded to get his rights initially are returned (those would have gone to Barrie had he reported first and then been traded). If he reported, we give up those picks and then look to trade him.
    Maybe it looks better in the trade breakdown that way because we may have gotten those 2 traded back (rather than just seeing the conditions nullified), plus the 2nd,3rd and conditional 2nd (totalling three 2nds, a 3rd and conditional 2nd). That would have looked better, but been exactly the same at the end of the day (and fair value at current production).
    Sometimes it feels like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" here. When it was announced he was leaving NCAA, some here (you included if I'm not mistaken) didn't like the idea of him reporting because they didn't feel he'd be worth the two 2nds we'd be giving up based on his NCAA production. I'd rather get what we got than give up the 2nds to Barrie, have him report to our weaker team, not produce at a high level and minimize his value to the point we break even.

17. EvenSteven

...and had the Rangers played last Saturday or Sunday, Sebrango would've sat out while the league dragged its feet making a decision as is likely what happened to Cameron from Barrie.

rangersblues likes this.
  18. bobber

bobber Registered User

Just a point on Tortora. Looking at the replays that kid although a smaller type player has one hell of a hard accurate shot. He likely would have produced here but we already have quite a few smaller type players. He only wanted to play in Barrie. I was surprised MM did so well. I understand Even's point. The kid might be another Debrincat. Water under the bridge now.:)

19. Rangers True Blue

As per McKee, if the OHL would have suspended Sebrango, it would have been a difficult narrative to say "Donovan, scouts were writing down your name after that hit...but don't do it again." OHL made the right decision because it was a clean, hard hit.

ME: Now if we can just get Vuks fired up....

Torgo likes this.
  20. EvenSteven

Very good points. And yes you are right. I was one of the guys who did not want to see him come here, cost us the 2nds, and underperform.

OhSheila and Torgo like this.
  21. GeoBlue

GeoBlue Registered User

Gentles in as well for tonight.

22. EvenSteven

Crickets. I get it after tonight.

23. bobber

bobber Registered User

Last night we saw the difference between a contender and a team struggling to compete. The Ice Dogs are a contender this year. I had the impression the Rangers had some speed on their roster. The Dogs skated circles around the Rangers and seem to score at will. IMO it's time for the coach to give Pfeil the reins. The Richardson experiment is over. Rangers are what they are this year. They should get a good pick in the draft if the scouts know what they are doing but recently I have my doubts.

rangersblues and GeoBlue like this.
  24. OhSheila

OhSheila Registered User

As a hockey fan, watching the Ice Dogs was a thing of beauty. As a Rangers fan, it's a reminder of of pre-season prediction of a mid conference finish.

The Ice Dogs have it all, speed. skill, defense and size. It will be interesting seeing them play the Knights after the Knights make their moves. Sure gives the Rangers something to aim for. Might be time to add some more scouts or make some changes in that staff.

GeoBlue likes this.
  25. GeoBlue

GeoBlue Registered User

Agreed. Missed the game last night but it sounds like the last couple of Fridays. My manta is "Stick with Pfeil, dump the coach and scouting team, now". Then time to trade off some assets. It is not going to happen next year as you cannot build a team around one player (Damiani) and OA er's. As I mentioned earlier, I don't want to see us trade our way into a contender as we did last year. Let's hire someone that can identify raw talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.