Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If he wanted out it shouldn't have made a difference. A prospective trade partner wouldn't question why we'd be offering McHugh around. We're rebuilding.

However, in a case like the Vallati situation, if I'm a team fielding calls from MM, I'm wondering why the Rangers would be shopping a young up and coming former 1st round pick who just had a promising post season playoff and is NHL drafted. Hence the low ball return for Vallati.

And before anyone points out that the return for Vallati was fair (2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd), keep in mind that at the time of the trade, Vallati had two full seasons left to play in this league plus a possible OA season.

There are OA's this season going for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd who'll play less than one season for their destination team.
Good points. I think Nick was a premier penalty killer with blazing speed. Really disappointed they never kept him if the offers were what they received. He really earned his stripes in the play offs and the Rangers played worse with him out of the line up. Spilled milk now he's gone. 2nds are the currency these days. Guess MM thought he was worth less.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
That is an example of a player you hang onto and allow play an overage season on your team even though we are rebuilding again next year. I've said more than once before today that he is the guy I would keep and let all the rest be moved in trades.

He has a lot more value here next year as an overage setting example for our younger players that what we got in return for him in this deal
Coudn't agree more.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The more I think about the McHugh deal the more I'm sure it must have been done as a favour to him.

That's the type of garbage return you'd get in the off season. So I suspect sending him to play with his buddy is something he wanted.

section15

Dec 5, 2018
Its funny to read some of these posts.
I liked Nick and the energy he brought game in and game out, that being said he isn't at the level of many of the pieces moved by other teams to this point. That's plain and simple. and there are still a good number of very good players out there that aren't going to be moved that I am sure their GM's had kind of hoped would have brought them something back in a trade.

MM is a joke got robbed or wool pulled over his eyes....... if we (posters) could do better I suggest applying for the job.
My guess he looked at what he was being offered and what # of OA's he would have to deal with in the summer and did what he could. It takes 2 to dance a real dance. He can't make it happen on his own. To date I think he has proven to be pretty decent at what he does, I think I'll give him my vote of confidence, but thats me.
Anyway sad to see Nick go as he was fun to watch and really made an impact on a weaker team but he got us a few assets that will hopefully be used wisely to get us farther in the future.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
There won't likely be a 2nd part to the McHugh trade. That's reserved for much bigger trades. Like I said he's more valuable to us than other teams.

BIG FAIL!

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Its funny to read some of these posts.
I liked Nick and the energy he brought game in and game out, that being said he isn't at the level of many of the pieces moved by other teams to this point. That's plain and simple. and there are still a good number of very good players out there that aren't going to be moved that I am sure their GM's had kind of hoped would have brought them something back in a trade.

MM is a joke got robbed or wool pulled over his eyes....... if we (posters) could do better I suggest applying for the job.
My guess he looked at what he was being offered and what # of OA's he would have to deal with in the summer and did what he could. It takes 2 to dance a real dance. He can't make it happen on his own. To date I think he has proven to be pretty decent at what he does, I think I'll give him my vote of confidence, but thats me.
Anyway sad to see Nick go as he was fun to watch and really made an impact on a weaker team but he got us a few assets that will hopefully be used wisely to get us farther in the future.

If that's all MM cou get for McHugh - why bother. I said he was more valuable to us than other teams.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
that being said he isn't at the level of many of the pieces moved by other teams to this point. That's plain and simple.

Umm, I don't recall anyone on here ripping MM for not getting the same return for McHugh that other teams got for their elites.

Nobody was expecting multiple 2nds and 3rds. Just a fair return.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Nick would have made a hell of a PK guy on a contender. I am sure the other coaches saw this.
This is why it's confusing the trade was Missy. Wonder if some were notified they would be moved and he would only go to Missy.
MM is the GM. Every GM in the league takes a beating on forums.
Fans pay a price for tickets. They are part of the conversation also.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The fact that the best pick is over four years away is infuriating. Mississauga had plenty of picks sooner. To settle on that reeks of a throw away.

Exactly! Not only that, the 4th in the upcoming draft we got is Saginaw's 4th. That'll come near the end of that round. 16th to be exact.

May as well have been a 5th.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think Nick would have made a hell of a PK guy on a contender. I am sure the other coaches saw this.
This is why it's confusing the trade was Missy. Wonder if some were notified they would be moved and he would only go to Missy.

If they wanted to do him a favour they could have traded him next year at the deadline when he wasn't coming back the following season. Teams that are in 8th place with no real light at the end of the tunnel don't owe anyone favours. No excuses as far as I'm concerned.

It's like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic except they basically threw one of the best chairs overboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

We have no idea at this point if McHugh ever requested a trade or if he said he'd only go to Missy.

I have a hard time believing McHugh would refuse a trade to a contender.

I have a hard time believing that a contender wouldn't offer same return.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
We have no idea at this point if McHugh ever requested a trade or if he said he'd only go to Missy.

I have a hard time believing McHugh would refuse a trade to a contender.

I have a hard time believing that a contender wouldn't offer same return.
The team is being run into the ground. Obviously they dont expect to win or be playoff competitive with what they they left, so what is the plan? Just accumulate picks? I find myself agreeing with the other posters. This was a player I would not have traded , there's not enough like him on a team that I perceive to be soft.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Well that's business. Going to miss McHugh, he always gave it his all for the colours and I thought he was amazing last playoffs in the shut down role. Good luck to him as he continues his hockey career!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have to disagree with Mike Farwell's take last night regarding Meireles being the best Ranger in the game. Sure he played great, but the most entertaining thing about that game for me was the scrappiness of the game. The reason this game what as scrappy as it was was the play of Nick McHugh. He was responsible for 95% of it - start to finish. Without him in the game, it's probably just another ho hum game.

Somebody posted on here earlier that they would like to see us try to move Yantsis, Meireles, and Garreffa at the deadline but hang onto McHugh and have him as an OA next year for his leadership abilities. After watching last nights game, in truth, he would be the hardest of the four to see leave here if he were to be traded.

I posted this after the Dec 28 game vs Barrie. The consensus among fans on here was that they liked the fact it got chippy and there was some emotion in the game.

In a season when you're rebuilding, you'll lose more than you win. The fans need to be entertained - especially in rebuilding seasons.

The Barrie game was the kind of game that entertains the fans. I fear now that with McHugh gone, games like this will be few and far between.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I posted this after the Dec 28 game vs Barrie. The consensus among fans on here was that they liked the fact it got chippy and there was some emotion in the game.

In a season when you're rebuilding, you'll lose more than you win. The fans need to be entertained - especially in rebuilding seasons.

The Barrie game was the kind of game that entertains the fans. I fear now that with McHugh gone, games like this will be few and far between.

My dream is still Binky going out to centre ice in a top hat and coat tails and tap dancing to Let Me Entertain You.

Reactions: bobber

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Yup its going to be a slow and uninspired end to the season. We just got to buckle down and look for the positives

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'll be listening to the game tomorrow night on the radio. No doubt Farwell and Pope will put a team friendly spin this trade. No doubt they will give MacKenzie every accolade.

They turned my stomach last game when they were giddy about the possibility of the Rangers standing pat and climbing up the standings to as high as fifth in the conference.

They gushed about the possibility of Owen Sound and other sellers in the conference falling behind us. It bugged the crap out of me knowing that no matter where we finish in this conference, anywhere from 5th to 8th, we're going out the first round and we're going out easy.

I feel that way even moreso now with all the additions that three of the top four teams have made in the last few days. And I expect the Soo to make a couple additions as well.

All climbing up to fifth in the conference accomplishes is sabotaging our positions in the OHL and import drafts.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hey I'd give two seconds and a third but its Boyd you need to convince:laugh::naughty::thumbu:
Is all that just for one player? Okay I give. Throw in Yantsis and we take it! Sucker!:eek: Just joshing. Whatever happens happens. Fans wanted players traded to get younger.
We go with what we have after the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirius67fan

Oryx05

Jan 13, 2018
I know this trade doesn't scream value, but we're not privy to the conversations.

McHugh, I like him, he seems to be a great kid, he isn't the kind of player thats going to net us 2nds. We don't have elite talent on this team, we shouldn't expect an elite return.

Was I expecting a better package? Absolutely. Looking at the trades that have taken place, there are a number where the return is underwhelming. Only players to receive the wow return have been the WJHC players, and thats usually expected.

Reactions: bobber and SYWTom

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I agree its a bit low historically but it seems to be the market currently. I know Mchugh is not comparable to Meireless but I was shocked at the low return you got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad